• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
points at Pokemon trainer and pikachu and jigglypuff
Kanto is able to be the exception because it has so many iconic Pokemon, but it's not the only generation with multiple popular mons. There's a reason you've seen Garchomp as a potential option to promote BDSP.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
points at Pokemon trainer and pikachu and jigglypuff
Only PT is really a good point; Mewtwo was supposed to be in the first game, and Gen 1 and 2 were designed as part of the same overall world. There were no games beyond Gen 1 at the time of Smash 64 to work with, so Jigglypuff, a super popular character and easy last-second clone of Kirby was born. Key term being "last-second clone", which is the big reason she got in. So... again, only PT is a fair point.

Pokemon Trainer was added into Brawl well after, and seems more of an exception to the pattern of constantly latest Generational Pokemon(of so far has gotten 1 rep). Besides that, representing the playable character made sense, and who better than Red for a design? He also uses 3 very iconic Pokemon, who make sense with the most recognizable trainer design. I wouldn't count on similar situations here again.

That said, he could go back to many considered characters as is. I'm not going to count those out yet, just cause of patterns.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Only PT is really a good point; Mewtwo was supposed to be in the first game, and Gen 1 and 2 were designed as part of the same overall world. There were no games beyond Gen 1 at the time of Smash 64 to work with, so Jigglypuff, a super popular character and easy last-second clone of Kirby was born. Key term being "last-second clone", which is the big reason she got in. So... again, only PT is a fair point.

Pokemon Trainer was added into Brawl well after, and seems more of an exception to the pattern of constantly latest Generational Pokemon(of so far has gotten 1 rep). Besides that, representing the playable character made sense, and who better than Red for a design? He also uses 3 very iconic Pokemon, who make sense with the most recognizable trainer design. I wouldn't count on similar situations here again.

That said, he could go back to many considered characters as is. I'm not going to count those out yet, just cause of patterns.
Seems there’s more “exceptions to the rule” than there is the actual ruling here. I don’t think anything is really stopping Sakurai finding another unique moveset opportunity for a previous Pokémon from an already represented Generation and putting them in. It may be unlikely since the Pokémon Company has more of a hand in Smash these days but assuredly not impossible.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Seems there’s more “exceptions to the rule” than there is the actual ruling here. I don’t think anything is really stopping Sakurai finding another unique moveset opportunity for a previous Pokémon from an already represented Generation and putting them in. It may be unlikely since the Pokémon Company has more of a hand in Smash these days but assuredly not impossible.
It's more that only PT really goes against any actual patterns, since the timing and factors explain the other situations.

Besides, it's so obviously a fanrule it hurts. It's just that Jigglypuff isn't a real exception, but a special circumstance. Mewtwo is a better example of an exception too, even then(and only kind of. It was going to be in instead of Jigglypuff, but was not possible at the time). But it doesn't help that Gen 1 and 2 were basically all there was. Gen 1 happening to get more Pokemon has been circumstance-based after Pikachu except at best PT, though. That's when there was no longer special situations and it was such an obvious way to represent the Trainer well, anyway. That, and Pokemon has been doing that trio line for a while now(albeit, all max forms, but Sakurai did consider Blastoise before Squirtle, so... it's likely Venusaur was going to be there instead of Ivysaur if Blastoise made it in).

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I don't think that LA is going to be promoted with a character.
I am actually hoping they dont. I dont want Pokemon to get backlash for "stealing" the last slot.

Kanto is able to be the exception because it has so many iconic Pokemon, but it's not the only generation with multiple popular mons. There's a reason you've seen Garchomp as a potential option to promote BDSP.
Can Garchomp come with Cynthia? She is my second favorite champion.

The quote said "there's no way they would add 2 pokemon from the same generation into smash".
Since it could be interpreted both ways, I put both, an example of two pokemon of the same gen being added in the same game and an example of pokemon of the same gen being added in a later game. Not saying, it will happen. I am saying that it has happened.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, regarding mute theory, the only characters I can see are Frisk (or potentially Kris), Reimu and Gordon Freeman (unless the HEV Suit counts as a voice). I don't really believe this theory though.
If we're going by second-chance theory we have Sega and Capcom as potential candidates. I see either Eggman or Phoenix Wright as top contenders, unless they want to upgrade Shadow to a full character.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I am actually hoping they dont. I dont want Pokemon to get backlash for "stealing" the last slot.

Can Garchomp come with Cynthia? She is my second favorite champion.

The quote said "there's no way they would add 2 pokemon from the same generation into smash".
Since it could be interpreted both ways, I put both, an example of two pokemon of the same gen being added in the same game and an example of pokemon of the same gen being added in a later game. Not saying, it will happen. I am saying that it has happened.
But only with Gen 1. They have never done it with a later gen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I dont want Pokemon to get backlash for "stealing" the last slot.
Don't worry, if Pokemon doesn't get backlash for that, anyone else will instead. Literally anyone. Even if it's something that's considered a hype DLC pick by the fanbase, you'll see complaints that we never got an FPS or platformer rep in FP2 or something like that.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
the scenes when darkhon gets one shotted form behind and everyone thinks it’s some op character but it’s captain toad using the pickaxe from captain toad

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Depends if it's on Nintendo's interests, personally I don't think we'll get anything from a new company this pass.

Companies like Bethesda or Ubisoft could happen though because they already have some involvement with the game

I've been considering that the last one indeed could be the oddball, hence the reason why there's an extra slot
Banking for Sora if we do get a full on fanservicey pick

True, but that shouldn't automatically discredit the validity of the theory itself, nor the arguments that people make (if they are valid). I don't think that people can suddenly say that none of the fighters in FP2 can fit that theme.
I also hate to repeat myself but here it goes;
-ARMS and XC2: planned for base
-Steve: 5 years, although he seems to be the biggest outlier
-Sephiroth: fixed FF7's lackluster rep
-Kazuya: Sakurai wanted Tekken in Sm4sh
Tekken was requested by Nintendo. I think.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since we only have proof he was considering Blastoise, I wonder if he always thought Venusaur wouldn't work as well as Ivysaur?
It's either that or it was "the last choice" type of thing. Ivysaur might've been a last minute thing, due to the middle stage factor. He might've considered Bulbasaur too due to the Anime prominence, which is probably why Squirtle was on his mind as well as the fact that Squirtle moves at a higher speed, creating a strong balance. Besides, Ivysaur could be switched with Bulbasaur and Squirtle with Wartortle for the same effect due to pretty much the same bodyshape. The anime probably influenced which of the two previous forms. Not cause Ash(Red's counterpart) used it, but more due to it being way more active than Wartortle who is barely used. It doesn't help that all three middle forms barely show up, with the first and last forms being rather popular. Charmander is the only first form who doesn't get that much screentime. Ironically Ivysaur is the least used of the middle stages too.

Right. I'm just saying that there was reasons for Jigglypuff that don't apply to PT.

However, it is worth noting they were all added(except Mewtwo?) at the time the latest games had them relevant/from the latest game(more or less). Mewtwo is an oddball because the latest games weren't ones where it was a big deal(Gold/Silver/Crystal), making it the only one where the movie is a factor. And you could argue it being the same as Gen 1's design in Gen 2 is close enough to "relevant"(by that, Mewtwo's story in the games was fairly barebones in Gen 1 and 2, so the difference is barely there). Some were added before the games released to the development(Lucario, Greninja, Incineroar), and others not long after(...Everybody else but Mewtwo, really). So basically, bar one Pokemon, right time and place.

PT only really had the remakes release at the right time. But in reality, that's a coincidence. However, now that Sakurai is looking more at the "right time and place" again for Pokemon, someone from the latest game sounds a lot more likely than just returning to a previous repped Generational Pokemon alone. Decidueye was already considered, but more importantly, is in an upcoming game, making it a prime choice. On the other hand, Nintendo is the one choosing the Pokemon, so it doesn't really matter if Sakurai considered the character or not. So who knows what they'll suggest. Gen 8 is still the currently active Gen, then you got other games like Legends Arceus to look at, as well as New Pokemon Snap. There's not a lack of choice.

I hope that explains what I mean here. Bad fanrule, but there's something to be noted for why it is, cause the pattern isn't actually "1 pokemon per gen" anyway.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Since we only have proof he was considering Blastoise, I wonder if he always thought Venusaur wouldn't work as well as Ivysaur?
It's really a shame because Blastoise has always been my brother's favorite Pokemon and second most wanted character after Battletoads. It's almost a shame that we came this close to getting it.

I also don't think that a Pokemon rep necessarily has to come from Sword and Shield. It has been long enough since those games released that it doesn't really make much sense to promote them over anything else at this point. I don't really care what generation the Pokemon is from as long as I like it. I'm personally a bit bored with starters but I would gladly make an exception for Blastoise for the reason stated above.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I would love to see a fighter in Smash that's just a normal child with no powers, just a normal kid would be funny to see.
That's something that I want to see in Smash. Seeing a normal kid taking on and defeating literal gods of light and darkness will be awesome to see.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I also don't think that a Pokemon rep necessarily has to come from Sword and Shield. It has been long enough since those games released that it doesn't really make much sense to promote them over anything else at this point.
yea if we do get a promo mon added to smash its probably gonna be for Pokemon Unite releasing tmr or Pokemon Legends coming out in January. SwSh is nearly 2 years old now

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
That's something that I want to see in Smash. Seeing a normal kid taking on and defeating literal gods of light and darkness will be awesome to see.
Well there's already Villager I guess.

For a new one I don't really have any idea tho. The only one that come to my mind would be young Ellie from the first Last of us, but it's obviously impossible because it's a Sony franchise.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I know it's a bit of a messy subject as people don't like talking about cuts in general, but the Pokemon and Fire Emblem series are ones that I feel could have some cuts.
I know it doesn't exactly work like this but if they were both, say, halved I think it'd be more justifiable to revisit older games for new fighters than continue the current trend of only prioritizing the newer games.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

“I’ve got a BONE to pick with you! Heheh!”

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master

Sans spirit when

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

[Spirit event] From 7/23 (Friday), we will be holding "Keeping! Those with Hone" for 3 days! On the spirits board, many spirits that are in the shape of a horn or wear a horn appear. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual. #スマブラSP

I guess you could say this spirit event is pretty horny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom