• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Honestly if we bring in characters getting in IN ANY FORM, our lists could go on and on
Like if you wanted content from Cuphead, Warframe, Astral Chain, Pokemon Sw&Sh, MHR, and more, there ya go, you got that.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
E6fb5WWVUAIzdDa.jpg
Uh Banjo? You're gonna raise the game's age rating. Banjo? Banjo!

Just as a random example, what if we got this guy? I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talk about him or his game so I don’t know how many people are even aware he exists.
My guesses are thus:
  • He's from Warcraft.
  • That's Death from Darksiders
Speaking of which, has anyone here actually gotten a character they wanted?
Nope. Only monkey's paws. I really got robbed on Steve though. Had I seriously considered him in the context of Super Smash Bros. before his reveal, he probably would have been that "yay it's the guy I like!" character for me, but I didn't, so I was initially more happy for my sister than myself. lol

If we are on the objective side of things. Banjo´s moveset is probably a lot more technical. I would rather not talk about the fun factor since its a really subjective term. I would however definitely argue that banjo has the deeper/more complex moveset of the two. Whether simpler or more comple is more fun, I would leave that to everyone to decide for themselves.
Not sure how this post is relevant to mine, but I do agree with this sentiment to some extent. He's no Sheik or anything, but I would agree with the notion of him having a higher skill floor, at least, higher than Byleths.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Minecraft is my favourite game of all time so I guess you know how that went down with me xD. So much for "would work vetter as a Mii costume."

Quick edit sidenote, out of literally every Ultimate newcomer, Steve was basically the only one I actively recognized from a game I've played and really really really wanted in and tbh, I couldn't be happier. With so little slots in comparison to hundreds of gaming characters that could get in, I wasn't expecting more than like one.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
When it comes to Smash, Sephiroth was like my 2nd MW, which is kinda funny because I thought him to be the most impossible out of the bunch (between Shadow, Zero, Dante and such) yet here we are.

Still, aside from him, I think I've never ever gotten a character I actively wanted (wasn't into FF7 when Cloud was added).
In terms of Ultimate, Ridley and K. Rool were the big ones I've wanted in Smash for quite some time and I was ecstatic to see both make it into Ultimate. Richter and Dark Samus were very pleasant surprises as for one reason or another I didn't expect them, so seeing both show up in the August Direct was very exciting for me. In terms of DLC there's no one I'd say was a top favorite, but I was excited to see Sephiroth as I played FF7 a couple years prior and I enjoyed him as a villain.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The stage part isn't even true though. Even if you don't include 64 for obvious reasons, Fire Emblem didn't even get a stage in Melee, and the only reason it got a new one in Ultimate was because of Byleth being a DLC character. Mario and Zelda are the only old series to have gotten a stage in the base game, and it was due to asset reuse from existing Switch games. Calling the stages a bias toward Fire Emblem over Pokémon makes zero sense if you look at the context...especially since Fire Emblem's stage situation was awful prior to Byleth.
Slightly off-topic, but speaking of FE, the main reason I wish we got Azura instead of Corrin is because of the untapped moveset potential that not even Corrin can hook.
  • A lance instead of a sword
  • Her Songstress class
  • Her-waterbending powers
  • Dragon Vein
That's the TL;DR version; I made a whole moveset going deeper into this potential

She could also bring the Opera House with her as a stage (maybe as 3DS-exclusive DLC that returns in Ultimate) as it’s the area that’s most associated with her.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Slightly off-topic, but speaking of FE, the main reason I wish we got Azura instead of Corrin is because of the untapped moveset potential that not even Corrin can hook.
  • Her Songstress class
  • Dragon Vein
That's the TL;DR version; I made a whole moveset going deeper into this potential

She could also bring the Opera House with her as a stage (maybe as 3DS-exclusive DLC that returns in Ultimate) as it’s the area that’s most associated with her.
Maybe the Mysterious Dancer in Conquest can even be an Echo fighter!

osby

Smash Obsessed
When it comes to Smash, Sephiroth was like my 2nd MW, which is kinda funny because I thought him to be the most impossible out of the bunch (between Shadow, Zero, Dante and such) yet here we are.

Still, aside from him, I think I've never ever gotten a character I actively wanted (wasn't into FF7 when Cloud was added).
For Ultimate base game, Isabelle was the only character I was actively hoping for.

DLC was more generous to me. Not Joker in particular but a Persona character was my most wanted. I was also hoping for Byleth and Steve, and I got both of them.

I would also count Chrom but while I really like him as a character, I never really wanted him as a fighter in Smash. He was a pleasant surprise, though.

SKX31

Smash Master
That said, attacks with a lot of commit and a focus on spacing are such basic fighting game strategy elements that it's a bit of a headscratcher that most of the FE cast - you know, a strategy RPG - doesn't really go beyond that aside from Robin.

...Like, I dunno, it's just that gameplay-wise, after looking at other DLC characters with incredibly fitting mechanics and playstyles (I mentioned Sephiroth in the other post, but you could also point to the "fighties", Bayonetta's combo-heavy game plan, Cloud and Limit breaks, Hero and Steve's resource management, etc), I have to wonder why they seem so insistent on using spacing as the only dominant element for those characters.
I'm pretty sure that it's due to Marth / Roy being developed out of a rather basic mold (outside of the tipper mechanics) and going from there. Hell, the counters as imagined in Smash weren't a thing in FE until well after they had been introduced in Smash. Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai and co. thought about repping the turn-based RPG system... only to realize they had practically no time left and thus introduced the parry-Counter as a quick compromise. Lest us forget that there were only 7/8 non-clone Melee newcomers: :peachmelee: , :bowsermelee: , :zeldamelee: / :sheikmelee: , :icsmelee: *, :marthmelee: , :mewtwomelee: , :gawmelee:. Oh and all those eight characters have some weird jank attached to them in Melee probably because of the lack of dev time: Marth has one of Melee's weirdest mysteries - involving Whispy Woods - for example.

Whatever decision they took with Marth did have a lot of ramifications on the characters after Marth, that's for certain.

*Edit: Initially forgot ICs.

While I haven't gotten any of my top-tier wants yet (hell, my MW isn't even on a Nintendo system) I'm pretty content with the character selection. Out of the base game I was most interested in Ridley due to his status (and TBF Ridley's in a decent spot, IMHO he just needs something to help his survivability). The DLC has consisted of characters I am familiar with (Joker, B-K, Steve, Sephiroth) - both them and those characters I didn't know much at all about have been fun to play as on the whole, so overall the character selection has been good.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman

I got Steve and Kazuya.
I was kinda sad at first when heihachi was the more popular choice for a tekken rep. The first Tekken game I played was Street Fighter X Tekken and I thought Kazuya was such a badass.
I have 6 most wanteds and so far got 2 of them.
1.Porky Minch
2.Steve
3.Heavy
4.Kazuya
5.KOS-MOS
6.Phoenix Wright

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that it's due to Marth / Roy being developed out of a rather basic mold (outside of the tipper mechanics) and going from there. Hell, the counters as imagined in Smash weren't a thing in FE until well after they had been introduced in Smash. Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai and co. thought about repping the turn-based RPG system... only to realize they had practically no time left and thus introduced the parry-Counter as a quick compromise. Lest us forget that there were only 7/8 non-clone Melee newcomers: :peachmelee: , :bowsermelee: , :zeldamelee: / :sheikmelee: , :icsmelee: *, :marthmelee: , :mewtwomelee: , :gawmelee:. Oh and all those seven characters have some weird jank attached to them in Melee probably because of the lack of dev time: Marth has one of Melee's weirdest mysteries - involving Whispy Woods - for example.

Whatever decision they took with Marth did have a lot of ramifications on the characters after Marth, that's for certain.

*Edit: Initially forgot ICs.
Yeah, if I remember correctly Melee was developed in a little over a year, which is insane by any standards.

In Brawl, they probably still lacked the means to do anything beyond Olimar's Pikmin and Lucario's Aura. So Ike also remained a more "traditional" character.

Lucina and Chrom technically get a pass because they're popular characters who could be made into easy roster padding - something Smash has done since 64, tbh.

Corrin and Byleth, though? It's hard to say it's anything other than the decision process not aging too well, especially because they came after Robin - who had a completely different playstyle and an all-new passive mechanic that no one in the roster had (or has, to this day).

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Ridley and Banjo were the big ones. Wanted them since Melee

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Shantae's always been considered top 3 most likely indies in Smash speculation though?
This is almost entirely irrelevant when the community often dismisses the character because the obvious quota filler didn't get in. Many people here blotted out the possibility of Shantae entirely because of the presence of an AT of a "rival".

About the only other character I can say is comparable would be Spyro. Sure, he's perceived the third most likely platformer behind Rayman. However, his possiblity amounts to a hill of beans to many if Crash doesn't get in.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Not to most of Japan. The JP ports of his original PS1 games were botched so much, it gave Japanese audiences a hate boner for the purple dragon.
I'll have to second this : (. The first two games sold POORLY there, to the point where Spyro 3 was never even sold there.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is almost entirely irrelevant when the community often dismisses the character because the obvious quota filler didn't get in. Many people here blotted out the possibility of Shantae entirely because of the presence of an AT of a "rival".

About the only other character I can say is comparable would be Spyro. Sure, he's perceived the third most likely platformer behind Rayman. However, his possiblity amounts to a hill of beans to many if Crash doesn't get in.
That post is half a week old and I don't reslly get how it means Shantae magically wasn't consistently seen as top 3 most likely indies at worst

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In what way is my statement paradoxical? Because Fire Emblem bad? That's not at all relevant to the point that I was making.
No, that it implies a Fire Emblem character could have been a good choice under any circumstance- but I was mostly joking and taking you out of context, so no worries.

Yes- but I also have a large list of characters I want.
K Rool was a huge deal for me, as soon as the shaking camera came up with the footsteps- I started crying.

It's odd that this is even a question to be asked, as it shouldn't feel like it

...issue with fire emblem isnt that it has a relatively big cast like Mario or Pokemon. Its that other franchises of Nintendo dont get as much love as FE when it comes to PLAYABLE representation.
I just don't see why having a rotating cast means that each of those rotations needs to have a character- or in some cases, three characters. It seems like a circular argument- that we get more FE characters because it has a rotating cast, and it has a rotating cast, therefore we need more FE characters.

Honestly, the whole thing would be resolved for me if Nintendo or Sakurai would just say, "we want to push Fire Emblem harder than any other series." It is, in my mind, exactly similar to Bayonnetta. Do what you want- it is your game, I'm going to pay for it, and you are allowed to make personal choices. Just don't tell me you are doing something and then patronize me with some bogus reason as an explanation.

Mario sold more and is bigger than Pokemon.
Also, we DO technically get 2 new Pokemon each game (except Ultimate, which tbh I hope stays that way (I wouldn't exactly be too hype over a gen 8 mon))

64 - :ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff:
Melee - :ultpichu::ultmewtwo:

Brawl - :ultpokemontrainer::ultlucario:

4 - Return of :ultmewtwo: as DLC and:ultgreninja:

Ultimate - Again, so far only :ultincineroar:
You aren't looking big enough. Pokemon has earned double of that of the Mario franchise.
As of Ultimate they're all different people from different games. Zelda is from ALTTP, Sheik and Ganondorf are from OOT, Young Link is from OOT/MM, Toon Link is from WW/PH/ST, and Link is from BOTW. None of them are the same person anymore, as they're descendants/ascendants. Same legacy character, but they're from different timelines entirely now.

I get what you're saying overall, but they did at least make all the Links different people in the LoZ story respectively. Same with the two different Zeldas.

...On the other hand, Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Mario/Dr. Mario are the same person. XD
Well... there are three OOTs characters. Kinda wish that weren't true, when they could have used other designs (and still I'm sad they didn't differentiate all three Link's more).
However, as far as Dr Mario, that is debatable.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Steve was like #8 on my MW list. Other than that, nothing.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
On the subject of wanted characters, I have two categorizations, which sometimes overlap.

1- Characters to which I have a personal affinity
2- Huge gaming icons that make Smash even more legendary
----- in this second category, the bar is lowered, but still present, for Nintendo characters (just about any new series will suffice, as well as true Nintendo All Stars)

Between these, in SM4sh and Base Ultimate:
Megaman, Pacman, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Cloud, Ryu, Inkling, Ridley, SImon, Isabelle, King K Rool, Hero, Banjo and Kazooie, Terry, Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Robin.

(to juxtapose this, characters that i enjoyed, but didn't feel were needed- Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Palutena, Greninja, Incineroar)
And they all pleased me just fine. I do think Miis should just have been one character, but I suppose that could make it hard to tell the type of playstyle they would have, and make them perhaps, unbalanced, and for no less work.

Characters I would have passed upon: (well, in the context of other Pokemon, I would have chosen Meowth and Eevee over Greninja and Incineroar).
But I easily would trade in Ken, Richter, Dark Pit, Lucina, Chrom (for 5 more 'necessary' echoes, in my eyes... though I accept this for Ken, given his legendary status). I would absolutely trade in Corrin, Byleth, Bayonetta, Joker, and Byleth.

So, I honestly don't think I'm that difficult to please. I understand why Pythra got in- although I would never have chosen them. I understand Joker, only in the context that Sakurai loves Persona and wanted it in. I cannot reasonably explain Byleth, over so many other options, and blah blah blah which we have all heard before, and quite frankly, are based in fact.

So, yes, I think I am pretty easy to please. I have a wide net of characters I want, and could be perfectly content getting another fifty.
Fortunately, I have been able to narrow it down to a top ten 1st party and top ten 3rd party- though, I know those wouldn't inherently be the next ten of each, particularly as Nintendo hasn't honored an old Nintendo IP since 2014 with Little Mac.

In Ultimate, specifically?
I'd say my top ten consistently most wanted newcomers, from the Smash Ballot era until now, have been:

3. Dixie Kong
I'd still really love a fighter from an FPS or puzzle game, so I'm holding out hope that'll happen someday soon.
If you understand why they havn't added Dixie, please explain it to me. Homegirl isn't even an Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure that it's due to Marth / Roy being developed out of a rather basic mold (outside of the tipper mechanics) and going from there. Hell, the counters as imagined in Smash weren't a thing in FE until well after they had been introduced in Smash. Wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai and co. thought about repping the turn-based RPG system... only to realize they had practically no time left and thus introduced the parry-Counter as a quick compromise. Lest us forget that there were only 6/7 non-clone Melee newcomers: :peachmelee: , :bowsermelee: , :zeldamelee: / :sheikmelee: , :marthmelee: , :mewtwomelee: , :gawmelee:. Oh and all those seven characters have some weird jank attached to them in Melee probably because of the lack of dev time: Marth has one of Melee's weirdest mysteries - involving Whispy Woods - for example.

It also doesn't help that a lot of the characters have the same skill set:
  • Marth is sword locked.
  • Roy is sword locked.
  • Ike can use axes as a Vanguard, but for most of his screentime, he's sword locked.
  • Robin uses swords and tomes equally, and is the most unique feeling of the cast so far.
  • Lucina isn't sword locked, but is an Echo Fighter of Marth, so she got his moveset.
  • Corrin isn't sword locked, but their personal weapon is a sword, and Dragonstones presented their own problems for implementation. For what it's worth, they probably did the best they could with Corrin, but they're just not what people really look for in a cool dragon shapeshifter character.
    • Corrin also has access to staves and tomes, but they're version locked, and thus, probably off-limits.
  • Chrom isn't sword locked, but is an Echo Fighter of Roy, so he got his moveset.
  • Byleth isn't sword locked, and while their personal weapon is a sword, they could technically wield anything, so they gave them everything but magic and gauntlets.
    • Byleth is the only character who's moveset isn't primarily inspired by their personal class.
It's no wonder the majority of the character's movesets are just general swordfighter moveset either flavored towards the character's general vibe, or a deviation from another character's moveset; of the ones that aren't usually sword locked, only three of them were added as unique characters and one of them had the same trait of gracefulness as Marth does, making them feel samey even though their moveset takes steps to try and not feel like that.

Byleth is just funny in the end. They tried so hard to be different, and it mostly amounted to a unique visual flavor since their archetype is still the same. It is a fun deviation, but it is still just a deviation rather than something wholly unique.

As far as my critiques on the movesets go:
  • Marth is the original, so he stays as is.
  • Roy is visually similar, but breaks the mold in terms of gameplay.
  • Ike...is kind of in a weird spot. He's kind of got the "swordsfighter, but heavy" angle going on, but he doesn't really feel like a heavy (though that might be a good thing in terms of accuracy to the source material). Marth, Ike, and Roy together aren't really that egregious, so I'll just move on.
  • Robin is completely different already.
  • Chrom and Lucina would benefit from a unique moveset that they share rather than being Echo Fighters of other characters. It fixes the inaccuracy to how they work, and has the potential to grant us another unique feeling moveset.
  • Corrin...tried their best.
  • Byleth probably would have been more unique if they were focused on their Enlightened One class in terms of themeing since it would allow them to cast spells and deck people in the face. Another valid angle would be to embrace their tactician role and make them manage units that would be helpful summons, but also needed to be protected or they die for the rest of his stock or something.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Corrin...tried their best.
Ehhh I slightly disagree, to be honest.

Corrin's got some very unique moves.
His back air pushes him forward, the only back air in the game to do so iirc
A Lateral counter...unique
Two-hit Neutral B, with both hits having completely different properties (one hit is a projectile, the other a melee "bite")
And his Side B is a pin that can followed by a thrust in the direction of the player's choice, or manually cancelled.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Byleth is just funny in the end. They tried so hard to be different, and it mostly amounted to a unique visual flavor since their archetype is still the same. It is a fun deviation, but it is still just a deviation rather than something wholly unique.

As far as my critiques on the movesets go:
  • Marth is the original, so he stays as is.
  • Roy is visually similar, but breaks the mold in terms of gameplay.
  • Ike...is kind of in a weird spot. He's kind of got the "swordsfighter, but heavy" angle going on, but he doesn't really feel like a heavy (though that might be a good thing in terms of accuracy to the source material). Marth, Ike, and Roy together aren't really that egregious, so I'll just move on.
  • Robin is completely different already.
  • Chrom and Lucina would benefit from a unique moveset that they share rather than being Echo Fighters of other characters. It fixes the inaccuracy to how they work, and has the potential to grant us another unique feeling moveset.
  • Corrin...tried their best.
  • Byleth probably would have been more unique if they were focused on their Enlightened One class in terms of themeing since it would allow them to cast spells and deck people in the face. Another valid angle would be to embrace their tactician role and make them manage units that would be helpful summons, but also needed to be protected or they die for the rest of his stock or something.
ngl im surprised they didn't give byleth a limited use divine pulse since its such a prominent part of three houses

a time rewind move rly could've distinguished them from the other swordies

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I am one of those who thinks the only currently represented Nintendo series would need the following to feel complete:
  • Mario: Captain Toad, Paper Mario
  • Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong, and personally, I think DK jr is extremely important to gaming history
  • Pokemon: Meowth and Eevee
  • Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
  • Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Zelda: All four champions, separately, to flesh out all the creatures and feeling of what Hyrule is.
So in short, I think that, as far as 'need' goes, these are the 12 characters from repped Nintendo series that are needed.

As for other new series, I think that we actually do have a few key missing series:
  • Golden Sun (The only popular and well selling Nintendo RPG series to have no characters, wherein the other three have arguably more characters than they deserve)
  • Rhythm Heaven (another big series, with unique gameplay)
  • Excite (huge series that is recognizable to all)
  • Ring Fit Adventure (it's new, so I get it... but sales wise, is currently missing a character)
  • Chibi Robo (one of the only big series to come out of the Gamecube era, highly unique character)
Granted, I would choose to add a few others, like Panel de Pon and Balloon Fighter.

I overall do not understand why we have 6 rotating main characters from one series, over 4 mainstay, playable, constant presences is games with bigger sales and more unique gameplay and physical design.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ehhh I slightly disagree, to be honest.

Corrin's got some very unique moves.
His back air pushes him forward, the only back air in the game to do so iirc
A Lateral counter...unique
Two-hit Neutral B, with both hits having completely different properties (one hit is a projectile, the other a melee "bite")
And his Side B is a pin that can followed by a thrust in the direction of the player's choice, or manually cancelled.
They do have unique aspect, but like with Byleth, it doesn't put them in a different archetype, and since they are graceful sword users just like Marth, they end up feeling a lot more like him than they normally would, and I don't think there's really any way to fix that.

It also doesn't help that Dragon Lunge was nerfed into the ground and is no longer an alternitive movement option for them, which was the most interesting thing about it.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
They do have unique aspect, but like with Byleth, it doesn't put them in a different archetype, and since they are graceful sword users just like Marth, they end up feeling a lot more like him than they should, and I don't think there's really any way to fix that.
Yet another reason why I wish we got Azura instead. I already made a post about it not even a page ago, so:
  • Her Songstress class
  • Dragon Vein

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
  1. Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
  2. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Frisk (Undertale)
  5. Kamek
  6. Megaman X
  7. Marx
  8. Steve
  9. Phoenix Wright
  10. Tails
  11. Regigigas (Pokemon)
Only a few of them have much of a chance.
Phoenix is the 3rd party with the best chance imo in your list. It's super sus that Capcom hasn't gotten a dlc despite like 30 mii costumes. I heard rumors that Byleth was supposed to be Monster Hunter

Also, Bandana Dee has a very good chance as a first party and is super popular. He is one of the most requested first parties like Dixie Kong, Waluigi, and Skull Kid

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Off topic from smash kind off but what’s a fact that you only just learnt about your favourite character/characters that you never realised until recently

For me, mine is that I was today’s year old when I actually realised that king boo’s first appearance was in the Luigi mansion series which would mean if king boo got into smash then he wouldn’t be apart of the Mario franchise and we’d get our own separate Luigi mansion series emblem rather than the Mario emblem.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

I got :ultchrom: for base game and :ultbanjokazooie: for the DLC.

And while i didn't go out of my way to support Pyra, Mythra and Min-Min (I would've preferred Elma and Dr. Coyle myself),
I'm more than happy that they're here.

Joker, Hero, Terry and Byleth are characters I didn't know I wanted and I really need to play Persona 5, Dragon Quest 11 and Three Houses
at some point in my life (especially P5, although I'm very happy that we at least got Persona 5 Strikers on switch).

Overall: I was pretty satisfied with the rest of the base game newcomers and DLC was 100% worth it for me so far.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Off topic from smash kind off but what’s a fact that you only just learnt about your favourite character/characters that you never realised until recently

For me, mine is that I was today’s year old when I actually realised that king boo’s first appearance was in the Luigi mansion series which would mean if king boo got into smash then he wouldn’t be apart of the Mario franchise and we’d get our own separate Luigi mansion series emblem rather than the Mario emblem.
I mean, the Luigi's Mansion content in Smash is already listed under just Mario like every other spinoff Mario content in Smash, there wouldn't be another emblem

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I doubt that would be true for a few reasons:
  • Luigi's Mansion is already considered to be a part of the Super Mario series and not its own thing.
  • It would be weird if Luigi wasn't a Luigi's Mansion character, but just as weird if he wasn't a Super Mario character since he's one of its most important characters.
  • If implemented in this game, it would really screw with My Music, removing most of the songs from the Luigi's Mansion stage, and removing the Luigi's Mansion tracks from the Super Mario stages.
EDIT: I think he would get a special victory fanfare though.

I personally don't think it or the other Super Mario spin-offs that present themselves as Super Mario games (like Mario Kart, Mario Party, Paper Mario, etc.) should be considered different series, and that applies to the other series's spin-offs as well*.

*With the exception of fusion titles. Games like Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, and Cadence of Hyrule have one foot in one series and another in the other so I don't really know how you would handle them.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I just don't see why having a rotating cast means that each of those rotations needs to have a character- or in some cases, three characters. It seems like a circular argument- that we get more FE characters because it has a rotating cast, and it has a rotating cast, therefore we need more FE characters.

Honestly, the whole thing would be resolved for me if Nintendo or Sakurai would just say, "we want to push Fire Emblem harder than any other series." It is, in my mind, exactly similar to Bayonnetta. Do what you want- it is your game, I'm going to pay for it, and you are allowed to make personal choices. Just don't tell me you are doing something and then patronize me with some bogus reason as an explanation.
My question would then be, why not? If fire emblem can get one off characters in smash, why is it that other Nintendo IPs of higher caliber dont?

FE is an anomaly in smash in many senses. Characters/stages added to each game. Lots of DLC. Many are even there as promotion picks. Then you compare its standing with other IPs and the whole thing gets bizarre. Metroid needed a huge fan demand just to get two more characters. Both Kirby and LoZ seem to be unable to get any new characters in despite being huge franchises of Nintendo with great fan demand for smash characters.

Now, the whole thing isnt whether they deserve the characters or the reasoning behind nintendo. Its about why it receives the hate it has. And its not hard to see why. It seems unfair for IPs in similar standings to fire emblem to receive less and even less fair for franchises above it.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
  1. Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)
  2. Maxwell (Scribblenauts)
  3. Bandana Dee
  4. Frisk (Undertale)
  5. Kamek
  6. Megaman X
  7. Marx
  8. Steve
  9. Phoenix Wright
  10. Tails
  11. Regigigas (Pokemon)
Only a few of them have much of a chance.
u have great taste both marx, kamek, and regiggas would be rly dope

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
My question would then be, why not? If fire emblem can get one off characters in smash, why is it that other Nintendo IPs of higher caliber dont?

FE is an anomaly in smash in many senses. Characters/stages added to each game. Lots of DLC. Many are even there as promotion picks. Then you compare its standing with other IPs and the whole thing gets bizarre. Metroid needed a huge fan demand just to get two more characters. Both Kirby and LoZ seem to be unable to get any new characters in despite being huge franchises of Nintendo with great fan demand for smash characters.

Now, the whole thing isnt whether they deserve the characters or the reasoning behind nintendo. Its about why it receives the hate it has. And its not hard to see why. It seems unfair for IPs in similar standings to fire emblem to receive less and even less fair for franchises above it.
I like how you got called out for lying yet still continue to post stuff that's blatantly untrue to go "FE bad"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom