• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I was thinking earlier today about non-videogame characters. I don't think it's going to happen, and I don't really want it to happen.

However, in a world where it could happen, who do you think Nintendo would go for? What do you think the most sensible decision for them would be?
When it comes to 4th-party characters, the first two that always pop into my mind are Goku and Spongebob.

Also, though part of me would be okay with 4th-parties, especially if they have enough history on Nintendo games, I still know that'd be a bad idea due to the chaos that would cause.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I was thinking earlier today about non-videogame characters. I don't think it's going to happen, and I don't really want it to happen.

However, in a world where it could happen, who do you think Nintendo would go for? What do you think the most sensible decision for them would be?
SpongeBob. He's iconic worldwide (I believe), he's been decently connected to the video game world, and he's been explicitly mentioned by Sakurai at least once.

Me personally, I'd love a Scrooge McDuck borrowing from the DuckTales game (and ideally the 2017 reboot as well, but I'm not that picky).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Byleth was disappointing in the sense that he carries the new trend of protagonists being the character who will eventually get in Smash. It makes sense, it's safe, and it's painfully predictable.

It's like the FE equivalent of starter Pokémon. At least in that case though we're guaranteed to have three choices with each new game. That's not always the case with FE, and it just makes the reveal even harder to get excited for. On top of expecting a character from the latest FE game, you're also fairly certain that you can predict EXACTLY who'll be chosen.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I know it'll never happen, and it's probably for the better. I was just asking what 4th party characters you would want to see, if Smash as a franchise had always allowed it.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Sakurai does not do hints in the POTD. Once, he posted a pic of a dev version of Battlefield and people assumed we were getting Battlefield DLC skins. Next day, Sakurai posted in English clarifying the post.
I still find this one picture of the clocks a little sus as it is a very clear reference to these Crash Bandicoot characters. Of course, just because Sakurai’s referencing Crash doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s playable, but if Crash does end up being playable, then it might be safe to say that this was a hint.
629EF005-AF01-4EBE-A160-9276269E1CA1.jpeg

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah I know it'll never happen, and it's probably for the better. I was just asking what 4th party characters you would want to see, if Smash as a franchise had always allowed it.
I forgot to mention that part of me would like it if Spongebob entered the roster, since that'd open up a lot of memes (especially the "Smash Bros. portrayed by Spongebob" memes).

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Personally, for a fourth party character, I'm going with Lupin III.
Lupinredjacket0.png
I feel Nintendo would go for a Japanese character, and he is definitely a pop culture icon. He's been around since like the 1970's. I know there was some inspiration, but it's still funny how thematically and mechanically identical he'd be to Joker... Even down to the name Arséne.

For a western character, Dr Doofenshmirtz. It would never happen but I'd like it.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still find this one picture of the clocks a little sus as it is a very clear reference to these Crash Bandicoot characters. Of course, just because Sakurai’s referencing Crash doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s playable, but if Crash does end up being playable, then it might be safe to say that this was a hint.
I think about this post from time to time, because I don't think it's a hint toward Crash - Sakurai has referenced plenty of other games in the past - but if it is indeed a reference (it would be one hell of a coincidence) it's one of the most abstract and specific references he's made thus far.

Like, I'm not seriously humoring the idea that Sakurai is hinting at Crash, since I'm willing to take his word that no picture is supposed to be a hint and in general that's just... not what he usually does, it's not in line with his character or professionalism. But yeah, that's one really on-the-nose reference compared to the more vague nods that could be unraveled from most other pictures. It's a bit of an outlier.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
A Gundam

But since their too big they will probably go with a SD Gundam

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'd hate this because it would essentially mean 3rd Party game characters would become increasingly unlikely..but if I had to choose any non-game characters..
Batman & Spider-Man

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Heck I’ll give you my top 5.

5) Luke Skywalker - Him holding a beam saber would be worth it. And going with Luke and not Anakin gives you nearly 40 years of gaming history.
4) Little Nemo - He’s from a comic strip that I think is 100 years old now. His game was awesome on the NES. He is the most retro of retro picks.
3) Monkey D Luffy - I like One Piece. His PSA was fun in Brawl hacks. I like Luffy. And I miss Jump ultimate Stars.
2) Mickey Mouse - He gets a full moveset that draws from Kingdom Hearts, Illusion platformer series, and Epic Mickey... and that’s pretty much a tribute to 30 years of gaming.
1) Popeye - A classic Nintendo arcade that gets brushed under the rug. Will never happen because I think Sony Pictures owns Popeye now.

Dishonorable mention: E.T. he knows what he did.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
gouk (1).png

For the memes.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The basic design for Young Link in Majora's Mask is the same (though his artwork seems less 'childish' in MM (I can't quite explain it..I think its the cheeks?) but his gear is all different from how it looks in Ocarina of Time..and, in most cases, are incarnations Young Link can actually canonically use, since he can not use the Bow & Hookshot in Ocarina of Time..so it would make more sense that he now can use them in Super Smash Bros.
To show what I mean, I'll depict the differences between the Kokiri Swords, Deku Shield & Hero's Shield, Fairy Bow & Hero's Bow, I'll also include the upgrades to the MM Kokiri Sword, the Razor Sword and the Gilded Sword, either of which could be used to give Young Link more distinctness and if the Gilded Sword was chosen, he would then be in league with Link & Toon Link by having his Ultimate Sword instead of his Starter Sword like he currently.
Majora's Mask doesn't have a Boomerang, so that one could either stay the one from Ocarina of Time or be replaced by an item used in Majora's Mask such as the Deku Nut or maybe a spinning move utilizing the Great Fairy Sword.
View attachment 313246View attachment 313260
View attachment 313250View attachment 313252View attachment 313255View attachment 313256View attachment 313257View attachment 313258
View attachment 313248View attachment 313249View attachment 313253View attachment 313254

I wasn't really meaning altering his moveset when I said I wanted him to depict Majora's Mask, just that I feel they should have given Young Link his Majora's Mask appearance for his equipment since its the game he's actually the primary Link of. They could retool his Final Smash to have him don the Fierce Deity Mask prior to performing the Triforce Slash just to make it a little more unique from Toon Link's, even if it would still be functionally the same.
Man, to wield the power of the Razor Sword and deflect projectiles by standing still with the Mirror Shield in Smash…

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Here is a list of non-video game characters that would be cool

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Monty Python and the Holy Grail's Black Knight
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Every Single Power Ranger
Bill S. Preston and Theodore Logan
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan
tbh, if there were ever a wrestler in a parallel universe that ever made it into Smash, my bet would be on Taker. While Hogan or someone like Cena is iconic, imo, Taker (whose very iconic in his own right) has a lot of moments and even fictional backstory the team could pull from for a moveset. And, imo, he's a bit more cartoonish and is more believable in a gaming setting. (Although, that's just me.)

Taker has many signature moves such as the flying clothesline, or snake eyes that could work as a dash attack and grab respectively. Leg drop could be down air. And then his special moves could factor in his paranormal side. So like his side special could be electricity. Down special could be fire in some form? And then the up special would be teleport a la Palutena or Mewtwo (since he's known for disappearing and stuff.)

Final Smash would most likely be a cutscene of the tombstone piledriver in the same ring incineroar uses. Or a cooler visual would be throwing your opponent off of Hell in a Cell a la Mankind at King of the Ring 98'.

Yes. For some reason, I really thought this all through :p

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So from the looks of it, Activision is in trouble right now. It's not just Toys For Bob, several studios owned by them are being relegated to just being support studios working on CoD from now on. And Bobby Kotick took a 50% pay cut too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So from the looks of it, Activision is in trouble right now. It's not just Toys For Bob, several studios owned by them are being relegated to just being support studios working on CoD from now on. And Bobby Kotick took a 50% pay cut too.
AAA games like CoD have progressively required more and more and more manpower for the past 15 or so years. There's a reason why Rockstar has gone from the PS2 having 5 GTA games to rereleasing GTAV again with no VI in sight.

Last edited:

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
The basic design for Young Link in Majora's Mask is the same (though his artwork seems less 'childish' in MM (I can't quite explain it..I think its the cheeks?) but his gear is all different from how it looks in Ocarina of Time..
I was always under the impression that, in game, he was a bit taller/older in Majora Mask. Which makes sense since the game isn't set exactly right away after Ocarina of Time. And the fact that he's slowly switching to his adult toolset fits into that narrative as well.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
AAA games like CoD have needed more and more and more manpower for the past 15 or so years. There's a reason why Rockstar has gone from the PS2 having 5 GTA games to rereleasing GTAV again with no VI in sight.
Except the Toys For Bob character designer implied they're only doing CoD now, complete with lay offs.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Man, to wield the power of the Razor Sword and deflect projectiles by standing still with the Mirror Shield in Smash…
Razor Sword is just cool..I really wish they had just let it be a typical sword upgrade instead of breaking after 100 attacks..I really like using it, but its never useful enough to warrant getting.
Mirror Shield would definitely be broken in Smash..just stand there..reflect Byleth's Arrows back at her XD

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
tbh, if there were ever a wrestler in a parallel universe that ever made it into Smash, my bet would be on Taker. While Hogan or someone like Cena is iconic, imo, Taker (whose very iconic in his own right) has a lot of moments and even fictional backstory the team could pull from for a moveset. And, imo, he's a bit more cartoonish and is more believable in a gaming setting. (Although, that's just me.)

Taker has many signature moves such as the flying clothesline, or snake eyes that could work as a dash attack and grab respectively. Leg drop could be down air. And then his special moves could factor in his paranormal side. So like his side special could be electricity. Down special could be fire in some form? And then the up special would be teleport a la Palutena or Mewtwo (since he's known for disappearing and stuff.)

Final Smash would most likely be a cutscene of the tombstone piledriver in the same ring incineroar uses. Or a cooler visual would be throwing your opponent off of Hell in a Cell a la Mankind at King of the Ring 98'.

Undertaker is really cool, I don't have an opinion on the guy but this video really convince me

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan
Godzilla would be my pick!
(Not on the list, but I would add him if there was an alternative universe)

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
While we're on the subject, who are your favorite video game composers?

Motoi Sakuraba, C418, and Naofumi Hataya for me. I could probably think of others, but those three mainly.
Geoff Knorr, Roland Rizzo and Phill Boucher are the three names I can think of. They're the main composers on Civilization VI which, as a big enjoyer of world music, I think is one of the best video game soundtracks ever composed.
This one in particular is one of my favourite single tracks ever:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I’ve been a huge wrestling fan for 30 years now and the Undertaker would be my pick as well for the reasons you mentioned. He is also one of my two all time favorites along with Shawn Michchaels.

Freduardo

Smash Champion

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan
wow, sounds like some kind of ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

but you’re missing Mr Rogers in a bloodstained sweater.

Inue Houji

Purplish Wig
While we're on the subject, who are your favorite video game composers?

Motoi Sakuraba, C418, and Naofumi Hataya for me. I could probably think of others, but those three mainly.
I don't really keep favorites, but Hideki Naganuma, Jake Kaufman, ZUN and Masayoshi Sasaki(MASA from the Warriors series) would probably be some of them.
If you're interested in some more obscure ones, there's Hayato Asano and Yousuke Yasui.
And if rhythm games count, Tomosuke Funaki, Camellia and Sakuzyo.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan
Mr. Rogers would beat all these dweebs, easy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Except the Toys For Bob character designer implied they're only doing CoD now, complete with lay offs.

Yeah it’s a shame that TFB is the only studio that developed for Crash the past 5 years. Activision has clearly played hot potato with the franchise, having VV, Beenox, King, and TFB all make games. Even if this is the current path forward for TFB (which could easily just be them between projects still) it’s nothing to go doomsday over.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

Gandalf The Gray
Gandalf The White
Benito Mussolini
Blue Meanie
Cowboy Curtis
Jambi The Jeanie
Robocop
The Terminator
Captain Kirk
Darth Vader
Lo Pan
Superman
Spock
The Rock
Doc Ock
Hulk Hogan
They would be too OP against Chuck Norris :4pacman:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I personally don't mind non-video game characters as long they have a video game of some form. I think Nintendo would pick Popeye or Hatsune Miku for 4th party characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
When it comes to Tales characters, I think Yuri might, might have an edge over Lloyd. Not that this matters too much, but Vesperia is on the Switch, and I'm sort of doubting that Lloyd will be the exception when it comes to returning Sm4sh miis.
While having your game on the console helps, I don't think this would really change anything to be honest.

I prefer Yuri over Lloyd, but if you say that others could say that Lloyd is the usual Smash request, not Yuri, and they're right.

You know what? Velvet inclusion is very possible. Let's not foget that Berseria was the latest game of the Tales series released when the FP characters were decided back in 2018. Tales of Arise was revealed to the public at 2019, so i think it would me much more likely to Bamco to release Velvet as a rep from the most recent Tales game back at the time FP was decided. This would also explain why Lloyd hasn't return yet, as he could return as a Mii costume alongside her.

As for Yuri and Lloyd popularity and likelyhood as characters, that's a huge barrier for Velvet, of course, but Sakurai is the one that usually prefers unique characters over niche ones - and that just screams Velvet.
I don't get the last party very well. While I agree that Velvet is kinda overlooked, in the context of Smash I'd say Velvet is the "niche" one, compared to Yuri and specially Lloyd. Not the other way around.
As for uniqueness, she would be more visually unique when it comes to attacks animations, sure, but that doesn't mean Yuri, Lloyd or other Tales characters with swords couldn't be unique as well.

I mean... the Tales rep would be unique by default, assuming they would bring their combos and their ability to chain specials.

Last edited:

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
Geoff Knorr, Roland Rizzo and Phill Boucher are the three names I can think of. They're the main composers on Civilization VI which, as a big enjoyer of world music, I think is one of the best video game soundtracks ever composed.
This one in particular is one of my favourite single tracks ever:
Cree Atomic theme best theme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom