• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groose

Smash Champion
Does anyone else have any games they love but they don’t really care for the main character? I’m a huge Tales, Kingdom Hearts, and Xenoblade fan but I never really liked Lloyd, Sora, or Rex very much as characters so I didn’t really care much about any them making it into Smash despite enjoying their games. I feel like I’m in the minority with thinking this way.
Hmmmm. I remember feeling this way about Chrom back in the Smash 4 speculation days, and that’s part of why Robin was pretty hype for me. I felt the same way with Rex in that I really wanted Mythra specifically. But now… I can’t really name anyone else like that. Most of the characters I’d like are the face of their franchise.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Oooh, getting big Volga Hyrule Warriors vibes from him.

Yeah, I’m satiated both playstyle-wise and speculation-wise as well. I’m just seeing what’s up for dessert.
Yeah, Volga is a pretty good comparison. Lu Bu is famous for being the most powerful character in Dynasty Warriors. In earlier maps, you’re supposed to avoid him whenever he shows up because of how strong he is although it is still possible to beat him. That’s where the famous line “Don’t pursue Lu Bu” comes from.

Like Cia, Lu Bu has his own theme song that plays whenever he shows up.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Does anyone else have any games they love but they don’t really care for the main character? I’m a huge Tales, Kingdom Hearts, and Xenoblade fan but I never really liked Lloyd, Sora, or Rex very much as characters so I didn’t really care much about any them making it into Smash despite enjoying their games. I feel like I’m in the minority with thinking this way.

Uhhh, does it count if one of the reasons I want a V-Pet is because I want SEGA to cop on and make a new Chao Garden - but I don't think a Chao should be playable in Smash Bros?

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Nah, "Wizard with a Gun" refers to Yuna in her Gun Mage dress sphere. :4pacman:

I can’t really argue there. Speaking of gun wielding Final Fantasy characters, that reminds me how I think Vincent Valentine would make for an awesome Smash character. He was always my favorite playable character from VII and even got his own game but he never gets brought up.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can’t really argue there. Speaking of gun wielding Final Fantasy characters, that reminds me how I think Vincent Valentine would make for an awesome Smash character. He was always my favorite playable character from VII and even got his own game but he never gets brought up.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was because he needs a guide and is pretty weird, but I cheered when I saw his Spirit and realized the fight was a reference to his gun and his Limit Breaks

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do Squall and Seifer count, even though their Gunblades are actually vibroblades, not swords that shoot bullets?
Squall and Seifer would be great too. I guess you can count them as gun wielded although Irvine is the true gun wielder from VIII and was also cool.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So it seems we might be getting a double character based on glitch theory.

I don't know what would be funnier in my circles:

Dixie & Kiddy - would drive a pretty well known acquaintance of mine crazy
Dixie and Kiddy do tag in and out but both are always visible on screen and the active Kong can pick up and throw the inactive one so Ice Climbers may still be applicable.

You know, "Dixie & Kiddy Kong" was indeed a character I submitted to Nintendo's fighter ballot back during the Wii U/3DS DLC fighter days, so if it indeed happens, you can blame me hehehehe.

I posed it as like a Rosalina & Luma type fighter where they use their team actions to fight with Dixie as the "main" fighter. (Dixie rolling Kiddy like a barrel, riding ON him like a barrel, slamming him into the ground, having Kiddy throw her upwards for a recovery, etc).

DKC3 is my favorite of all DKCs, so I'd be a happy boy, hence why I plugged it into the Fighter Ballot.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Ok so

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sol's gonna be a hella popular request in the future, prepare yourselves y'all
If Sol happens, then should he get Order Sol as an echo (even a more Ken-like one, due to things like his Charge mechanic)?

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
It’d be nice if we could play their games on the Switch Nintendo. 😒

I used to always think it'd be neat to have an old-style (NON SP) GBA as a stage in Smash with the L AND R buttons acting as springboards you could jump off of and having footage of GBA games play on the screen after a cartridge falls into the slot, damaging anyone standing in the way.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I used to always think it'd be neat to have an old-style (NON SP) GBA as a stage in Smash with the L AND R buttons acting as springboards you could jump off of and having footage of GBA games play on the screen after a cartridge falls into the slot, damaging anyone standing in the way.
Don't forget instantly KO-ing opponents that it hits when close enough to the slot (in a similar vein to Midgar being split by Odin or the Pirate Ship hitting that rock).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It’d be nice if we could play their games on the Switch Nintendo. 😒

My first GBA was Pokémon Emerald, I think.

So many good games on the GBA. Both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Zelda Minish Cap, the Mega Man Zero games, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Wario Land 4, the 3 Fire Emblem games... and I need to play a few more titles.

I'd be really happy if they announce GBA games for the NSO anytime soon. Now I'm more interested in going back to the GBA library than doing so with the SNES games tbh

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
My first GBA was Pokémon Emerald, I think.

So many good games on the GBA. Both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Zelda Minish Cap, the Mega Man Zero games, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Golden Sun, Wario Land 4, the 3 Fire Emblem games... and I need to play a few more titles.

I'd be really happy if they announce GBA games for the NSO anytime soon. Now I'm more interested in going back to the GBA library than doing so with the SNES games tbh
First GBA game was Pokemon Sapphire.

FAVORITE was Sonic Battle
Batoru.jpg

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I was thinking about the “SMASH BROTHERS” trademark back in 2019

even though it said something about “mobile devices” (can’t confirm atm) maybe they’re already trademarking the next game?

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So obviously I'm wanting to see my MWs in at least one of these last two slots, but I'm really trying to prepare myself for the fact that I could very well get none of them.

Instead, I'm just trying to trust that the characters we end up getting will be fun and interesting. I've gotten at least SOME enjoyment from every Ultimate newcomer so I'm just trying to focus on that part, and on how we'll be getting new members to the Smash family.

Ultimate is such an amazing accomplishment already, so I think I'll just be satisfied with whatever we get next. At least that will be my eventual feeling. Lol

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So obviously I'm wanting to see my MWs in at least one of these last two slots, but I'm really trying to prepare myself for the fact that I could very well get none of them.

Instead, I'm just trying to trust that the characters we end up getting will be fun and interesting. I've gotten at least SOME enjoyment from every Ultimate newcomer so I'm just trying to focus on that part, and on how we'll be getting new members to the Smash family.

Ultimate is already such an amazing accomplishment already, so I think I'll just be satisfied with whatever we get next. At least that will be my eventual feeling. Lol
That's kind of the same with me too. I mean... the fact that we have this many characters together at all is a feat unto itself.

Obviously there are characters I would want more than others and like, if say... Overwatch or Fortnite or LoL or "another Fire Emblem character" or whatever got into Smash, I'd kind of have apathy about it, wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it, but overall it's "another character to add to an already unreal roster".

I think LITERALLY the only two fighters I could possibly be actually mad at would be either anything from Sonic Boom or Classic Sonic, and even THAT is purely out of my crazed Sonic fandom/being OK if I never see Classic Sonic ever again.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Ultimate is already such an amazing accomplishment already, so I think I'll just be satisfied with whatever we get next. At least that will be my eventual feeling. Lol
That's the best way to enjoy all of this, no doubt.

Going into Smash speculation demanding that your MWs will be added, when there are almost literally endless options out there, is just inevitable disappointment.

Smash will be never able to add all the popular names or the characters fans want. It's not wrong to have priorities and most wanteds, not at all, but when people start to demand their MWs instead of supporting them, that's when things (usually) go wrong. And as you said, with only 2 characters left, chances are low for any of our requests.

As long as the characters added bring something cool or some unique content, I'm happy.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Yeah like, my most wanteds right now are:

Shadow
Lanky Kong
Spyro
Shantae
Pretty Much any Sonic character, ALL OF EM if possible (Sans Classic and Boom)

That's... er... way more than two. And that's just MOST WANTEDS, that's not counting characters that I would really like but not on that same level: Blaziken, Bad Mr Frosty, Ashley from WarioWare, any of the Dead or Alive girls, Alena from Dragon Quest IV, any further Dragon Quest characters, Crono, any Chrono Trigger character, TWEWY characters, odd Zelda characters here and there, I could go on.

We're pretty much only getting TWO more fighters, so just enjoy what we get and enjoy the fact that we have as many fighters as we do.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I think something missing from this pass is a fighter who is popular in places outsides of US & Japan, much like Terry was in Fighters Pass 1. I don't know if it'll be the next char but I think something like a League of Legends Rep is pretty likely at this point.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Since we're getting ever so closer to Nintendo's E3 event, and some leakers are starting to come out (most notably that practicalbrush guy), I'm gonna go offline for the next few days.

I got Yakuza 5 and Astral Chain to entertain me for the weekend. Until post-Nintendo, see y'all and good luck on your MW's, whoever they may be.

Last edited:

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
Ok so

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sol's gonna be a hella popular request in the future, prepare yourselves y'all
Sol has been slowly becoming a more popular Smash request for a while now. The biggest evidence for this can be found by looking at the results of the Source Gaming Polls for 2019 and 2020. He placed #125 in 2019 and #32 in 2020.

I'd argue that this increase in popularity is because of Terry's inclusion. Personally, I always thought that the next fighting game character would be from Tekken, so the fact that it was Terry made me start considering other possibilities besides Heihachi or Jin. As a fan of Arcsys, Sol immediately came to mind and quickly became one of my most wanted characters. Judging by his increase in popularity in Source Gaming's Poll, it seems like I wasn't the only one who thought like this.

Strive is already looking to be the most popular Guilty Gear yet, so I expect that Sol's Smash popularity is going to increase even further.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
So I'm understanding there's some sort of glitch theory suggesting a fighter like Ice Climbers or Rosalina & Luma or something?

Ehhhh just for funsies I'll throw my picks into the ring:

Dixie & Kiddy from DKC3. Especially if a new Donkey Kong game is coming and by SOME WEIRD CHANCE Kiddy happens to be in it. Also happens to line up with Pink Color Theory

Some weird Pokemon combo. Plusle/Minun, Male and Female Meowstic, etc. I've heard weirder ideas. Let's get weird, maybe even a trainer/Pokemon Combo: Misty chuckin Starmie around, Morty with Gastly, Maylene with Meditite floating around her, Marlon with Jellicent, we can get wild with that idea.

Ayumi Tachibana and Main Hero Detective Guy from Famicom Detective Club: Working together to solve mysteries AND to beat up Pikachu and Daisy.

Kuff n Klout from DKC3. Just for the hell of it.

Mighty and Ray from Sonic Mania (please be Mighty and Ray and not Classic Sonic and Tails please please please, no more Classic Sonic for a while)

Cream the Rabbit with Cheese the Chao (great left field pick. Throw in a Chao Garden stage to soften the rage)

Let's go nuts for this last one: Ellie the Elephant with Parry the Parallel Bird hovering around her.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I think something missing from this pass is a fighter who is popular in places outsides of US & Japan, much like Terry was in Fighters Pass 1. I don't know if it'll be the next char but I think something like a League of Legends Rep is pretty likely at this point.
How about Sarah Kerrigan? I know Starcraft is massive in Korea.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I have my most wanted characters but I’m cool with anyone if they’re from a good/beloved game.

This pass has been sort of iffy on that IMO. You have two characters from two of the best games ever (:ultsteve::ultsephiroth:) but then two characters from games that are already forgotten outside of hardcore Nintendo circles.

I feel like Pass 1 was a lot better in that regard than Pass 2 (so far?). Byleth is the weakest pick of that pack but Three Houses seems like it’ll be remembered more in the long run than Arms/XBC2.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I've said this in another thread, but I'm fairly confident that not only we will see FP10, but also FP11. One look at Smash's history at E3 from Melee to E3 2019 shows a pretty consistent pattern. With Melee's first E3 reveal, we had Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, and Sheik shown off. Brawl in E3 2006 gave us Meta Knight, Pitt, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Snake. E3 2013 gave us the Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. E3 2014 gave us the Miis, Palutena, and Pac Man. E3 2015 had Roy and Ryu, but were leaked due to a datamine. E3 2018 gave us the first gameplay footage for Inkling on top of Daisy and Ridley, and finally E3 2019 gave us the Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo and Kazooie. We've had 2 character reveals every event at bare minimum, and I've no reason to believe Nintendo would limit it to just one this time around

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I've said this in another thread, but I'm fairly confident that not only we will see FP10, but also FP11. One look at Smash's history at E3 from Melee to E3 2019 shows a pretty consistent pattern. With Melee's first E3 reveal, we had Peach, Bowser, Ice Climbers, and Sheik shown off. Brawl in E3 2006 gave us Meta Knight, Pitt, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Snake. E3 2013 gave us the Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer. E3 2014 gave us the Miis, Palutena, and Pac Man. E3 2015 had Roy and Ryu, but were leaked due to a datamine. E3 2018 gave us the first gameplay footage for Inkling on top of Daisy and Ridley, and finally E3 2019 gave us the Dragon Quest heroes and Banjo and Kazooie. We've had 2 character reveals every event at bare minimum, and I've no reason to believe Nintendo would limit it to just one this time around
I honestly would be SHOCKED if we don't see both of the final two here at E3. I honestly think this is "the big end".

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't expect a double reveal unless one of these things happen:

1. Both fighters drop in the next couple weeks.
2. They announce more DLC beyond FP2.
3. One of the fighters is so controversial they had to announce it alongside a massive crowd pleaser in order to minimize the backlash.

Also, I don't expect another multi-character fighter, because the most recent fighter was also one and Sakurai even mentioned how much of a pain the Ice Climbers were to implement in Pyra/Mythra's Sakurai Presents. Also, according to some people that glitch has been around for a year, so it doesn't mean anything in terms of Glitch Theory unless that character was delayed. I don't believe in Glitch Theory.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
How about Sarah Kerrigan? I know Starcraft is massive in Korea.
Is StarCraft still popular anywhere else? Real time strategy games have pretty much been replaced by MOBAs at this point.

As for Sol Bad Guy. I am leaning towards us not get another Fighting game character for this pass. I think Nintendo thinks MinMin filled that slot for this pass. That might seem kinda silly, but they did release the Heihachi mii costume along side her, so they do seem to view her as a proper fighting game rep. Or at least the most proper fighting game rep for this pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom