• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
New Nintendo Gigaleak info. More in twitter thread.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
[Spirit event] From 7/23 (Friday), we will be holding "Keeping! Those with Hone" for 3 days! On the spirits board, many spirits that are in the shape of a horn or wear a horn appear. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual. #スマブラSP
Hone means "bone", not "horn".

Seriously Square rerelease Chrono Trigger I am dying.
SE: "No. Buy the Pixel remake when it comes out. Then buy the 2D-HD remake when THAT comes out."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the issue with NSO is primarily Nintendo's habit of dripfeeding, N64 was on the Wii VC but for Wii U you had to wait for it's last year or two, but at least those dripfeeds were once a week with more than 3 titles. NSO was once a month until Big Friend Nintendo went "um actually it's gonna be whenever we feel like it"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It’s just bizarre that they’re not even selling GameBoy, GBA, N64 & GameCube games. With the Switch’s huge install base, they’re just leaving a ton of money on the table. I really want to know the business reasons why they’re not doing that.
My guess is to drum up demand by scarcity, a classic Nintendo tactic since the 80's which they used a lot in the past decade

Ivander

Smash Legend
I've always wondered if there was an issue with the hardware or something with putting stuff on the NSO. I remember when 3DS came around and while there was the Ambassador's Program that gave 10 GBA games, the 3DS didn't get GBA games for VC at all compared to Wii U and the GBA games from the program couldn't run some of the stuff that normal Virtual Console could do like Save states and whatnot. But I don't see why this would be an issue with the Switch.

Maybe it has something to do with the Online for the games? One of the things that was promoted was that NES and SNES games with multiplayer had online multiplayer. And online multiplayer would be huge with games like Mario Kart 64 or the GB games that relied on link cables. But maybe trying to actually program online multiplayer into those games is a lot harder than it looks?

I know that there probably isn't any deep digging needed and it's just as likely Nintendo being corporate with their stuff, but I'd be lying if I said I I wasn't curious on why they haven't gone further.

Shroob

Sup?
My guess is to drum up demand by scarcity, a classic Nintendo tactic since the 80's which they used a lot in the past decade
I mean, that demand's been around for a long ass time now, and despite everyone thinking they'll announce it come Nintendo Direct time, they never do. They're not really cashing in on it.

Hell, didn't they just recently update their FAQ stuff to basically say "If you wanna play old games, go buy em 2nd hand"? Which is like, they get 0 profit from that so it says a lot.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've always wondered if there was an issue with the hardware or something with putting stuff on the NSO. I remember when 3DS came around and while there was the Ambassador's Program that gave 10 GBA games, the 3DS didn't get GBA games for VC at all compared to Wii U and the GBA games from the program couldn't run some of the stuff that normal Virtual Console could do like Save states and whatnot. But I don't see why this would be an issue with the Switch.

Maybe it has something to do with the Online for the games? One of the things that was promoted was that NES and SNES games with multiplayer had online multiplayer. And online multiplayer would be huge with games like Mario Kart 64 or the GB games that relied on link cables. But maybe trying to actually program online multiplayer into those games is a lot harder than it looks?

I know that there probably isn't any deep digging needed and it's just as likely Nintendo being corporate with their stuff, but I'd be lying if I said I I wasn't curious on why they haven't gone further.
The way the NES/SNES Online apps work means that a Gamecube equivalent could take up 20 GB of space, and a Wii equivalent would be even worse. That might be one reason why Nintendo is hesitant, but Game Boy/N64/GBA Online would not have this issue.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Charging a tiered service will probably be the best solution going forward if they want to continue this model. You pay extra and you get more games available to you and Nintendo doesn't have to drip feed as much or worry about over or under valuing games/properties. People will complain anyway, but there will be a broader choice of selections if you're just looking for online or are serious about retro gaming.

I remember hearing at one point that there was technical issues regarding the GBA games on the 3DS in how sleep mode works, which is why they didn't do anything after that. I'd have to dig up the Retronauts episode regarding the 10 year anniversary to remember the specifics.

N64 is pretty much a lost cause at this point unless they are brought back as VC downloads separate from the service like Doom 64. I'd honestly bet on a N64 Mini Console before a service at this point.
1. N64 emulation hasn't been perfected unlike most Nintendo systems.
2. The odd control scheme would limit what can be done using the Joy-Con alone (not a big deal for most, but marketing/branding)
3. The most popular games are multiplayer based.
4. Certain prior service features might be harder to develop such as online co-op and rewinding.
5. Super Mario 64 was already re-released as are a majority of the reasons to play the first Mario Party games.

Post N64, I don't think Nintendo would be in favor of re-releasing for pennies on the dollar as apart of a service. I think we will at best get a GB/GBC online service before the Switch's lifespan finally ends. I'd assume it's a lot harder to negotiate terms for an online service than it is to have companies directly sell titles themselves and it doesn't help that a lot of 3rd Parties like have been re-releasing games more on their own terms prior to the service's launch; only SNK has double-dipped with Crystalis (which you should all play BTW).

I'd be extremely curious to know the sales figures for the 3DS VC and Wii VC. Part of me gets the feeling that aside from Pokemon, there might have been a sales dip with how slow the 3DS VC was to pick up and how late SNES titles game to the system. It could also be that with the retro craze having skyrocketed post 2010, it might have been harder to get titles on the service once companies realized the value of their old properties in most circumstances. It could also have been just how big the Wii itself was.

Hell, didn't they just recently update their FAQ stuff to basically say "If you wanna play old games, go buy em 2nd hand"? Which is like, they get 0 profit from that so it says a lot.
I mean, most stores will tell their customers to shop elsewhere if they don't already offer what is being looked for. That's just customer service 101. I don't think that statement really means anything in regards to their priorities as a company or upcoming plans.

With all the open jokes there are, the only game I'd say that FAQ definitively applies to is Mother 3. lol

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Somewhere on Wikipedia I read about Captain N: The Game Master that they will release it in a live action movie. If this is true, the protagonist will be the Kevin Keene or someone else? Will it be in the era of NES or Switch? Or maybe the era of Nintendo's next console?

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
The problem is, they have to replace Japan exclusives, but they can't replace them with major titles since they'll be planning to release them simultaneously. So that leads to a major Japan exclusive like SMT if... being replace by generic mediocre platformer number 86.

This isn't an excuse though, they could still give us far better games, and even some western exclusives like startropics.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
If we get SMT SJR and SMT 4 and 4A ports from the 3ds, this would mean Japan could have the entire SMT franchise on one console...

Except NINE
Wait for that to be the next ATLUS remaster instead of digital Devil Saga. Actually is that available through backwards compatibility on Japanese XBOXes?

They technically also have Megami Tensei 1 on Switch as part of the Namcot Collection in Japan, so if they released Megami Tensei 2 they'd have almost every mainline Megami Tensei game on switch.

Also, for people who haven't played it:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I usually get annoyed at the "if its not Earthbound, Mario RPG, or Chrono Trigger then its trash" reactions to these updates but yeah this is pretty bad. Still so many great SNES games out there they could've added. Like Mystical Ninja
Not trying to play defense here, but part of me thinks that licensing shenanigans may play a part in that, since Nintendo doesn't necessarily own the game rights to those kinds of games.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion but even though people always like to remark this, there are very few actual gods compared to the amount of wacky characters
Sephiroth is a human/alien hybrid godlike wannabe. Ganondorf is the human form of a self-proclaimed Demon King (still not an actual god), Kirby is kind of a god-slayer but he isn't one. Idk enough about Bayo to say if she is or not. Palutena is like the only one I can think of tbh.
There's also Shulk, who kills a god at the very end of his game and becomes one himself for a couple of minutes to recreate a new universe.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Here's the thing that drives me mad with NSO. Games like Chrono Trigger and SMRPG could have licensing issues (and even then we're glossing over the fact that Nintendo could definitely pay if the question is money). I think everyone understands that.

But then... why not N64 and GB games, which the Wii/3DS already had? Why not GC and GBA games, which people have been asking for? Plenty of good first party titles in there to get around licensing, and most of these can be emulated fairly easily these days, so I doubt it would be too much for the Switch to handle.

Like, there are ways to please people that don't involve third party games and licensing, you know. They're just choosing not to at this point.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Second POTD from last night:

Mario Tennis is now 21!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Second POTD from last night:

Mario Tennis is now 21!
Now Waluigi is old enough to drink! He's gonna need a lot of it, since he lost his chance again

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think Nintendo just hates Startropics lmaoo

Unless I missed any, I haven’t seen us get any western exclusives,
though I'm sure trying to port over Japanese exclusives and getting English versions of those would take too much time.

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
I had a dream last night that AiAi was the final character revealed,, Now obviously this wouldn't happen but how would he play as a Smash character? Just a fun hypothesis. He could roll around in his lil ball and it would be fun. OH AND he could even be like Bowser Jr. and then all the alternate costumes could be the other monkeys like MeeMee, GonGon, YanYan, Doctor or whomever. Honestly I'm not even that familiar with the series but now that I think of it I just remember playing that game with my sister and it was the first Wii game I ever played making it one of the first games I ever played,,, so yeah Sakurai put in AiAi!!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Metroid Fusion
Metroid Zero Mission
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow

Three gba carts I can't play cause my GameCube tv adapter broke and I hate emulator. So add to NSO pls Nintendo!
All three of those are available on the Wii U!

...at least, until they take away the ability to add money to it next January.

...people other than me have a Wii U, right?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m kind of surprised that Borderlands never gets brought up in Smash speculation. Not only has the series sold a ton of games but they also have cool characters with fun abilities that could translate well to Smash. They are even on the Switch which makes the lack of discussion even more weird.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I’m kind of surprised that Borderlands never gets brought up in Smash speculation. Not only has the series sold a ton of games but they also have cool characters with fun abilities that could translate well to Smash. They are even on the Switch which makes the lack of discussion even more weird.
When people bandwagon on the same characters, they miss out on speculating on characters like the ones you said. : /

Gengar84

Smash Hero
When people bandwagon on the same characters, they miss out on speculating on characters like the ones you said. : /
I seem to have much different tastes than the general Smash community. I guess that can be considered a good thing because not many other people would really talk about Battletoads, Contra, Chrono Trigger, Dynasty Warriors, Blizzard games, Borderlands, and other games otherwise. Not to mention random obscure characters I love like Zegram, Raziel, Death, and others.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I seem to have much different tastes than the general Smash community. I guess that can be considered a good thing because not many other people would really talk about Battletoads, Contra, Chrono Trigger, Dynasty Warriors, Blizzard games, Borderlands, and other games otherwise. Not to mention random obscure characters I love like Zegram, Raziel, Death, and others.
Yessir
Makes you unique, too.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Somewhere on Wikipedia I read about Captain N: The Game Master that they will release it in a live action movie. If this is true, the protagonist will be the Kevin Keene or someone else? Will it be in the era of NES or Switch? Or maybe the era of Nintendo's next console?
A. This is never gonna happen.
B. It wouldn't be any specific era. Like Smash, it would just cover all eras.

...people other than me have a Wii U, right?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ganondorf is the human form of a self-proclaimed Demon King (still not an actual god)...
It is a little muddier than that though since he's the physical manifestation of Demise's hatred or anger or something. IIRC, Demise is a god, but whether or not that would make Ganon/Ganondorf one is likely just up to interpretation.

Also he's Gerudo, not human but that's beside the point.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty much the only one who takes Dragalia Lost seriously around here...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty much the only one who takes Dragalia Lost seriously around here...
Just like I'm one of the two people I know who takes Kingdom Hearts seriously around here.
I wouldn’t mind Euden or Sora at all in Smash. If you think it’s tough wanting Sora, I’m probably the only person who has Xemnas as one of their most wanted lol. I don’t bring him up much because I’m pretty sure no one would agree with me so I just keep that pipe dream to myself most of the time.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Euden isn't the mobile rep I'd really advocate for the most, if you know me, you know who I prefer.

But I wouldn't mind him.

Cygames content baby

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom