• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Wonder if they'll show of the rumored Donkey Kong game, too.
Could be a great way to end off the direct or be a penultimate announcement.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nowadays, it's hard to not generalize because of how blatantly obvious and not that far off a good amount of them are from each other after last year and this year.
Right, like mariotehplumber, who started the conversation, and your stock CEO billionaire, who we're now equating with him. It's pretty easy not to generalize those two together.

You know mtp's plan wasn't to destroy or bogart the amiibos, it was to scalp them for profit. Which most retellings don't report on. He also used help from friends and family to acquire them. He's just a pair of clown shoes with ridiculous and spiteful motives, but nothing about this screams exorbitantly wealthy, just opportunistic and petulant. If you're really in the caviar club, the money you'd make reselling amiibos is chump change. It's also a lot of effort.

I mean if you buy 100 Rosalina amiibos at MSRP, as he claimed, that's a few thousand dollars, which, while a tremendous waste of money (unless you do actually scalp them all), is not something only millionaires can afford.

Plus we don't know if this guy overdrew his accounts doing this, it's not exactly like he's the soundest of minds. Or if he was just selling them off at a rate to perpetuate ordering more.

It also diminishes the chances of him being the culprit of the Grinch leak since there was no financial gain to doing that, unlike scalping amiibos.

You only go from this fringe character on the internet to "lemme tell you about billionaires" with a healthy dose of generalizing.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Jeez mate- I spent a lot of effort avoiding Dread spoilers...
He’s literally on the key art?
81FE9F1B-5DE7-4E4D-B89C-CB65A3B78BC3.jpeg

he was literally teased in Samus Returns?
60DCC69B-91F6-4C67-8323-B9A1540C789F.jpeg

I mean apologies you got spoiled but this is literally the most unspoilery thing about Dread. Dude is literally front of the box, opening cutscene, very first trailer, main antagonist of the game…

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
metroid fans screaming when they get told ridley comes back at the end of the game but again

Jokes aside, I feel like if it's a major plot spoiler, they probably wouldn't have had so much foreshadowing for it... it seems weird that it's supposed to be like a big secret, because non-Metroid fans don't really know what the Chozo are, so I don't personally think it's going to be a major plot thing. Then again, I'm probably wrong LMAO

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
metroid fans screaming when they get told ridley comes back at the end of the game but again

Jokes aside, I feel like if it's a major plot spoiler, they probably wouldn't have had so much foreshadowing for it... it seems weird that it's supposed to be like a big secret, because non-Metroid fans don't really know what the Chozo are, so I don't personally think it's going to be a major plot thing. Then again, I'm probably wrong LMAO
The dude is the reason Samus loses her upgrades this time and ends up in the heart of the planet. He starts the entire adventure. It may be a plot “spoiler” if you literally avoid what the game is about in it’s entirety but he shows up literally in the first 5 minutes of the game. Now that other character showing up was a spoiler I could’ve done without but hey, it happened, I saw it, I’m excited for it, no harm there.

Edit: also it’s weird that people are obsessed with Spoilers in a Metroid game considering 90% of story telling in Metroid games is lore based and not plot based.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
While it's true Big [DUDE] is going to be probably a major player & apparear quite early in the story, I still feel we should respect peoples who want to go into Dread as blind as possible.

'cuz the less you know, the more "woah" a game will be, ya know?

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
While it's true Big [DUDE] is going to be probably a major player & apparear quite early in the story, I still feel we should respect peoples who want to go into Dread as blind as possible.

'cuz the less you know, the more "woah" a game will be, ya know?
I mean sure I agree but I feel like Dude should be about as common knowledge as the Emmi at this point. Being in the first trailer, being on the new Key art that’s everywhere and being revealed/teased 4 years ago. Spoilers are different to everyone so maybe it was slightly out of my way to show the character but I don’t really feel like I can discuss the character without showing the character I’m talking about on a character discussion board but it is what it is.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Edit: also it’s weird that people are obsessed with Spoilers in a Metroid game considering 90% of story telling in Metroid games is lore based and not plot based.
This is why the most recent trailer showing a nearly filled out world map is the only spoiler that actually annoys me. Though tbh it was such a small glimpse I'll probably forget most every detail in a month. Other than that hey Metroid is basically just a cartoonish action movie. Samus isn't gonna grow or learn any lessons lol we know how Metroid games start and finish. It's all about that wonderful exploratory and atmospheric journey.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Right, like mariotehplumber, who started the conversation, and your stock CEO billionaire, who we're now equating with him. It's pretty easy not to generalize those two together.

You know mtp's plan wasn't to destroy or bogart the amiibos, it was to scalp them for profit. Which most retellings don't report on. He also used help from friends and family to acquire them. He's just a pair of clown shoes with ridiculous and spiteful motives, but nothing about this screams exorbitantly wealthy, just opportunistic and petulant. If you're really in the caviar club, the money you'd make reselling amiibos is chump change. It's also a lot of effort.

I mean if you buy 100 Rosalina amiibos at MSRP, as he claimed, that's a few thousand dollars, which, while a tremendous waste of money (unless you do actually scalp them all), is not something only millionaires can afford.

Plus we don't know if this guy overdrew his accounts doing this, it's not exactly like he's the soundest of minds. Or if he was just selling them off at a rate to perpetuate ordering more.

It also diminishes the chances of him being the culprit of the Grinch leak since there was no financial gain to doing that, unlike scalping amiibos.

You only go from this fringe character on the internet to "lemme tell you about billionaires" with a healthy dose of generalizing.
Let me tell you something about billionaires

Batman is a bilionaire and he’s pretty cool.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean sure I agree but I feel like Dude should be about as common knowledge as the Emmi at this point. Being in the first trailer, being on the new Key art that’s everywhere and being revealed/teased 4 years ago. Spoilers are different to everyone so maybe it was slightly out of my way to show the character but I don’t really feel like I can discuss the character without showing the character I’m talking about on a character discussion board but it is what it is.
Personally, I don't mind spoilers, but I know some folks here aren't like as big Metroid fans as we are (some may be even newcomer thanks to Dread), so some details that are "obvious" to us may not for some users, who prefer keeping the surprise for later.

Not to say we shouldn't talk about Dread at all until release however, Spoiler Tag are the best thing to use in this kind of situation I say.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is why the most recent trailer showing a nearly filled out world map is the only spoiler that actually annoys me. Though tbh it was such a small glimpse I'll probably forget most every detail in a month. Other than that hey Metroid is basically just a cartoonish action movie. Samus isn't gonna grow or learn any lessons lol we know how Metroid games start and finish. It's all about that wonderful exploratory and atmospheric journey.
I’m glad I missed that Map then. That’s literally a pretty big spoiler to me. Other than that I’m good as long as the game is.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Considering how MercurySteam handled the map in SR and the Treehouse footage they didn't show nearly as much as you think, but the lore and story are why people were so excited for a post Fusion game

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Imagine if in this game when you go back to the ship the animals from Fusion are still there lol
Instead of that the final battle takes place in the core of the planet and the animals crash Samus’s ship through six layers of the planets crust and crush the final boss to save her. Peak storytelling.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Okay, when we do get this Direct, what aside from Smash do you guys think we could see?

Splatoon 3 and a new Xenoblade seem to be the two biggest possibilities. Maybe BOTW2 could get a little extra news?

Dread will probably get a shoutout, maybe Prime 4 could get a release window or at least an update.
Bayonetta 3. If I say it enough, it will happen, right?

I'd like to think we'd get some kind of a Nintendo Switch Online update, whether it's Game Boy or Nintendo 64. They've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for what feels like a year now - it seems like the last substantial update was DKC3 back in December 2020, and since then, it's been months of silence followed by games that nobody seemed to be asking for. (even though Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound still aren't on there for whatever reason - they're first party titles that were released on the previous console, so I'm not sure why they're left out) It seems time to add something new and give people a reason to stick with the Switch's online subscription.

I feel like we could get a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 announcement, or a Breath of the Wild 2 title reveal.

As for third party stuff, I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind seeing Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition make it to Switch, but I don't know how likely that is. I think the developers of Slap City said that they were working on a Switch version of that game a while ago, so maybe a trailer for that?

While it would be nice to have something like Wolfenstein: The New Order on Switch (it seems weird to have a sequel on there but not the original), I doubt that Bethesda will prioritize that all things considered.

Having a release of the Mass Effect trilogy on the Switch would be nice (doubt it would be the Legendary Edition, but I'd have no problem with the originals), though it seems like it would be a lot of work and likely wouldn't be seen as worth it.

I'd love to see an announcement for Mega Man X9, but that seems more likely to happen at a Capcom-specific event, since I figure it would be multi-platform.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This last trailer felt like a Sakurai presents since it gave so much detail like a beginners tutorial. I'm excited to play this game. I think as we get older we lose some perspective, in this case what it's like for someone who hasn't played a 2d metroid since snes.

As for spoilers/previews I've seen enough at this point. I was surprised they did another trailer with SO much detail. Maybe this direct will be unwatchable for some because dread spoilers :4pacman:

MaplePie

Smash Cadet
This may seem out of reach, but I think there's a chance that a Mother Trilogy could be used to promote the last Smash DLC(specifically a Mother character). It's odd that Nintendo keeps avoiding adding EB and EB Beginnings to the switch nes, snes library, I look at the comments and it's either just Earthbound and Super Mario RPG most of the time. I understand they'll have to go through Square Enix for SM RPG but I don't think Nintendo would have any problem porting the two eb games on the snes nes library. EB and EB beginnings were best sellers on the wii u, so it just seems kind of odd that it's been 4 years, and it's still not on the switch.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Given what I've seen, I think Dread's story is going to be great.
Figuring out whether the Chozo General is really a friend or foe, exploring a planet you know nothing of, discovering that not all the X Parasites were destroyed, and evading whatever the hell those E.M.M.Is are.

Can't wait to get it.
And it comes out close to my birthday too. : )

Ivander

Smash Legend

My post wasn't comparing mariotehplumber with your stock CEO billionaire and was talking about how last year and this year showed how little regard "quite a bunch" had for other people and how blatantly obvious they showed it that it's not easy to try to separate the good ones from the bad ones.

Last year and this year have really soured my views on some subjects, and one of the ads I'm constantly seeing is not helping.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The chozo guy could be a really interesting character based solely on what we've seen IMO, and that's still whilst considering they only seem to have an arm cannon. What if they could charge their blaster whilst performing attacks? Imagine charging stuff like Water Shuriken but you're still able to use all your moves aside from the move you're charging itself. Will be a nice way to incorporate the dread and formidability of the game and it's enemies. Maybe a side b like Ridley's where it's a command grab but they just hold the opponent up then throw them forward for setups, maybe even into the arm cannon shot itself..

Maybe they could summon a chozo mook for an attack, and maybe this could be cancelled out of at the cost of losing access to the moves that use them until the attacks end, kinda like Duck Hunt's wild gunman. I don't think a summoner should be the core thing on display here since this Chozo guy seems to be displaced from even the race it hails from, so summoning random mooks might lean too hard into suggesting a lack of CQC options, when it's clear that it doesn't mind getting in a few scrapes. Greater stage control limiting the actual stage would be a great way of referencing dread actually, as the EMMI acting dependently seems to be one of the key reasons that the game gives off such a vibe. Aside from that, I'd imagine the stats being close to Bowser, in the sense that they're fast, heavy and powerful, with better range and frame data, at the cost of a larger build like Ganondorf. So pretty much the mage Ganondorf everyone wants, except placed on a cool bird warrior thing.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This may seem out of reach, but I think there's a chance that a Mother Trilogy could be used to promote the last Smash DLC(specifically a Mother character). It's odd that Nintendo keeps avoiding adding EB and EB Beginnings to the switch nes, snes library, I look at the comments and it's either just Earthbound and Super Mario RPG most of the time. I understand they'll have to go through Square Enix for SM RPG but I don't think Nintendo would have any problem porting the two eb games on the snes nes library. EB and EB beginnings were best sellers on the wii u, so it just seems kind of odd that it's been 4 years, and it's still not on the switch.
I dunno about a Smash character, but Earthbound and Earthbound Beginnings being absent could certainly lead to some other form of rerelease. It’s gotta happen eventually right? Right?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Okay, when we do get this Direct, what aside from Smash do you guys think we could see?

Splatoon 3 and a new Xenoblade seem to be the two biggest possibilities. Maybe BOTW2 could get a little extra news?

Dread will probably get a shoutout, maybe Prime 4 could get a release window or at least an update.
Splatoon 3, perhaps a new Xenoblade. New Kirby. GameBoy on NSO. A bit of the new Pokémon games. Dread’ll definitely get focused on…

I really wanna see the rumored DK game but I’m not feeling it this time.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The chozo guy could be a really interesting character based solely on what we've seen IMO, and that's still whilst considering they only seem to have an arm cannon. What if they could charge their blaster whilst performing attacks? Imagine charging stuff like Water Shuriken but you're still able to use all your moves aside from the move you're charging itself. Will be a nice way to incorporate the dread and formidability of the game and it's enemies. Maybe a side b like Ridley's where it's a command grab but they just hold the opponent up then throw them forward for setups, maybe even into the arm cannon shot itself..

Maybe they could summon a chozo mook for an attack, and maybe this could be cancelled out of at the cost of losing access to the moves that use them until the attacks end, kinda like Duck Hunt's wild gunman. I don't think a summoner should be the core thing on display here since this Chozo guy seems to be displaced from even the race it hails from, so summoning random mooks might lean too hard into suggesting a lack of CQC options, when it's clear that it doesn't mind getting in a few scrapes. Greater stage control limiting the actual stage would be a great way of referencing dread actually, as the EMMI acting dependently seems to be one of the key reasons that the game gives off such a vibe. Aside from that, I'd imagine the stats being close to Bowser, in the sense that they're fast, heavy and powerful, with better range and frame data, at the cost of a larger build like Ganondorf. So pretty much the mage Ganondorf everyone wants, except placed on a cool bird warrior thing.
The Chozo Warrior may not only need to use the arm cannon. In-game and even on the key art that NSG posted, we've have Chozo robots/warriors using spears in combat, so the idea of the Chozo warrior summoning a spear for some attacks may not be out of place, especially since we haven't seen their boss battle.
He’s literally on the key art?
View attachment 330072
And can I just mention how awesome looking the one red Chozo Warrior on the bottom looks? With us seeing what the Power Suit would look like on a Chozo? Really cool seeing the Chozo link between Samus' equipment and the Chozo's equipment.

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Splatoon 3, perhaps a new Xenoblade. New Kirby. GameBoy on NSO. A bit of the new Pokémon games. Dread’ll definitely get focused on…

I really wanna see the rumored DK game but I’m not feeling it this time.
I'm really skeptical about NSO at this point, like, I'd be shocked to see so much as 2 new SNES games nobody's heard of. My bets are on Lester the Unlikely and Ballz as a surprise pick

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If, I repeat I F that bonus spot on the eShop is something and it’s a bonus character

I can’t see it being anything more than an echo. Maybe a semi-clone if we’re lucky

The Return of Jane, aka Violet, anyone? 👀

though I personally am still leaning on it being a three stage pack of new stages with their own music. A Xenoblade X stage being one of them.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
What did I just read
Yeah just imagine someone taking that post, time travelling to the past and then presenting that post as a glimpse of what future smash speculation is about to become without the slightest context.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
The Chozo Warrior may not only need to use the arm cannon. In-game and even on the key art that NSG posted, we've have Chozo robots/warriors using spears in combat, so the idea of the Chozo warrior summoning a spear for some attacks may not be out of place, especially since we haven't seen their boss battle.

And can I just mention how awesome looking the one red Chozo Warrior on the bottom looks? With us seeing what the Power Suit would look like on a Chozo? Really cool seeing the Chozo link between Samus' equipment and the Chozo's equipment.
IK, I was thinking about that but it doesn't seem they have one unless this is from an early encounter in the game. TBH, the fact that they're solely relying on their own skill and arm cannon right now to me, gives the impression of a powerful villain more than using a weapon but of course this could change.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While we're talking Big Bird Chozoman, there's a couple things we've seen in the trailer that could help differentiate him from Samus. I'd take some screenshots but SB doesn't want to send them so I'll just have to point out the timestamps instead.

• At 0:33, we get to see his Power Beam, which is a literal beam and not just a projectile. It's also extremely devastating and causes a massive explosion. I feel like it would be less of a zoning tool like Samus' Charge Shot and more like a long-range Warlock Punch (Or Byleth's fully-charged Failnaught).
  • Right after at 0:37 we get to see him do a big leap. Not much, but he doesn't seem like he's lacking in movement options.
  • 0:50, he tanks Samus' blasts with some sort of forcefield. Potentially some sort of anti-projectile special?
  • He seems to create an energy javelin at that same timestamp and charges Samus with it, which could be used for a charging move and potentially some other melee moves as well.
  • 1:08, he bolts forward and grabs Samus by the neck, a la Ganondorf's Warlock Choke, and blasts her point-blank
So yeah, not much to go off of but it seems like he'd be a distinct heavyweight rather than a Samus clone.

Last edited:

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
While we're talking Big Bird Chozoman, there's a couple things we've seen in the trailer that could help differentiate him from Samus. I'd take some screenshots but SB doesn't want to send them so I'll just have to point out the timestamps instead.

• At 0:33, we get to see his Power Beam, which is a literal beam and not just a projectile. It's also extremely devastating and causes a massive explosion. I feel like it would be less of a zoning tool like Samus' Charge Shot and more like a long-range Warlock Punch (Or Byleth's fully-charged Failnaught).
  • Right after at 0:37 we get to see him do a big leap. Not much, but he doesn't seem like he's lacking in movement options.
  • 0:50, he tanks Samus' blasts with some sort of forcefield. Potentially some sort of anti-projectile special?
  • He seems to create an energy javelin at that same timestamp and charges Samus with it, which could be used for a charging move and potentially some other melee moves as well.
  • 1:08, he bolts forward and grabs Samus by the neck, a la Ganondorf's Warlock Choke, and blasts her point-blank
So yeah, not much to go off of but it seems like he'd be a distinct heavyweight rather than a Samus clone.
Big Bird Chozoman? Someone should do a photo edit with Big Bird from Sesame Street's face over the Chozo guy.

That aside, that trailer and all things you pointed out are interesting.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord

With the javelin thing in question, does it disappear when he charges at Samus with it or is it just a a fault of the perspective? I definitely saw it although it seems to just turn into a red aura when the perspective shifts to that of Samus's. Well, that or it's just a really cool visual effect.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
With the javelin thing in question, does it disappear when he charges at Samus with it or is it just a a fault of the perspective? I definitely saw it although it seems to just turn into a red aura when the perspective shifts to that of Samus's. Well, that or it's just a really cool visual effect.
Yeah, that bit confuses me too. It goes pretty quickly and the way it's angled means the shot's pretty hard to make out. I'm not entirely sure if it's actually a javelin thrust or if he just punches her.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Chozo boi only really makes it if Nintendo chooses him as a promotional pick. Which is entirely possible since Nintendo is choosing the fighters. Now whether that upsets people or not is an entirely different story. Some people have this idea that the last pick is gonna be huuuge.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Chozo boi only really makes it if Nintendo chooses him as a promotional pick. Which is entirely possible since Nintendo is choosing the fighters. Now whether that upsets people or not is an entirely different story. Some people have this idea that the last pick is gonna be huuuge.
Isn't that just speculation in general, though?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom