• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I see people speculating between Dante and Phoenix Wright, but I don't know if either of them would get in over MH or RE, since those 2 franchises are much bigger. MH in particular it seems like would get a rep first.
I personally agree but it seems Smash has issues with those franchises right now.

My bet is that RE is considered "too reliant on real firearms" for Smash and that Monster Hunter is just too hard to license out.

I can understand the latter, but the former is kind of lame. Gimme RE stuff!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I personally agree but it seems Smash has issues with those franchises right now.

My bet is that RE is considered "too reliant on real firearms" for Smash and that Monster Hunter is just too hard to license out.

I can understand the latter, but the former is kind of lame. Gimme RE stuff!
I really doubt MH is hard to license out as Smash already has a surprising amount of MH, which for a series without a fighter is impressive, Capcom also just yeeted movie rights to whoever asked first and we've seen **** like this
7nUkhgJ.jpg

It's very weird as the MH team is clearly fine with a Hunter as a playable character in fighting games in contrary to what a 2011 or so quote would have you believe

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So, if Phoenix Wright turns out to be the last fighter for Ultimate, would you be okay with it? I've been in a bit of a debate on a Discord server over whether or not he or Dante are more likely, the most I've gotten from the Dante side is just the recent Switch ports (only one of which has any new content) over the longer, more substantial history of the Ace Attorney series on Nintendo consoles.
Does Tekken have much history with Nintendo? I know there was a port of Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U, was there anything else?

I really don’t think that history would help Phoenix out much. It’d be other factors that get him in.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Does Tekken have much history with Nintendo? I know there was a port of Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U, was there anything else?

I really don’t think that history would help Phoenix out much. It’d be other factors that get him in.
We got this weird anomaly.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
In an ideal world, maybe just maybe

• CP11 is either Dante or Phoenix Wright.
  • We get a Monster Hunter stage, at minimum is Rathalos boss arena. It includes 5-7 new tracks (no new mixes)
  • They add 1 RE Mii costume and Nemesis as an assist trophy (he is the most iconic boss in the franchise).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My bet is that RE is considered "too reliant on real firearms" for Smash...
With the amount of realistic guns portrayed in game from fighters to Spirits I don't think it's an issue anymore as far as the ratings boards are concerned.

There could be an issue with "zomg how am I supposed to make a readable set of normals with the character wielding this tiny pistol?" but I'm sure they'd think of something.

Also MvC2 Jill barely uses guns though...that's probably not a good example.

Shroob

Sup?
The only issue I see with Resident Evil would be the sheer amount of body horror which may make the ESRB/CERO side-glance at it.

Granted, you can 100% redesign the zombies to not have their flesh torn up and ****, but Resident Evil does lean heavily into body horror for a lot of its most iconic enemies.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We keep all this garlic bread talk up, we’re gonna get fat by the time Monday rolls around.
Wut?

The only issue I see with Resident Evil would be the sheer amount of body horror which may make the ESRB/CERO side-glance at it.

Granted, you can 100% redesign the zombies to not have their flesh torn up and ****, but Resident Evil does lean heavily into body horror for a lot of its most iconic enemies.
That part would probably be a matter of picking the stages carefully. Some don't have zombies and some don't have particularly gruesome ones.

It would be pretty dumb if they had to pass on a character because of what would likely be little more than a stage cameo (unless they wanted players to get periodically swarmed by Zombies or something).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That part would probably be a matter of picking the stages carefully. Some don't have zombies and some don't have particularly gruesome ones.

It would be pretty dumb if they had to pass on a character because of what would likely be little more than a stage cameo (unless they wanted players to get periodically swarmed by Zombies or something).
If they were to use MvC2 Jill as a base for an RE rep, that would mean zombies would have to be part of the moveset. That's one example where zombies would have to be censored.

Shroob

Sup?
Wut?

I mean, considering the background of DLC stages have been kinda swarming with cameos, it'd feel kinda off to NOT have a ton of background cameos in a Resident Evil stage tbh.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We keep all this garlic bread talk up, we’re gonna get fat by the time Monday rolls around.
I think you're in the wrong thread for this.

So you're telling me we'll only get one Resident Evil antagonist and it's going to be Lady Dimitrescu?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Smash Bros has a new power team. Please let this be a thing (like Sephiroth and Pichu)

There was a problem fetching the tweet
I prefer Kazuya befriending Kirby after failing to throw him off the cliff.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
I really doubt MH is hard to license out as Smash already has a surprising amount of MH, which for a series without a fighter is impressive, Capcom also just yeeted movie rights to whoever asked first and we've seen **** like this
View attachment 320419
It's very weird as the MH team is clearly fine with a Hunter as a playable character in fighting games in contrary to what a 2011 or so quote would have you believe
"Clearly fine with it" is pure speculation without an actual quote to supersede the previous one. It could easily be the case that Capcom and the MvC developer ignored their wishes and Nintendo and the Smash Bros developers didn't.
There's no doubt that Monster Hunter loves crossovers, but the track record for who gets represented does swing a certain way.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
"Clearly fine with it" is pure speculation without an actual quote to supersede the previous one. It could easily be the case that Capcom and the MvC developer ignored their wishes and Nintendo and the Smash Bros developers didn't.
There's no doubt that Monster Hunter loves crossovers, but the track record for who gets represented does swing a certain way.
I doubt the idea that both Capcom and Capcom would go against those wishes and have absolutely nothing come out regarding MH devs being upset, especially after a MH game became the best selling Capcom game of all time

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they were to use MvC2 Jill as a base for an RE rep, that would mean zombies would have to be part of the moveset. That's one example where zombies would have to be censored.
True, but I don't think they will. Mostly because that would imply flying zombies (unless you could only summon birds in the air) and that would be kinda ridiculous.

I mean, considering the background of DLC stages have been kinda swarming with cameos, it'd feel kinda off to NOT have a ton of background cameos in a Resident Evil stage tbh.
That's true.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
One of the producers is the son of the CEO and the brother of the president of Capcom, and even ignoring that, as said before MH is one of their highest selling franchises. Of course they asked if they could use the character, they're not burning that bridge over one game.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I find it weird we haven't had any Ace Attorney content at all in Smash. Even when Capcom throws a lot of mii costumes around character releases, I always expect a Phoenix Wright or Maya Fey mii costume but it never comes... Which is quite suspicious considering Ace Attorney has found a good home on Nintendo consoles. If we don't get an Ace Attorney costume for CP10, then I think Phoenix Wright has a pretty good chance at being the final character.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I find it weird we haven't had any Ace Attorney content at all in Smash. Even when Capcom throws a lot of mii costumes around character releases, I always expect a Phoenix Wright or Maya Fey mii costume but it never comes... Which is quite suspicious considering Ace Attorney has found a good home on Nintendo consoles. If we don't get an Ace Attorney costume for CP10, then I think Phoenix Wright has a pretty good chance at being the final character.
And then of course, we get the Great Ace Attorney Spirit Event to dash those hopes

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Wouldn't that just upset him.
Would it, though? I mean, just look at the roster of Dream Friends in Star Allies; only Rick&Kine&Coo, Gooey, and Adeliene&Ribbon haven’t willingly tried to murder him at least once (outside of versus modes; if you count those, that leaves only Ribbon.)

Stratos

Smash Ace
If Masahiro Sakurai leaves the Super Smash Bros. series after the last DLC character, Sora Ltd. will it be a developer with Bandai Namco or will it work alone? I mean of course in case someone else continues the series in place of Masahiro Sakurai.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 320419
It’s also worth noting that the producers and directors of the Monster Hunter games have, I believe, entirely changed since 2011.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
If Masahiro Sakurai leaves the Super Smash Bros. series after the last DLC character, Sora Ltd. will it be a developer with Bandai Namco or will it work alone? I mean of course in case someone else continues the series in place of Masahiro Sakurai.
I imagine bandai namco would still be involved even if sakurai steps down

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

There's a GBA game called Tekken Advance a port of Tekken 3 it doesn't have all the characters, but makes up for it with stuff like a team 3v3 mode. There's also a 3DS game called Tekken 3D Prime, essentially a version of Tekken 6. So 3 titles. Tekken Advance was the first GBA game I played I think. I remember thinking it was kind of crazy they made Tekken 3 work on a handheld.

Other than that, Tekken characters show up in the 3DS Project X Zone games.

Speaking of 3DS Tekken, It'd be neat if some of the new tracks were added in Smash since the Tekken 7 Jukebox skipped the handheld titles. Granted lots of those tracks were from 3 or 6. But some original tracks were kind of sandbagged Namely these 2.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion

I'm just saying, the whole trilogy + an exclusive new game for Switch is worth mentioning.
Also, they are celebrating the 10th anniversary, they said they will continue until the 23th of November, they had shown all kind of stuff already, so now that the new game has been revealed, what else it is to show?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero

I'm just saying, the whole trilogy + an exclusive new game for Switch is worth mentioning.
Also, they are celebrating the 10th anniversary, they said they will continue until the 23th of November, they had shown all kind of stuff already, so now that the new game has been revealed, what else it is to show?
Exactly, people can make a similar argument for a Danganronpa character with a trilogy port for the Switch that they can for Dante. It's one of the reasons why Phoenix Wright ranks higher for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom