• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Truth be told I think I'd sooner see Waluigi actually be active in a mainline Mario or Wario game before getting in Smash. I have nothing against him being a fighter, I just think he feels even more overdue to actually do something in major title.

As far as the contrast in dislikes, Smash 4 and Ultimate had differing levels in the hype cycle. The former's DLC was exciting certainly, but it was a bit more chaotic and unexpected as far as picks, so I think there was simply less expectation in general for it to be super big, even in its final characters.

The latter beginning with a shock pick like Joker, including a longtime dream character like Banjo, and being a game that brought everybody back raised expectations so high that there would be a DLC pick that was a real disappointment to a lot of people eventually; a Jenga puzzle that however tall it got was doomed to have someone pull out the piece that brought things down.

It just so happened that in the minds of various fans Byleth not only knocked things down but then proceeded to throw the pieces at them. But that's the FE factor for you.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
For Waluigi, I have no strong feelings toward him. I would certainly not mind if he became playable. He is funny, would have a wacky moveset based around the spinoffs so he would have golf clubs, baseball bats, volley balls, and maybe even a kart that he can drive around. Plus my best friend's most wanted character is Waluigi so he would pop off if he got added. So yeah I would be happy with his inclusion, but at the same time I don't have much attachment to him so I won't be upset if he doesn't make it in either.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah, Waluigi has grown on me too, to the point that I made a Waluigi Sim as one of my Mario Bros. Sims in The Sims 4.
If Waluigi does enter the roster, I hope to see at least 1 reference to his Taco Stand. :4pacman: (kinda)
Wow, I checked the amount of likes both of my comments received; I guess that speaks volumes on Waluigi's popularity. :D

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I just wonder how would the crowd react if an Indie character drops in as a fighter at E3?
That is one that Heavily depends on who it is.

If it's someone like say, The Knight, Shovel Knight, Quote, Frisk, Shantae etc. It would be incredibly positive

If it's someone like Reimu or Gunvolt It would still be mostly positive just with some "Literally Who's" tossed in there

Someone like Freddy or Yooka and Laylee the reaction would change depending on how the internet is feeling that day

If it's Bec from Mighty Number 9, Take Shelter immediately.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey you know what? You’re right. I shouldn’t let the small portions that are being annoying ruin it for me if Waluigi ever got in. He would be a pretty fun character I think. I don’t mean to spread any negativity or **** on anybody’s favorite character who they want in. 😞 I mean I want Dante in the most and a lot of ppl would say he’s just a meme character in a different way. If you want Waluigi then that’s totally valid!
I mean, you're free to feel how you want to feel. If you don't like a character, that's fine with me. There are plenty of characters I don't like. I usually just provide the counterargument to whatever character is being discussed. Typically that errs on the negative side, but sometimes it's the opposite. Like now.

It also helps that I'd like to see Waluigi. But people don't have to share my sentiments. As long as we're dealing with subjective feelings and not objective judgments, live and let live.

Also I feel like people don't know what meme characters are anymore. Most candidates are going to have some meme about them, but that doesn't make them, like, Spongebob or Shrek or something. Most Dante support is definitely genuine.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I just wonder how would the crowd react if an Indie character drops in as a fighter at E3?
Well, the popularity of the Sans and Cuphead Mii costumes should be a good indicator of that (though it might have been different if it were just any random indie).

If it's Bec from Mighty Number 9 or Balan from Balan Wonderworld, Take Shelter immediately.
Fixed that for you.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That is one that Heavily depends on who it is.

If it's someone like say, The Knight, Shovel Knight, Quote, Frisk, Shantae etc. It would be incredibly positive

If it's someone like Reimu or Gunvolt It would still be mostly positive just with some "Literally Who's" tossed in there

Someone like Freddy or Yooka and Laylee the reaction would change depending on how the internet is feeling that day

If it's Bec from Mighty Number 9, Take Shelter immediately.
Its sad that Beck's dominant legacy is from MN9, because Mighty Gunvolt Burst really demonstrated how much potential he has as a character in the right hands. Someone that fun to play as really does deserve better hypothetical Smash appearance responses than "Better than Nothing" or comments about pizza explosions, but that's likely what he'd be inundated with.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Well, the popularity of the Sans and Cuphead Mii costumes should be a good indicator of that (though it might have been different if it were just any random indie).

Fixed that for you.
Balan would be great though. He could have a gimmick where he only has specials and every other button is just jump.

ZelDan

Smash Master
It would depend on which one.

Some of the more notable "hype" ones already got in Smash with nonplayable roles, and even if ATs are on the table, i don't know if I see Shovel Knight making it over other At characters )or non-AT ones for that matter.

Reimu I could see getting a reaction similar to the DQ heroes (ie hugely hype in Japan, less so outside of it)

Outside of that, any other character I think would get reactions ranging from neutral to marginal excitement/hype.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I've always enjoyed Waluigi, he's a perpetual cheat and sore loser and that just makes him endearing in his own right. More than any other Mario character he embodies that sort of Saturday morning cartoon villain vibe, like Skeletor or Team Rocket (or D*ck Dastardly, obviously) and I think that's an incredibly fun dynamic to have in Smash. Like maybe having his victory screens always go south somehow, getting frustrated people aren't giving him enough attention or getting emotional that FINALLY he's gotten the spotlight he's always been so unfairly cheated of. He's just really fun.

I've never really understood the insistence that Waluigi needs to develop some role in the mainline games, since Mario's brand is so much greater than the core "Super Mario" games. I mean hell, Mario Kart regularly outperforms the main series titles and Waluigi is in nearly all of them. To your average off-the-streets Mario fan, Waluigi is part of the main gang. I can understand not finding him particularly interesting or suggesting he doesn't really need to be in Smash (he's far from a necessity), but I think feeling so strongly that every Mario character ought to be a major player in the platformers is silly.

I love Plant, but I've genuinely seen people say Plant makes "more sense" than Waluigi for that reason and like... come on, lmao. That's not why Plant is here. These petty arguments against Waluigi bring me back to the good old days when people made excuses for why Ridley or K. Rool couldn't make it, so if anything that probably bodes very nicely for him (lol).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think it's funny how some spin-off content is spoken of with disdain while the other hand elevates some like Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion.

Or how the version of Impa people actually want comes almost exclusively from spin-offs.

Of course this probably does come from different people, but the inconsistencies are interesting nonetheless.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I've always enjoyed Waluigi, he's a perpetual cheat and sore loser and that just makes him endearing in his own right. More than any other Mario character he embodies that sort of Saturday morning cartoon villain vibe, like Skeletor or Team Rocket (or D*ck Dastardly, obviously) and I think that's an incredibly fun dynamic to have in Smash. Like maybe having his victory screens always go south somehow, getting frustrated people aren't giving him enough attention or getting emotional that FINALLY he's gotten the spotlight he's always been so unfairly cheated of. He's just really fun.

I've never really understood the insistence that Waluigi needs to develop some role in the mainline games, since Mario's brand is so much greater than the core "Super Mario" games. I mean hell, Mario Kart regularly outperforms the main series titles and Waluigi is in nearly all of them. To your average off-the-streets Mario fan, Waluigi is part of the main gang. I can understand not finding him particularly interesting or suggesting he doesn't really need to be in Smash (he's far from a necessity), but I think feeling so strongly that every Mario character ought to be a major player in the platformers is silly.

I love Plant, but I've genuinely seen people say Plant makes "more sense" than Waluigi for that reason and like... come on, lmao. That's not why Plant is here. These petty arguments against Waluigi bring me back to the good old days when people made excuses for why Ridley or K. Rool couldn't make it, so if anything that probably bodes very nicely for him (lol).
This. Waluigi doesn't need a role in the main games to get in Smash. The spinoffs are plenty, and a lot of people already know him.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I think it's funny how some spin-off content is spoken of with disdain while the other hand elevates some like Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion.

Or how the version of Impa people actually want comes almost exclusively from spin-offs.

Of course this probably does come from different people, but the inconsistencies are interesting nonetheless.
Smash Bros isn’t even canon anyways.

SKX31

Smash Master
I agree. To be fair, I only used it as an example because it still was an unprecedented ratio for any Smash trailer. My point is more along the lines of "I doubt Fortnite would get even that kind of backlash", rather than take YT likes and dislikes as gospel.
I'm neutral on Fortnite (despite having merely watched it), but it's worth pointing out one thing:

It's built to be a social hub of sorts. The same goes for many games that took the world by storm like WoW and LoL - they're also excellent social games. Sure, Fortnite might not be wholly original, but it doesn't need to be when a lot of players in all three cases play it to have fun together. It's something Epic intentionally expanded upon when they started having Travis Scott (and other artists) perform concerts in Fortnite.

It's just giving Sakurai copious quantities of money so he can make his little digital toybox on the condition he shares it with us.
Only for him to frown a little on the inside when the people he shares it with can't agree on anything re: Smash - which characters should be in, which aspect of Smash is the most important, which alternate color is the most fabolous... :4pacman:

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, the indie character that does get in depends on the people and fans that follow.

Quote/Curly: The duo that is the grandparents that started the Indie games. IDK where they stand as the company that uses them isn't in a good position

Shovel Knight: his fate is already an Assist Trophy. Though, it doesn't stop him if he becomes a Mii Costume.

The Knight: (not being biased) With Hollow Knight's DLC Silksong having no word, it is undetermined of The Knight's position. He could be a good fighter or another Premium Mii Costume with a track (idk what track, but you can give one.)

Reimu: The fans in the east and some in the west will be happy to see this series get representation. She could also be another Premium Mii Costume.

Shantae: She has gain traction over the years and even gain an appearance in base game as a spirit and an online icon. TBH, I don't think she will fit as a Mii Costume.

Frisk: Toby Fox has gotten Sans already as a Premium Mii Costume and met Sakurai by playing a few rounds at his house. Frisk sounds good, but IDK if Toby wants to do it again.

Gunvolt: Great character with his moveset, history and his gimmick of tagging foes to give them electric attacks.

Jason Frudnick: Like Gunvolt, great character with moveset, history and with his blaster having unique tools to the situation

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's just giving Sakurai copious quantities of money so he can make his little digital toybox on the condition he shares it with us.
Smash Bros is just Sakurai’s expensive fanfiction game series. You got all the hallmarks of a fanfiction, including the weird interpretations of iconic characters!:4pacman:

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Reimu: The fans in the east and some in the west will be happy to see this series get representation. She could also be another Premium Mii Costume.
I do wonder whether or not Reimu would actually be a Premium Mii, or just a regular old Mii. General agreement is that PreMiiums cover the entire body and actually look like the character; The likes of Black Knight and Creeper don't count because even though they hide the Mii, you can still easily tell it's a Mii because of the proportions. I feel like Reimu would just be a regular Mii, with a wig and a costume.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I do wonder whether or not Reimu would actually be a Premium Mii, or just a regular old Mii. General agreement is that PreMiiums cover the entire body and actually look like the character; The likes of Black Knight and Creeper don't count because even though they hide the Mii, you can still easily tell it's a Mii because of the proportions. I feel like Reimu would just be a regular Mii, with a wig and a costume.
I mean, if by some miracle the Miitopia Mii Maker winds up in Smash, wouldn’t every costume become “Premium” thanks to how intricate it can get?

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Frisk: Toby Fox has gotten Sans already as a Premium Mii Costume and met Sakurai by playing a few rounds at his house. Frisk sounds good, but IDK if Toby wants to do it again.
I could totally see Frisk actually happening mainly because Cuphead got many spirits, but Undertale didn't after the Mii Costume, which was really weird. Let's say the Sans costume sold exceptionally well, which it might've. They might plan to make Frisk a fully-fledged fighter with moves from other characters from Undertale and that's when we get the spirits? Totally not a guarantee but it's something to chew on.

EDIT: Super late rephrasing and removing replies that felt like they were a few pages too far back in hindsight.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m of the argument that PreMiiums come with music due to the licensing fees associated with getting the rights to that track. That’s just me tho
Yeah, the indie character that does get in depends on the people and fans that follow.

Quote/Curly: The duo that is the grandparents that started the Indie games. IDK where they stand as the company that uses them isn't in a good position

Shovel Knight: his fate is already an Assist Trophy. Though, it doesn't stop him if he becomes a Mii Costume.

The Knight: (not being biased) With Hollow Knight's DLC Silksong having no word, it is undetermined of The Knight's position. He could be a good fighter or another Premium Mii Costume with a track (idk what track, but you can give one.)

Shantae: She has gain traction over the years and even gain an appearance in base game as a spirit and an online icon. TBH, I don't think she will fit as a Mii Costume.

Gunvolt: Great character with his moveset, history and his gimmick of tagging foes to give them electric attacks.

Jason Frudnick: Like Gunvolt, great character with moveset, history and with his blaster having unique tools to the situation
for Hollow Knight, Sealed Vessel as a song if they were to get Mii’d

and I would deadass pop off over Gunvolt even tho I know he has very little chance but HECK I love Gunvolt

I’d say Ori too but they were straight up deconfirmed in an interview. Mii Costume if ANYTHING. hope they come with a song at least

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The "Waluigi needs to be in a mainline Mario/Wario game" argument feels kind of silly to me when we already have :ultdaisy:, a character who has existed exclusively in spin-offs for the vast majority of her history.

Sure, she appeared in Super Mario Land for 20 seconds, but we all know that's not the reason she got into Smash.

Ivander

Smash Legend
On the topic of Fortnite, I would have to see how the character plays and looks in-game before making a decision on how I feel about them. Like my main issue with Fortnite is the art style and how clunky it looks physics-wise. With Minecraft and Steve, it still looks weird, but the way they did them makes them very reminiscent of Mr. Game & Watch, who despite being weird, still manages to not look horribly out of place.

But as it stands right now, I'd be pretty disappointed if Fortnite got a character. I wouldn't be upset, just disappointed. I just find Fortnite's art style to be ugly and I am definitely not a fan of the physics and the way the characters move in-game. Like I honestly hope Smash does it's own thing with a Fortnite character rather than attempt a Game & Watch/Steve scenario with them.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
To take this opportunity to voice my opinion amid this temporary focus on Waluigi: he is genuinely and wholeheartedly my favourite Mario character. I always pick him when possible, be it Party, Kart (though I sometimes switch to Roy or Morton, but it usually doesn't take long for me to switch back) or sports. I will be picking him in Super Rush, and I would pick him in Smash. His personality and animations just make him far more interesting and amusing to me than most other Mario characters - this is the same reason why Wario is a close second. Waluigi wins out because I like his design and colours better. I've always liked the sharp-chinned, moustachioed villain design trope.

Needless to say, I would be very happy if he were to make it in. And that might be a very very big if at this point, but I haven't found much reason to give up the hope I still have until it's clear that it's the end of the road for Ultimate, and he didn't make it.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Honestly, Fortnite is popular as the Number 1 gaming for people to play and stream. Heck, even gets costumes from every Media and game character they can bargain.

While it is the hot topic to talk about, I don't think it is possible for the series to become a fighter.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Honestly, Fortnite is popular as the Number 1 gaming for people to play and stream. Heck, even gets costumes from every Media and game character they can bargain.

While it is the hot topic to talk about, I don't think it is possible for the series to become a fighter.
As a small streamer Fortnite’s insane popularity kinda upsets me cause everyone flocks to the big Fortnite streamer

And also when trying to network with OTHER streamers, 95% of the Going Live channels in some servers is literally Fortnite

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’m of the argument that PreMiiums come with music due to the licensing fees associated with getting the rights to that track. That’s just me tho
And given that we haven't had music come with a Mii since Cuphead...

...Yeah

I cannot overstate how much a missed opportunity it is to not have a track come with the Miis

D

Deleted member

depends on which one.

Although I feel as long as it’s from one of the big indie hits like Shovel Knight or Undertale, the reception would be mostly positive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
And given that we haven't had music come with a Mii since Cuphead...

...Yeah

I cannot overstate how much a missed opportunity it is to not have a track come with the Miis
BRO I WANTED THAT BANGER OF A TEKKEN 6 CHARACTER SELECT THEME TO COME WITH THE HEIHACHI MII ITS A CRIME THAT SONG ISNT ACTUALLY IN SMASH

A CRIME I SAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom