• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
My theory is that they and/or Nintendo think the miscellaneous smaller representation spread throughout the game like the Galaxian and 1-UP Flag are sufficient representation rather than a second fighter. Even then, seeing as we've gotten third reps for companies like with Richter, Joker, and Sephiroth, it's still odd that they haven't gone to get another fighter.
This could be a good explanation if they don't get a second fighter. Bandai Namco isn't the only third party with items, but I still think it's important to note. I still have hope though

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Nintendo and Sakurai just see things on a per series basis instead of a per company basis, so why Namco hasn't gotten another character is a question born out of a method they don't practice. They don't add characters to fill a company quota, so parity isn't probable when they focus on the characters/series themselves. If it happens, it happens as a side-effect.

If, for example, you didn't know who owned what and you just went for who you thought was worthwhile, chances are your selection would be imbalanced as well. It's the same kind of deal when ownership isn't the priority.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes base roster third party newcomers have items added from their series. Pac-Man and Castlevania are some examples.

Pupp135

Smash Lord
It makes me wonder why we haven't gotten a second Namco rep yet. Either due to Namco not sure who to pick, Sakurai priotizing other devs over them, or Namco intentionally not letting a second rep get in as to not seem biased here.
I’m assuming that the main reason that we don’t have another Namco fighter is because Nintendo/Sakurai have their interest in other companies’ characters. I’m mainly saying this becuase I saw a thing where Namco is open to more Namco fighters but wants Nintendo/Sakurai to go up to them first if a new fighter was to be added. Also, I think that it is important to note that Heihachi was considered before, but Sakurai did not how to make his moveset faithful.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Choosing characters based on how many reps their company has on the roster is a poor base for decisions anyway. I really don't care if Sega, SE, or Microsoft continued to get characters so long as those characters had the recognition and moveset potential to justify their inclusion. Seems better than the alternative where one company starts to go dry and we resort to adding C-listers just because we have to be fair.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Alright, with the steam successfully blown off, let's start up a new discussion. Something like... Hmm...

Good idea. Alright, let's talk about cooking-related fighters. Who could fit the criteria, what could they do, and how can they make us crave various foods?
Obviously, Yuri Lowell.

Ever since Yuri ate the awful foods made by his best friend Flynn, he decides to learn cooking and be in charge of making foods every single day during his life at the capital.

This is how Yuri has great cooking expertise, and the one who introduce the cooking mechanic and teaches the first recipe in the game, a sandwich.

It doesn't stop there, if Yuri master the art of making croquettes, he will reveal his secret ingredient for all his foods making which is love by the way.

Yuri is so good at cooking, that he been offer the position of a imperial chef.

Also, looking at the recipes list, Yuri is the only one who is very good at making any kind of sweet foods; Sorbet, Pudding, Cake, Crepe, and Fruit Parfait. Since sweets were often associated with the rich, he came to crave and love sweets and actually learns to make one himself despite his poor background.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Choosing characters based on how many reps their company has on the roster is a poor base for decisions anyway. I really don't care if Sega, SE, or Microsoft continued to get characters so long as those characters had the recognition and moveset potential to justify their inclusion. Seems better than the alternative where one company starts to go dry and we resort to adding C-listers just because we have to be fair.
Agreed. And if this means Capcom has 4x as many characters as any company but Nintendo, then so be it!

Ornl

Smash Ace
Smash is no longer a factory to distribute gifts to third-party friendly companies. So Capcom, Koei Tecmo, Level-5, Marvellous, Nihon Falcom, Sega and Namco don't all get a (new) rep. Given the trends, I think Atlus, Square Enix and Microsoft were great new companies to look to.

Below, examples of trends according to Famitsu readers indicate how important Atlus and Squenix are.
Top by Famitsu readers / number of times the companies appear
Top 10 by consoles, 2016*

Square Enix 42 · Sega 29 · Capcom 19 · Bandai Namco 12 · Konami 11 · Atlus 10 · Sony 8 · Microsoft 7 · Nihon Falcom 4 · Koei Tecmo 3
Top 100 of all time, 2017*

Square Enix 29 · Sega 18 · Atlus 6 · Konami 7 · Spike Chunsoft 7 · Capcom 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Team Ico 2 · Bandai Namco 0
Various top 20 by genres (Action-Adventure° + Adventure° + Action° + Fighting° + Racing° + RPG° + Shooters° + Simulation°), 2017

Square Enix 21 · Capcom 20 · Sega 16 · Konami 10 · Sony 10 · Spike Chunsoft 6 · Bandai Namco 5 · Arc System Works 3 · Atlus 3 · Koei Tecmo 3 · FromSoftware 2 · SNK 2
Top 20 of all time by non-japanese readers, 2017*

Square Enix 4 · Atlus 3 · Capcom 3 · Konami 3 · FromSoftware 2 · Koei Tecmo 1 · Sega 1
Top 20 of Heisei Era, 2019*

Square Enix 10 · Capcom 2 · Konami 2
Top 5 of Songs, 2019*

Square Enix 4 (Chrono 2, Final Fantasy 2) · Capcom (Okami) 1
ALL

Final Fantasy 41 (Final Fantasy VII 6) · Dragon Quest 22 · Megami Tensei (5) + Persona (14) 19 · Metal Gear 16 · Sakura Wars 12 · Monster Hunter 11 · Drakengard / NieR 9 · Resident Evil 9 · Yakuza 8 · Chrono 7 · Kingdom Hearts 6 · Street Fighter 6 · Ace Attorney 5 · Okami 5 · Shenmue 5 · Sonic the Hedgehog 5 · SaGa 5 · Xenogears 4 (Xenosaga 0) · Mega Man 3 · Suikoden 3 · Souls 3 · Bayonetta 2 · Mana 2 · Soul 2 · Tales 2 · Devil May Cry 1 · Tekken 1 · Castlevania 0 (like Metroid) · Pac-Man 0

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I like how we discuss that there's no need of a limit to how many character a 3rd party company can have and then not too long after someone pull out a freaking chart and says to look out for Atlus and SE getting more just because their RPG is selling really hot.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Isaac (from The Binding of Isaac) was in a fighting game with Quote, Shovel Knight, and “anime” girls, and it plus his game is on Switch, so, as any Smash fan would know, that clearly means he’s gonna be in Smash so he can defeat Galeem and Dharkon with his weaponized eye fluids.

Seriously though, I think Isaac would be cool. Also Golden Sun Isaac. What if we got both Isaacs back to back as the last characters? :o

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Alright, fine. If my previous post came across as aggressive, I apologize.

However, if you believe this type of behavior - the sort displayed in your original message as well as its followup - is not aggressive, I have to disagree.
But my behavior wasn't aggressive. It's quite revealing that at the slight hint of criticism and blame, people get so riled up and end up replying like that. There was a clear issue of perception from "outsiders" brought by other users, I volunteered my perception as an explanation since I'm not a regular, and I become the reason people don't post? I didn't name or even point at anybody. But that would be easy: just look at the people liking your message and we can already draw a map of the different groups and clicks around here. Because it's not the general user that gets offended by this, as most understand the point and move on, but it's always the same few that end up being rather aggressive themselves. And then you have a few users like Neon who actually took it seriously and wrote comprehensive pieces on the topic.

My point stays though. For an insider, maybe this thread is meant to be about general talk. But that's not the title. The title says speculation. People coming in would want to speculate, or like me, catch up on news and hints that might reveal the next fighter through said speculation. Discussing tastes is not speculation. But as a semi-outsider, as someone who can't really find a home for Smash related discussions, I think this topic needs changes because it is not what it claims to be.

As for games, it's simple: it doesn't even bring discussion. It's just a flood of messages with people making lists that are rightly ignored afterwards. And therefore it hides the messages with actual content that were actually bringing interesting points/ideas to the thread... Again, nothing wrong with enjoying the games, I just think they need their own place.

And to bring back moderation, it's super weird to me that behaviors like this are supported, when double posting is the worst offense in the world. Even when the two posts are unrelated and took considerable time to write. That's the greatest offense on here, but those flaming and aggressive comments barely get looked at? It's a weird philosophy, and I say that coming from tons of other forums and online communities... Some have said that moderation in the past was too harsh, but clearly there's now an issue where a lot of outsiders think this place and the Smash fandom are toxic, so that's plenty evidence to start thinking/discussing the issue.

And a little parallel: if moderators do read this, remember that moderation fatigue is a thing everywhere, and to keep board cleanliness, you might want to consider hiring new blood, whoever that is!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If Smash was to see another Fighting Game character as DLC in Smash Ultimate, who would you want? I would want:
Out of left field, but I’d have to say a fighter from Skullgirls. Predominantly because it’s the only original fighting game I’ve ever gotten crazy into (licensed games like DB FighterZ don’t count).

D

Deleted member

But my behavior wasn't aggressive. It's quite revealing that at the slight hint of criticism and blame, people get so riled up and end up replying like that. There was a clear issue of perception from "outsiders" brought by other users, I volunteered my perception as an explanation since I'm not a regular, and I become the reason people don't post? I didn't name or even point at anybody. But that would be easy: just look at the people liking your message and we can already draw a map of the different groups and clicks around here. Because it's not the general user that gets offended by this, as most understand the point and move on, but it's always the same few that end up being rather aggressive themselves. And then you have a few users like Neon who actually took it seriously and wrote comprehensive pieces on the topic.

My point stays though. For an insider, maybe this thread is meant to be about general talk. But that's not the title. The title says speculation. People coming in would want to speculate, or like me, catch up on news and hints that might reveal the next fighter through said speculation. Discussing tastes is not speculation. But as a semi-outsider, as someone who can't really find a home for Smash related discussions, I think this topic needs changes because it is not what it claims to be.

As for games, it's simple: it doesn't even bring discussion. It's just a flood of messages with people making lists that are rightly ignored afterwards. And therefore it hides the messages with actual content that were actually bringing interesting points/ideas to the thread... Again, nothing wrong with enjoying the games, I just think they need their own place.

And to bring back moderation, it's super weird to me that behaviors like this are supported, when double posting is the worst offense in the world. Even when the two posts are unrelated and took considerable time to write. That's the greatest offense on here, but those flaming and aggressive comments barely get looked at? It's a weird philosophy, and I say that coming from tons of other forums and online communities... Some have said that moderation in the past was too harsh, but clearly there's now an issue where a lot of outsiders think this place and the Smash fandom are toxic, so that's plenty evidence to start thinking/discussing the issue.

And a little parallel: if moderators do read this, remember that moderation fatigue is a thing everywhere, and to keep board cleanliness, you might want to consider hiring new blood, whoever that is!
I’ll try replying to this since I’ve shared some of these sentiments for a while now. Speculation on this thread has fell off over the course of Ultimate’s cycle, but that’s to be expected as conversation topics repeat endlessly and character deconfirmations remove what discussion points there even are to talk about. It’s a big reason why I’ve posted less in this thread in recent times. There’s only so many ways to throw around the most likely handful of characters before getting burnt out.

As for the tone of your first message, it would’ve been perfectly acceptable if not for this sentence:

Instead, it's a lot of arrogant people using their post counts as indication they know better, pulling "facts" out of their bums, and then posting "games" in a thread that shouldn't have any.
It’s just a touch rude to call this thread “a lot of arrogant people”. I’m not sure exactly what you meant by the post count flaunting since I’ve personally never seen it. Forum games going in their own thread is something I’d like to see as well; they do clog pages while scrolling but the social aspect is fun enough to get caught up in from time to time.

From an “insider’s” perspective though, a lot of the problems you’ve laid out are a product of this thread becoming the de facto general gaming discussion on the site. People here want to talk about Smash and how their favorite games deserve a spot in the roster, and as discussion droughts get longer the percentage of posts here are going to fill up with more socializing than speculation, for lack of a better word. From what I’m gathering what you want is for this thread to be more strictly moderated and geared solely towards speculation, while a different general games & smash social thread is created/redirected to in order to fill the void that would otherwise be left. And honestly I’ve felt the same way before, and wouldn’t mind the change if it was handled well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Smash was to see another Fighting Game character as DLC in Smash Ultimate, who would you want? I would want:
Not sure how many people would be thrilled by it but I'd love to see Akira Yuki from Virtua Fighter making the jump to being a playable fighter.

You probably wouldn't even need to change a thing about his AT, it's already different enough from non-polygonal Akira.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I feel that forum games have a decent chance of bringing about new discussions or insights in a speculation phase that is otherwise widely considered to be drawn out and repetitive.

But it’s a paradox. On one hand, there are people that say the general Smash speculation discusses too little characters and they’re right. As seen by the outliers and surprises and the general account of there being a lot of video game characters and angles, there’s always more to discuss. However, I also agree with the people that say Smash speculation cannot account for all characters; I found it to be unfair for example, when the Aegis girls were touted as being out of left field when the possibility of a Xenoblade 2 character was very much discussed. And, and this is only tangentially related to the point at hand, but for every Sepiroth, there’s a Steve. For every Greninja, there’s a Little Mac. Smash speculation gets things wrong, but despite the arguably correct accusation that Smash speculation casts it net too small, a lot of the newcomers were at least in the collective conciousness of the speculator.

Overall, this meta-look at Smash speculation is a new phenomenon, but I believe and hope that it merely says out loud what a lot have been thinking: that Smash speculation has been drawn out and highly cyclic on most occassions.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
This thread is starting to slow down right now, so I'm gonna propose a new question: Of the 3rd-parties that already have a character in the roster, assuming any of them would get another character, what would each of their candidates be?

My theories:
Konami: Theoretical next fighter would likely be Bill Rizer, with Lance Bean as an alternate costume.
SEGA: Either Arle Nadja or a second Sonic character (most likely Dr. Eggman).
Capcom: Possible candidates are Chun-Li, Dante, Phoenix Wright, Morrigan Aensland
Namco-Bandai: Probably either Yuri Lowell, Velvet Crowe, Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Agumon, Solaire, or the Chosen Undead.
Square Enix: Possible candidates include YoRHa 2B, Sora, Neku Sakuraba, and Lara Croft
Microsoft: The most likely would most definitely be Master Chief, and other candidates include Fulgore and the Battletoads.
SNK: Since Terry Bogard and the rest of his Pass's content pretty much reps the entire SNK company pretty well, the only thing that seems lacking would be more Metal Slug content, which in my opinion, makes Marco Rossi the most likely 2nd SNK rep.
Here's what I've got in mind...
Konami: Since Hehachi's limited to only a cameo appearance in one of PAC-Man's taunts, probably Bill Rizer or Jin Kazama.
SEGA: Much like with what everyone else has in mind, Arle or a second Sonic rep, though an oddball like Phantom R couldn't hurt.
Capcom: Pretty much anyone they have, though my personal picks are Sakura, Mega Man Zero, and Lilith Aensland (the already censored version of Morrigan, and I recapped on why Lilith would fit in Smash here).
Bandai Namco: What Technomage said, but with Sora excluded. It's not that I hate Sora, but I - just in my opinion - think there's a high chance Sora won't make it as DLC.
Microsoft: Master Chief easily. I watched my dad play Halo Reach on the Xbox 360 when I was a youngster, so I have quite the history with Halo games.
SNK: Since we've already got Terry, who's pretty much the face of both SNK and Fatal Fury, I'd say we could probably fit Nakoruru and her dark side - Rera - as a Pyra and Mythra type of character. Sure, Nakoruru's a Mii Costume and a spirit, but putting her in KOF 14 put SNK out of bankruptcy. Other possible picks would include Rock Howard, who was pretty much Capcom fans' introduction to the world of SNK during 2001, and do I even NEED to explain the ultimate duo that is K' and Kula Diamond? These were probably the biggest and - no pun intended - coolest SNK characters at the start of the 21st century, and they have been in literally ZERO CROSSOVERS with other franchises.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's what I've got in mind...
Konami: Since Hehachi's limited to only a cameo appearance in one of PAC-Man's taunts, probably Bill Rizer or Jin Kazama.
SEGA: Much like with what everyone else has in mind, Arle or a second Sonic rep, though an oddball like Phantom R couldn't hurt.
Capcom: Pretty much anyone they have, though my personal picks are Sakura, Mega Man Zero, and Lilith Aensland (the already censored version of Morrigan, and I recapped on why Lilith would fit in Smash here).
Bandai Namco: What Technomage said, but with Sora excluded. It's not that I hate Sora, but I - just in my opinion - think there's a high chance Sora won't make it as DLC.
Microsoft: Master Chief easily. I watched my dad play Halo Reach on the Xbox 360 when I was a youngster, so I have quite the history with Halo games.
SNK: Since we've already got Terry, who's pretty much the face of both SNK and Fatal Fury, I'd say we could probably fit Nakoruru and her dark side - Rera - as a Pyra and Mythra type of character. Sure, Nakoruru's a Mii Costume and a spirit, but putting her in KOF 14 put SNK out of bankruptcy. Other possible picks would include Rock Howard, who was pretty much Capcom fans' introduction to the world of SNK during 2001, and do I even NEED to explain the ultimate duo that is K' and Kula Diamond? These were probably the biggest and - no pun intended - coolest SNK characters at the start of the 21st century, and they have been in literally ZERO CROSSOVERS with other franchises.
Uh.. sora isn’t Bandai Namco

Gengar84

Smash Hero
My top three I would love to see are Fulgore, Sub-Zero, and Nightmare but Sol is cool too and I’d still be happy if he made it.

If we’re being less realistic, I think Hisako, Vega, Astaroth, and Susanoo would all be awesome as well but I don’t see any of them ever happening.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So on the Reimu thread it's been brought to my attention that the guy who runs the Rayman for Smash Twitter has been checking in on us, and uh...
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Seems like there's some disagreements.

I can understand the first and second points, but when you start off your post with "Wow, look at all these delusional people," it doesn't give a good impression. Especially when you go out of your way to take a potshot at someone and say "My character is more iconic than yours;" Aside from the fact that "iconic" is a really subjective and hard-to-measure category, it just makes you come off as petty and spiteful.

I suppose I should've seen this coming from %$#@ing Twitter, but I can't say I'm not more than a little miffed. Maybe I assumed managing a fairly large thing like this would make you more level-headed? But ultimately, I suppose Twitter is just inherently laced with toxicity and a complete lack of respect for differing opinions. Beliefs on certain characters aside, though, I think we can all agree that this kind of behavior just makes you a jerk.

Sorry for dragging Twitter's %$#@ into here, but I kinda needed to blow off steam. If there's a moral here, I'd say it's "Stay off of Twitter Dot Com and don't act like this guy."

Also the fact that this is the second time I've seen arguments of iconicity regarding Reimu and Rayman specifically and it's kinda funny that it's happened twice.
I know don't feed the trolls and all that, but I'm going to blatantly take the bait this account is generously providing and respond anyways.

Smash speculation is a lot like politics, in that there are two groups of people who have specific yet different expectations from the conversation:
1. Those who want to talk about new and pre-existing ideas with an open yet critically focused mind.
2. Those who have already made up their minds and are now looking for validation from others.

The latter expectation is a pretty poor fit for this thread in particular. We're speculating. We're deliberately being critical of any potential characteristics that may help or harm a character getting into Smash in an effort to gauge who could get in, who could not get in, and who's likely to get in. Are we right most of the time? No, but course-correcting and developing new theories in response to unexpected results are one of the most enjoyable parts of speculation and we do occasionally get something right, so the party continues.

In this thread, I'd much rather give my honest thoughts on a character and back it up with some reasoning and an "I'd love to be wrong though!" than string someone along and give them false hope. I think a lot of people assume that, if you don't think a character has a great chance at getting into Smash, it's born out of some greater dislike for the character and serves as an attempt to bring them and their fans down a peg. That's really not true at all. The number of characters who could be great in Smash will always be greater than the number of characters who could be practicably included in any Smash game, so some deserving candidates are going to be left out.

I get it can be very frustrating to see a character you like not do well in the speculation thread, but there's really no malice behind anything anyone's saying. If you're not willing or are unable to accept that someone may put forth an argument that doesn't conclude with "your favorite character will 100%, no questions asked, be in Smash", then this probably isn't the thread for you. There are so many avenues both on this website and the internet as a whole where you can just talk about how great a character's hypothetical inclusion would be, this just isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Toys for Bob Creative producer, Lou Studdert shared his thoughts about Crash in Smash.
I wonder what would happen if one day in bizarro world, someone will ask this waste of a question in an interview and we get a character directly confirmed like that before their official reveal.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

NinJeds

Smash Rookie

Toys for Bob Creative producer, Lou Studdert shared his thoughts about Crash in Smash.
If anything this means that if Crash is in, his representation won’t be based off of Crash 4 cause that would require communication with TFB.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If anything this means that if Crash is in, his representation won’t be based off of Crash 4 cause that would require communication with TFB.
Well, not really, no; just TFB doesn't have proper influence on Crash's chances doesn't mean there can't at least be content from Crash 4.

SKX31

Smash Master
That does beg the question if A-B execs see things the way Ubisoft execs do in regards to Smash, (where they presumably wanted Rayman in, but in Ubisoft's case Rayman's been seemingly stuck in limbo for 6ish years now) or if they are less enthusiastic. At least without assurance that they'll get an longlasting money-maker on the Switch to go alongside the Crash negotiations (considering how A-B heads think, it's not out of the realm of possibility).

Also worth noting: while the five year plan thingy - if true - is in character for A-B execs (especially Kotick), they're also known to do total 180s whenever PR appears to be completely against them (Infinite Warfare, CTR, the Blitzchung debacle to a lesser extent).

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400

Someone would like to see his/her character in smash? What a twist. And it's the same answer every time.

When exactly did it become standard to ask absolutely every developer about Smash?

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

I bet these interviewer is on the bandwagon and just slip in "Hey, do you want them to be in Smash?" question, imagine doing that for every long running game with new installment recently been released that feels like a nuisance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom