• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, it’s kinda logic, if they were gonna be playable they wouldn’t become a post-release patched in Spirit first
Yeah, pretty much this. There's reasoning to it; All the Spirits have been chosen with the fighters of that wave in mind - That is, the base game, and the two Fighter's Passes. The thought process is that if they had a fighter later, they wouldn't have a Spirit now, so if there's a Spirit it's an indication they're not in this wave.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Yeah, pretty much this. There's reasoning to it; All the Spirits have been chosen with the fighters of that wave in mind - That is, the base game, and the two Fighter's Passes. The thought process is that if they had a fighter later, they wouldn't have a Spirit now, so if there's a Spirit it's an indication they're not coming later.
Three Houses also got no spirit event before Byleth was announced despite having enough characters that both a spirit event and a separate spirit board could be made.

Technomage

Smash Champion
People don’t care about real life animals having no clothes to begin with so it’s not as if fictional animals would be treated differently. :ultduckhunt: has no clothes and no one cares.
Hell, Smash even has Krystal not wear any panties at all (though it does help that she has Barbie Doll anatomy and her pelvic region is covered in fur). XD

This exactly. That's why Mai couldn't work.
Um, I think it's more like Sakurai didn't want to bother with creating a more kid-friendly costume for a mere background character (since he did put in the same effort for the likes of Bayo and Pythra).

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
A character from another fighting game I think it would be a good choice and I refer to Ragna the Bloodedge, the protagonist of the BlazBlue series.
I’m down for that. I’ve never played Blazblue but Ragna is cool and I like Patrick Seitz. I love Hakumen and Susanoo’s designs so I’d be hyped for either of them too.

SKX31

Smash Master
How come MK ain't well liked in Japan?
Japan isn’t very fond of extreme graphic violence apparently
And they probably do not release the future generations of MK there but I'm not sure.

That is not a good answer in my eyes when mangas / animes like Fist of the North Star and Berserk are very gory - especially in Berserk's case. Berserk's protagonist Guts would fit extremely well in a MK game, lets just say that.

I'm willing to say instead:

A) Lack of advertising and having more competitors during the initial period in the early 90s. Contrast Street Fighter and KOF, for instance.

B) (IIRC) A prevailing view within Japan - especially with more conservative people - that video games should be family-oriented and anything more mature than say 17 is shunted hard into the adult corner. Which does limit how much they can advertise etc. I'm not entirely confident that this is indeed the case, so I'm asking Ayumi Tachibana for verification.

C) A rating board that is much more proactive than the ESRB when it comes to ratings - CERO's standards is something that Resident Evil and the Last of Us has followed, after all, with both removing some gore in their Japanese versions. And conversely, MK's developers probably don't want to release a gore-less MK. So it's an standstill on that front.

As such, there's been a lack of Japanese MK localizations and no releases from 9 Trilogy, (thanks G Guynamednelson ) onwards - from a Japanese POV they're still available on Steam, but with no Japanese localization.

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some hope that since Banjo and Kazooie came as newcomers in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, to come and Conker Squirrel from the Conker Series because Banzo and Conker did their debut at Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
lack of Japanese MK localizations and no releases from 9 onwards
Trilogy was the last MK released there, actually.

I wonder if things like Raiden being pronounced like "Ray-den" also affected its status?

Pillow

Smash Lord
That is not a good answer in my eyes when mangas / animes like Fist of the North Star and Berserk are very gory - especially in Berserk's case. Berserk's protagonist Guts would fit extremely well in a MK game, lets just say that.

I'm willing to say instead:

A) Lack of advertising and having more competitors during the initial period in the early 90s. Contrast Street Fighter and KOF, for instance.

B) (IIRC) A prevailing view within Japan - especially with more conservative people - that video games should be family-oriented and anything more mature than say 17 is shunted hard into the adult corner. Which does limit how much they can advertise etc. I'm not entirely confident that this is indeed the case, so I'm asking Ayumi Tachibana for verification.

C) A rating board that is much more proactive than the ESRB when it comes to ratings - CERO's standards is something that Resident Evil and the Last of Us has followed, after all, with both removing some gore in their Japanese versions. And conversely, MK's developers probably don't want to release a gore-less MK. So it's an standstill on that front.

As such, there's been a lack of Japanese MK localizations and no releases from 9 Trilogy, (thanks G Guynamednelson ) onwards - from a Japanese POV they're still available on Steam, but with no Japanese localization.
You kinda nailed it with the first paragraph though. MK is literally just not anime enough.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
is not a good answer in my eyes when mangas / animes like Fist of the North Star and Berserk are very gory - especially in Berserk's case. Berserk's protagonist Guts would fit extremely well in a MK game, lets just say that
Those franchises have stylized gore, absolutely disgusting but clearly not realistic, MK, especially recently with 11, tends to go for more realistic gore, which Japan doesn't like as much, I believe God of War got censored in Japan for the same reason

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's the empty version. I assume Galeem released Porky after turning the ASC into a spirit instead. If it had Porky inside,, it would say
Absolutely Safe Capsule(Porky)
In this hypothetical, Sakurai's team both made sure to get the exact ASC sprite needed to optimally hint at a character two and a half years from release, and goofed up and picked a fan sprite for the Masked Man, who is equally relevant to M3.

SKX31

Smash Master
You kinda nailed it with the first paragraph though. MK is literally just not anime enough.
Those franchises have stylized gore, absolutely disgusting but clearly not realistic, MK, especially recently with 11, tends to go for more realistic gore, which Japan doesn't like as much, I believe God of War got censored in Japan for the same reason
Ah yes, which brings me to my solution: A Mortal Kombat anime. With Norio Wakamoto as Shao Khan.

WB, please do it. :roll:

Trending....

:4pacman:

I'm taking this as an excuse to post this to fit with the meme - whether it all comes together or not:

Last edited:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some hope that since Banjo and Kazooie came as newcomers in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, to come and Conker Squirrel from the Conker Series because Banzo and Conker did their debut at Diddy Kong Racing.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ah yes, which brings me to my solution: A Mortal Kombat anime. With Norio Wakamoto as Shao Khan.

WB, please do it. :roll:

:4pacman:

I'm taking this as an excuse to post this to fit with the meme - whether it all comes together or not:

Getting an anime doesn't really matter in terms of Smash popularity in Japan though. Netherrealms would literally have to switch the games themselves to have an anime / JRPG artstyle because the game appearance is how they'd show up in Smash :x

An anime sounds kinda fun if they go full camp and focus on the tournament thing. Something like Kengan Asura but with more mystical powers. I just recently saw the new movie and thought it was awful despite some people trying to defend it.

Stratos

Smash Ace
Why have you posted that twice?
Because the first time I had made the mistake of publishing without writing anything, then I wrote it and because I thought it would not see it anyone for this reason I wrote it a second time.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In this hypothetical, Sakurai's team both made sure to get the exact ASC sprite needed to optimally hint at a character two and a half years from release, and goofed up and picked a fan sprite for the Masked Man, who is equally relevant to M3.
"hey, can we use this sprite for the absolutely safe capsule?"
"no, it must not deconfirm porky for a dlc pass that would feature spirits getting promoted anyway, use the empty capsule"
"hey can i use this masked man sprite i found on google?"
"sure whatever"

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What would you change then?
Well, everything, considering I made my own moveset for him.

I've got a few minor criticisms:
-styles changing Dante's properties which isn't how they work.
-ftilt sharing animations with jab, which is really weird.
-using Ifrit with DMC3 Dante when Beowulf is right there.
-pulling out Artemis for just one move making it stand out from the rest of the moveset.
-Gunslinger Side B not actually doing any move, just acting as a charge for other moves.
-Trickster Dash isn't included with the Trickster style change
-Doesn't have Round Trip, a really iconic move

And as a tiiiiiiiiny nitpick, he calls it "High Tide" when it's "High Time"

As for everything else, it's "not personally what I would do" but none of it's wrong, just a different interpretation of the character which I'm not personally big on.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Each special button is tied to a style and changes his moveset

I... already don't like it lol.
Haven't watched the video, but I figured it might be something like this.

I dunno - I've never played Devil May Cry, so maybe Dante really warrants this sort of thing. I mean, this is a real mechanic in Devil May Cry, (low bar, I know, but most examples I've seen are under it) but in general I find stance switching, style switching, weapon switching, and character switching way way way overdone in fan movesets. Not that I'm not guilty of this myself - my rework of Samus in the SSB Infinite thread let her switch beams - but it just feels like oftentimes that step one of making a moveset is letting them switch weapons or duct-taping them to another character.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Honestly, I would be delighted if Conker entered the roster, especially if he has dialogue and moves that make me laugh (though the profanity and toilet humor would have to be filtered for Conker to make it in).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As much as I like Conker and while it would be really cool to have him join Banjo-Kazooie and have a "Diddy Kong Racing" reunion, I really doubt that'll happen.

If we do end up getting another Microsoft rep then most would likely agree it's gonna be "Master Chief" (Mr. Xbox) who I would be really cool with by the way.

Which is why if we do happen to end up getting another "Platforming Mascot" I personally would rather take my chances with someone like "Crash Bandicoot'.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Haven't watched the video, but I figured it might be something like this.

I dunno - I've never played Devil May Cry, so maybe Dante really warrants this sort of thing. I mean, this is a real mechanic in Devil May Cry, (low bar, I know, but most examples I've seen are under it) but in general I find stance switching, style switching, weapon switching, and character switching way way way overdone in fan movesets. Not that I'm not guilty of this myself - my rework of Samus in the SSB Infinite thread let her switch beams - but it just feels like oftentimes that step one of making a moveset is letting them switch weapons or duct-taping them to another character.
Well as I've said, it's not incorrect or misrepresentative to give him "style switching" as that is a mechanic that is in the game.

My personal gripe with it is that it's not an entire moveset overhaul like so many people make it out to be, it's one button that's instantly swapped back and forth between to do different moves. There's no transformation of shifting in Dante, all of the styles as a whole make up Dante, which is why games like Marvel just give him access to most of the moves he has as a whole instead of locking them behind an arbitrary stance he has to position to first.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Things I know won’t happen but I’d like:

Yes I’d love it if the “bonus fighter” was a secret echo pass with 3+ echoes.

I’d also love it of the bonus fighter was just three new types of mii fighter (with 12 moves each, choose your four per mii) and a bunch of costumes.
I'd honestly like the second possibility more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom