• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Sir, this is an excuse to hide from the truth: That Smash fans want to learn nothing from the fact that Nintendo thought:
  • A franchise owned by a company with much, much bigger and more active IPs
  • A first-party that took longer to join the battle than Corrin and Byleth did
  • A first-party that took longer to join the battle than Corrin and Byleth did...again
Were all just as worthy of DLC as Ryu, Cloud, and Steve.
I wasn’t around here at the time, but cmon man Smash fandom is like any fandom - it is made up of many different people with many different opinions. I’m sure you felt vindicated when Banjo was revealed but I’m sure plenty of people thought Banjo still had a shot over Steve.

But at the end of the day, Banjo’s inclusion into Smash was largely driven by fan demand. Only Geno and Isaac remain for characters whose merits are mostly based on similar fan demand, but they have always had much less than Banjo ever did. Assuming bigger characters will get in isn’t always correct (and Terry getting in over a Tekken character is another and probably better example of this) but it’s still a pretty safe bet.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
SKX31 SKX31 when that exact hypothetical scenario actually happens
View attachment 314729
No, him popping off about Dota 2 is just that scene with Thanos getting the Gauntlet.

This one is when a Dota 2 character gets into Smash and, whoever they are, Sakurai makes sure they follow Dota's "everyone is OP so no one is" balancing to a tic. :4pacman:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anybody have guesses at the potential spirit event for tonight? Probably another tourney, but maybe.
Idk why but I think we will tonight

say, just to be clear they usually permanently add Event Spirits to the rotation before a new character reveal right?

Pillow

Smash Lord
No, him popping off about Dota 2 is just that scene with Thanos getting the Gauntlet.

This one is when a Dota 2 character gets into Smash and, whoever they are, Sakurai makes sure they follow Dota's "everyone is OP so no one is" balancing to a tic. :4pacman:
If we get a DoTA character it had to be Skywrath Mage so we can get his taunt

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Sakurai: Now, you might be concerned that by following Dota 2's balance philosophy in the creation of this fighter that they might be... overpowering. You don't need to worry though, to ensure that this fighter plays in a balanced manner, we've collaborated with Icefrog to bring every fighter in the roster up to their level. You haven't experienced true fear until you've encountered Icefrog's finest creation. In other words, the brand new Incineroar.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wasn’t around here at the time, but cmon man Smash fandom is like any fandom - it is made up of many different people with many different opinions.
That doesn't mean those opinions are all equally heard. What's dominant are the opinions of those who've learned nothing from the fact that it took seven challenger packs to get a third-party that's huge around the entire world, that we've gotten DLC first-parties that didn't join the battle as quickly as Corrin and Byleth, and that Smash's later reveals always have a different feeling from the earlier ones.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
T
So apparently there was an interview with Gabe Newell, and he said that steam might be expanding to consoles. The recording wasn't very audible to me, and I can't find a full interview, so I can't really confirm anything, but it got me thinking. What would happen to future Smash speculation if one day Steam and its entire library of games was suddenly available on Switch?
And keep in mind this wouldn't just be Valve games like Half-Life and Dota 2, this would also include the myriad of games available on Steam but not on Switch.
The Valve wars break out, with Heavy fans and Freeman fans fighting with ferociously not seen since the Brave war.

Meanwhile, I stand on the side rooting for Chell

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So it’s been a while since I’ve checked things out here; anything noteworthy to discuss, or are things still quiet on the Western front?
Yeah, nothing new. Well, I did make a thread for discussing characters people feel should get more attention, but that's more of a response to the growing monotony of speculation than something actually new. We're still working out the kinks, but please come down here every so often to nominate a character or learn more about the ones being discussed. Granted, our first batch does have some fairly well-discussed characters, so...

Yeah, this is blatant self-advertising

cashregister9

Smash Hero
So apparently there was an interview with Gabe Newell, and he said that steam might be expanding to consoles. The recording wasn't very audible to me, and I can't find a full interview, so I can't really confirm anything, but it got me thinking. What would happen to future Smash speculation if one day Steam and its entire library of games was suddenly available on Switch?
And keep in mind this wouldn't just be Valve games like Half-Life and Dota 2, this would also include the myriad of games available on Steam but not on Switch.

Here is the clip

A Valve rep is a pipe-dream and if it does happen I will ascend.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Here is the clip

tbh with all the ports that filled the eighth-gen consoles' libraries I'm surprised they haven't tried porting their games to the PS4/Xbone sooner

at least they could've asked some other company to help give PS4 players a chance to play Half-Life if Valve wanted to continue being too busy with projects that go nowhere

Eldrake

Smash Lord

Here is the clip

thanks for the clip friend
gman thumbs up.jpg

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That would mean the original Binding of Isaac game would be playable on Switch, making Isaac even more guaranteed!

That’d be nice to see, though it’d probably be like how XBox does its XCloud thing, maybe. I wonder if I’d be able to play the PC version of Terraria on Switch, though it’d likely just use the console version, maybe...

If we get a Valve character, Chell or Heavy would be cool.

SKX31

Smash Master
Gordon Freeman would immediately shoot up in discussion, and would gain more support as a result of him seeming more possible. TF2 might get some more discussion as well, but it seems like Freeman is considered the frontrunner for Valve.

There'd certainly be some debates on whether or not Steam counts as a "true" appearance, since the developers might not have any interactions with Nintendo. Sorta like how we can't seem to decide on what the Touhou fangames mean for Reimu. On that note, debates on Reimu are gonna get even muddier, since a large portion of Touhou is on Steam already.

Also SKX31 SKX31 will get free reign over popping the %$#@ off about Dota 2 and that is a powerful scenario indeed.
SKX31 SKX31 when that exact hypothetical scenario actually happens

If we get a DoTA character it had to be Skywrath Mage so we can get his taunt
Wait, guys, don't expose my evil plan! I wanted that game to come out of nowhere and давай (Davai) its way into FP2 without anyone else anticipating it! Damn, I popped off a bit too many times. :4pacman:

Still, the Smash community is not ready for the "Ё! А? А? Что?!" and the "Что это?! Какая жесть!" (translations in the article)

(And would you really want to see Skywrath's overly long taunt spammed? Thankfully not in Quickplay, but elsewhere.)

This reminds me all too well of that one project of being able to play PC games on your console from a long time ago and everybody was making a big deal about playing Half-life 2 on the Wii U or Switch. What was it again? Project Rain-something? Rainway?

But still, should this actually come to pass and come to the Switch, this would be frickin' huge since the biggest strength the Switch has is portability and controls compared to phones and whatnot.
Here is the clip

Hell, I'd pop off if Steam came over to consoles in any form - including Nintendo consoles. Worth remembering that Volvo did try with the Steam Machine, but the Machine didn't take off at all, so if Valve indeed decided to port over Steam it might be an attempt to remedy that honestly.

"End of the year" doesn't sound like E3 to me - and there's the possibility that Valve Time (TM) delays things - but it sounds feasible that they could do it by year's end.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Exactly, which means that the E3 reveal could be "hype", but leaning more towards the hype of :ultridley::ultbanjokazooie:, rather than :4megaman::4ryu:.
Who is there that’s similar to Ridley & Banjo now though? The only one I could think of is Waluigi, but he’d have to climb out of Assist Trophy hell to do that. It’s possible but I’m not sure if it’s likely.

Maybe Rayman? He was a lot more popular during the Smash 4 days. But maybe that was enough for Nintendo to finally go after him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I keep tellin y’all

it’s gonna be a Hero & Banjo 2.0 aka dual East & West appeal

and that’s why I’m calling Reimu & LoL

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Who is there that’s similar to Ridley & Banjo now though? The only one I could think of is Waluigi, but he’d have to climb out of Assist Trophy hell to do that. It’s possible but I’m not sure if it’s likely.

Maybe Rayman? He was a lot more popular during the Smash 4 days. But maybe that was enough for Nintendo to finally go after him.
Rayman seems decently popular, but not to Banjo's earthshattering levels. I think the problem is that all the "obvious" popular characters like Banjo and Isaac are either fighters or considered deconfirmed by many, so they either have their stories over or a lot of people don't think they'll get a happy ending. As such, it becomes kinda tricky to try and think up characters who fit that criteria.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sol Badguy and Adol Christin would make sense as dual E3 reveals.
Not that I'd complain with these 2 reveals. In fact I'd be very pleased but I don't think there's any timeline where Sol Badguy and Adol Christin, of all the characters, are both revealed at the same time during a E3 Direct lol

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
You're michaelol aren't you?
Yeah god forbid trying to break you out of fantasy land by telling you that more than one person in the world cares about a Super Mario character of all things, clearly I’m just a notoriously rampant fanboy and not a realist. Grow up.

I really can’t wrap my head around why the hatred toward this particular character runs so rampant. Is it really one single person that ruined it for everyone? That’s really sad - coming from someone who doesn’t care much about Daisy one way or the other btw.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Technically yes, but there's the issue with the fact that he has to fill out a challenger pack. And no, I don't think they'll cover the spirits/music part of the pack with just random Waluigi renders and Waluigi Pinball remixes in every musical genre. It'd have to be someone more challenger-pack friendly.

xzx

Smash Lord
I think Eggman has a pretty good chance considering the "hero vs. villain" theme, which Sephiroth has demonstrated well imo.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
the "hero vs. villain" theme
Why would we never get a villain as DLC until Sephiroth if they wanted to do "heroes vs. villains" this whole time? (inb4 someone calls Byleth a villain because...you know)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
For the first one, Octoling or Elma
For the second one, either Reimu, KOS-MOS, LoL or Neku

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

ZelDan

Smash Master
Well, if we are thinking about who could always be another "Banjo"-esque pick, then I gotta bring up my boi Isaac. If the Smash ballot exit polls and generous amount of GS content already in Smash is anything to go by, Isaac likely performed pretty damn well on the Smash 4 ballot, which is a major reason why Banjo got in Smash Ultimate DLC in the first place.

I also don't believe ATs disconfirm, so I don't exactly see him as an impossibilty either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah god forbid trying to break you out of fantasy land by telling you that more than one person in the world cares about a Super Mario character of all things, clearly I’m just a notoriously rampant fanboy and not a realist. Grow up.

I really can’t wrap my head around why the hatred toward this particular character runs so rampant. Is it really one single person that ruined it for everyone? That’s really sad - coming from someone who doesn’t care much about Daisy one way or the other btw.
I never once said or even hinted that I hated the character. All I said was that Daisy was in no way on the same level of 'mass appeal' as Steve or Sephiroth, which is already so ludicrous its hilarious, but the fact that you went as far as to call her 'more iconic than 90% of the cast' shows that you are clearly a tad obsessed.

Listen man, she's a videogame character, take it easy and go outside. It'll be OK.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
generous amount of GS content already in Smash is anything to go by
Ironically it's the content that isn't in that makes me think Isaac has a chance. Namely, there's enough GS content not in the game for a challenger pack-no fighter, no stage, no music that made its Smash debut in Ultimate, and no spirits of anyone who isn't a protagonist/party member in GS1.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Daisy is necessarily one of the most popular characters to ever exist or anything like that, but that said, I'm pretty sure she has a really huge and notable following all the same.

Wasn't the reason she was added as an echo in the first place was because of her popularity?
She's by no means unpopular, but to place her in the upper echelons of 'icon' status is pretty extreme; that's literally all I was saying.

Stratos

Smash Ace
I want to hope that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is not the last game of the series because there are so many characters that could come as newcomers.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I never once said or even hinted that I hated the character. All I said was that Daisy was in no way on the same level of 'mass appeal' as Steve or Sephiroth, which is already so ludicrous its hilarious, but the fact that you went as far as to call her 'more iconic than 90% of the cast' shows that you are clearly a tad obsessed.

Listen man, she's a videogame character, take it easy and go outside. It'll be OK.
I mean, being a mainstay of Mario Kart and Mario Party does tend to get a character into a pretty high echelon among video game characters. It's the reason why Waluigi was also very popular in requests. Especially considering there are multiple Mario Kart games in the list of best selling games of all time.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I want to hope that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is not the last game of the series because there are so many characters that could come as newcomers.
Of course it's not going to be. And not because attempting to talk about characters I'm more interested in will result in "STFU about them until next game".

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
For the first one, Octoling or Elma
For the second one, either Reimu, KOS-MOS, LoL or Neku

With fighter: Another Sonic character. Amy, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Tails, Blaze, etc.

Not yet: Hehehehehehe. Y'all thought it was gonna be Ryu Hayabusa. It's not. Guy deconfirmed it. Turns out all along, it was a ninja illusion all along! You were hunting for a Hayabusa, when you SHOULD have been hunting for a Kasumi instead! You were hunting for one ninja when a completely different ninja burst out of nowhere and kicked you in the head.

EsHzBxJXAAkHYvt.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom