• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I love how much people adore the Dread suit lmao, it probably won't ever be in Smash like the proper Fusion Suit but mods would work like a charm for it
It depends on how big Dread is tbh. It has a lot of hype rn as well as being on the Switch which often has crazy attachment rates. I think there’s a chance it could become the biggest Metroid game yet. If that happens, I think that armor will get some love in the next Smash.

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Anyone can fit any theory if you reach hard enough.

For example:
View attachment 323485
It's time bois.
Sakurai NEVER mentions Persona without saying “Megami Tensei”(which is not Persona’s Megaten subtitle), or “Shin Megami Tensei”.

With SMT V coming out, the big Persona anniversary and Atlus basically just popping off all of the time now(even during the Dante mii costume reveal), I would say Nahobino is the final character.

For future 3rd party reveals in later Smash games I basically expect:

1. Crash(I think Nintendo getting Banjo was just because he used to be a Nintendo property but his appearance really opened up demand for western reps as a consequence and Crash is THAT western platformer not in Smash yet with the legacy)

2. Adol(Falcom needs a rep considering they are one of the pioneers of action RPGs and Falcom is growing pretty fast kind of like Atlus)

3. Ryu Hayabusa(Koei Tecmo is too buddy buddy with Nintendo now not to get a rep in the future and considering the Warriors games feature either real historical figures or other franchises not owned by Koei I think Ryu will be the rep with his legacy and history with Nintendo)

4. Jonesy(I think Minecraft set a new precedent for extremely popular games getting reps to boost Smash’s reach and Fortnite is the best thing for that after Minecraft)

5. Monster Hunter Stories rep(While the main series is much bigger than Stories, Capcom wants the monsters to be representing the main series and monsters are bosses in Smash, so the next best thing is a rider, and Stories 2 is actually pretty successful considering the relative failure of Stories 1, so Stories 3 will definitely be big enough to properly represent Monster Hunter as a fighter in the future)

The rest of them will have to depend on when later games in big series come out.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
It depends on how big Dread is tbh. It has a lot of hype rn as well as being on the Switch which often has crazy attachment rates. I think there’s a chance it could become the biggest Metroid game yet. If that happens, I think that armor will get some love in the next Smash.
Either way, it's definitely going to outsell Other M.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It also topped preorders on Amazon in the week of E3 and in the UK Amazon raised it's price from £50 to £60 (roughly $70) which they only tend to do if they're expecting BOTW levels of success.
I do think Dread might be Metroid's FE: Awakening.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh I don't doubt Dread will be in the top 3 best selling Metroid games, I just think Dread may be outdated by the time we get a new Smash

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Speaking of mods, I don’t know how many here follow the modding scene but it looks like they mostly fixed the one slot issue. I think the only problems now are with Pac Man and Steve.
One slot issue? What’s that?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One slot issue? What’s that?
Before this week, if you ported a model over a character, you had to replace every outfit with that model. In previous games, you could port a different model and voice to each outfit slot. They recently found a solution that makes everyone except Pac Man and Steve work like before so each outfit slot can have a unique model and voice.

One thing Brawl modding could do that they are still trying tofigure out in Ultimate is actually adding outfit slots and character slots. It looks like they just recently figured out how to import stages now so things are coming along.

Just take a look at this video to see what’s possible now. This guy is an awesome modder and I’ve known him since when I used to make Brawl mods:

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It's definitely going to be one of the best selling Metroid games if not the best one. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Switch as a platform is super popular, there's more interest now in Metroid than ever, Nintendo has marketed the game properly since it's reveal, and so on.

Expecting 2-3 million for Dread it's reasonable, I think. And if it ends being very good and the word my mouth is strong, I could see the game achieving even 4 or 5 million. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's definitely going to be one of the best selling Metroid games if not the best one. I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Switch as a platform is super popular, there's more interest now in Metroid than ever, Nintendo has marketed the game properly since it's reveal, and so on.

Expecting 2-3 million for Dread it's reasonable, I think. And if it ends being very good and the word my mouth is strong, I could see the game achieving even 4 or 5 million. Maybe I'm being too optimistic though lol
I think Dread is probably good for 1.5m at minimum, and 3m at most. It depends on how good the game is, word of mouth will be pretty important for it, but I do expect it to sell well regardless given its great release window. I'm not sure a 2D Metroid can outsell/match a game like Three Houses in this day and age though, the series has a reputation to rebuild first.

If Prime 4 ever sees the light of day, that's when I expect the big numbers. I feel like its turbulent development cycle will only help its sales, it's sort of become this mythological game because of it. A first person sci-fi shooter is also a very easy sell to the masses, especially on a console that doesn't have many, if any strong alternatives to it. I could absolutely see that game breaking 5m sales, especially if Dread doing well can give Nintendo the confidence to market Prime 4 as their big game of the year (likely for 2023).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Double it: I won't be surprised if Dread is one of the best selling Switch games, maybe selling over 10 million copies within a 1-2 year span.

Also, good morning/afternoon/evening!
That would be cool but I think that’s probably a bit unrealistic. What is the current highest selling Metroid game? I would be a bit surprised if it was even a quarter of that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Seeing how the switch is a giant cash machine and produces great sales within most games upsets me that we don’t have the Layton trilogy on the switch.

It Would produce massive sales on the switch. I wonder what happened to the games since they were leaked to be coming to the switch. Either scrapped completely I guess or shelved until further down the line.

There’s soo many games out there that aren’t on the switch yet that are just screaming for a port to the switch because of how much money they could make.

TTYD, super paper Mario, Metroid trilogy, Lm 2, wii sports, other Zelda games, other franchises that are hardly spoken off etc

Willbuysmash4mw

Smash Journeyman
Oh I don't doubt Dread will be in the top 3 best selling Metroid games, I just think Dread may be outdated by the time we get a new Smash
Probably because of Prime 4.

Unless Retro really messes up it is almost guaranteed to outsell even Dread due to the eagerness for that game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That would be cool but I think that’s probably a bit unrealistic. What is the current highest selling Metroid game? I would be a bit surprised if it was even a quarter of that.
Metroid Prime is the series' highest selling game at 2.84m, so yeah. I won't put it past Dread to potentially become the best selling Metroid game, but 10m is very, very optimistic. If Dread even gets close to Prime, that's going to be a huge success.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
So after the Activision allegations how do we feel about Crash now?
Was probably unlikely for smash anyways. Hasn’t this been going on since 2018. Would probably be a major problem for Nintendo. Just speculation though and guessing.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
It changes nothing about his chances nor does Nintendo, a company currently profitting off of concentration camps, really care. It's absolutely disgusting, sure, but all too common in the gaming industry
Wasn't really asking in terms of his chances or likelyhood, just "after hearing that do you still want him in the game?"

Don't bring Crash into this. Activision didn't create him.
They own him now though, so if he was going to be in Smash Nintendo would have to negioiate with ATVI

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Don't bring Crash into this. Activision didn't create him.
I feel the same way about Blizzard. It sucks they got dragged into all of Activision’s problems. They used to be a great and respected company before the merger. It might make me sound like a bad person, but I just can’t stop liking Blizzard’s characters and lore despite what their company has become. I still like Borderlands and Gearbox is also a terrible company.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So after the Activision allegations how do we feel about Crash now?
In my opinion

Unless Nintendo is willing to back out of a formerly made deal due to certain unfortunate circumstances, then I think getting content from them is still possible.

Remember that totally off theory that Tracer from OW was supposed to be Challenger Pack 5 but was scrapped last minute and replaced with Byleth because of the Blizzard-Hong Kong controversy? Yes, that was a theory, apparently...

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I almost wish that Activision would just go under so a more respectable developer could pick up their IP. It sucks having to feel guilty about supporting Blizzard’s characters.

Staarih

Smash Master
I do think Dread will become the best selling Metroid (2,8m doesn't seem too much of a high bar to reach), but I also think that Metroid Prime 4 is where the big numbers are at and if anything, that game will become the defining Metroid game of which Samus takes elements in Smash moving forward.

I do love Samus' design in Dread though.

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
In my opinion

Unless Nintendo is willing to back out of a formerly made deal due to certain unfortunate circumstances, then I think getting content from them is still possible.

Remember that totally off theory that Tracer from OW was supposed to be Challenger Pack 5 but was scrapped last minute and replaced with Byleth because of the Blizzard-Hong Kong controversy? Yes, that was a theory, apparently...
Wasn't that suppose to be the Hunter from Monster Hunter?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I very highly doubt Nintendo would scrap a character already in development just because of a controversy with a company, especially if that character is far along. That would be a great way to completely kill Nintendo’s relationship with that company. Activision still has games in development for Nintendo so that’s more evidence something like that never happened.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Dread is probably good for 1.5m at minimum, and 3m at most. It depends on how good the game is, word of mouth will be pretty important for it, but I do expect it to sell well regardless given its great release window. I'm not sure a 2D Metroid can outsell/match a game like Three Houses in this day and age though, the series has a reputation to rebuild first.

If Prime 4 ever sees the light of day, that's when I expect the big numbers. I feel like its turbulent development cycle will only help its sales, it's sort of become this mythological game because of it. A first person sci-fi shooter is also a very easy sell to the masses, especially on a console that doesn't have many, if any strong alternatives to it. I could absolutely see that game breaking 5m sales, especially if Dread doing well can give Nintendo the confidence to market Prime 4 as their big game of the year (likely for 2023).
Yeah, Prime 4 is the one that has been generating expectation for years and assuming it's really good, which should be the case, it will easily surpass Dread and any other Metroid game I think.

Being a 3D game, in first person, and all of that... well, probably means a bigger budget, and for that and other reasons more people will look into a Prime game rather than a 2D game, unfortunately.

I think Dread making 2-4 million would be possible and fantastic news. While Nintendo probably has higher expectations for Prime 4, which they will probably market more. That's where I'm a bit worried about because while it is definitely going to be the best selling game in the whole franchise, I don't know if it will be able to achieve 7 million for example. 5 or 6, yeah, I could see that. But more than that.... I feel that the game would need to be really, really good, like, platform defining title, a strong word by mouth and made it more into the mainstream, kinda like what happened with Breath of the Wild.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Real talk tho, I have a feeling that before support ends we’ll get a Tracer Gunner Mii and/or Overwatch Spirit Event. Surprised neither thing has happened yet
Yeah, Tracer seems like a perfect fit for a Mii gunner. I’m still hoping for a playable character from WarCraft, StarCraft, or Diablo personally. Overwatch looks cool and all but I have no personal attachment to it since I’ve never played it.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Going into the final character it’s gonna be interesting to see if the 40 name list leak is real or not. I’m on the idea that it’s not real but there’s still the possibility that it is since to be fair it’s called the whole of fighter pass 1 and Steve.

I don’t really want it to be real because I’d rather go into the last character surprised but if it’s real then we probably already have an idea of who it’ll come down to. Hope it’s not real though.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Going into the final character it’s gonna be interesting to see if the 40 name list leak is real or not. I’m on the idea that it’s not real but there’s still the possibility that it is since to be fair it’s called the whole of fighter pass 1 and Steve.

I don’t really want it to be real because I’d rather go into the last character surprised but if it’s real then we probably already have an idea of who it’ll come down to. Hope it’s not real though.
It didn't, however, have Min Min or anything else ARMS-related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom