• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Given Lloyd is more then likely to return as a Mii, that can give us hindsight who among the last two fighters are. As mentioned either a sword fighter, Namco character or both in general.

At this point I just can't see Lloyd being picked when all the other Sm4sh Miis have returned and that's the only one yet to not return.
It's going to be pretty easy to determine who the last two fighters are once we have hindsight. I think you mean insight.

But I also think you're connecting dots just to connect them. Lloyd doesn't have to show up with a character that's anything like him. Gil showed up with Steve.

One thing about returning miis which is interesting to me is the case of Akira. Akira was revealed to have an assist in the base game, and when Joker came and went without Akira getting his costume back (he's Sega owned), most thought that was the end of it. Weirdly enough, though, his mii came back despite him having a brand new AT.
I don't recall this being the case. There were probably a few people who believed the AT replaced the costume, but I think most people just figured it would arrive later, which it did. It seems preferable for all involved to release third-party costumes as DLC, so Akira also being an AT didn't convince people the costume wasn't going to eventually return.

Truthfully I don't think we talked about it all that much since very few seemed to care about Akira, lol.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyway, I still think Crash Bandicoot is going to be our next fighter for E3 since we usually have one character that appeals to the western audience. Then I think Sora is going to be our final character. No actual reason, I just thinking he's going to barely sneak in.

As for Cortez, I'd be happy to get another TimeSplitters game or even some re-releases.

That is all. You can go back to whatever you guys are talking about.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
But I also think you're connecting dots just to connect them. Lloyd doesn't have to show up with a character that's anything like him. Gil showed up with Steve.
All of the Steve costumes were on theme with Minecraft, though. Bomberman has a block head, Creeper and Pig are from Minecraft, and the remaining three (Gil, Travis, and Diamond Armor) all have blue swords, which is a pretty distinct Steve trait.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
All of the Steve costumes were on theme with Minecraft, though. Bomberman has a block head, Creeper and Pig are from Minecraft, and the remaining three (Gil, Travis, and Diamond Armor) all have blue swords, which is a pretty distinct Steve trait.
You realize with logic like this, every Mii can probably fit every character in some unintuitive, potentially contrived way?

Making the concept of using them for prediction purposes useless.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me that mii fighter waves aren't defined by one specific common trait, but all share thematic elements with the character they come with. The Minecraft wave is a good example. Minmin's wave included characters from 3D fighters/shooters, and characters with blond hair.

You realize with logic like this, every Mii can probably fit every character in some unintuitive, potentially contrived way?
I hardly find it "contrived"... To me, it's pretty obvious that miis share themes with the character they release alongside. You're entitled to your own opinion, though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It seems to me that mii fighter waves aren't defined by one specific common trait, but all share thematic elements with the character they come with. The Minecraft wave is a good example. Minmin's wave included characters from 3D fighters/shooters, and characters with blond hair.
I mean... when you find a way to tie Vault Boy and Min Min together thematically, I think it only proves my point.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I think the likeliest scenario at this point is that there isn't a Namco character. Again.
This isn't saying much. There are many potential companies for characters, so the probability of Namco getting a character starts at much less than 1/2, and the evidence doesn't get it past that mark to "likely." (The increase from their status as the developers is lessened by evidence of how little that matters.)
Oh, I forgot to mention Yoshimitsu
They always do...

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean I’d also argue Pyra/Mythra having mostly Monster Hunter costumes kinda fit cause Xenoblade’s Unique Monsters/Tyrants definitely give off a MH feel - super strong monsters offsetting the natural way of life in a habitat

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I mean... when you find a way to tie Vault Boy and Min Min together thematically, I think it only proves my point.
I only needed to glance for a moment to "find a way". Blonde hair is pretty rare in Smash DLC. MinMin is the only yellow-haired character in FP2, so far. Thematic elements are clearly shared, to me. If you disagree, that's cool.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This isn't saying much. There are many potential companies for characters, so the probability of Namco getting a character starts at much less than 1/2, and the evidence doesn't get it past that mark to "likely." (The increase from their status as the developers is lessened by evidence of how little that is relevant.)
I think you know what I meant, in that it seemed likelier at one point and now it seems less likely.

I hardly find it "contrived"... To me, it's pretty obvious that miis share themes with the character they release alongside. You're entitled to your own opinion, though.
Some are pretty obvious, like the Virtua Fighter characters coming with the SNK characters, but you find a way to tie Zero to Banjo, and yeah, it's gonna be contrived.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I only needed to glance for a moment to "find a way". Blonde hair is pretty rare in Smash DLC. MinMin is the only yellow-haired character in FP2, so far. Thematic elements are clearly shared, to me. If you disagree, that's cool.
My point was not whether they could be tied together. It was that tying some of these thematically disparate characters together is evidence it can be done probably amongst most if not all Mii costumes and characters if you try hard enough, regardless of it they showed up in the same wave or not, thus negating any use as indicators of who is to come, because the link becomes ubiquitous.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
What, does Mythra not exist in this dimension? :4pacman:
True true, but Pyra was the first revealed, she's the default on the CSS, and that wave was purely Capcom costumes to coincide with game releases.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At this point I just can't see Lloyd being picked when all the other Sm4sh Miis have returned and that's the only one yet to not return.
I said this before the other day, but this logic really doesn't sit well with me. It's basically "Oh no, we all got mud on us except for you! Now you must fall in the mud so we're all equal."

Lloyd has different merits than Heihachi, who has different merits than Geno, who has different merits from Tails, who has different merits than Monster Hunter, so on and so forth. This isn't a matter of one being more important than the other. Either they get added based on their merits, or they don't because Nintendo's priorities are elsewhere. If Nintendo wants Lloyd, a Mii Costume from the previous game won't hold them down.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I said this before the other day, but this logic really doesn't sit well with me. It's basically "Oh no, we all got mud on us except for you! Now you must fall in the mud so we're all equal."

Lloyd has different merits than Heihachi, who has different merits than Geno, who has different merits from Tails, who has different merits than Monster Hunter, so on and so forth. This isn't a matter of one being more important than the other. Either they get added based on their merits, or they don't because Nintendo's priorities are elsewhere. If Nintendo wants Lloyd, a Mii Costume from the previous game won't hold them down.
Except that all the Sm4sh Miis have been 30ish-40ish of them, what's gonna make one stand out from the others? May as well be the last one in line coming with the next fighter.

As said, I just don't see it happening being this far at the end of Ultimate's DLC cycle with only one left at this point.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I (like many) am surprised that Lloyd didn't come back with Pythra. They were the best fit for him so far, so it kinda gives me hope for a Bandai Namco character.

If Lloyd isn't granted playability, some (probably meaningless) things I take into account when guessing who he might return alongside are:

1. RPGs with action elements
2. Bandai Namco properties, or Namco originating ones
3. (Obligatory) Sword wielders
4. Character designer
5. Series
6. Dual wielders

Probably missing some. Sakuraba's sudden presence on the DLC sound team for Fighter's Pass 2 is a minor source of hope for Tales/Souls in my book, as I've said before. It took him a surprisingly long time to sign on for paid songs, but I'm glad he did. I like the spin he's out on his arrangements so far.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Some mii Costumes have themes, but not all of them. Joker, Hero, and Sephiroth have their company as a theme, and Pythra had Capcom as theirs. Terry also had a theme, being Fighting Games. Banjo, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve had no theme, and anyone trying to find one is grasping at straws.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let's continue with the Vault Boy example. Look, you can tie him to literally any of the DLC packs

Fallout is an RPG:
:ultjoker::ulthero::ultbyleth::ultsephiroth::ultpyra:

Fallout is western:
:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:

Vault Boy is blonde:
:ult_terry::ultminmin

This is my point. If you're looking for any port in a storm, you're going to see connections that might be entirely incidental, but are easily enough constructed that it makes the entire concept of using Miis as potential harbingers an even shakier proposition than it was before.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Some mii Costumes have themes, but not all of them. Joker, Hero, and Sephiroth have their company as a theme, and Pythra had Capcom as theirs. Terry also had a theme, being Fighting Games. Banjo, Byleth, Min Min, and Steve had no theme, and anyone trying to find one is grasping at straws.
Like I said, I don't think waves have to have a singular theme all the time. Miis can (for the most part) be on theme with the releasing character, in some way. The team chose those specific Miis to release alongside those specific characters, and I feel that they would try to make them at least semi-thematic.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Probably might not be the case but hypothetically imagine getting Nightmare to make up for Heihachi due to Tekken's gameplay being hard to implement into Smash and Soul's gameplay being easier.

That's how Nightmare wins baby and coming with the Lloyd Mii.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't mind more JRPG characters but can we get an JRPG character that isn't anime and a sword for once?
JRPG and anime pretty much go together 99% of the times, and the sword is the most common and practical weapon in fiction, so...

Anyway, if you don't want swords, I offer you Demi-fiend from the Shin Megami Tensei series:

And Estelle Bright, from the Trails series:

SKX31

Smash Master
laughs in Smash fandom calling Joker a swordsman
TBF some hitboxes make Joker certainly feel like a swordsman. Even without Arsene - with a notable example being Back Air:

er4b5cznmtn41.png

:4pacman:

Ok but what about Sir Arthur?
Umm.......Rex is all about helping Pyra and Mythra in Xenoblade 2's story and Arthur is all about helping Prin-Prin in his games?
Don't forget, he's also someone who battles Monsters. There's the contrived connection. :4dedede:

who the **** is mythra
foresight what? i only know of "SMASH FLARE!", "BLAZING END!" and "PROMINENCE REVOLT!":roll:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I wonder, if Bandai Namco was approached for Smash talks with Nintendo this time around, which franchise would they prioritize? Would it be a series they've spent extra money emphasizing on the Switch, or one which doesn't yet have solid footing on the platform? I wonder what their preferences would be. They would have to have some, not that Nintendo would care.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder, if Bandai Namco was approached for Smash talks with Nintendo this time around, which franchise would they prioritize? Would it be a series they've spent extra money emphasizing on the Switch, or one which doesn't yet have solid footing on the platform? I wonder what their preferences would be.
I guess any character they consider iconic to the company itself

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't mind more JRPG characters but can we get an JRPG character that isn't anime and a sword for once?
A JRPG character...who isn't anime? You realize anime is a very loose term for Japanese animation and is not just a single style, right? Unless you're referring to JRPG characters who originated from Western IPs like...oh no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom