• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've been thinking about Reimu for a while and watching Dark Phoenix in MvC3 gave me an idea. For those who don't know, one of the big buffs Dark Phoenix gets is that her normals fire off projectiles making her moves stronger and safer, what if Reimu used a similar idea so that whenever she used her normals, she'd shoot a small, weak and short to mid distance projectile. It'd have no hit stun and deal chip damage at most but Reimu'd be able to fill the screen with projectiles like this, if this is a passive ability she'd always have then her normals can be balanced around that by making them weak too and if it's an install or something, then that ability will have cooldown to balance it out. The issue people have with zoners is an inability to get in, so I'm curious of the inherent dynamic of "You can get in, but you'll take a chunk of damage" at play here
Not the same thing, but this is kinda what Bayo already can do with her Bullet Arts, right?

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
How bout they give Reimu the rng move of having a 1/50 chance to dodge a fatal attack.

osby

Smash Obsessed
How bout they give Reimu the rng move of having a 1/50 chance to dodge a fatal attack.
I think it would be a little wonky if nothing because there's no sure way of saying what's a fatal attack in Smash.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So, what are we thinking? One reveal at E3, or both at E3?

Personally, based on past precedent I'm inclined to think that we'll get the double reveal that's oh so associated with E3. I'm not gonna lie it's crazy to think that we're possibly coming up on the end of Smash Ultimate so quickly when I feel like there's so many possibilities still being tossed around. Crash, Reimu, Chun-Li, Kiryu, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, and so many more are possibilities that seem like they could happen in Ultimate and only 2 of them are going to make it... at most. Two of them, one of them, or none of them are all possibilities to be the very last stop on this wild ride and that's kinda lamenting to think about. What a weird feeling.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Personally, based on past precedent I'm inclined to think that we'll get the double reveal that's oh so associated with E3. I'm not gonna lie it's crazy to think that we're possibly coming up on the end of Smash Ultimate so quickly when I feel like there's so many possibilities still being tossed around. Crash, Reimu, Chun-Li, Kiryu, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, Master Chief, and so many more are possibilities that seem like they could happen in Ultimate and only 2 of them are going to make it... at most. Two of them, one of them, or none of them are all possibilities to be the very last stop on this wild ride and that's kinda lamenting to think about. What a weird feeling.
No reveal at E3. Instead we're getting a Smash Direct next week so E3 can have more time to show off Ring Fit Adventure 2.

Pillow

Smash Lord

My brain says double reveal at E3, but my heart says surprise character drop this week with final reveal at E3.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

My issue is that it can go both ways, E3 usually has 2 characters but last year had a gap between 2 characters with the implications we really were only getting Min Min for that period last year, there's also how Nintendo likes trickling down information when it comes to Smash, chosing to not have a roadplan or anything but rather "Surprise, here's a character! Come back in 2 weeks for Sakurai Presents!" Before radio silence for a while, I'm leaning 30% dual reveal 70% trickle down as it's more beneficial for Nintendo to spread the final two characters out for as much as possible

Staarih

Smash Master
So Nintendo's sale numbers are out... and it's all as impressive as ever. Nuff said.

Yay for Pikmin finally over 2m

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So Nintendo's sale numbers are out... and it's all as impressive as ever. Nuff said.

At nearly 10 million sales it looks like Luigi's Mansion 3 is the best-selling Nintendo game ever by a Western dev.

So if you were wondering why Nintendo uncharacteristically bought Next Level Games, there's your answer.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Most of the Yoshi series stages we've gotten have been pretty similar sorts of areas. You know what would be a great change of pace that's still an iconic location from the series?

1620287179383.png

Only problem is, I have no clue what you'd call it. This happens during the level "Raphael the Raven's Castle", but clearly you've left it behind at this point. There's a level in Yoshi's New Island with a bunch of moons based on this one called "Eggstraordinary Terrain", but... that level doesn't really have a background resembling this, it feels weird to name it after a YNI level of all things, and like I said, in that level there's a bunch of this stuff, not just the one. My best try is something like "Patchwork Moon", but it also feels odd to make up a name, even though it's happened before with Smashville and Kongo Falls.

I don't know, what do y'all think?

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Seeing the way other FP2 characters have been revealed, I'm guessing that E3 will probably just have CP10 only while the mystery of CP11 gets dragged out like a carrot on a stick until the month it's ready, especially if FP2 really is the last FP.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

A couple things.

• Ring Fit has made it past 10 million. Seems like Nintendo may have found a successor to Wii Fit. Remains to be seen whether or not it'll become a franchise, but it's in a good position IMO.
  • SwSh is inching closer and closer to beating GS. Still needs about 2.75 M, but it's beaten the past five Gens by a long shot.
  • I'm surprised that these ports are doing so well. Pikmin is the real standout. Might convince Nintendo to be nicer to it going forward.
  • MK8D is outpacing ACNH. Seems like the racing port will remain at the top.
  • Super Mario Party got a huge spike. Not sure why considering how the online update came out afterwards

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty crazy to think the Switch sold more than double in one year what the Wii U sold in its lifetime.

And as much as that is a testament to the Switch's success it might even be a bigger one to how badly Nintendo stumbled over themselves last time.

The question now is where does the Switch cap out? At this rate, I'm guessing third, behind the PS2 and the DS.

Also I would like to reaffirm Ring Fit's inevitability.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think it would be a little wonky if nothing because there's no sure way of saying what's a fatal attack in Smash.
Screen zoom? I really really hope they wouldn't do this, if they did this then it's punishing the other player for doing well. A lot of strong kill moves have a lot of end lag so this could very easily hand Reimu the kill.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Screen zoom? I really really hope they wouldn't do this, if they did this then it's punishing the other player for doing well. A lot of strong kill moves have a lot of end lag so this could very easily hand Reimu the kill.
The Screen zoom effect doesn't always mean death, though. People already have a chance to keep living after it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Apparently you can throw away the hammer after picking it up?
Z-Dropping, yes. With a Hammer it can only be done when one's tumbling (and the timing's kinda strict) - but Z-Dropping an item is overall useful since there are situations where one wants to drop the item below oneself - or in the Hammer's case when one wants to save oneself. This also works with character-produced items (:ultpeach: , :ultdiddy: ).

Also:

Nintendo Switch sales by Region FY21 (April 2020-March 2021, as noted by consolidated financial statement):

• Japan: 6.60 million (Total: 20.04 million)
  • Americas: 11.15 million (Total: 33.27 million)
  • Europe: 7.15 million (Total: 21.58 million)
  • Other regions: 3.93 million (Total: 9.71 million)

Also also:

And to end with, we would like to announce a candidate for the nomination as a new Outside Director. • We plan to nominate Mr. Chris Meledandri as a new candidate for an Outside Director at the 81st Annual General Meeting of Shareholders to be held this coming June. • Mr. Meledandri, the founder of Illumination Entertainment, has extensive experience as a film producer. We would like to nominate him as a new Outside Director with the expectation that he will appropriately supervise our companyʼs management from an objective perspective, while providing valuable advice to our organization, based on his broad experience and insight gained as a leader in the field of entertainment.
Our current group of Outside Directors consists of experts such as lawyers and accountants, and as members of the Audit and Supervisory Committee, they contribute to enriching the audit and supervisory system of our company through their broad insight into our corporate management. However, Mr. Meledandri is expected to be nominated as an Outside Director who will not serve as a member of the Audit and Supervisory Committee. • We believe that the addition of Mr. Meledandri will help to ensure our balance of diversity, including global perspective, knowledge, and experience, further enhancing the effectiveness of our Board of Directors

The Screen zoom effect doesn't always mean death, though. People already have a chance to keep living after it.
Think he meant the red flash (Deadly Blow) which signifies that an attack will - often - kill, + the Finish Zoom (the "PING" zoom at the end of a game). The Special Zoom is usually reserved for when a BIG attack like Warlock Punch hits (and each case has its context). The thing is though, neither Deadly Blow nor Finish Zoom takes DI into account, and that's a main reason why some of those instances are survivable normally. For example, being hit with an attack that would normally KO, but surviving because one DI's just enough to avoid the blastzone.

So yeah, if I may be honest I'd rather not that they implement that for Reimu since it is unreliable enough already.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not sure if anyone else is a fan of any particular voice actors or actresses. Sometimes, just featuring a voice actor or actress I like can be enough for me to try out a game or show I otherwise may have missed out on. If you could add any character voiced by one of your favorites, who would you choose? I’ll start off with some of mine:

Crispin Freeman: Albel Nox (Star Ocean 3)
Steve Blum: Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
Johnny Yong Bosch: Zero (Mega Man X)
Wendee Lee: Rozalin (Disgaea 2)
Luci Christian: Gaige (Borderlands 2)
Cherami Leigh: Makoto (Persona 5)

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Because of how characters have been revealed so far I expect E3 to only have a single reveal, with FP11 not being revealed until late summer or the fall.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I understand where people are coming from when they say other series are better served getting some representation over SF getting its third character and I just wish they'd stand by that logic, or at least not counter it by simply spouting 'haters', when it comes to FE getting its seventh and eighth characters.

I don't want to turn this into a talk about FE, I just can't help but notice where people stand on the principle seems to vacillate. At least Chun-Li is a very very well known character.
The same kind of thing can be said for the idea of getting another Gen 1 Pokemon as any argument you can use to criticise it is equally valid for Fire Emblem getting its eight fighter and any argument that can be used to defend the latter idea can also equally be used to defend the former idea, yet only those that criticize the latter gets flamed. So yeah, there is a sense of double standard.

Anyways, Chun-Li would be an awesome addition.

Also I would like to reaffirm Ring Fit's inevitability.
No, N3ON, Ring Fit Girl is not inevitable. Just close to it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm saying the reveal of the series the character is from will be before E3 and the actual reveal, drop, & Sakurai Presents will be the week of E3.

Furthermore, I'm placing a bet that the character will be from a game that Nintendo will be focusing on during E3 (meaning it'll be a promotional pick...or a 'shill pick' in some peoples' eyes).

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
It's also why Street Fighter is the only fighting IP they care about today; they actually abandoned all the other ones.
That and the fact that Darkstalkers being abandoned was actually Capcom's fault to begin with.

If you don't understand, allow me to explain. See, after Capcom Fighting Evolution, Capcom made a second rerelease of the Japan exclusive PS2 anthology "Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection" called "Darkstalkers: Resurrection". See, this would have sold very well and would've gotten Darkstalkers to come back...

...except there was one problem: Capcom only promoted it in Japan. And nowhere else. Which was probably a big mistake, since Darkstalkers was actually pretty big in the US back in the '90s. And since Darkstalkers isn't big in Japan, but popular in every other country the franchise had games sold in, the sales didn't do so well. And what was Capcom's response whenever we asked for a new Darkstalkers game after Darkstalkers: Resurrection was a flop (thanks to their terrible promotion skills when doing so)?

Capcom before the new bosses: "wElL, mAyBe If YoU hAd BoUgHt DaRkStAlKeRs: ReSuRrEcTiOn, We WoUlD gIvE yOu OnE, bUt YoU dIdN't BuY iT, sO cLeArLy YoU'rE nOt InTeReStEd In A nEw DaRkStAlKeRs GaMe."

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Just a reminder that the 2015 Smash Direct that revealed Roy and Ryu was in June 14th, two days before Nintendo’s actual E3 2015 Direct. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, fun fact, did you know that Star Allies has sold over 800,000 copies in Japan? It sold around 500,000 copies in March 2018 and a further 360,000 by the next year.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Just a reminder that the 2015 Smash Direct that revealed Roy and Ryu was in June 14th, two days before Nintendo’s actual E3 2015 Direct. Just something to keep in mind.
Thing is, Smash (technically) wasn't even part of E3 that year. Fast forward to today and we have a DLC cycle that was supposed to last two E3's, meaning Smash is 95% likely to be at E3 this year.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
You're using a song specifically made for a game by Capcom to argue against a character being so iconic that a mainstream artisr made a song about them without Capcom going up to her for it, one was made for marketing, the other was not.
You spelt "Artist" with an "r" at the end. Your argument is invalid.

Then why are you suddenly upset at the idea of Darkstalkers using it's mascot instead of any other character for 'hogging the spotlight'? This is hypocritical as hell
Do the words "copy-and-paste" mean anything to you? Because that's all Morrigan has been in every crossover she was in. COPY. AND. PASTE. At least with the Street Fighter characters, they changed between crossovers. Also, I'm not hypocritical, I'm being serious: if you ask everyone to think of ONE Darkstalkers character, I guarantee that most of them will say Morrigan.

Uh no, my logic doesn't mean that a character being the protag in 1 game means that the mascot who's been the protag in the majority of the series while being promoted more than any other character in the series would get less priority.
It's sounds like it to be honest.

This point makes zero sense, Morrigan's always gotten front billing whereas Lilith would be alongside Morrigan at best, a joke doesn't change that.
It wasn't a joke, it was a clip from Morrigan's ending in a game made by Capcom. I feel like you're missing the difference between a joke and something that was from an official game made by Capcom.

Again, you're not complaining about getting Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, etc, you're only doing this with Morrigan for the sake of being a contrarian.
Look, if Morrigan got into Smash, I would be OK with that, but that's not to say I wouldn't be disappointed either.

Considering the unfortunate implications used in arguments against Morrigan in Smash, I advise you think thoroughly instead of insisting your incorrect arguments are right, it's ok to admit you're wrong
Wow. Maybe if you could say that in a way that didn't sound RUDE AS HECK to me, I would do so.

D

Deleted member

Unless they're tired of dragging it out (which I don't see why they'd even view it that way) I don't see why they'd do a double reveal at all. Our only double came from Hero & Banjo and that was the middle of that pass with a whole other fighter's pass tucked in their back pocket that we didn't know about at the time.

As far as we're aware (and Sakurai keeps saying) this is the last pass; just two characters left. I suppose if they managed to catch up in development, or if the characters' gimmick wasn't too much of a pain in the butt to program (like Steve's) then they could release both relatively quickly, but a simultaneous reveal still seems like a stretch.

I feel like at best we'll get this June reveal & release and maybe an August trailer for the final one to release in September to cap off the summer.

It's hard for me to say that it's totally impossible, I just don't see a reason why they'd lump them together all of a sudden.

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice
There we go!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Square may have more info on FFXVI to share. Or possibly the FFVII remaster. They'll probably talk about the Ps5 version of it though + the Yuffie DLC since that's dropping in June.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There we go!

Hell yeah Randy Pitchford confirmed let's ****ing goooooo boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom