• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
  1. Zack was in Birth by Sleep, which was for the PSP
  2. 358/2 Days was for the DS
And I call myself a KH fan rip

I forgot 358/2 was a 3dS for some reason. Probably doesn't help that I didn't play either of those games because I didn't have a PSP and I also didn't know 358/2 even existed when I had a DS

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
You ever like a game that Sakurai never talked about and you hope one day he does talk about it? Sakurai has said to have played many games but I wonder if he's ever interested in playing some more obscure games.

It's a bit random to say this but I guess it was an excuse to hope that Sakurai has played TimeSplitters 2.

volbound1700

Smash Master
And I call myself a KH fan rip

I forgot 358/2 was a 3dS for some reason. Probably doesn't help that I didn't play either of those games because I didn't have a PSP and I also didn't know 358/2 even existed when I had a DS
Yeah, I never owned any of the Nintendo handhelds so I get GBA, DS, and 3DS games mixed up a lot. I know 358/2 is a different game from KH 1 but I thought KH 1 made it onto a Nintendo handheld. Am I correct or not?

I know that Cloud plays a decent role in KH 1 along with other FF characters.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You ever like a game that Sakurai never talked about and you hope one day he does talk about it? Sakurai has said to have played many games but I wonder if he's ever interested in playing some more obscure games.

It's a bit random to say this but I guess it was an excuse to hope that Sakurai has played TimeSplitters 2.
There is Oboromuramasa for me but he played 13 sentinels by the company that Muramasa so thats good enough for me

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

He’s talked about Xenoblade 1 and 2 but not X…

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Yeah, I never owned any of the Nintendo handhelds so I get GBA, DS, and 3DS games mixed up a lot. I know 358/2 is a different game from KH 1 but I thought KH 1 made it onto a Nintendo handheld. Am I correct or not?

I know that Cloud plays a decent role in KH 1 along with other FF characters.

Unless it came out while I was asleep I don't remember Kingdom Hearts 1 ever coming to Nintendo systems at all. It is in that all-in-one collection on the Sony systems, Xbox and PC though. Tho KH1 and 2 on the switch would be great RIGHT, SQUARE ENIX?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

I'd like to hear more about what Sakurai thinks of Level-5's games, I know he interacted with the CEO a few times and they follow each other on Twitter, and he apparently also talked about the Layton series once in one of his columns, but I have yet to see that more in depth for myself though..

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

"With Ultimate having been finished, I've had more time to dive into various other titles, including playing through the whole Bubsy series."

"I now no longer like video games."

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If we took it as a solid disconfirm for characters that would most likely just have one fire move in their moveset, that would kill off a lot of characters wouldn't it?

From the top of my head:
Cinderace (Fire pokemon)
Scorpion (Fire Ninja)
Sol Badguy (Gunflame)
Lloyd Irving (Blazing Tempest)
Amaterasu (Inferno)
Doomguy (Flame Belch)
Chosen Undead (maybe?)
Chun Li (also maybe? the tourney also lists Ganondorf so it's really stretching the definition of fire)
Lloyd Irving isn't that impacted. Blazing Tempest is a move exclusive to the PS2 and PS3 versions and it's a level 1/Base move in the same tier as Tempest which is non-elemental. He does have Rising Phoenix and Divine Justice as well, but Rising Phoenix is activated by Rising Falcon but they're both Lvl 3/Arcane moves anyways. And Divine Justive was only used in the sequel and all spin-offs with Lloyd sticks with Falcon's Crest as his signature Mystic Arte.

SKX31

Smash Master
I always like these responses to glitches like how training mode ****ed up shielding or something and people only realized it a year later. Like, if people didn't find out until that long later, it wasn't that big of deal.
Oh yeah the parrying projectiles thing. Where Sakurai and co did make the change in 3.0 but they ****ed up and the change only applied it to Training mode until patch 9.0.

Yeah, it's a minor thing since not a lot of characters would take advantage off of 3 frames gained by parrying a projectile (the parry would have to be up-close for it to matter really, and only then with certain attacks), but it was still really weird to see them screw up like that.

No, it's just a glitch involving the Icies and their spin move.
Worth noting that :ulticeclimbers: are the kind of character who really would want as few small annoying glitches like that as possible. Still, fixing small annoying glitches like that - regardless of character affected - would be good (I get the impression it's due to the partner climber's increased speed stats, but I could be wrong.)

"With Ultimate having been finished, I've had more time to dive into various other titles, including playing through the whole Bubsy series."

... And that's when Sakurai decided to make Bubsy CP12 and make him able to zero-to-death the entire Ultimate cast from a single jab. While every attack's voiceline is at max volume. :4pacman:

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well dang... you guys figured out FP#10. My friend that works for Sora, Ltd. told me in confidence that Bubsy was FP #10. His design will be based on the design from Bubsy 3D.

The trailer for Bubsy 3D features a crossover with Cinemassacre and the AVGN.

Oh well... at least you don't know about FP#11 being Superman from the 64 game.

Last edited:

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I won't lie though, among almost everyone that I know, Masterchief would probably move the needle more than any other DLC addition.
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I don't think anyone would generate sales the way Chief would. Crash and Sora have that same weight to them, but the venn diagram for fans of those series and owners of Switchs probably has real considerable overlap.

What I'm saying is Chief would move CONSOLES.

I read this in Dunkeys voice. Everything always turns straight into Dunkeys voice as soon as I read the word Bubsy.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Also y'all I wanna bring up one leak because of something

The Ryu Hayabusa and Phantasy Star Character in Smash 4chan leak from a while ago:

Besides these two fighters, it claims that more fighters are on the way. Is this the first somewhat correct leak we've gotten that could also get right the fact that EVEN more fighters are on the way?
why is no one talking about this

big if true

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

big if true
Because aside from Sakurai saying the dlc will end “soon” and I’ve come to take his word on it, Matoi in particular seems like THE most left field choice ever

as in, so left field it doesn’t even seem realistic

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again: I don't think anyone would generate sales the way Chief would. Crash and Sora have that same weight to them, but the venn diagram for fans of those series and owners of Switchs probably has real considerable overlap.

What I'm saying is Chief would move CONSOLES.

I read this in Dunkeys voice. Everything always turns straight into Dunkeys voice as soon as I read the word Bubsy.
Yeah but there is a difference between hype and purchasing the game. I can see a lot of people that are hyped about Masterchief still not buying a Switch or Smash. I could probably get them to try out the game though so at least it got them to the table.

People on this boards like to use sales to argue how big a character is but there are characters that have high sales but really were not that big from a hype or known to the public while there are also series that had lower sales but everyone played the game and the character becomes a trend and is talked about everywhere.

Halo's impact, IMO, is greater than its sales. Sure it has 83 Million sales but in its heyday, he was probably about as popular as Mario and Link (Franchises with significantly more sales and that are more iconic). I do think Halo isn't as big today as it was in the Halo 1-3 era.

Putting the MCC on Switch would be more likely to drive console sales then putting him into Smash.

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Because aside from Sakurai saying the dlc will end “soon” and I’ve come to take his word on it, Matoi in particular seems like THE most left field choice ever

as in, so left field it doesn’t even seem realistic
how can u say this when a piranha plant was the first dlc character

Shroob

Sup?
Want something much worse than her outfit? From the same game? I'd be happy to make Matoi, Pyra and Mythra's outfits look like classical dress gowns in comparison. :demon:
You can't break me
I live on that side of the internet off-site

I just think her outfit's way too much for Smash.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

big if true
Big if true

But not true

Because aside from just... being a random 4chan leak, this leak took the safest claims, the easiest guesses, already known titles, and still overlooked that Grezzo put out a game last month, making another different Zelda title by them this year quite the implausible prospect.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Big if true

But not true

Because aside from just... being a random 4chan leak, this leak took the safest claims, the easiest guesses, already known titles, and still overlooked that Grezzo put out a game last month, making another different Zelda title by them this year quite the implausible prospect.
lol do u rly think everything the leak guessed right was just luck ?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
lol do u rly think everything the leak guessed right was just luck ?
What did the leak guess? Mario Golf and Gen 4? Well Camelot has already done Tennis and at that point you're guessing between Golf and Golden Sun (or some new venture). Golf is the safe guess there. Gen 4? I mean, everyone and their dog was guessing Gen 4 would be this year.

So... yeah...

Everything else is piggybacked from elsewhere, was already publicly known at the time this leak was dropped, or hasn't come to fruition.

Ivander

Smash Legend
You can't break me
I live on that side of the internet off-site

I just think he outfit's way too much for Smash.
Yeah, but we're talking about an official game that had official designer contests, can be played by kids, and certainly had no inhibitors on what got in.

That aside, Matoi does have an official outfit that they could have her in that is very tame.

And those are shorts she's wearing, not a onesie with a skirt.
Edit: She also has this outfit too.
Matoi_civilian_outfit_eporacle_ep2.png

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm also just going to say that while I don't doubt a PSO2 character could happen, I mean, it is pretty SUS that PSO2 was the only other twitter to congratulate Smash Ult alongside Dragon Quest, I kinda doubt someone like that would be dropped at E3

.....And I just kinda doubt her in general since

1623365380982.png

1623365390274.png

1623365402061.png

booba

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Alucard is popular, and I'm sure he especially gained more traction because of the Castlevania Netflix show that first aired in 2017. Season 2 of that show aired on October 26, 2018, two months and 18 days after Simon and Richter were revealed to be playable.
He was definitely the most popular Castlevania character before the show.

Being the protagonist of Symphony of the Night, the most popular entry, helps a lot, but he also has multiple appearances across the series unlike most Belmonts. Non-Castlevania fans will definitely know about the Belmonts and the Vampire Killer, but I feel they might not know nothing about a specific Belmont (be it Simon, Richter, Julius or another one), but they will probably know about Alucard, specially now after the Netflix show. At least that's my perspective after all these years. Before I played my first Castlevania game years and years ago I was already familiar with Alucard, but I didn't either know or remember any specific Belmont.

As for his words when picking a Castlevania rep, I feel he was talking about not only Castlevania fans but also people in general, people who never played Castlevania I mean. And with fans, I understand that he means "Smash fans". Simon was the one Smash fans pushed the most. The Belmonts are also more synonymous with Nintendo consoles, with Super Castlevania IV being a defining title of the SNES.

All of that was in a period where the Smash community felt Nintendo connections were a big factor for third parties. I'm wondering... would we had got Alucard instead of Simon/Richter if that idea didn't exist before? Now, almost any character feels somewhat realizable regardless of being enough Nintendo or not, which wasn't really the perspective fans had years ago. If we imagine a scenario where Castlevania wasn't added to Ultimate's base game but ended having it's chance for, let's say, Fighter Pass 2 or the next Smash game, I feel that Alucard would have been in a even better position, because I'd assume fans would start pushing more for him and not just Simon.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
You know what isn't talked about enough in this game? The HD Rumble.

It is ssssssooooooo good and I have no idea why Nintendo never advertised it. It enhances the action so much for me, as every character's HD Rumble feels different from the next.

It'd be cool if they could make a character that could utilize the tech. Sadly, they could never do that since Smash Ultimate supports so many controllers that don't feature haptic feedback.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
That leak looks fake since I think the only way Fighter 11 would be known is if a double reveal happens which I doubt it is the case.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Something I do hope for with the next Smash game is more first party inclusions, but the thing is, Smash has a reputation of being a huge video game crossover now.

Sorry, just a random thought that has nothing to do with this conversation lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom