• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game. That's why I give fighting game characters, especially those playable in popular or good fighting games, lower priority when making rosters.
How would you take it if someone told you "You can always play your character in another game, so what's the point of wanting them in Smash?"

You're completely missing the point with your mindset. Yes, people can play Chun-Li in other games, but those other games don't have the sheer roster that Smash has. You're forgetting the Smash part of people wanting Chun-Li in Smash. People typically don't just want a character for the sake of having a character, but also for the chance of making that character fight against other Smash characters.

Also, maybe they like Chun-Li as a character the same way anyone would like their favorite characters and want to see her in another of their favorite franchises?

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game. That's why I give fighting game characters, especially those playable in popular or good fighting games, lower priority when making rosters.
I don't really get this mindset tbh

A. People might just wanna see their favorite character make it over to Smash cuz they love it so much. Smash has a notable crossover aspect, with a bunch of match-ups people could only dream of.

B. Smash is pretty much an entirely different fighting game compared to most in terms of mechanics, being very movement and platform heavy. When fighting game characters transition over they'll still play pretty differently thanks to the very unique mechanics of Smash

Telling fans to "play another game" kinda misses the point of it all.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I have no problems with more fighting game characters but I do think it would be more exciting to spread out the representation. We can have Ryu or Ken vs Chun-Li in Street Fighter but this might be our only chance to have a dream match of Ryu vs Scorpion or Fulgore vs Nightmare. I think there is a lot of excitement in that scenario.
True enough, though I don't know if Mortal Kombat or Killer Instinct are all that popular in Japan..I'd more-so expect a Tekken, Blazblue, or Guilty Gear character over a mostly Western fighter.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
How would you take it if someone told you "You can always play your character in another game, so what's the point of wanting them in Smash?"

You're completely missing the point with your mindset. Yes, people can play Chun-Li in other games, but those other games don't have the sheer roster that Smash has. You're forgetting the Smash part of people wanting Chun-Li in Smash.

Also, maybe they like Chun-Li as a character the same way anyone would like their favorite characters and want to see her in another of their favorite franchises?
No, you are missing my point. There are pleasures to be had in playing a character in a fighting game that are not to be had in playing that character in other genres, even less so in non-competitive genres. Characters missing out on Smash is a bigger loss to their fans when they are unavailable in such a capacity in (fewer) or any other game(s).

Telling fans to "play another game" kinda misses the point of it all.
Don't put words in my mouth.

[EDIT: Ramen Tengoku did not misquote me. I should have been more specific about how they had misconstrued my post. I am leaving it up to prevent confusion for anyone who reads this thread.]

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
That;s like saying you can play as Terry in another game; didn't stop him from joining Smash anyways.

If people wanna see a character they like duke it out with the characters of Smash Bros., they should be allowed too if they hecking want. Why do you think I essentially kept begging for Sora and Crash since 2017?

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

You're completely missing the point with your mindset. Yes, people can play Chun-Li in other games, but those other games don't have the sheer roster that Smash has. You're forgetting the Smash part of people wanting Chun-Li in Smash. People typically don't just want a character for the sake of having a character, but also for the chance of making that character fight against other Smash characters.

This exactly..like I can play as almost any character I'd want in another game, like Sora in his own games, 2B in NieR Automata & Soul Calibur VI, Aigis in the Persona fighters and P3 proper, Saber in the Fate/Extella and some fighters, Velvet in her own game and Tales crossovers, Dante in various games, etc, etc..its about playing as them IN SMASH that makes me want them..having them playable with Smash gameplay, crossing over with other characters and worlds..thats part of what makes crossovers fun.

Like, I could play as Link in the Zelda games and the Smash Bros. games, but seeing him in Soul Calibur II was still amazing and I adored it.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Plus, Phoenix Wright doesn't have that feeling that spells out Smash Bros. Again: Smash Bros. is for gaming's greatest characters to duke it out in the ring. A lawyer doesn't have that kind of feel.
Despite us getting a secretary for base game? :ultisabelle:

No, you are missing my point. There are pleasures to be had in playing a character in a fighting game that are not to be had in playing that character in other genres, even less so in non-competitive genres.
And there are pleasures to be had by playing that fighting game character in a non-competitive scenario as well.

Not everyone thinks like you. Something you might think is blasphemous might actually be fun for other people.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That;s like saying you can play as Terry in another game; didn't stop him from joining Smash anyways.

If people wanna see a character they like duke it out with the characters of Smash Bros., they should be allowed too if they hecking want. Why do you think I essentially kept begging for Sora and Crash since 2017?
I never said my opinions have any effect on what characters are playable in Smash. I never said people shoudn't be allowed to want whomever they like. Where did you get all that?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I never said my opinions have any effect on what characters are playable in Smash. I never said people shoudn't be allowed to want whomever they like. Where did you get all that?
"Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game", you said, didn't you? Pretty sure the same could be applied for 90% of the roster.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
My stance on fighting game characters in Smash is that Smash has more general freedom of movement - That is, the jumps aren't as stiff and you aren't as locked in because of the platform aspect - And the inputs are usually different, being directional instead of button based. I'm completely fine with traditional fighters getting characters because the overall experience is different.

Then again SamSho '19 is the only traditional fighter I've played extensively so what do I know

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Double Post
And there are pleasures to be had by playing that fighting game character in a non-competitive scenario as well.
I don't understand how this should change my opinion. Only adding characters not playable in competitive games to Smash increases the available variety of pleasures I referenced.
Not everyone thinks like you. Something you might think is blasphemous might actually be fun for other people.
I don't know how you've read these beliefs into what I've posted.

"Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game", you said, didn't you? Pretty sure the same could be applied for 90% of the roster.
Please reread my last response to you.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
No, you are missing my point. There are pleasures to be had in playing a character in a fighting game that are not to be had in playing that character in other genres, even less so in non-competitive genres. Characters missing out on Smash is a bigger loss to their fans when they are unavailable in such a capacity in (fewer) or any other game(s).
I see your point, but its still a flawed point. Yes, it does suck to not be able to play as a character you like, but most of the time the characters people want in Smash are playable in at least one other game..in the entire Roster of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, there are only SIX characters that don't have playable appearances in at least one game that I can tell. If a character is popular enough, they usually end up with at least 1 playable appearance.
Being playable in a 'competitive game' doesn't matter..its not the competition aspect that most people playing Smash care about, its the gameplay & crossover aspect.

I'd rather not have us start getting into a 'this character not getting in is worse than that character not getting in because X' argument..because its a terrible argument..

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't understand how this should change my opinion. Only adding characters not playable in competitive games to Smash increases the available variety of pleasures I referenced.
Smash can be played in such a variety of ways though. It's not just "pure competitiveness"

The sheer customizability of the settings and potential of custom stages give so much imagination. Obstacle course, games of tag or various sports and other potential shenanigans show that Smash can be whatever the player wants it to be. It's not just "no items, FD only"

Not trying to change your opinion, just stating mine.

Plus, even if it wasn't intentional, a sentence like "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game" is pretty much the equivalent of saying "**** you" to all Chun-Li fans with the way it's written. I'm not a fan of Chun-Li, but that kind of treatment, intentional or not, is highly uncalled for.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
We literally didn't.
You used quotation marks without directly quoting me. In other words, you misquoted me, which is what I meant by "[putting] words in my mouth."
[EDIT: It wasn't a misquotation, as it wasn't presented as a direct quote. I'm leaving it up to prevent confusion for anyone reading this thread. I stand by calling it "putting words in my mouth," so I think the following is still useful.]
Compare, "You can always play your character in another game, so what's the point of wanting them in Smash?" and, "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game."

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
You used quotation marks without directly quoting me. In other words, you misquoted me, which is what I meant by "[putting] words in my mouth."
Compare, "You can always play your character in another game, so what's the point of wanting them in Smash?" and, "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game."
Look back at your post. Many of us have quoted your post word for word and it did have "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game"

One of those people being a mod. Are you really going to make the claim that a staff member delberately miscontructs your post just to **** on you?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah I’m going to be completely honest, even as a Street Fighter fan, Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting to me. Not arguing she’s not iconic or if she deserves to make it in eventually but at this point, after Ken was our only new Capcom character this whole game, I’m not going to be excited for any Street Fighter character.

Capcom has WAY too much to work with to relegate their 4th character to a property not only already represented in game twice, but also from a series that already got a character this game. You can argue that Ken is an Echo so it doesn’t count but Ken is an Echo in name only. He’s easily one of the most unique clones in the whole game, up there with the likes of Roy, Wolf, and Lucas.

Ametarasu? Gimme. Phoenix Wright? Let’s go. Morrigan? Incredible. Dante? Sick. Strider? Oh God please! Chun-Li would just leave me very underwhelmed, especially considering the incredible line-up of Capcom franchises. I have the same feeling for a Sonic character or even two of my favorite franchises, Metal Gear and Castlevania, I would still much rather see Bomberman or Bill & Lance. I dunno. Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting for me.
I kinda feel "bad" because I mostly agree with you. But at the same time, I genuinely like Chun-Li, and I'd like to see her in Smash someday. At the same time, I'd probably feel somewhat disappointed because of what it would mean: no other Capcom series getting repped, at least for the meantime.

The situation would probably be a bit different if Ken wasn't in the roster. I mean, the people who would rather have a new Capcom series getting a playable character would still think the same, but they would probably be more okay with the idea. But Ken was already added, and while he's obviously not Chun-Li, that's still a second SF character and a pretty unique one even if he's an echo. That's why I kinda doubted she was going to make it into Ultimate and always thought we would get a different Capcom series (though at this point it doesn't seem we're getting anything from them, which sucks).

The point Louie G. Louie G. made was good though, and I understand him completely. Most of the Street Fighter content we have is straight from SF2 or inspired by said game.
Which is understandable to an extent because of how important that game was for the industry, with also a big presence back then on the SNES. At the same time the series representation is incredibly focused on that game, and even if Ultimate has improved that a little bit, it is still noticeable if you're a fan of the series or other entries beyond SF2. I'm also kinda sad with the lack of music from SF3, SF4 or SF5. With that, I'd be already pleased.

I guess that if you're not a fan of the franchise, you're not really going to notice the lack of representation of a long running series in Smash. Which is curious because until recently I barely noticed that the Mega Man content we have is greatly focused on classic Mega Man. Which makes sense because that's the OG and the one we have in Smash, but after starting playing other Mega Man subseries, the lack of certain things is definitely more noticeable for me. Well, to be honest, I'm mainly talking about the music department (because it's mostly well covered in other areas: spirits, the Zero assist...). Like, from the 30+ Mega Man songs we have, 3 or 4 aren't from the classic series. Which sucks, because there's great and iconic music beyond classic Mega Man in the entire franchise.
As I said, I really never noticed this until recently, when I started playing other Mega Man subseries. And after loving these, I feel it's kinda criminal we don't have more music from the X, Zero or Battle Network series, to the point I'd like to see another rep.

But then that kinda clashes with my desire of getting new Capcom series. So I don't know what to do. I guess at this point I just want a cool character from them, anyone will do lmao

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Being playable in a 'competitive game' doesn't matter..its not the competition aspect that most people playing Smash care about, its the gameplay & crossover aspect.
I'm not sure you would be refuting my point even if you proved that that's what most people playing Smash care about.
Smash can be played in such a variety of ways though. It's not just "pure competitiveness"

The sheer customizability of the settings and potential of custom stages give so much imagination. Obstacle course, games of tag or various sports and other potential shenanigans show that Smash can be whatever the player wants it to be. It's not just "no items, FD only"
That's a good point.
Plus, even if it wasn't intentional, a sentence like "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game" is pretty much the equivalent of saying "**** you" to all Chun-Li fans with the way it's written. I'm not a fan of Chun-Li, but that kind of treatment, intentional or not, is highly uncalled for.
Nothing I said was uncalled for. You reading something uncalled for into what I said does not make it so.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah I’m going to be completely honest, even as a Street Fighter fan, Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting to me. Not arguing she’s not iconic or if she deserves to make it in eventually but at this point, after Ken was our only new Capcom character this whole game, I’m not going to be excited for any Street Fighter character.

Capcom has WAY too much to work with to relegate their 4th character to a property not only already represented in game twice, but also from a series that already got a character this game. You can argue that Ken is an Echo so it doesn’t count but Ken is an Echo in name only. He’s easily one of the most unique clones in the whole game, up there with the likes of Roy, Wolf, and Lucas.

Ametarasu? Gimme. Phoenix Wright? Let’s go. Morrigan? Incredible. Dante? Sick. Strider? Oh God please! Chun-Li would just leave me very underwhelmed, especially considering the incredible line-up of Capcom franchises. I have the same feeling for a Sonic character or even two of my favorite franchises, Metal Gear and Castlevania, I would still much rather see Bomberman or Bill & Lance. I dunno. Chun-Li just isn’t very exciting for me.
That's understandable; if only a certain other person who's not too into Chun-Li were to be as friendly as you (no need to mention any names, though).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I understand where people are coming from when they say other series are better served getting some representation over SF getting its third character and I just wish they'd stand by that logic, or at least not counter it by simply spouting 'haters', when it comes to FE getting its seventh and eighth characters.

I don't want to turn this into a talk about FE, I just can't help but notice where people stand on the principle seems to vacillate. At least Chun-Li is a very very well known character.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Nothing I said was uncalled for. You reading something uncalled for into what I said does not make it so.
I kept bringing up "intentional or not" for a reason.

Just because you thought a certain way when writing a post doesn't mean everyone will understand it the way you meant it.

This is the Internet, where misunderstandings happen more often than two people talking during a noisy rock band concert.

And from the looks of it, a lot of people, myself included, really took your post as ruder than intended.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Look back at your post. Many of us have quoted your post word for word and it did have "Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game"

One of those people being a mod. Are you really going to make the claim that a staff member delberately miscontructs your post just to **** on you?
I edited the comment in which I accused you and Ramen Tengoku of putting words in my mouth. Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , I apologize.

That doesn't change the fact that you (Unikorn) misquoted me. Neither does including something I did say in your spurious quote.

[EDIT: It wasn't a misquotation, as it wasn't presented as a direct quote. I'm leaving it up to prevent confusion for anyone reading this thread. I stand by calling it "putting words in my mouth."]
My stance on fighting game characters in Smash are:

Smash is a crossover for video game characters
fighting games are video games
therefore fighting game characters are okay additions for Smash
No one here has said they aren't okay additions.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
My stance on fighting game characters in Smash are:

Smash is a crossover for video game characters
fighting games are video games
therefore fighting game characters are okay additions for Smash
Thank you for sharing the same opinion as me. I'm not too into the fighting game scene, so I'm welcoming to anyone, really.

Hack-and-slashes, though? I may have my biases...

ZelDan

Smash Master
I edited the comment in which I accused you and Ramen Tengoku of putting words in my mouth. Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , I apologize.

That doesn't change the fact that you (Unikorn) misquoted me. Neither does including something I did say in your spurious quote.

No one here has said they aren't okay additions.
And I never said anyone here said there weren't okay additions for Smash. just sharing my thoughts on fighting game characters.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I didn't. I just didn't feel like going back to quote the specific post and copy-pasted off of my original reply.

That's been edited since and you can see I didn't misquote you at all if you look.
This is still in the relevant comment:
However, I went too far in saying that you misquoted me. I would still call it "putting words in my mouth," but it's not presented as a direct quote. I will go back and edit my comment(s) in which I accused you of misquoting me.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
However, I went too far in saying that you misquoted me. I would still call it "putting words in my mouth,
Well, you can at least see how it was interpreted that way, right?

"Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game"

Like I said, this is the Internet. How you say things probably matters more than what you're saying in the first place.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Well, you can at least see how it was interpreted that way, right?

"Chun-li fans can always go play her in another game"

Like I said, this is the Internet. How you say things probably matters more than what you're saying in the first place.
I won't comment on that here, but I will have to take into account the non-competitive gameplay of Smash when I consider rosters going forward.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm not sure you would be refuting my point even if you proved that that's what most people playing Smash care about.
Sorry, but I still feel your point is wrong. Almost every character people want is playable in another game, just as all but 6 characters in the Roster are (I suppose I'd count Pyra in this because you can't directly play as her in Xenoblade Chronicles 2, just as Mythra in the Torna DLC).
Almost every character is playable in another game, but none of those games are like Super Smash Bros..the closest being Dante in PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal..which wasn't even the Dante people want and was a not-as-good version of Smash.

Saying things like this character not making it in is worst than this character not making it in because they're playable in other games is just a bad take..its literally a 'well that's not as bad as this because of some arbitrary reason' and completely discounts that every last bit of it is subjective based on each person's thoughts and feelings on any particular character. Like, I love Leviathan from Mega Man Zero, and she's really not playable in anything, but her not making it in isn't worse than 2B from NieR Automata not making it in just because 2B is playable in a few games such as Soul Calibur VI.

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
There are literally hundreds of characters I would be excited to see get into Smash but I’ll try to narrow it down to a top 20 list and limiting it to one character per series:

1) Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
2) Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
3) Magus (Chrono Trigger)
4) Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
5) Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
6) Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
7) Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts)
8) Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
9) Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
10) Diablo (Diablo)
11) Medusa (Kid Icarus)
12) Pharaoh Man (Mega Man)
13) Goombella (Paper Mario)
14) Gengar (Pokémon)
15) H’aanit (Octopath Traveller)
16) Jena Anderson (Astral Chain)
17) Impa (Legend of Zelda - OG HW)
18) Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
19) Raziel (Soul Reaver)
20) Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)

That was a lot harder to narrow down than I was hoping and I still had to leave out a lot of my favorites like Nightmare, Etna, Elma, Nel Zelpher, Death, Lulu, and a ton of others but this is what I ended up with.
not bad picks. might as well try this out in no particular order.

1) Agumon (Digimon)
2) Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic)
3) Jill Valintine (Resident Evil)
4) Giovanni (Pokemon)
5) Doom Slayer (Doom)
6) Master Chief (Halo)
7) Dante (Devil May Cry)
8) Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
9) Shantae (Shantae)
10) Adeleine (Kirby)
11) Morrigan (Darkstalkers)
12) Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
13) Nightmare (Soul Caliber)
14) King Boo (Luigi's Mansion)
15) Ayumi (Famicom Detective Club)
16) Mach Rider (Mach Rider)
17) Midna (Legend of Zelda)
18) Dig Dug (Dig Dug)
19) Medusa (Kid Icarus)
20) Dracula (Castlevania)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bro I can't even name 20 video game characters that exist off the top of my head.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So how many MWs does everyone have? Currently I have 27.
I pretty much have 30.
  • Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
  • Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
  • Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  • Kunio/Riki [River City]
  • SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
  • Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
  • Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  • Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  • Nightmare [Soul Calibur]
  • Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
  • Shantae [Shantae]
  • Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]
  • Amaterasu [Okami]
  • Dante [Devil May Cry]
  • Mike Haggar [Final Fight]
  • Strider Hiryu [Strider]
  • Nakoruru [Samurai Shodown]
  • Goemon/Ebisumaru [Legend of the Mystical Ninja]
  • Crono [Chrono Trigger]
  • Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
  • Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
  • Heihachi [Tekken]
  • Phoenix Wright [Ace Attorney]
  • Bomberman [Bomberman]
  • Captain Toad/Toadette [Treasure Tracker]
  • King Hippo [Punch-Out]
  • Firebrand [Gargoyle’s Quest]
  • Zero [Mega Man X]
  • Alucard [Castlevania]
  • Raiden [Metal Gear]
But every time one gets in, I just add someone else to the list.

And that's not counting the Echoes and Bosses I want.
10e. Ninten [Ness]
11e. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
16e. Impa [Sheik]
27e. Galacta Knight [Meta Knight]
31e. Liquid Snake [Snake]
32e. Black Knight [Ike]
35e. Charizard [Pokemon Trainer]
36e. Dixie Kong [Diddy Kong]
38e. Shadow [Sonic]
46e. Bass [Megaman]
61e. Zack [Cloud]
63e. Jeanne [Bayonetta]
64e. Octolings [Inklings]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Wily Machine piloted by Dr. Wily[Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's Sakura's song and it's done by her JAPANESE VOICE ACTRESS.
Plus, I know it's not the intent behind your post, but I could tell just from the way you worded that first paragraph that your reply (in my head) sounds extremely rude.

I'm not upset by any of that.

Yeah, well, Donovan was the MAIN CHARACTER of Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors. So according to your logic, Donovan should be used more just because of his main character status in one game. Plus, if you still don't believe me, Cutie, at the ending of Morrigan's story in Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, it literally shows Morrigan complaining that Lilith - which is basically Morrigan with a more cheerful personality and less painful moves - is more popular than she is. I am serious about this.
View attachment 313947
(You tried it, Morrigan. You tried it.)

My point is that while it is nice to use the main character, you shouldn't use them TOO MUCH. Morrigan is - as you say - the "main character of Darkstalkers" (Yeah, I'm sorry, Donovan came first), and Capcom is using her to no end when they have other characters to represent the Darkstalkers series. Like I said: not only has Morrigan been the Darkstalkers representative in crossover fighting game Capcom has ever made, she's been the Darkstalkers representative in EVERYTHING. Like SNK proved in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos by adding Demitri into the game over Morrigan (and they did it again in King of Fighters 14 by adding Nakoruru as the Samurai Shodown rep over Haohmaru - and that choice ended up getting them out of bankruptcy), you don't need to use the main character of a series in order for people to recognize it. And that's what I want Nintendo to do with Darkstalkers if it ever comes to Smash. If you don't want that to happen, that's alright: it's just MY opinion. You have no right to be rude over it and make your replies sound rude to me.

I don't know whether you know this or not, but in order for a series or franchise to be recognized, you don't just need to copy and paste your "main character" into every single piece of media you can find. There's all sorts of secondary characters too, and they need some attention in the spotlight as well. Capcom did it with Red Earth, because even though they usually use Tessa for crossovers, in Capcom Fighting Evolution they brought over characters that WEREN'T TESSA (Kenji, Leo, Hauzer, and Hydron). They also did it with Cyberbots as well, as though they usually use Jin Saotome for the crossovers, they also bring in Devilotte as well, and hell: sometimes they even bring in BOTH OF THEM. They even did it with Rival Schools, and they used a LOT of variety when it came to wondering which characters from Rival Schools to put in other fighting games. I just want the same thing to happen with Darkstalkers, as though they bring in some other Darkstalkers characters sometimes, Morrigan just hogs the spotlight from every one of the Darkstalkers who joins her in a crossover (usually Felicia and Hsien-Ko, and sometimes Donovan is thrown in there).

Listen, you can reply to my comment in whatever way you want: just don't make it sound like you're being rude.
You're using a song specifically made for a game by Capcom to argue against a character being so iconic that a mainstream artisr made a song about them without Capcom going up to her for it, one was made for marketing, the other was not.

Then why are you suddenly upset at the idea of Darkstalkers using it's mascot instead of any other character for 'hogging the spotlight'? This is hypocritical as hell

Uh no, my logic doesn't mean that a character being the protag in 1 game means that the mascot who's been the protag in the majority of the series while being promoted more than any other character in the series would get less priority, if Darkstalkers was ONLY Night Warriors, you'd have a point.

This point makes zero sense, Morrigan's always gotten front billing whereas Lilith would be alongside Morrigan at best, a joke doesn't change that.

Again, you're not complaining about getting Sonic, Snake, Mega Man, etc, you're only doing this with Morrigan for the sake of being a contrarian.

There is a major difference between a franchise that very rarely uses a character who isn't the protag/mascot and one that has more creative freedom as seen by going for more oddball picks, not that it matters as Morrigan's still the go to choice for Capcom, she's not hogging the spotlight any more than Sonic, Snake, Mega Man and more do. Considering the unfortunate implications used in arguments against Morrigan in Smash, I advise you think thoroughly instead of insisting your incorrect arguments are right, it's ok to admit you're wrong

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Porky [Earthbound]

Mission failed, we'll get em nextime

Porky [Earthbound]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Wily Machine piloted by Dr. Wily[Mega Man]
Safer∙Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
[/spoiler]
Porky should be promoted to a fighter to increase the flow of Sephiroth and Porky fan arts.

Edit:I didn't mean to spam. Still trying to learn how this stuff works.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My most wanted

Sol Badguy
Chun-Li
Dante
Ryu Hayabusa
Crash Bandicoot
Toad
Doom Slayer
Zero
Impa (AOC)
Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy
Nightmare (SC)
Outstanding list.

capcom will never acknowledge a street fighter game lore that goes past Y2K
Except several of them already do, because SF operates on sliding timeline where the current game takes place "now" even when that doesn't make sense in the timeline.

That's why SF5 has things like smartphones and twitter, even though it takes place before SF3.

I understand where people are coming from when they say other series are better served getting some representation over SF getting its third character and I just wish they'd stand by that logic, or at least not counter it by simply spouting 'haters', when it comes to FE getting its seventh and eighth characters.
That's probably two different groups of people.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been thinking about Reimu for a while and watching Dark Phoenix in MvC3 gave me an idea. For those who don't know, one of the big buffs Dark Phoenix gets is that her normals fire off projectiles making her moves stronger and safer, what if Reimu used a similar idea so that whenever she used her normals, she'd shoot a small, weak and short to mid distance projectile. It'd have no hit stun and deal chip damage at most but Reimu'd be able to fill the screen with projectiles like this, if this is a passive ability she'd always have then her normals can be balanced around that by making them weak too and if it's an install or something, then that ability will have cooldown to balance it out. The issue people have with zoners is an inability to get in, so I'm curious of the inherent dynamic of "You can get in, but you'll take a chunk of damage" at play here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom