• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You said 'Chrome' and I immediately thought of Google Chrome.

Now it could be a Fire-Emblem character I never heard of OR I suspect your phone autocorrecting Chrom... BUT the fact that was the first thing I thought of was very funny to me.
The joke is that the Mii is a doppelgänger of Chrom that isn't quite right (because it's a Mii).

Thus, Chrome from the Fire Embull: Afakening.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
The second Fighter Pass hasn't introduced a character from a new company so far, so I decided to make this.

potential characters.jpg

Assuming that there's no double dipping from third party companies, these are the companies that already have playable characters in the game that haven't been part of this Fighter Pass alongside the characters I could see happening from each one of them. I've included Nintendo as well. The Sonic logo and the Pokeball are meant to represent their series. Am I missing anyone that you could see happening?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Golden Deer is easily the best route in FE: 3H IMO

-it's the only path where you get both the War at Gronder and the battle at Shambala
-it has easily the best final battle/final battle theme
-you get the most lore out of it

The only issues with it is that Edelgard's death scene doesn't really fit as well in Verdant Wind as it does in Silver Snow, and VW might feel a bit redundant if you do it after SS
No lies detected

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The second Fighter Pass hasn't introduced a character from a new company so far, so I decided to make this.

View attachment 321373

Assuming that there's no double dipping from third party companies, these are the companies that already have playable characters in the game that haven't been part of this Fighter Pass alongside the characters I could see happening from each one of them. I've included Nintendo as well. The Sonic logo and the Pokeball are meant to represent their series. Am I missing anyone that you could see happening?
I feel like we could add Andy to the Nintendo pile. Re-Boot Camp is a bit late for a pure promo pick, but Advance Wars as a series went pretty strong up until the Wii/DS era. If he was added, I think he'd be more of a legacy rep than a promo. Also maybe Isaac out of popularity but ATs put him in a weird situation that people don't seem to be able to agree on.

Side note, I will always love Marco's chaotic grin
1625187267179.png

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 321373

I share the sentiment with most of these, but I have my doubts about some:
-Konami pretty much shut down their best option (Bomberman), so I don't think we'll see anything from them in this pass. I'd love to see Raiden though but he isn't relevant anymore.
-Kiryu's interview which could've been a soft deconfirm
-iirc there were problems with Dragalia Lost's localization, and it's also known as a gacha game
-I don't think we'll see anything more from SNK this game, since they went the extra mile with Terry by giving us tracks from other games such as Metal Slug and Samurai Showdown, not to mention spirits.
-Harada's tweet could be a troll but I personally think it will hold true till the end
-Okami is pretty much a dormant series atm, I really doubt Nintendo would pick Ammy over the likes of RE, MH and Dante, it just makes no sense from a business standpoint. People underestimate how much it matters to be from a relevant IP.
-A Pokémon has been brought up to the point of ad nauseam, but I don't believe it's getting in, not only because of the spirit event, but also because of Tournaments and the horrible timing.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
-Konami pretty much shut down their best option (Bomberman), so I don't think we'll see anything from them in this pass. I'd love to see Raiden though but he isn't relevant anymore.
-iirc there were problems with Dragalia Lost's localization, and it's also known as a gacha game
-I don't think we'll see anything more from SNK this game, since they went the extra mile with Terry by giving us tracks from other games such as Metal Slug and Samurai Showdown, not to mention spirits.
-Harada's tweet could be a troll but I personally think it will hold true till the end
-Okami is pretty much a dormant series atm, I really doubt Nintendo would pick Ammy over the likes of RE, MH and Dante, it just makes no sense from a business standpoint. People underestimate how much it matters to be a relevant IP.
-A Pokémon has been brought up to the point of ad nauseam, but I don't believe it's getting in, not only because of the spirit event, but also because of Tournaments and the horrible timing.
Nakoruru is ruled out due to being a Mii.

D

Deleted member

Whenever we talk about 4th Party or just non-video game related stuff, it mainly amounts to characters since fighters are the meat of every Challenger Pack.

But let's say Nintendo and Sakurai decided they wanted to make a music pack containing songs that has no relation to video games outside of possibly being licensed to be in the games or ads. Whether if it's a song or an album, what non-video game songs would you want in Smash? I'm kinda curious to hear what most of our music tastes are that isn't specific to video games.

For me, I listen to a lot of EDM, so I unironically would kill for
Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites by Skrillex in Smash lol. Some aspects of that song haven't aged well to how dubstep is now, but it certainly is the most iconic dubstep song of all time as it pretty much laid the foundation of dubstep to greater heights. There's also a handful of EDM albums I want in Smash like Vicious Delicious from Infected Mushroom Hold Your Colour, In Silico, and Immersion all by Pendulum. Those albums are fairly old as well but a great amount of tracks still live up to this day. I could go on with a whole lot of tracks and albums I listen to daily, but I'd stick with the 1s I listed as the baseline of what non-video game tracks I want in Smash.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Whenever we talk about 4th Party or just non-video game related stuff, it mainly amounts to characters since fighters are the meat of every Challenger Pack.

But let's say Nintendo and Sakurai decided they wanted to make a music pack containing songs that has no relation to video games outside of possibly being licensed to be in the games or ads. Whether if it's a song or an album, what non-video game songs would you want in Smash? I'm kinda curious to hear what most of our music tastes are that isn't specific to video games.

Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites by Skrillex in Smash lol. Some aspects of that song haven't aged well to how dubstep is now, but it certainly is the most iconic dubstep song of all time as it pretty much laid the foundation of dubstep to greater heights. There's also a handful of EDM albums I want in Smash like Vicious Delicious from Infected Mushroom Hold Your Colour, In Silico, and Immersion all by Pendulum. Those albums are fairly old as well but a great amount of tracks still live up to this day. I could go on with a whole lot of tracks and albums I listen to daily, but I'd stick with the 1s I listed as the baseline of what non-video game tracks I want in Smash.
Disturbed would be pretty neat, as well as OST from anime shows such as OPM, Naruto, Bleach and Fairy Tail.
If we are talking movies, then Star Wars by far, just give me Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes.
Edit: here are some of the songs I'm talking about

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I would love some WWE music in the Punch Out stage. WWE has had a ton of great songs over the years that would be awesome to get in Smash.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Honestly it feels a bit like non DLC first party scene is/was effectively trying to make up for some dubious absences in previous games. K Rool was an excellent selection for Ultimate, but he would have been just as logical showing up in 4 or even Brawl. Same with Ridley and even Dark Samus to a degree. The upside of getting some long awaited fighters in a game like this is obvious, but it also feels like it effectively means those beyond upper tier of long time requests (your Isaacs, Impas, Dixies, Bandana Dee's & so on) won't really get consideration till the next game if they do at all.

tl;dr The mixed reception to new first party selection is in some ways Ultimate paying for previous Smash's sins in their roster choices more than its own.
Only difference is we wouldn't have gotten King K. Rool if the Ballot never happened. Ridley and Banjo Kazooie were requested far more in the loudly sense. Sakurai even mentioned Ridley multiple times. Geno is the surprising one for me. I really thought he'd get a shot this time. King K. Rool has never been brought up in Sakurai interview EVER prior to his reveal. Yes, the main villain of the DK franchise needed to be voted in to make it. Sad story...but true.

Twilord

Smash Ace

I'm pretty sure at this point we won't be getting a bonus character; but if we did it would be pretty cool to end with a third rep for both Microsoft and Bandai Namco...

Although I'm sure that would make Terry sad as he'd be from the only third-party with less than three.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
-Okami is pretty much a dormant series atm, I really doubt Nintendo would pick Ammy over the likes of RE, MH and Dante, it just makes no sense from a business standpoint. People underestimate how much it matters to be from a relevant IP.
I'll go over your points with my thoughts:
-I agree that Bomberman would have been the best choice from Konami, but I think we should keep an open mind on their other possible characters.
-I don't believe Nagoshi's interview is a disconfirmation. Nagoshi said that he wouldn't like to see Kiryu in fighting games because he doesn't want to see him hitting women, but he's said before that the idea of Kiryu in Smash would be fun. I think he was mostly talking about Tekken when he said he didn't want Kiryu in fighting games.
-Dragalia Lost is not available in Europe, but even so, I could see Nintendo picking it as a way to represent their mobile division in some way.
-I agree, I don't think we'll get more SNK characters, but I included them just in case. I still think a Metal Slug rep would be awesome, though.
-I think Harada was just trolling. The reason why I can see Arle happening is mostly because Puyo Puyo is very popular in Japan.
-I'll admit I included Amaterasu because I'm kinda biased. Okami is one of my favorite games of all time.
-Pokemon is a weird one to me. I agree with all of your points that would make it unlikely, but it's still Pokemon so I'll always consider it a possibility.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I mean... It's not fair??

Of course most people would pick Crash, Sora or Scorpion. Because they're more popular. But putting these characters against Min Min, Byleth or Pyra/Mythra doesn't make sense at all. The first ones are characters that beyond their popularity, have years and years of legacy. The second group are modern characters, limited to one platform, and in some cases, from very young franchises.

People wouldn't choose Crash or Scorpion over Min Min and Byleth because they're third party.

I mean the vast majority of my MWs are third party characters at this point, so it's not like I'd be pissed if what you said happened, but I don't agree with the reasoning and I think people gives the modern first party characters a lot of ****.
Being a younger/recent character doesn't make the character less valid.
It makes sense given my earlier point which had the restriction of 3rd party ONLY, and using these made up rules I'm not replacing any currently confirmed 3rd parties. Only the 1st party characters that I would take out for those named few. Not that any of it matters due to it being a hypothetical scenario.

Whatever the reason for them to get picked over, so be it. I'm just stating that 3rd party picks are more often than not of much higher value to the community. You are correct about that. It def does not make it less valid, just more of a boring timeline for the many that played Smash starting at 64 until now if I had to say so. Saying that however, I've always been against the whole this brand new character was just created this year....and BAM they get in Smash immediately anyway... I just don't agree with that, but legacy is everything to me so that's all.

Speaking in a more general sense of 1st party characters, I just don't like seeing all these great classic Nintendo characters get passed over just to bring in a newer generation. IMO the newer generations perception of what is cool fun or hip mostly comes from seeing what the older generation enjoys and is into anyway, so if Dixie, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Isaac, and even Geno were in the game now replacing whoever, Smash fame would still be exactly where it is, because it doesn't matter who gets added when the game is already such a spectacle.

I'm just glad this game has a truly passionate fan base no matter which way you slice it. Smash is truly a great thing to be a part of.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If there's one thing I've learned from Smash, it's that there are a LOT of games that are top quality, and you shouldn't allow loyalty to a brand to cloud that view.

I know I say this consistently (or did) but it's true. I played strictly (mostly) Mario, Sonic and Pokemon up until Brawl, which is when I forced myself to play new series. I tried Metal Gear, Zelda, Metroid Prime. Then, I eventually got Fire Emblem Awakening when that came out and LOVED it. I tried Xenoblade because it looked cool, and I loved it. I started stanning Shulk for Smash.

I'd never played Castlevania, but after Simon and Richter I gave it a shot and loved it. I'm actually super down for Alucard in whatever future Smash game we may get.

There are people out there who, if Character 11 is not their most wanted, will be devastated. But that devastation may also be because they don't have a knowledge of what's being offered, and don't have an attachment to the product. However, a current lack of connection doesn't mean there can't be a future attachment to the same character. Someone who seems undesirable now may seem like the coolest thing later.

This is exactly what happened for me with Joker. I bought Persona 5 before he was revealed, but shortly after he was revealed I started the game and fell in love with it.

Now, I am completely aware that this is coming from a place of financial comfort- I have a PS5, Xbox One X, and a Switch. I have the freedom to explore plenty of different games as I please, which is not something that all fans of Smash, regardless of age, have the access to. I am not about to shame somebody for not being able to experience the greatness that plenty of series that aren't from Nintendo or otherwise have to offer.

However, I think we can all agree- the more games you play, especially when it comes to speculating about our favorite party/fighting game, the higher chance of being happy with a reveal. If you only play Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon, your chances of disappointment are much higher than somebody who has played at least a game from each series with a playable character (except for Minecraft and King of Fighters/Fatal Fury).

Give games a chance, bros. You won't regret it! Now, I'm not exactly sure how often I will frequent the site but if anybody is looking to get into a series I am more than willing to give you some pointers. I have personal friends who ask me consistently about games to buy or try if they're into certain things, and they ask me because they trust my judgment. So, for what it's worth, please feel free to ask if you're curious!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Geno is the surprising one for me. I really thought he'd get a shot this time.
Geno seems to just be screwed:
  • He's 3rd party character owned by SquareEnix so who knows what rights issues are involved (speaking to Super Mario RPG as a whole).
  • He's wanted by a very small group of people overall, and unknown pretty much everyone else.
  • It needs to be verified, but there my be evidence that the higherups don't want Geno playable because there aren't any calls for Super Mario RPG to come back, and they don't want him to be associated almost exclusively with Super Smash Bros. like with Captain Falcon.
    • Again, the claim needs to be verified, but if it is true then we could say with 99% certainty that he's just never getting in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm just stating that 3rd party picks are more often than not of much higher value to the community
Sure, they're the pass sellers, but Nintendo has more goals in mind than just to sell the pass to Westerners who want to scream with delight on Twitter. Such as reminding people that ARMS exists, selling the pass to those who liked a JRPG that sold under 2 million alongside fans of some of the biggest games of all time, et cetera.

See also: Why K. Rool was followed by Isabelle instead of Geno.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
  • He's 3rd party character owned by SquareEnix so who knows what rights issues are involved (speaking to Super Mario RPG as a whole).
  • He's wanted by a very small group of people overall, and unknown pretty much everyone else.
  • It needs to be verified, but there my be evidence that the higherups don't want Geno playable because there aren't any calls for Super Mario RPG to come back, and they don't want him to be associated almost exclusively with Super Smash Bros. like with Captain Falcon.
    • Again, the claim needs to be verified, but if it is true then we could say with 99% certainty that he's just never getting in.
What I'd like to at least know is: Why wouldn't Square use Geno and other Mario RPG characters in their own games?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What I'd like to at least know is: Why wouldn't Square use Geno and other Mario RPG characters in their own games?
Given that they're from a Mario game, it's probably a hassle to give Geno a cameo in Final Fantasies that aren't on Nintendo systems or whatever.

As for why Geno isn't in any other Mario game Squenix developed...who knows.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Sure, they're the pass sellers, but Nintendo has more goals in mind than just to sell the pass to Westerners who want to scream with delight on Twitter. Such as reminding people that ARMS exists, selling the pass to those who liked a JRPG that sold under 2 million alongside fans of some of the biggest games of all time, et cetera.

See also: Why K. Rool was followed by Isabelle instead of Geno.
I know. I always hate the business part lol. I try to ignore that it's there. xD Good point.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I once heard a rumor that Square Enix once tried selling the rights to Nintendo, but that's just something I read, and I don't have a source. Not that Nintendo would be interested in buying, given their MO (as we've discussed)...

Technomage

Smash Champion
Given that they're from a Mario game, it's probably a hassle to give Geno a cameo in Final Fantasies that aren't on Nintendo systems or whatever.

Ah, I didn't know Nintendo still held some ownership over the guy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It probably has something to do with Nintendo owning the branding associated with the characters. For example they own the characters themselves but probably not Super Mario RPG as a whole.

They might could loophole this by establishing a different context for the characters, but I don't think that'd be the same.

That would require adding an RPG character to a Super Mario spin-off title that isn't an RPG, and they just don't do that.

Now I need a "Put a spin-off character that isn't from the Mario Kart, Sports, or Party series into the Mario Kart, Sports, or Party series or draw 25" image.

Nintendo, of course, chooses to draw 25.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ah, I didn't know Nintendo still held some ownership over the guy.
They simultaneously do and don't. Technically Square-Enix fully owns Geno, but he's from a Mario game so there's potential lawsuits to be had if Square-Enix were to put him in one of their AAA titles that is on everything but the Switch.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Well, there are a couple fourth-party songs I like associated with a game that I play...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Speaking in a more general sense of 1st party characters, I just don't like seeing all these great classic Nintendo characters get passed over just to bring in a newer generation. IMO the newer generations perception of what is cool fun or hip mostly comes from seeing what the older generation enjoys and is into anyway, so if Dixie, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Isaac, and even Geno were in the game now replacing whoever, Smash fame would still be exactly where it is, because it doesn't matter who gets added when the game is already such a spectacle.
I mean I get your point, but I don't know. These classic Nintendo characters aren't being passed over. If Sakurai and his team pick Isabelle the most likely option is that they never considered another character in her place, and if they did, it probably was a different Animal Crossing character. And so on.

In other words: the likes of Incineroar, Isabelle, Min Min or Byleth aren't blocking the way to Isaac, Waluigi, Dixie and the rest. And if they're a problem for these classic characters, then you should include K. Rool and Ridley as well, because they're also "stealing slots" if we go by that.

I'm not gonna say you or others have to enjoy modern or recent first party characters as much as others do, but I think seeing the whole matter like these characters are a "problem" for the older ones isn't the best perspective, not only because I feel it's wrong but also because in the end that leads to different fans being mad at each other and discussing why their characters are more "valid" or "deserving" of being in Smash.

Twilord

Smash Ace
So thinking about if every third party had three characters.

How would you finish Microsoft and Bandai Namco?

How would you do SNK?

What three would come from other Publishers? (Like Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, NIS, EA, Valve, et cetera.)

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
So thinking about if every third party had three characters.

How would you finish Microsoft and Bandai Namco?

How would you do SNK?

What three would come from other Publishers? (Like Activision-Blizzard, Ubisoft, NIS, EA, Valve, et cetera.)
Microsoft - Battletoads
Bandai-Namco - Velvet Crowe
Activision-Blizzard - Sarah Kerrigan, Illidan Stormrage, Diablo
NIS - Etna, Laharl, Valvatorez
Koei-Tecmo - Lu Bu, Kotaro Fuma, Ryu Hyabusa
Konami - Bill Rizer (if echoes don’t count)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom