• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I think it has to do with Smash's community being the most desperate for the series' director to take a vacation, but they refuse to realize that thanks to Japan, Sakurai is surrounded by people who think he's a perfectly normal person. The only break he'd take from Ultimate DLC is one involving making a new game, Smash or otherwise.
Sakurai is definitely a hard worker, but I think people tend to exaggerate as if he's the only one. There's other devs that are just as hard of workers and have spent the same amount of time on their own projects, yet I never see people complain about them not getting a vacation. It's their jobs, and I'm sure that it's their own passion keeping them going, not like they're being held hostage or anything.

Shroob

Sup?
Half Life 3 would be a whole new game, Smash dlc is just extra characters on top of what we already have. Like I said, there's games in the genre that have been going on just as long if not longer, Tekken's in season 4, Street Fighter 5 is on season 5. Nobody complains there though because it just means that more content is being added regularly post launch for years and makes the game worth coming back to when new stuff is there to mess with. But with smash I feel that too many people are focused on the finish line. If you're that tired of it, do something else, but Smash Ultimate is far from an incomplete game, this is purely extra content.
I mean, truthfully speaking, Smash really can't be compared to other fighting games.

Weird thing to say, but lemme explain.

With Street Fighter and the like, you basically know what you're gonna get, either returning characters or completely brand new ones, and in games like Tekken or MK, they have occasional 3rd party....(?) characters, but usually nowhere near as many as the non-ones.

Smash? It's a collection of gaming. It doesn't stick to one series, and that's why we're all here right now. We all wanna know what comes next, because perhaps our favorite video game characters will join the fight. If you compare the speculation scene in any other fighting game franchise, Smash just dwarfs it. And it's because of this nature that Smash characters are from other games that gives it its appeal tbh.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
This is X erasure and thusly Maverick talk.
I love X but there's a reason Zero got in crossovers a hell of a lot sooner than X did.

Sidenote, is it weird to want X to be based off of his armour sets instead of his default look should he join Smash? I feel that'd give more creative freedom for special moves, maybe even chargable normals if he's handled like Classic Mega Man

Technomage

Smash Champion
As someone who still wants the DLC run to end someday, I have already accepted that Sakurai's not gonna take any breaks until he's very elderly. It's just that Smash DLC is eventually gonna get stale if it goes on for too long, and I'd prefer to see Ultimate's DLC reach its conclusion (and hopefully end on a high note).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As someone who still wants the DLC run to end someday, I have already accepted that Sakurai's not gonna take any breaks until he's very elderly.
i think at the very least he should look for a successor for when he does one day retire

which granted prob isn't for the next decade at least

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As someone who still wants the DLC run to end someday, I have already accepted that Sakurai's not gonna take any breaks until he's very elderly.
Trust me, as someone who thinks the community isn't acknowledging Japan's work culture when they think Sakurai's gonna take a long vacation, I don't think Ultimate's DLC will go on THAT much longer. Just one more pass if we even get that.

Technomage

Smash Champion
i think at the very least he should look for a successor for when he does one day retire

which granted prob isn't for the next decade at least
Does Japanese work culture even allow retirement (well, besides at an age where he's become senile and decrepit)?

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I mean, truthfully speaking, Smash really can't be compared to other fighting games.

Weird thing to say, but lemme explain.

With Street Fighter and the like, you basically know what you're gonna get, either returning characters or completely brand new ones, and in games like Tekken or MK, they have occasional 3rd party....(?) characters, but usually nowhere near as many as the non-ones.

Smash? It's a collection of gaming. It doesn't stick to one series, and that's why we're all here right now. We all wanna know what comes next, because perhaps our favorite video game characters will join the fight. If you compare the speculation scene in any other fighting game franchise, Smash just dwarfs it. And it's because of this nature that Smash characters are from other games that gives it its appeal tbh.
I can kind of understand, but I do believe that getting burnt out is not the game's fault, once again you don't need to make it your primary focus. Especially the people who wait to see a specific character only for them to not appear.

Shroob

Sup?
I can kind of understand, but I do believe that getting burnt out is not the game's fault, once again you don't need to make it your primary focus. Especially the people who wait to see a specific character only for them to not appear.
I mean, again though, it's not my primary focus.

Sometimes, people just enjoy a sense of closure, ya know? I'm the kind of person that can read a good book, and be happy when it's over.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe they could theoretically make a CP based on Castlevania Judgement.
No need, the Sorrow duology has 3 songs if we count Heart of Fire content, OoE has a mere 3 songs, the 3D games have next to nothing at all, SotN and Portrait of Ruin are the only ones where you could pretend to have an issue with content

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I mean, again though, it's not my primary focus.

Sometimes, people just enjoy a sense of closure, ya know? I'm the kind of person that can read a good book, and be happy when it's over.
I guess so, but the moment dlc ends discussion will just be of the next game. That's mostly gonna consist of character discussion, which isn't much different from now, Smash isn't a story, it's a fighter. Nothing is gonna really end except for Ultimate's support.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Isabelle is in the game, and she's very very neat and good. Not sure there's more than just a select few additions that could sour me on Ultimate, for this reason.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
RULES FOR DIRECTING SMASH (by masahiro sakurai)

1. **** the color purple

that's it.
Very funny, wise guy!

Still, I imagine the successor would work as hard as Sakurai himself, or at least maybe that is what Sakurai wants in a successor.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
This short topic of other CastleVania characters is pretty interesting as most third party franchises have an obvious next character, like, nobody's gonna suggest a Mega Man character who isn't Zero, Chun Li gets brought up constantly, people like Raiden now, etc. The only franchises where this doesn't apply are DQ, FF, Persona and Sonic
I don’t know if you saw, but I was just talking about wanting Pharaoh Man earlier today 😎.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess so, but the moment dlc ends discussion will just be of the next game. That's mostly gonna consist of character discussion, which isn't much different from now, Smash isn't a story, it's a fighter. Nothing is gonna really end except for Ultimate's support.
Oh I don't doubt it.

But that'll be one book closed, and another opened. Truthfully, once Ultimate's DLC ends, I don't really plan to stick around.

D

Deleted member

Basically like an early access demo to spread awareness about a game and get public input regarding it's online features etc.
Ah ok I’m dumb. I thought it had to be online multiplayer like Overwatch so my mind blanked when you mentioned Three Houses & for some reason I thought you meant Ys IX so I was even more confused. Just checked Falcom’s Twitter and it is Ys VIII, probably just to get some eyeballs on the series before IX comes to Switch in a month and a half.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm playing a dangerous game saying this, but James Bond is the one, one fourth-party character I think would be a solid addition to the roster who you could make a good case for. Goldeneye is extremely important. So long as you kept the inspiration/references to being from the N64 game specifically, I honestly wouldn't mind.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Oh I don't doubt it.

But that'll be one book closed, and another opened. Truthfully, once Ultimate's DLC ends, I don't really plan to stick around.
Yeah, I don't plan on joining Smash 6 speculation (after Ultimate's finished, that is) until Smash 6 were to be announced (and probably has enough info revealed), either.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I can imagine he will have strict requirements for someone to become his successor.
Turns out they get Beavis and Butt-head themselves to direct the next Smash Bros

"Hehehehehehehehehe. Hey Butt-head. We need another FIRE Pokemon hehehehe. FIRE FIRE!"

"Uhhhh... huh huh huh. Ok. Huh huh huh."

"YEAH hehehehehehehe FIRE FIRE! NOW WE ADD KING BOB-OMB hehehehehehe KERPLEWWWWWWWWWWW FIRE FIRE hehehehehehe"

"Whoa huh huh huh settle down Beavis. I got an idea. Huh huh huh. Let's add Reznor. Huh huh huh that'd be cool huh huh"

"Umm... you mean like, Trent Reznor?"

"No, buttmunch! I mean like the dinosaur. You know... from.. uhhh... Mario World? Huh huh huh"

"Ohhhh yeah hehehehehe he spits FIRE! That makes him COOL hehehehehehehe. Now let's add Lara Croft hehehehehehehe"

"Uhhhh.. yeah... like... Heyyyyyy baby. Come to Butt-head huh huh huh huh"

"Yeah heheheheh AND WE'LL GET OZZY TO DO THE THEME SONG HEHEHEHEHE THAT'D RULE!"

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Turns out they get Beavis and Butt-head themselves to direct the next Smash Bros

"Hehehehehehehehehe. Hey Butt-head. We need another FIRE Pokemon hehehehe. FIRE FIRE!"

"YEAH hehehehehehehe FIRE FIRE! NOW WE ADD KING BOB-OMB hehehehehehe KERPLEWWWWWWWWWWW FIRE FIRE hehehehehehe"

"Whoa huh huh huh settle down Beavis. I got an idea. Huh huh huh. Let's add Reznor. Huh huh huh that'd be cool huh huh"

"No, buttmunch! I mean like the dinosaur. You know... from.. uhhh... Mario World? Huh huh huh"

"Ohhhh yeah hehehehehe he spits FIRE! That makes him COOL hehehehehehehe. Now let's add Lara Croft hehehehehehehe"

"Yeah heheheheh AND WE'LL GET OZZY TO DO THE THEME SONG HEHEHEHEHE THAT'D RULE!"
Can't get any worse than that, can it?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean...nobody's forcing anyone to focus purely on Smash speculation. You can do other things and just tune in when announcements occur. If you're that burned out why not shift your focus elsewhere? Other games in the genre have been going on just as long, if not longer, yet I've never seen anyone complain about it other than with Smash.
Since you said other games in the genre, I have a theory to why Smash as this sort of conundrum

-Smash has a much bigger install base than other Fighting games. It's easier to get more hardcore speculators from the 20 Million that bought the game than Sub 10 mil that other Fighting games have

-Being a Crossover game, especially nowadays with many characters from other parties, there's many characters and things that could be speculated about when it comes to Smash. With other games like FighterZ, Tekken, Street Fighter, the roster is mostly limited to the characters from that franchise, so it narrows down the options to talk about (Tekken has guest fighters, but they stopped happening after Season 2)

-The Rampant nature of Rumors/Leaks/Theories juices up the discussion in the speculation community, so there's usually something new to talk about, even if fake. Other Fighting games do have this, but they are Nowhere near as frantic as it can be for Smash. There's less of Rumors/Leaks nowdays during this speculation cycle, and notice how when there's less of those, there's less discussion being around Smash

-The Advertisement for Smash is unlike most of what I've seen from other Fighting games. For Base game, There was usually something new to look forward to everyday, (well not counting the Weekend). these could just be new pics of the game or some actual news, but it would keep people on the edge of their seats and such. Other Fighting games usually show something new like every month or 2, and then just disappear.

Along with that, Smash 4 and onwards, the Trailers became a large spectacle you don't usually see from Fighting game trailers. Usually Fighting game trailers usually only use Ingame footage, they showcase the moveset, the render, and that's that.

Smash uses these high quality produced trailers, usually involving CGI, to show off their characters. It's just something you usually don't see often, and combine this with the fact that the So many options for what the trailer could be for, considering it is a Crossover fighter, and with each reveal, people are most especially gonna be paying attention and are going to be on a large High from the trailer. It's not just the surprise of who the character is, but also that the surprise itself looks so Epic and awesome and such.

And the final aspect of the advertisement is the presentations we started getting since Smash 4. These presentations, especially during Base game, would show off New info on large parts of the game, and it's exciting to behold. They've also are a large part of the reason that the fanbase has such an attachment to Sakurai, since with these presentations, we get to See Sakurai in his glory (of his public persona at least). Most other fighting games just show off their trailers and that's that. Trailers are cool, but a whole presentation on some of the things coming to the game is tenfold compared to a trailer. Even with the DLC Presentations, there's usually something new to see we didn't see in the trailer, like the Mii Costumes, the amount of music, and other miscellaneous things, beside the moveset

So all of this combines to form a big attachment to the hype cycle of Ultimate for some people, where they can't get enough and Smash consumes a large part of their mind. even if they only play the game for like an hour or less, or with the DLC character for 5 minutes, the High from the trailer + the presentation is one that people like to chase.

The one fighting game most similar to Smash in terms of speculation is Mortal Kombat. That does have some dedicated speculation community and alot of hte time has had alot or Rumor/Leaks popping up. I will say that in comparison to Smash, some aspects of Mortal Kombat speculation fall short. There's not news everyday like there is with Smash (base game), The trailers are usually just Gameplay footage when it comes to the Characters, I think the Presentations for Smash tend to be more concise and straight to the point compared to NRS, and Sakurai seems to carry himself better as a persona than the NRS Members, There are guest fighters, but I don't think it branches up to the amount of options Smash does, and Mortal Kombat doesn't have as high sales numbers as Smash does, even though it's also sells above the average of other Fighting games, even getting past 10 Million

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm playing a dangerous game saying this, but James Bond is the one, one fourth-party character I think would be a solid addition to the roster who you could make a good case for. Goldeneye is extremely important. So long as you kept inspiration to the game specifically, I honestly wouldn't mind.
Yeah, I remember advocating for ol' Jimmy getting into Smash. He's got good history with Nintendo games.

Ivander

Smash Legend
No need, the Sorrow duology has 3 songs if we count Heart of Fire content, OoE has a mere 3 songs, the 3D games have next to nothing at all, SotN and Portrait of Ruin are the only ones where you could pretend to have an issue with content
Sorrow has 4 if we count Heart of Fire. If not, then Sorrow has Ruined Castle Corridor, Pitch-Black Incursion and Crash in the Dark Night. And before you say Ruined Castle Corridor was Lament of Innocence first, Aria of Sorrow came out in May 2003 while Lament of Innocence came out in October 2003.

Sadly, OoE only has 2 songs rather than 3, being Twilight Stigmata/An Empty Tome and Jet-Black Wings. And yeah, aside from Lament of Innocence, the other 3D games were ignored.....which is sad cause Curse of Darkness had great music and Judgement had the amazing The Wolf Revealed track for 64.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

"Uh, hey Butt-Head, who was that chick with the boobs that Soccer guy didn't put in?

"Uhhhh......May? Uhuhuhuhuhuh"

"Heh yeah let's put her in yeah heh heh"

"Uhuhuhuhuhuh, yeah, boobs are cool, uhuhuhuhuhuhuh"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sorrow has 4 if we count Heart of Fire. If not, then Sorrow has Ruined Castle Corridor, Pitch-Black Incursion and Crash in the Dark Night. And before you say Ruined Castle Corridor was Lament of Innocence first, Aria of Sorrow came out in May 2003 while Lament of Innocence came out in October 2003.

Sadly, OoE only has 2 songs rather than 3, being Twilight Stigmata/An Empty Tome and Jet-Black Wings. And yeah, aside from Lament of Innocence, the other 3D games were ignored.....which is sad cause Curse of Darkness had great music and Judgement had the amazing The Wolf Revealed track for 64.
Damn, forgot about Crash in the Dark Knight, probably because I don't like the HoD version they used. As for OoE, I'm still in denial we didn't get Order of the Demon

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm the one who asked about there ya dingus. Though I'm talking about how if someone asked what the most realistic choice is for another Mega Man character, only a handful of people would think of anyone other than Zero
Lol yeah I know I was just teasing. Zero would be awesome too and is probably the most likely but I would love to see Bass.EXE as well. Dr. Wily would have been a strong possibility if not for being an assist trophy. X and Sigma might have a chance too.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm playing a dangerous game saying this, but James Bond is the one, one fourth-party character I think would be a solid addition to the roster who you could make a good case for. Goldeneye is extremely important. So long as you kept the inspiration/references to being from the N64 game specifically, I honestly wouldn't mind.
Allow me to introduce you to someone who is the main protagonist of the spiritual successor to the Goldeneye game.

Sgt. Cortez! Time to Split!

Yo we splittin over here.gif

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
How much longer until he enters the Public Domain? If you think about it, it's just a waiting game at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom