• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I want this solely for the possible winquotes against Link
If his taunts aren't "I'm the best", "You suck", and a cool pose, and if he had a personalized and well written insult for most* characters for his win quote, then I might find him tolerable, and maybe even entertaining.

As it stands though, if there's a character that could be added to Super Smash Bros. that I still wouldn't like after the fact, it would be Rivalli. I'd probably still be fine with his presence, but I wouldn't like him as a character in this scenario.

*I say most because it's probably not a good idea to insult the Mii Fighters, and he'd better leave poor Lucas alone. EDIT: Otherwise, I'd welcome the interseries interactions. There really should be more than Palutena's Guidance and the Codex conversations.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
  • Rivali would be a projectile character, likely with a mechanic similar to Peach's Float attached.
    • He would also be the most annoying character in the game, as all of his quotes would either be heavily sarcastic, a boast, or a straight up insult against his opponent.
I like Revali because his name sounds like pasta.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Haha maybe don't get so defensive and actually read the context that this is just an example.

Man people need to get some reading comprehension.
oh, I read it wrong? My bad, B
Byleth was my most wanted character for DLC, but there's no doubt that divisive is probably the most diplomatic way to describe the initial reception to his inclusion.
Yeah thats true. I think my reaction was because of Im so used to seeig ****ing dumb ass twitter users using Byleth hate as a punchline, lol

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Today's Ryu's birthday!
Ryu from Streets. I hear he likes jumping into light fierce, stale bread, water without any ice, the newest season of the Simpsons aaaand dirt.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Ah **** here we go again
Lucas AND Dark Pit glitches? Hoo boy...
The promised looking back in this and talking about how it now makes sense will commence.

Probably a result of testing the torso invincibility of Kazuya's crouch-dash.

Reminiscing has ceased.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Soul Calibur was a great series with taunting intros and victory speeches.

Don't
Cry.

;.;

So another play at odds the last dlc will either be a hero, villain and maybe a third other but I think we're in for a final villain to unseat the most villainous character to date (which is.......... 🧐). I'm leaning 60/40 it's a villain. Villin'

Edit I May have to give the Crashiversary Bundle a go... Crash Confirmed ggs nah >.>;

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If Smash 6 doesn't have Samus with her Dread suit (or Prime 4 suit assuming it looks cool) as default I'll be mad.

Never liked the Other M design. I could understand Sakurai keeping it for Samus if said game was very loved and popular by fans... but that's not the case. I guess they didn't have time for that or didn't even thought of changing it lol

kylexv

Smash Master
If Smash 6 doesn't have Samus with her Dread suit (or Prime 4 suit assuming it looks cool) as default I'll be mad.

Never liked the Other M design. I could understand Sakurai keeping it for Samus if said game was very loved and popular by fans... but that's not the case. I guess they didn't have time for that or didn't even thought of changing it lol
They kept the Other M suit because it was still the most recent game in the series at the start of development. I guess Sakurai wasn't knowledgeable of Samus Returns' development until it was officially announced either.

ZelDan

Smash Master

I've never really had any preference with any Varia suit over another tbh.

that said I agree that it would be cool to have the Dread suit be Samus' default suit in the next Smash game or maybe Prime 4's if it looks great too.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I do wonder if they'll use the Dread Suit as the default, I would've assumed they would keep some variation of an orange suit since she's always had that as her default color scheme in Smash but I guess if Link can suddenly wear the blue tunic as his default in Ultimate after always having green tunic in the first four games, it could certainly be possible for Samus's orange suit to be relegated to an alt just like Link's green tunic was. (Although I guess with Link it was more offset by the fact that we had both Toon Link and Young Link there to act as the green Links we all were used to).

Of course another big factor is the fact that Smash 6 will probably be years off, and Prime 4 will most likely be out by then, so that'll probably be the default they use (unless an even newer game comes out afterwards).

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Dread Samus's redesign is legit the only reason why I'm even remotely interested in Metroid so yeah, I'm all for that being her default for the next Smash game (preferably with a moveset revamp as well)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I would have much rather had alternate outfits for existing characters than Mii outfits. I never really cared for Miis so I never really get hyped for Mii fighter announcements.
Yeah I’m not a fan of the Miis either. I don’t find them fun & I’ve always hated them in everything. I think they’re ugly & tacky.

I only find Mii costumes exciting because it’s representation for series that wouldn’t be in otherwise.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would have much rather had alternate outfits for existing characters than Mii outfits. I never really cared for Miss so I never really get hyped for Mii fighter announcements.
The Miis are built upon customization, and I think they're important enough to warrant the extra costumes, but I think it would be a good idea for the other fighters to get costumes as well, especially with how Spirits have proved that they make decent stand-ins for certain characters. Now, you can't just, say, make a Dante costume for Ike Koopaling style, and have that work (heck, it's not even ideal for the Koopalings IMO), but you could make themed costumes. Things that aren't trying to be the character, but are styled like them or their series.

1626920892626.png

Though...hopefully not all of them exude Bayonetta's wackiness. Not everyone could own such silly looking costumes. lol

Of course, the main issue is the fact that you're essentially redesigning characters, and every rights owner is going to have different opinions on what is and is not allowed in that regard. Everyone should be able to get at least a N64 style (or similar) look though, so nobody should be the poor soul(s) that get nothing for costumes (there's just a handful or more that wouldn't get any crossover costumes or costumes styled after other characters, which would be a bit sad).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
The Miis are built upon customization, and I think they're important enough to warrant the extra costumes, but I think it would be a good idea for the other fighters to get costumes as well, especially with how Spirits have proved that they make decent stand-ins for certain characters. Now, you can't just, say, make a Dante costume for Ike Koopaling style, and have that work (heck, it's not even ideal for the Koopalings IMO), but you could make themed costumes. Things that aren't trying to be the character, but are styled like them or their series.

View attachment 323683
Though...hopefully not all of them exude Bayonetta's wackiness. Not everyone could own such silly looking costumes. lol

Of course, the main issue is the fact that you're essentially redesigning characters, and every rights owner is going to have different opinions on what is and is not allowed in that regard. Everyone should be able to get at least a N64 style (or similar) look though, so nobody should be the poor soul(s) that get nothing for costumes (there's just a handful or more that wouldn't get any crossover costumes or costumes styled after other characters, which would be a bit sad).
Oh I just meant giving characters canon alts like Samus’ other suits, Shulk’s outfits, and other things like that. Original outfits made just for Smash as well as crossover outfits is a fun idea that I hadn’t previously considered.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Oh I just meant giving characters canon alts like Samus’ other suits, Shulk’s outfits, and other things like that. Original outfits made just for Smash as well as crossover outfits is a fun idea that I hadn’t previously considered.
Oh those? I would prefer outfits like those just be in the base game.

The dream is to have a pallet swap maker, where you get to color the characters in whatever costumes whatever you'd like (EDIT: With restrictions on the available colors for characters who's rights holders are against the idea of a neon pink Sephiroth or whatever). You could then throw in unlockable pallet swap maker exclusive alternate costumes, which could be a freaking awesome thing to work for, and dodges the "my favorite pallet swap was replaced with an alternate costume that I don't like" or even "why is Fire Mario not in the game it's like his most iconic power up".

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oh those? I would prefer outfits like those just be in the base game.

The dream is to have a pallet swap maker, where you get to color the characters in whatever costumes whatever you'd like (EDIT: With restrictions on the available colors for characters who's rights holders are against the idea of a neon pink Sephiroth or whatever). You could then throw in unlockable pallet swap maker exclusive alternate costumes, which could be a freaking awesome thing to work for, and dodges the "my favorite pallet swap was replaced with an alternate costume that I don't like" or even "why is Fire Mario not in the game it's like his most iconic power up".
I would love that and I don’t think it’s even that unreasonable to ask for. It seems like it should be easy enough to implement. Warriors Orochi has it and it has an even bigger roster than Smash.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Today's Ryu's birthday!
Cool! Some lucky people out there share their brithday witha really cool character.

Man, there has been a lot of birthdays and anniversaries lately, huh?
Makes sense. June/July along with November/December are great times to release projects. There are many notable reasons that coincide with these months that allow things like games and movies to flourish more easily. July through October are usually months with most births (though I have also read that in some countries march to may is more common). Meanwhile January and february are the dump months for less trusted projects (which is why lots of bad movies get dumped during these months) and its usually the months with less births.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

One of these characters gets added to Smash despite technically not existing. What you do?

Also, in unrelated news, Activision Blizzard is getting sued to heck and back for horrible work conduct. As in... every possible trigger warning you can think of. This doesn't affect Smash or anything (I mean, Nintendo worked with Konami), but I felt the need to mention it. No link though. Like I said, LOTS of trigger warnings here. LOTS.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I already have N. Sane Trilogy and Crash 4 on PS4 and Nitro Fueled on Switch. So while it's cool that's happening, it doesn't really affect me that much.
I really get misgrundled when bundles of games I own portions of, end up being less than buying the one remaining piece I need. I might as well buy them all again, since they won't discount CRASH 4 even slightly.[/quote]

Actually, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona are considered separate series' internally, at least if ATLUS and Sega financial reports and interviews are anything to go by.

And what is "undeserving" is not only completely subjective, but a stupid metric. And anyway, if the most influential JRPG series not to have any representation isn't deserving, I'd like to know what you think is.

Also, I could be way off, but the majority of people seem to either be open to or indifferent towards an SMT rep. I've seen very little actual hostility towards it (Which makes sense because getting upset over video games is stupid).

For Bayonetta, I didn't participate in Smash speculation when she was revealed, but from what I've seen people were annoyed with Corrin but happy about Bayonetta (until it turned out she was broken).
Of course, my opinion about what is undeserving, is my opinion. Hence it being in quotes.
But, as far as 'most influential JRPG not yet in...'
1- I don't distinguish JRPG from RPG, because region of origin has little input in my eyes.
2- I believe Tales' is the next on the list.
3- We have so many bigger ones already in, then how far down the list do we have to go before that point is irrelevant?
4- It is indeed considered a different series internally. Yet, still, Sakurai referred to the series in reference to being of the same world, in the Persona franchise. (At least, this was told to me by the SMT thread).

As for Bayonetta, I absolutely saw a lot of salt. A good portion came from the general disregard people took in the Smash poll, that is said it was for more than just Sm4sh. But then being told some nonsense about how Bayonetta won, and how poorly this was justified, just kinda blew the straw.
Maybe this is why the upset happened, but it was by no means, from my point of view, received well, or even modestly. She was seen as the character who stole the spot of K Rool, Sora, etc...
Good thing we know Nintendo would never go so far as to end their season passes with divisive DLC characters.

View attachment 323630
Oh, let me be clear- the sheer disappointment I think SMT would bring, particularly from a 'shill pick,' is why I consider it likely.
Just give me a weird waifu/husbando fish person or a Falco bird clone and I'll be happy. Heck, I'll even take the beefy living rock bros.

More of the unrepresented Zelda races would be great.
Yes.... this is why the Zelda representation feels off.
Honestly, I fully feel we should get all four champions, separately. This would be the true way to make Zelda feel complete.

Also, on the note of races, and being of Hyrule...

Isn't the whole region considered Hyrule? Isn't a Hylian just a person of Hyrule? How are all the other races not a part of the greater 'Hylian' title?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One of these characters gets added to Smash despite technically not existing. What you do?
While Warupeachy would have been pretty funny, I would prefer M-09 or Dorin since a character from a canceled or unreleased game would be more novel. Also the other characters are more ideas from the drawing board that didn't pan out, so I don't think they'd be better ideas now, especially with characters that exist having trouble getting in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom