• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My problem with this argument is, there's no actual reason the Mario Kart roster should be so small in the first place. It's not like Smash fighters where they need a unique and balanced moveset with tons of work for animations and hitboxes. All they need is a few animations and voicelines, set a weight class, and bam, they're done. Mario Kart Tour makes it obvious that the mainline game's roster being so small is just laziness on the part of the developers. So the way I see it, if they'd just quit being so lazy we could have a fully realized Mario roster AND however many crossover characters they can get.
That's cool but there's still reasons why Mario Kart doesn't have an infinite roster beyond "lol laziness". They still have to model all those characters and karts that go with them, and I imagine they want to have a semblance of balance.

Also if your reasoning for wanting a Smash Kart game is "well if they fixed the flaw that constantly plagues this series and has never been fixed it would work out great!" it seems like it's an idea better kept in the realm of fanfic.
TFW All is prerecorded which means no E3 Cringe.
I'll reserve judgment until after Ubisoft does their thing.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
It's like they're afraid to stray away from the main stays from the main or sports games, and when they do they pick a generic enemy or go for baby/alternate version of a character. There's so many legitimately cool characters that they ignore in favor of the crap we get, and sure, guest characters are cool but it doesn't negate how bad the roster still is.
I still remember Honey Queen's addition in Mario Kart 7. I want more off-the-wall picks like that, please.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Yeah we can never really know for sure what Sakurai’s and Nintendo’s criteria for Smash are so you could be right. If it helps, Starcraft actually has some history with Nintendo with Starcraft 64.
Yeah I just don't see Starcract. I thnk its more likely LOL. Lol is bigger than just Korea btw. Its also very popular in China, and the west.

I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't care about how many reps a genre gets considering how the pass has shaped out
I disagree. The only genre that has gotten more than one rep are RPGs. Everything else is one spot only.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
didn't people hate her because of they got her but not waluigi?
They did. They warmed up to her later when Waluigi came back. Waluigi's exclusion had a very negative set of feedback. And that was just for one game, no less.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
didn't people hate her because of they got her but not waluigi?
I don't know if it's confirmed but I read somewhere that Waluigi was meant to be in Mario Kart 7 but they couldn't get his model/animations working right so they sat him out for just this one time.

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Woke: Smash MOBA
Our last DnD session derailed for a little over people talking about this potential, and none of them are even particularly huge smash fans. I think that a lot of people would be on board with that.

Also Super Smash Kart idea getting a really, really weird amount of hate.

I think it'd work out really well, as long as they keep it SUPER light on third parties. Only characters who really fit, like Sonic. I don't really need to see Sephiroth scooting around Baby Park, as funny an image as it'd be.

But if I'm being completely honest here, I'd really rather see a Smash Party game. At least the Mario Kart games as a series has done consistently well, Mario Party team needs a swift kick in the pants real real bad. I also feel like it'd be a lot easier to manage that a Smash Kart.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I want a Smash Bros tactical RPG...

Ideally with every Unit operating completely differently. Like Marth actually being a Fire-Emblem Unit and then when you select Mario he plays just like Mario + Rabbids, and then Pokémon play like Pokémon Conquest, and... you get the idea.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
ngl smash bros in any other game genre besides platform fighter sounds comically bad on paper

I’d literally rather have a tv show/movie/book

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Dracula got a very happy ending at the end. Which is fine IMO if they decided to finish the whole Castlevania thing there. But with the news about a sequel, which was already confirmed... Unless they use another big bad or use Death/Shaft to force Dracula to be bad again, it doesn't make much sense. I guess they will have good ideas, but I think it would be wrong to not have Richter fighting Dracula. At the same time, for Drac to be bad again they will need some justification.
I'm just really hoping we get some Medusa, Mummy and Frankenstein action. Series 1 was sorely lacking.

Like, if we get, say, Reimu, I'm curious as to whether or not people will consider her an "expected" character or not.
HAHAhahahahahahaaaa!!! snort

Sorry, no. Only someone completely delusional would call Reimu "expected".

Last edited:

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
That's cool but there's still reasons why Mario Kart doesn't have an infinite roster beyond "lol laziness". They still have to model all those characters and karts that go with them, and I imagine they want to have a semblance of balance.

Also if your reasoning for wanting a Smash Kart game is "well if they fixed the flaw that constantly plagues this series and has never been fixed it would work out great!" it seems like it's an idea better kept in the realm of fanfic.
There isn't really any balance concerns at all in Mario Kart though. Racers don't have any unique moves or stats or abilities (bar Double Dash I guess). They're just set to one of a few weight classes.

Regardless, I think it's very likely there will be more crossover characters in the future. I don't have any official info, but I'd be shocked if Link, Inklings, Villager, and Isabelle didn't sell very well in MK8. Doubt the series will ever outright become Nintendo Kart just for the brand recognition of Mario Kart, but more crossover characters seems inevitable. Especially the ones that would fit well into the cartoony setting like Kirby or Toon Link.

What I'm not so sure about is if we'll ever see non-nintendo characters. That'd be another big leap. And perhaps the most logical first third-party is Sonic, but Sega is still selling their own kart racers, so who knows if they'd be willing to play ball or not.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So

We can pretty much guarantee that we're getting a character this upcoming week, at least one.

But when will they drop?

The day of seems extremely unlikely since we're going to have the Treehouse event(Which will probably heavily focus on BotW2), but the rest of the week is free. Or, we could get them the following week, or even worst case scenario, the week after/first week of July.

What do y'all think?
IMO I could see end of the week.

Direct on Tuesday, Sakurai Presents on Thursday.

That or the following week: I don’t think they’ll keep us waiting too long.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There isn't really any balance concerns at all in Mario Kart though. Racers don't have any unique moves or stats or abilities (bar Double Dash I guess). They're just set to one of a few weight classes.

Regardless, I think it's very likely there will be more crossover characters in the future. I don't have any official info, but I'd be shocked if Link, Inklings, Villager, and Isabelle didn't sell very well in MK8. Doubt the series will ever outright become Nintendo Kart just for the brand recognition of Mario Kart, but more crossover characters seems inevitable. Especially the ones that would fit well into the cartoony setting like Kirby or Toon Link.

What I'm not so sure about is if we'll ever see non-nintendo characters. That'd be another big leap. And perhaps the most logical first third-party is Sonic, but Sega is still selling their own kart racers, so who knows if they'd be willing to play ball or not.
It barely started having non-Mario related characters, so 3rd parties feels like it might be a while from now. It's easily a next step, but it'll probably be a while. I'd love to see characters who have raced before(Kirby, Falcon).

Twilord

Smash Ace
HAHAhahahahahahaaaa!!! snort

Sorry, no. Only someone completely delusional would call Reimu "expected".

Yeah; the closest thing to an 'expected' character is Lloyd; and that is why in my circles there are a lot of debates on why it might actually be Yuri (hugely popular with franchise fans), Chosen Undead (completely rewrote modern gaming), or Agumon (their highest grossing franchise after Pac-Man and the fighting version of Bandai's biggest pre-merger impact on gaming) on the basis 'well Sakurai is never that predictable and those are their three RPGs'.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
A new MK is a game where I wouldn’t mind the roster changed up

and by that I just mean cut PGP and maybe Baby Rosalina too

keep Link, Isabelle, Villagers and Inklings tho and bring back Funky, Diddy and Bowser Jr. and add Pauline and Octolings
There's really no reason for MK to have roster cuts. Characters don't even have unique movesets. Just different stat balances.

pls no smashkart
YEEEEEEES SMASHKART.

If a Smash Kart happens, give us some characters that aren't in Smash Bros. and would work in a Kart game compared to a fighting game.
Hell yes! Put in all 4 original F-Zero Racers, the entire StarFox team, a fistful of Sonic n friends!

The sky's the limit when you don't have to create movesets!

Please, dont ever do this. People seem to get a hard on for this idea but it is an awfull idea
Can't think of a single reason why.

Smash Kart seems like a good way to get either the exact same roster as Smash but slowly, making it incredibly predictable, or to get a roster of the caliber we expect from the team that brought us a trillion babies and metal versions. I don't see a timeline where the roster is as compelling as people want it to be.
Who cares about that? Give me THE TRACKS! The Metroid tracks, the Kirby tracks, the StarFox tracks!

You heard him folks. Never dream that things can be better than they are!

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

MGS4 turns 13 today!

Pillow

Smash Lord
Hell yes! Put in all 4 original F-Zero Racers, the entire StarFox team, a fistful of Sonic n friends!
I'd like if they raced how they would from their OG series. Kirby would ride the star thing and Sonic gang would just race the karts on feet. Seriously why do the Sonic animals need cars isn't their thing running fast?

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd like if they raced how they would from their OG series. Kirby would ride the star thing and Sonic gang would just race the karts on feet. Seriously why do the Sonic animals need cars isn't their thing running fast?
It's called "Playing Fair". Sonic with his feet would easily stomp the competition. So he plays fair by driving a car like the others.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't know about these other Genres for Smash, but I do want Smash to have a more of the Horror feel to it that Melee had a little of

Unlike other Smash games, Melee kind of a little creepy tone to it, through it's visual menus, Some of the music, which kind of has a afterlife feel to it, and of course, Giga Bowser. I think Melee Giga Bowser was the scariest incarnation of him
There is zero creepy tone to Melee. Brinstar Depths and maybe Venom. The rest of the game is a carefree light hearted toned game. Brawl was darker than Melee. And Smash 64 is basically Smash in a vault.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
My problem with this argument is, there's no actual reason the Mario Kart roster should be so small in the first place. It's not like Smash fighters where they need a unique and balanced moveset with tons of work for animations and hitboxes. All they need is a few animations and voicelines, set a weight class, and bam, they're done. Mario Kart Tour makes it obvious that the mainline game's roster being so small is just laziness on the part of the developers. So the way I see it, if they'd just quit being so lazy we could have a fully realized Mario roster AND however many crossover characters they can get.
Never assume something was done just due to laziness. That's just blaming the programmers and the modelers at the bottom who probably have little say and are mostly just doing what their bosses tell them to.

Besides, we don't know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. Modeling/animating isn't limited to the characters. There's all the carts and tracks as well. Especially the tracks which are probably what the most effort is put into. Some characters are probably lower priority to the devs since the Racing gameplay is the main selling point, as opposed to Mario Kart Tour where characters end up being the main selling point due to the game's filthy gacha system.

Edit: Not to mention the differences between developing for mobile devices compared to HD consoles - the latter requires far more detail.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Sonic uses the car for the same reason Shadow wears boots with thrusters on the front to push him backwards; it would be unfair to everyone else otherwise.

(In Shadow's own game he can use the boots to hover in mid-air while holding them at an angle that proves that they do push him backwards when running. My assumption is he was too fast for the Ark's artificial gravity, and has never learned to run without them. I mean, once you subtract the time spend in stasis he is actually probably the youngest character in the cast.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom