• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Monkey's Paw

Sakurai promotes an Assist Trophy

Monkey's Paw curls

It's Andross
They don't shrink him
Weird question, but how does Andross go from Monkey head to Robot head? are they the same thing or is one like a copy or something

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Super Monkey Ball isn't listed either but we know a new game is coming this year. Its just examples.
I doubt SEGA is done with either them.
You're right, although it does kinda play into my worries about Puyo regarding Smash that SEGA wouldn't see it as a relevant enough series to list among their "globally recognized" active IPs (nor Sakura Wars, worth noting as well). I mean, it's probably not worth reading into that hard because... yeah, Monkey Ball isn't here either, but it's kind of a chilling reminder that Puyo is sort of on the fringe there. Worth noting that Super Monkey Ball, on the flipside, is heavily western skewed last I checked.

Eh, we'll see what happens I guess. But Sega not acknowledging their second-biggest franchise is a bit of an unfortunate omission that has me overthinking things way too much right now. Certainly Puyo is nowhere near over so not much to be concerned about on that front.

On the other hand though, there's really no reason to remaster or remake any Puyo games so in context I suppose it's not really an important thing to acknowledge anyway. Although I'd definitely appreciate an eventual compilation of some of the unlocalized titles. It's odd though because I would assume Monkey Ball of all franchises who just got a remake / remaster and has effectively a "reboot" on the horizon would be something of particular note here.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Weird question, but how does Andross go from Monkey head to Robot head? are they the same thing or is one like a copy or something
Iirc, SF64 is a retelling of Star Fox on the NES.

So Machine Head Andross isn't really his canon design anymore, it's the big monkey head.

Which, if you think about it, SF on the NES, SF64, and Star Fox Zero are effectively the same story.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I was looking at the roster today and we really need some more super fat memeable meaty heavyweights, I'd kill to see one in FP2. Any suggestions?

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
The robot head came first, and they seem to be treated as the same thing with graphical enhancements. The SNES one is used in Smash because nostalgia (and maybe framerate). I don't think there's any answer for how he became a giant head in general other than "evil scientific experiments"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Is this strictly about their E3 Plans, or is there anything else that this statement could mean?
It was in relation to speculating when we'd hear more from Nintendo and Microsoft regarding detailing their E3 plans. Don't take it to mean anything past that.

I was looking at the roster today and we really need some more super fat memeable meaty heavyweights, I'd kill to see one in FP2. Any suggestions?
Isn't it crazy we didn't get any super heavyweights from between Dedede to K. Rool? Guess no one else was worthy to take the crown lol

TheBeastHimself

I'd also love a Friday Night Funkin song in Smash. A pipe dream, but hey, I wasn't expecting to see Sans and Megalovania when Undertale first release. Crazier things have happened.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Which, if you think about it, SF on the NES, SF64, and Star Fox Zero are effectively the same story.
Not even just "if you think about it". That's literally the case.

1. King Hippo
2. King Hippo
3. King Hippo
4. SV-001 Metal Slug
5. King Hippo

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
You're right, although it does kinda play into my worries about Puyo regarding Smash that SEGA wouldn't see it as a relevant enough series to list among their "globally recognized" active IPs (nor Sakura Wars, worth noting as well). I mean, it's probably not worth reading into that hard because... yeah, Monkey Ball isn't here either, but it's kind of a chilling reminder that Puyo is sort of on the fringe there. Worth noting that Super Monkey Ball, on the flipside, is heavily western skewed last I checked.

Eh, we'll see what happens I guess. But Sega not acknowledging their second-biggest franchise is a bit of an unfortunate omission that has me overthinking things way too much right now. Certainly Puyo is nowhere near over so not much to be concerned about on that front.

On the other hand though, there's really no reason to remaster or remake any Puyo games so in context I suppose it's not really an important thing to acknowledge anyway. Although I'd definitely appreciate an eventual compilation of some of the unlocalized titles. It's odd though because I would assume Monkey Ball of all franchises who just got a remake / remaster and has effectively a "reboot" on the horizon would be something of particular note here.
Puyo Puyo is always going to be niche just by gameplay alone.
Understandable why they wouldn't globalize it compared to something much easier to appeal to westerners with like Yakuza or PSO. Its cutesy art style will continue to sell well with women in japan and their will still be hardcore players, but i doubt its ever going to reach global popularity.

Than only thing I think SEGA could do is try putting the characters in another genre or make a anime.

TheBeastHimself

Low-hanging "Sakurai adds M.I.L.F. into Smash" joke aside, which track would be the most likely in that case?
Personally, I can't get over the image of Ganondorf and Sans Mii fighting with Ugh in the background.

I'm listening to it now LOL imagine you're in the final match of an intense EVO tournament with Ugh playing in the background of the stage lmaooo

osby

Smash Obsessed
Personally, I can't get over the image of Ganondorf and Sans Mii fighting with Ugh in the background.

I'm listening to it now LOL imagine you're in the final match of an intense EVO tournament with Ugh playing in the background of the stage lmaooo
EVO Grand Finals playlist:
Ugh
Mass Destruction
Megalovania
One Winged Angel
Ring a Ding

Hell, put Arknights in Smash and you can even have official Starset music.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
EVO Grand Finals playlist:
Ugh
Mass Destruction
Megalovania
One Winged Angel
Ring a Ding

Hell, put Arknights in Smash and you can even have official Starset music.
The day Starset is in Smash is the day I ascend. It may require dragging everyone down with me in my planned descent into gacha hell, but it's %$#@ing Starset. Worth it all the way.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So Famicom Detective Club's remakes are out now, I'll be honest, it's weird that we're going to enter an era where Ayumi support can come from genuine love of the character snd games instead of "Well Sakurai said", like how we'd always get new Pokemon and Fire Emblem support threads made on the day of a character's announcement, not out of genuine interest but rather "If this happens people are gonna say I'm soooo smart for calling it".

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Also, this exists now:

That's how Kiryu can win. By gaining the supports of cereal mascot fans.
quackamitai

There's also Beat and Ryo ducks btw so that's epic

osby

Smash Obsessed
quackamitai

There's also Beat and Ryo ducks btw so that's epic
SEGA lists Jet Set Radio among series they consider bringing back.
Beat is the only one among these three who didn't get a new game recently.

1620979571885.png

Time to read too much into possibly meaningless news and get hyped beyond reason.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
SEGA lists Jet Set Radio among series they consider bringing back.
Beat is the only one among these three who didn't get a new game recently.

View attachment 315128

Time to read too much into possibly meaningless news and get hyped beyond reason.
Honestly I don't really need JSR3, just give me JSRF HD and I'll be set.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
Really excited for E3 next month, I can't get it out of my mind tbh.

I might as well say that I want one of the last 2 characters to be Tails, but to be frank, I don't know who to expect at this point, there's so many possibilities that could happen that it's hard to say who is "likely", I dunno.
I'm ok with anyone as I was from the very beginning of Ultimate, the only time where I was been disappointed with Smash reveals was :ultcorrin: in Smash 4, because while I was excited for Fire Emblem Fates at the time, the game wasn't even out in the US and I wanted to play the game and know about the characters before they actually got into Smash, this is was pretty much why I was happy with :ultbyleth:.

Back to the subject of E3, while Nintendo and Microsoft still haven't announced their plans, I think it's because the ESA, the people who run E3, are is holding them back, I think they'll reveal the plans when registration for the event opens.

Actually, Jeff Grubb, an insider for the gaming industry, said this on ResetEra on a thread about their E3 plans:
1620979438401.png

Shroob

Sup?
I may sound like an old grump for saying this, but assuming FP2 is the end, I think my excitement stems most from seeing the pass end more than anything at this point, lol.

Between Ultimate's release and the end of FP1, I was riding on a Smash high, with us getting new characters 2-3 months apart from one another, 5 characters in a single year was honestly something I hadn't felt since Smash 4, and unlike Smash 4, the DLC was spaced out better as to not have long, dead periods.

Then 2020 happened and everything just kinda went on full stop due to 'rona. The fact that between Byleth to Min Min was a six month gap, it's understandable as to why it happened, but that gap really put the brakes on my own hype train. It was completely out of the hands of the devs, of course, but going from 5 characters in a year, to 4, with a huge gap at the start, definitely left its mark.

Considering I've always been happy with the base game, and view the DLC as a nice bonus on top of a good roster, at this point, I'm basically seeing it through to the end. I'll definitely be losing my mind no matter who it is come E3, but I feel like, if FP2 is the end, I'm kinda glad it is.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they can give BotW2 center stage and toss in one more notable reveal (preferably Mario Kart), then I think I'll be set.

Not really concerned about the next character reveal compared to the bigger stuff. I mean, obviously I'm curious, but I think deep down I already know my reaction to F10 probably won't be me jumping up and down from excitement.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hey

At least we

Got a trailer for it.

Same can't be said of MP4/Bayo 3.
Yes, but unlike those 2 those aren't promised to release this year and in MP4's case is explicitly so early in development they're still hiring. The concerning bit is that a game that is supposed to come out within this year has virtually no information on it so either it's got news at E3 and they're finally starting its hype cycle... or it's delayed.

A game announced at the Switch reveal event... delayed even further.
pain.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom