• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EternalFlameGuy

Smash Cadet
Which character would be the party crasher if he/she appear at E3 2021 as Challnger 10 instead of the more speculated ones? (and 11 if double reveal happens)
Rayman. I feel like everyone assumed he'd be coming back when we got those costumes for the Rabbid and Altair/Assassin's Creed. It'll have been well over a year since then by the time of E3, so most will likely have forgotten about it, but it would definitely fit this scenario.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Playing for the underdog characters for a bit. Which character would be the party crasher if he/she appear at E3 2021 as Challnger 10 instead of the more speculated ones? (and 11 if double reveal happens)
Reimu. Aside from the fact that all these endless debates we've had about if she's possible or not would finally have a proper answer instead of just not turning up - Which would still drag on the debates, as there would be arguments that she was just outprioritized - There's also the fact that people have written off region-centric characters like her on the basis that Hero was an exception/Still had more Western presence than her, and indies on the basis that all the other major options like Sans and Shovel Knight didn't become playable. Her being at E3 would definitely cause some commotion.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reimu. Aside from the fact that all these endless debates we've had about if she's possible or not would finally have a proper answer instead of just not turning up - Which would still drag on the debates, as there would be arguments that she was just outprioritized - There's also the fact that people have written off region-centric characters like her on the basis that Hero was an exception/Still had more Western presence than her, and indies on the basis that all the other major options like Sans and Shovel Knight didn't become playable. Her being at E3 would definitely cause some commotion.
Plus, Japan saw the Hero reveal right? Reimu would be a repeat of Hero where it’s like “whomst” in the west but “HOLY **** AAAAAAAAA” in Japan

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Plus, Japan saw the Hero reveal right? Reimu would be a repeat of Hero where it’s like “whomst” in the west but “HOLY **** AAAAAAAAA” in Japan
So what you're saying is that we'll have some other character that's deemed the Western equivalent? And it's Scorpion?

SKX31

Smash Master
Playing for the underdog characters for a bit. Which character would be the party crasher if he/she appear at E3 2021 as Challnger 10 instead of the more speculated ones? (and 11 if double reveal happens)
My most wanted - as unlikely as it is - would be a massive party crasher since it's practically unknown amongst the Nintendo audience, obscure in Japan and not the preferred Valve pick amongst most Smash fans by a longshot. Me though? I'd be just yelling "давай давай давай давай давай давай"* and generally going nuts.

Out of the more likely characters, I'm tempted to say Reimu as well, but I'm gonna go with Chief or LoL. Both Western-created, certainly known in Japan but not super-enormous there, both considered iconic within their respective genres and would be stirring tons of discussions - both positive and negative - over the fact that an FPS or MOBA representative got through.

KOS MOS is up there since her hypotheoretical inclusion - yes it's ****ing unlikely but still - would come right off the heels of Pyra / Mythra's inclusion.

*"DAVAI DAVAI" a really complicated Russian word, but usually means "Come on!" or "Lets go!".

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My most wanted - as unlikely as it is - would be a massive party crasher since it's practically unknown amongst the Nintendo audience, obscure in Japan and not the preferred Valve pick amongst most Smash fans by a longshot. Me though? I'd be just yelling "давай давай давай давай давай давай"* and generally going nuts.

Out of the more likely characters, I'm tempted to say Reimu as well, but I'm gonna go with Chief or LoL. Both Western-created, certainly known in Japan but not super-enormous, both considered iconic within their respective genres and would be stirring tons of discussions - both positive and negative - over the fact that an FPS or MOBA representative got through.

KOS MOS is up there since her hypotheoretical inclusion - yes it's ****ing unlikely but still - would come right off the heels of Pyra / Mythra's inclusion.

*"DAVAI DAVAI" a really complicated Russian word, but usually means "Come on!" or "Lets go!".
Bro you can even swap out KOS-MOS for Elma and everyone would be like “BRO FR?? TWO XENOBLADES IN THE SAME PASS IS THIS THE NEW FIRE EMBLEM???” And I’d be like “LET’S ****ING GOOOOOOO”

...immediately followed by me googling nuclear fallout shelters and hiding there for a whole month

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I've already made my case for this character a few times, but Chosen Undead from Dark Souls. Partially bias, partially not

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Normally I'd say Sgt. Cortez but I gotta spice it up a little.

How about Rikiya Busujima from Zombie Revenge as our Sega rep? This dude performs leglocks on freaking zombies.

Busujima.jpg

Last edited:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
If she were to get in, it'd be very interesting to see how people may react to her inclusion. I am still on the belieg that region-centric characters is not a bad thing and it adds an international flair to Smash. She is still my #1 Most Wanted but E3 would feel a bit weird if only because I don't remember anything Touhou related shown during E3. Still would make some interesting talk, though.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What if it turns out that "Bonus fighter" (assuming it's real) is actually a second rep for a new series that follows directly after the first's reveal?

What other examples could work for that?
My wishlist has a bunch of dual character reveals in it, but, to be honest, I think most of them make more sense as alts than as echoes/clones.

Characters like Bill Rizer/Lance Bean, Kunio/Riki, Bub/Bob, Captain Toad/Toadette, Rash/Zitz, Goemon/Ebisumaru and Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee all play EXACTLY the same as their partner in their original games.

A couple of them, like Kunio/Riki and Rash/Zitz get some differences added later on that would make them good echoes. But most of them have no moveset differences at all.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Normally I'd say Sgt. Cortez but I gotta spice it up a little.

How about Rikiya Busujima from Zombie Revenge as our Sega rep? This dude performs leglocks on freaking zombies.

View attachment 314441
Busujima would be ****ing incredible

Like he's obscure as hell but he might actually be my favorite HotD protagonist. Most of the series' protags, while not generic per se, do kinda essentially boil down to Regular Person With Gun. And then there's this ************ over here who just....look at him. He stands out so much and I love him for it.

Also SEGA seem to have a thing for him, for some reason. Like, he got to be the main HotD rep in Project X Zone and when they were pumping out all the 60th anniversary stuff, he showed up a lot. Guess they just have good taste

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If she were to get in, it'd be very interesting to see how people may react to her inclusion. I am still on the belieg that region-centric characters is not a bad thing and it adds an international flair to Smash. She is still my #1 Most Wanted but E3 would feel a bit weird if only because I don't remember anything Touhou related shown during E3. Still would make some interesting talk, though.
There'd certainly be a lot of interesting reactions. There'd definitely be some salt this late in the pass, plus the "But anime bad" stigma. On the other hand, the unique status of the franchise, which is sure to be highlighted in her presentation, plus the possibilities of shoot-em-up/bullet hell mechanics and talismans, would grab the interests of some. I think she'd be closest to Terry's reveal, exchanging immediate global recognizability for the legacy and unique mechanics.

That, and many people rapidly aging as the likes of Bad Apple and Ronald McDonald Insanity awaken from their slumber within their minds and they start flashing back to the 2000's.

Technomage

Smash Champion
You mean unlikely characters? If so, then an Etrian Odyssey character would fit that criteria quite well (I'd personally prefer the Imperial class).

Another character who'd fit that bill would be Morty Maxwell from SuperSolvers (and yes, he counts as a game character). Here's some info on the SuperSolvers series (particularly its most well-known entry, Gizmos & Gadgets):

Last edited:

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
Oh, I didn't notice that part; though I did some more rechecking, and discovered that your original question did NOT specify 2d fighting games.
I know I didn't say that, but I did say Fighting Games.

Ryu Hayabusa originated from a series of sidescrolling (NES) and eventually third-person action games, which, are not fighting games.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Are people sick of me constantly linking videos from Brawl Mods? I feel like I do it very frequently, and I never get much of a response when i do.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Are people sick of me constantly linking videos from Brawl Mods? I feel like I do it very frequently, and I never get much of a response when i do.
No, I think it's just that most people are just used to leaving a like and that's it. Force of habit rather than an active dislike, or at least, that's what I think. At the very least, I don't have an issue with it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
No, I think it's just that most people are just used to leaving a like and that's it. Force of habit rather than an active dislike, or at least, that's what I think. At the very least, I don't have an issue with it.
Yeah, that happens a lot. When I post a ****post it's fine that i don't get a response, but when it's a more serious matter (like a moveset idea) I get upset when nobody responds. And honestly, part of it is my fault, because I never respond to someone else's moveset.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
I know don't feed the trolls and all that, but I'm going to blatantly take the bait this account is generously providing and respond anyways.

Smash speculation is a lot like politics, in that there are two groups of people who have specific yet different expectations from the conversation:
1. Those who want to talk about new and pre-existing ideas with an open yet critically focused mind.
2. Those who have already made up their minds and are now looking for validation from others.

The latter expectation is a pretty poor fit for this thread in particular. We're speculating. We're deliberately being critical of any potential characteristics that may help or harm a character getting into Smash in an effort to gauge who could get in, who could not get in, and who's likely to get in. Are we right most of the time? No, but course-correcting and developing new theories in response to unexpected results are one of the most enjoyable parts of speculation and we do occasionally get something right, so the party continues.

In this thread, I'd much rather give my honest thoughts on a character and back it up with some reasoning and an "I'd love to be wrong though!" than string someone along and give them false hope. I think a lot of people assume that, if you don't think a character has a great chance at getting into Smash, it's born out of some greater dislike for the character and serves as an attempt to bring them and their fans down a peg. That's really not true at all. The number of characters who could be great in Smash will always be greater than the number of characters who could be practicably included in any Smash game, so some deserving candidates are going to be left out.

I get it can be very frustrating to see a character you like not do well in the speculation thread, but there's really no malice behind anything anyone's saying. If you're not willing or are unable to accept that someone may put forth an argument that doesn't conclude with "your favorite character will 100%, no questions asked, be in Smash", then this probably isn't the thread for you. There are so many avenues both on this website and the internet as a whole where you can just talk about how great a character's hypothetical inclusion would be, this just isn't one of them.
Tbh I found completely no appeal with Rayman as a character even though he is ahemm "iconic." I would take Reimu over Rayman any day.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Tbh I found completely no appeal with Rayman as a character even though he is ahemm "iconic." I would take Reimu over Rayman any day.
Tbh, you can't really call Rayman "iconic" anyway, he doesn't really contribute much in the world of platformer outside of legacy and the game's content being put in Smash but I'm probably wrong, the Rabbids is probably more iconic than him.

SKX31

Smash Master
They could use her Honor of Kings design it’d lead to less boob pendulum too due to them, you know, being better supported
For reference, link to how said design looks in that game (Mandarin, with English subtitles).

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that it's that tame, since alternate costumes in that game range from "completely normal" to "super-fanservicy" to "WTF". For example, Honor of Kings pulled a Rule 63 on Jing Ke (a warrior and retainer who lived in the 200s BC, he tried to assassinate the first Chinese emperor Qin Shi Huang after Qin had conquered the state Jing served) and gave him / her a... I have no clue how to describe that alternate costume. (The article acts like it's the character's main outfit, which it isn't, but still).

Tbh, you can't really call Rayman "iconic" anyway, he doesn't really contribute much in the world of platformer outside of legacy and the game's content being put in Smash but I'm probably wrong, the Rabbids is probably more iconic than him.
He's in a weird spot where he had a really strong start - Rayman 1 sold really good on the PS1 (4 million, just underneath Spyro 1 and DQ VII) and Rayman 2 got ported to every single system imaginable. Rayman 3 is where the series started to slow down, although it's with Raving Rabbids that Ubisoft's focus shifted away from Rayman. Sure, Origins and Legends were successful, but by that point Ubisoft had begun to focus more on Rabbids.

But him never managing to land a solid foothold in Japan is an issue, especially considering that Smash dev team is Japanese. We've had characters that are obscure in Japan (:4littlemac: ) so not saying it's impossible, but it's still an important aspect to note in this context.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I wish I could find a way to make it have some conspiracy strings that lead to Dragalia Lost in Smash is why they increased the font size of their logo
I mean, I saw someone joke the reason why they made it bigger is because Uma Musume Pretty Derby is such a "big" deal (cue laugh track). Maybe we can do something similar?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
i wouldnt really care tbh. they can get in, i get it, gachas a big thing
I just don't get why everyone thought Gacha is permitted from Smash, I mean you got the game for free so naturally there's got to be something that they can charge, the devs need to eat too you know.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just don't get why everyone thought Gacha is permitted from Smash, I mean you got the game for free so naturally there's got to be something that they can charge, the devs need to eat too you know.
they probably think it has something to do with gambling laws i guess moreso than just biased disgust for the genre

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
they probably think it has something to do with gambling laws i guess moreso than just biased disgust for the genre
Or it could be because things like microtransactions could easily end up a slippery slope?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think it's a mix of distaste for the genre, EU gambling laws interfering with the gacha game that's talked about for Smash the most, and gachas being a mostly mobile-based genre, and mobile games are usually overlooked and/or not ported to consoles that often.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Or it could be because things like microtransactions could easily end up a slippery slope?
Because having a Granblue character in Smash would infect the game like a virus and make everything in the game a microtransaction, right? :191:

Explains why the FGC for Granblue Fantasy is dead. They must've had their wallets stripped clean after pulling infinites that costs 5 dollars per extra hit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom