• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I saw this topic on GameFAQs, so I though "Hmm wonder how they'll answer this"

While I personally bought Plant + Both Passes in full capacity...

What DLC fighters did you buy and not buy? Why (If you care enough to answer lmao)?
I had Plant free. I bought 'em all via the Passes. Whether I like the character or not in th eend, I want a complete game. It helps I can hold legit tourneys now where I am~
Anyway, I’m now 100% confident that bonus slot on the eshop IF IT EVEN IS SOMETHING AT ALL will be a three pack of bonus stages that comes with music for each

likely one third party stage maximum (indies count I think)

What would you like to see if this is the case?
Sector Z(Smash 64), Mute City(Melee), Pyrosphere(Smash Wii U).

Planet Zebes and Meta Crystal are runner ups.

Oh, I missed the third party bit. Tetris would be neat, and obviously anything from Quest 64, but at least Tetris is realistic. >.>

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
If we do get bonus stages, my guess is they would be older stages from previous games. Pac Maze in particular is a rather egregious ommission, that and there's also the DKC Returns stage and if the Starfox Assault stage can't come back, there's the Rainbow Road stage from the 3DS version
Honestly, I'm really okay with this. Pac Maze in particular is a glaring omission (then again, so is Mario's Fire alt, so...). I think it would be easier to develop returning stages since the assets are already there, they just need to be scaled up and the gimmicks tweaked.

(PokeFloats was literally only included in Melee because Sakurai could easily reuse existing Pokemon renders and call it a day rather than spend crucial crunch time creating an entirely new "Sprout Tower" stage. As unlikely as it feels to me personally, at least there's precedence for this sort of thing.)

Tetris. That’s the best choice. The fact that Tetris still has not gotten a stage baffles to a little tbh.
Oh man, if Smash wanted to pull a mic drop moment with the release of one final stage, Tetris would definitely be it. I'd be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Gotta ask the big question. As someone who’s never played any ace attorney games but knows Phoenix Wright has been in a fighting game before, How would he be implemented into smash without ripping off his fighting moveset from the other fighting game he’s been in.
Depends what we mean by ripping off other games. Marvel vs Capcom gave him the evidence gimmick, which works so perfectly and represents Ace Attorney so well it’d be really hard to not include it. However, it feels weird to say including this mechanic would be a ripoff as it feels as if it was lifted straight from AA itself. If you feel that is still a ripoff then it would be incredibly difficult to make a fully unique Phoenix Wright.

In terms of normals and the like, MvC made up tons of moves so Smash can do the same without copying it.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I found an old Sakurai interview where he detailed the selection process behind fighters and I thought it was interesting, so I felt like sharing it here

This is the decision making process behind Smash characters
  • "We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally"
  • "We also research games that are currently being developed."
  • "After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience"
  • "There are a lot of things to take into account when deciding characters"
  • "Does the character have something inherently unique about them?"
  • "Can that be used to make Smash Bros more interesting?"
  • "Is the character a representative character [for the source material]?"
  • "Do they conflict at all with other characters?"
  • "Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"
  • As for those that don't make the cut, he says "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter"

here's the link for those that want to read it but I basically copied it word for word: https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Ivander

Smash Legend
So I'm in a speculation and curious mood. I'm often pointed out as one of the few people who knows about the Fate series and as one who has suggested Saber/Artoria as likely due to Grand Order being huge and the Fate series originally starting as a game. If Type-Moon/Fate got a character, Artoria would 100% be the pick due to her being the creators' favourite and an important character.

What I'm curious about though is that, in the possible scenario that Artoria isn't chosen, which Servant would you pick?
Here's the list and if you want the whole list, make sure NA and JP are on. You can click on them to look at designs, abilities and whatnot while you can look up the character on Youtube to see their attacks and whatnot in action/gameplay. Anyway, if Saber/Artoria isn't the character chosen, who would you pick?

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
So I'm in a speculation and curious mood. I'm often pointed out as one of the few people who knows about the Fate series and as one who has suggested Saber/Artoria as likely due to Grand Order being huge and the Fate series originally starting as a game. If Type-Moon/Fate got a character, Artoria would 100% be the pick due to her being the creators' favourite and an important character.

What I'm curious about though is that, in the possible scenario that Artoria isn't chosen, which Servant would you pick?
Here's the list and if you want the whole list, make sure NA and JP are on. You can click on them to look at designs, abilities and whatnot while you can look up the character on Youtube to see their attacks and whatnot in action/gameplay. Anyway, if Saber/Artoria isn't the character chosen, who would you pick?
correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Fate use like historical figures or something like that?

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
Gotta ask the big question. As someone who’s never played any ace attorney games but knows Phoenix Wright has been in a fighting game before, How would he be implemented into smash without ripping off his fighting moveset from the other fighting game he’s been in.
He'd use evidence as a main mechanic. Picking up items and presenting them to contradicting statements is one of the core mechanics of the game, but that's kinda hard to translate to smash. One of my moveset ideas was he'd use evidence to power up his "Objections" and "Take That!" moves, both of which would be close range moves but would pack a lot of punch. In the games he also throws away evidence he doesn't need, so he could use them as projectiles too.

There is also the Psyche-Lock mechanic. In the main games, you have to present evidence in a specific order to get people to open up a bit more. Maybe if you hit someone with an objection or take-that several times, it breaks open a lock that deals massive damage.

I'd definitely recommend picking up the Ace Attorney trilogy on Switch.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I found an old Sakurai interview where he detailed the selection process behind fighters and I thought it was interesting, so I felt like sharing it here

• "We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally"
  • As for those that don't make the cut, he says "Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter"

here's the link for those that want to read it but I basically copied it word for word: https://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199
I know I’ve said this before and we’ve had lots of talk about this lately but I don’t understand how shadow hasn’t made it in yet. He fits all of these requirements.

There’s tons of stuff you can do with his move set that would make him different from everyone else. Chaos control has tons of gimmicks by itself for example. It’s not just a move that freezes time, it has its gimmicks which would make it the first time stopping move in smash with different traits. Chaos spear would also have a gimmick as well.

His series is still alive (the sonic franchise as a whole I should clarify)

He represents the franchise well etc. Really baffles me. In general a whole sonic rep fits this massively. Will never understand the reasoning for no 2nd sonic rep

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Yes. And we have Dracula in Smash. And we also have Medusa in Smash as a Spirit. And we also have Henry Fleming from Red Badge of Courage as a Spirit.
fair enough lol

I know I’ve said this before and we’ve had lots of talk about this lately but I don’t understand how shadow hasn’t made it in yet. He fits all of these requirements.

There’s tons of stuff you can do with his move set that would make him different from everyone else. Chaos control has tons of gimmicks by itself for example. It’s not just a move that freezes time, it has its gimmicks which would make it the first time stopping move in smash with different traits. Chaos spear would also have a gimmick as well.

His series is still alive (the sonic franchise as a whole I should clarify)

He represents the franchise well etc. Really baffles me. In general a whole sonic rep fits this massively. Will never understand the reasoning for no 2nd sonic rep
probably comes down to the indecisiveness for those that want a 2nd Sonic Rep leading to a 2nd Sonic rep not seeming as requested as others. Those that want a Sonic rep tend to be torn between Tails, Eggman, Shadow and occasionally Knuckles, which leads to not a ton of support for any single character but rather a ton of support spread across these 4 characters. Compare this to Banjo, Crash or Doomguy where pretty much any fan of those series rallied behind those single characters for support and it probably comes off as those characters having more support when in reality people have been wanting a second Sonic rep for many years. Shadow being an assist trophy three times however could also make a point that they just don't have an interest in going with a second Sonic rep. Honestly I'm still kind of baffled we got a Knuckles assist trophy but not Tails or Eggman. I mean, we got Dr. Wily as an assist trophy so I'm not sure what the difference is here, perhaps Knuckles got more votes in the Smash ballot? idk

MattX20

Smash Hero

Phoenix basically fits all those categories, especially since his series was and is still ongoing. At the time of the Smash ballot and during the base game development of Ultimate, the Great Ace Attorney was released in Japan in 2015, Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice in 2016 worldwide, and Great Ace Attorney 2 in 2017. That's also not getting into that big Capcom leak that happened a while ago where Ace Attorney 7 was confirmed to be in development. The Ace Attorney series has more than enough characters and music tracks to make a selection of, and there's probably a way to make him stand apart from his UMVC3 moveset. That, and we can't forget that Bandai Namco had Phoenix appear in the Project X-Zone games for the 3DS.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
fair enough lol

probably comes down to the indecisiveness for those that want a 2nd Sonic Rep leading to a 2nd Sonic rep not seeming as requested as others. Those that want a Sonic rep tend to be torn between Tails, Eggman, Shadow and occasionally Knuckles, which leads to not a ton of support for any single character but rather a ton of support spread across these 4 characters. Compare this to Banjo, Crash or Doomguy where pretty much any fan of those series rallied behind those single characters for support and it probably comes off as those characters having more support when in reality people have been wanting a second Sonic rep for many years. Shadow being an assist trophy three times however could also make a point that they just don't have an interest in going with a second Sonic rep. Honestly I'm still kind of baffled we got a Knuckles assist trophy but not Tails or Eggman. I mean, we got Dr. Wily as an assist trophy so I'm not sure what the difference is here, perhaps Knuckles got more votes in the Smash ballot? idk
I guess, Which is a shame. If that’s the case. Still got faith that the last character is potentially a sonic rep. There’s a lot of things in favour for it such as things like

fixing the base roster theory

things suggesting sega might be the last spot

No rivals tournament in smash yet

Tails and shadow being missing from the sonic tournament event

Sonic and bayonetta being in Sephiroth’s trailer

And some other things.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’d be cool with Phoenix cuz we already got 5 characters that overlap with the PXZ series and Smash: Ryu, Ken, and as of the second game, Chrom, Lucina, and Kazuya

why not have a sixth character in common? :awesome:

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I guess, Which is a shame. If that’s the case. Still got faith that the last character is potentially a sonic rep. There’s a lot of things in favour for it such as things like

fixing the base roster theory

things suggesting sega might be the last spot

No rivals tournament in smash yet

Tails and shadow being missing from the sonic tournament event

Sonic and bayonetta being in Sephiroth’s trailer

And some other things.
Things like what? Sonic and Bayo being in sephiroth's trailer?

I'd like to remind you that we actually did get additional sega content that sega asked for; the Sophia spirit.

If Bomberman's mii counts as "Konami's representation", that sure as hell counts too. So let it go already.

As a side note, summonable spirits do not appear in spirit events. The events are meant to increase the drop rate of spirits that don't appear often in general, which would be kind of redundant for summonable spirits to appear, since they'd muddy up the pool for ones that aren't as easy to attain. You conveniently left out that Sonic the Werehog was not in the Sonic event, so would that also not mean he's a candidate by that logic?

in the "Hiding Your True Selft" event in November, Min Min appeared on the board. You know, even though she was already a fighter?

Spirit events aside from promotional ones don't matter.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Things like what? Sonic and Bayo being in sephiroth's trailer?

I'd like to remind you that we actually did get additional sega content that sega asked for; the Sophia spirit.

If Bomberman's mii counts as "Konami's representation", that sure as hell counts too. So let it go already.

As a side note, summonable spirits do not appear in spirit events. The events are meant to increase the drop rate of spirits that don't appear often in general, which would be kind of redundant for summonable spirits to appear, since they'd muddy up the pool for ones that aren't as easy to attain. You conveniently left out that Sonic the Werehog was not in the Sonic event, so would that also not mean he's a candidate by that logic?

Spirits that become fighters have only historically stopped appearing in events after they've been added as a fighter. Min Min failed to appear in the yellow event last february, for example, but was in several others prior to her confirmation.
Dude it’s just my opinion. I’m just having fun on speculation. There’s no need to be a buzz kill.

The Sophia spirit is technically an atlus spirit and not sega spirit.

The warehog doesn’t appear in the sonic event because it’s summable. Off the top of my head There’s 22 sonic spirits with 17 being on the spirit board and the others are summable or WOL exclusive. They uncluded 14 of the 17 that appear in the spirit board and chose to leave out tails and shadow.

Dude I’m just having fun speculating. Please don’t get annoyed over it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

If we must continue this conversation, we should preface it with the fact that "old" is a big key word here. Things could have changed. That said, here's what I believe all this means:

We conduct a character popularity poll both domestically and internationally
They have a pretty good idea of what people like.

We also research games that are currently being developed.
They try to include upcoming games to try and have a wider selection of characters age wise. Said characters still have to exist around the time the choices are being picked however.

After that, it's pretty much up to us, with a touch of convenience
The dev team picks the characters for the base roster.

There are a lot of things to take into account when deciding characters
This one's self explanatory. Why did I quote this?

Does the character have something inherently unique about them?
The dev team needs to know what the character will bring to the table. In my experience, the answer to "do they have something unique" is always yes, even if it's not a big sweeping mechanic, or even if it's another take on a mechanic that has already been tried.

Can that be used to make Smash Bros more interesting?
The meaning of this is a lot more up for debate. What do they mean by interesting? In terms of deeper gameplay? In terms of who's drawn to the game? Both? Neither?

Is the character a representative character [for the source material]?
The dev team wants to pick characters that can accurately represent the game/series in question. Generally, the first pick from a game/series is the protagonist since they represent how their game is played. It's also why a bunch of characters from veteran series (particularly from, but not exclusive to Fire Emblem) are focused on untapped aspects of their gameplay. Antagonists tend to emulate how it feels to fight the enemies in their games.

Do they conflict at all with other characters?
I don't really know what this means. Perhaps they don't want the characters to be too similar? It doesn't make sense to use the word "conflict" in that case. Are there mechanics that cause glitchy things to happen or are unfun when they interact? This makes a little more sense but I can't imagine that happens often if the mechanics are designed well. Unless the characters are hard to distinguish due to their designs (which likely doesn't come up often either) I highly doubt they're talking about visual similarities.

Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?
My guess is that this is about tackling issues from a developmental perspective rather than a conceptual one, but if we're still conceptualizing characters at this state, this could be referring the idea of "finding the fun" where they play around with features until a direction speaks to them. In this case, maybe a Special Move does something unexpectedly neat when they first implement it, and they decide to lean into it harder.

Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen.
This is true to a decent extent, but it's in no way a hard rule, as we usually get about one character that fits this description per game for various reasons. Basically, it means that if your most wanted is from a dead series, you pretty much have to get everyone to shout their name from the rooftops and hope that's enough and/or hope the character speaks to Sakurai at some point during the selection process; They're far less likely, but they're by no means impossible (in fact I've probably painted a bleaker picture than what's called for).

It's worth noting that it's a lot easier to overcome this if you've already hit it big. See: Characters like Duck Hunt and (potentially) Simon.

Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter
All that can really be gathered by this statement is that swapping characters have a tweaked criteria. It's probably referring to characters like Sheik, Squirtle, and Ivysaur, who would not be here if it weren't for their connection to Zelda and the Pokémon Trainer respectively, but I can't be sure.

So what can we say about character chances after this? Not much. Most characters have the ability to fit all of this criteria, and the most restricting thing here has caveats and exceptions. It's an interesting look at how the process worked, but you can't really say that a character can/will or cannot/will not get in with it. It's relevance to the DLC cycles are especially dubious since Nintendo is having a much larger hand in the decisions, so that will definitely shake things up.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I know nothing about Fate, but someone modded Elizabeth into Project M and she's cool there so I guess her.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Dude it’s just my opinion. I’m just having fun on speculation. There’s no need to be a buzz kill.

The Sophia spirit is technically an atlus spirit and not sega spirit.

The warehog doesn’t appear in the sonic event because it’s summable. Off the top of my head There’s 22 sonic spirits with 17 being on the spirit board and the others are summable or WOL exclusive. They uncluded 14 of the 17 that appear in the spirit board and chose to leave out tails and shadow.

Dude I’m just having fun speculating. Please don’t get annoyed over it.
Tails is also summonable. Shadow is the only one that was actually "left out". But as I've posed, a spirit being missing from an event is meaningless when a fighter with a spirit has their spirit still appear in events after inclusion.

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as being a buzzkill, but I'm merely showing how your "opinion" is flawed.

Also, they still own Persona, so it's still sega content that had to go through them.

Last edited:

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

All my knowledge of Fate comes from watching Fate Zero and I thought Lancelot was the coolest in that, so him.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Phoenix Wright is just a character where, whether you like him and Ace Attorney or not... he kind of just deserves it. He'd be a great addition!
True enough.

With a lineup as star-studded as Capcom, no doubt everyone has their preferences on what the 3rd Unique Capcom character should be, but I don't think anyone would be confused or caught off guard with the went with Mr. Trite.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I would love if somehow Shantae was CP11, the internet would explode cause 1) she's a recent mii costume so she has that deconfirmed status that's reasonable to assume honestly and 2nd most people consider other indies to have much better chance then her so it would just be a mind**** for them in two different ways.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've seen some people argue that Capcom is done with Ultimate because the Monster Hunter and Dante were Mii'd but I don't think that at all. If the last of the Capcom Mii costumes in Pyra and Mythra's wave with the bonus Arthur costume/spirit and the MH Rise event were it, then I'd probably think so too. But we got Dante and another promotional MH spirit on top of that, which to me at least suggests we might see more content from Capcom before the end of the pass. Sega meanwhile hasn't had any new content at all since the end of Terry's Mii Costume wave(the Sohphia spirit for Persona 5 is credited under Koei Tecmo so that's a can of worms).

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

This is honestly a perfect Phoenix Wright moveset. Or at least better than what I'd come up with.

There's not really a lot of resource management in Ace Attorney. You don't really use stuff up in that game. And the gathering-information part is not the part most people remember. So it's kind of odd to me that they chose to rep him that way in MvC.
I imagine they did it that way because while there's no bad evidence in Ace Attorney, there are bad moments to showcase evidence. You need to show the right thing at the right time and failing to do say may as well be like if you were showing false evidence.

Making it so that some of the evidence is "bad" could be a nod to that. Also, there's probably some game balancing purposes behind it because Turnabout mode is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Phoenix basically fits all those categories, especially since his series was and is still ongoing. At the time of the Smash ballot and during the base game development of Ultimate, the Great Ace Attorney was released in Japan in 2015, Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice in 2016 worldwide, and Great Ace Attorney 2 in 2017. That's also not getting into that big Capcom leak that happened a while ago where Ace Attorney 7 was confirmed to be in development. The Ace Attorney series has more than enough characters and music tracks to make a selection of, and there's probably a way to make him stand apart from his UMVC3 moveset. That, and we can't forget that Bandai Namco had Phoenix appear in the Project X-Zone games for the 3DS.
don't get me wrong I'd love his inclusion too but I just have the hardest time believing they wouldn't go for a Resident Evil or at least Monster Hunter character first. Of course I'd prefer Phoenix to either of those but it would seem a bit odd to prioritize him over those series for playable status

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Here’s a hypothetical question. How would you guys feel about getting a character that came from a video game IP but didn’t originate from a game itself. For example, Jesse and James from Team Rocket. I was just watching random YouTube videos the other day and somehow it lead me into watching a bunch of Team Rocket scenes from the anime and it reminded me of how much I liked these two. They were easily the best part of the anime and are definitely iconic enough for Smash.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
don't get me wrong I'd love his inclusion too but I just have the hardest time believing they wouldn't go for a Resident Evil or at least Monster Hunter character first. Of course I'd prefer Phoenix to either of those but it would seem a bit odd to prioritize him over those series for playable status
You realize Monster Hunter had been mii'd right?

Resident Evil I'll give you the benefit however since their spirit event was in the last pass putting them potentially back in the running.

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You realize Monster Hunter had been mii'd right?

Resident Evil I'll give you the benefit however since their spirit event was in the last pass putting them potentially back in the running.
Eh Monster Hunter also has a ton of armor options from what I gather, they could just use a different one if they wanted. I'm not saying Monster Hunter is happening, just that it'd seem a bit odd for Phoenix to become playable before one of those characters

And basically the same for Resident Evil, I don't necessarily think they're likely, I just have a hard time imagining Phoenix getting in before them. If he had a huge amount of support maybe but I don't quite think he's there

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
We've gotten so much capcom content at this point that it's extremely difficult to think we're getting a capcom character at this point. And I feel like people are so caught up in the "hype" over a capcom character that they forget that each successive franchise does not inherit the demand nor interest of the previous. At this point, because we've passed up Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, AND Devil May Cry as far as content goes, I really, really see no reason to anticipate Ace Attorney, and think it's very foolish to celebrate that Wright has "no more competition" because it's not a competition between capcom franchises. If Nintendo didn't even want to get Dante that much, what makes people think they'll want Wright instead? They'd much rather dip IP they own, especially since Ace Attorney has not been that active in the past few years, with the last major release being Japan only, and Spirit of Justice releasing in 2016. Sure, AA7 may be in development now, but thinking that matters means you think Nintendo would have cared to know in 2018-2019.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And basically the same for Resident Evil, I don't necessarily think they're likely, I just have a hard time imagining Phoenix getting in before them. If he had a huge amount of support maybe but I don't quite think he's there
Not that it makes his chances better but of all the Capcom franchises, Ace Attorney does have the biggest history with Nintendo having been mostly on their consoles, one could say Phoenix is an honorary Nintendo character like how Banjo and Bayonetta are.

The possibility too that Sakurai would pick Phoenix because of his "unique and creative" moveset.

Food for thought.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
RE has the whole body horror thing that would be difficult to put in Smash without getting on CERO's nerves or raise the age rating. The main issue with Monster Hunter is that the developers apparently didn't want the Hunters to be playable and weren't thrilled when a Hunter was playable in MVCI.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
RE has the whole body horror thing that would be difficult to put in Smash without getting on CERO's nerves or raise the age rating. The main issue with Monster Hunter is that the developers apparently didn't want the Hunters to be playable and weren't thrilled when a Hunter was playable in MVCI.
So? Just don't pick Nemesis then. Go with one of the Resident Evil protagonists like Chris, Jill or Leon.

MattX20

Smash Hero
So? Just don't pick Nemesis then. Go with one of the Resident Evil protagonists like Chris, Jill or Leon.
If you're trying to represent RE, you'd have to reference the Zombies or the parasites from 4 even if it's just spirits. It's an impossible task to ignore

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Not that it makes his chances better but of all the Capcom franchises, Ace Attorney does have the biggest history with Nintendo having been mostly on their consoles, one could say Phoenix is an honorary Nintendo character like how Banjo and Bayonetta are.

The possibility too that Sakurai would pick Phoenix because of his "unique and creative" moveset.

Food for thought.
History doesn't really matter much. Banjo was picked because we, the fanbase, demanded for him, not because of some arbitrary classification, and neither was Bayonetta.

Ace Attorney was in a rather long lull period prior to Ultimate, and we're only just now getting more out of the franchise, through games that already existed and are only just getting localized. It's always been a really niche franchise, to the point where Capcom actually stopped releasing physical copies of new games because they weren't making back on printing costs. Yes, relevancy isn't as big of a factor when you've added Banjo, but when it comes to Ace Attorney, it has neither the demand to back it up nor the interest in the franchise on Nintendo's end. If Capcom themselves have so little interest to the point where they refuse to localize titles in the franchise for years/to this day (Gyakuten Kenji 2), I can't help but think of how little interest Nintendo must have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom