• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Taking a gander and saying it's likely the arcade Heihachi he's had issues imagining how that would work in particular (considering how not only Smash's resident FGC characters, but also characters like :ultpacman: and :ultlittlemac: borrow a lot from their arcade appearances). I could be wrong here, but still - Sakurai seems to lean on those roots quite a bit (which is understandable given he himself was a long-time arcade goer etc).
Regardless, Heihachi is still out since he's back as a Mii once more. He'll only get his chance again if we miraclely get the announcement of an FP3 which isn't looking too likely.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
As of current the most likely fighting game characters I see is either Nightmare or Sol Badguy.

Recent speculation indicates we're probably not getting Chun-Li and Tekken is ruled out since Heihachi returned as a Mii and how Sakurai mentions that it was hard to implement its gameplay into Smash.
If we do get another fighting game character, I’m hoping we get someone “edgy” and badass. I feel Smash is still a bit lacking in these types of characters. My top three are Fulgore, Sub-Zero, and Nightmare but Sol is cool too. For less likely picks, Hisako, Glacius, Maya, Astaroth, and Vega would be awesome.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'll preface this by saying I have no skin in the game here. Never played any Bamco game except for Pac-Man and Dig Dug. In my opinion from a more casual outsider's perspective, with Tekken taken outback, I will say Dark Souls and Soul Calibur totally feel like the more likely and plausible as characters if we get someone else from Bandai Namco at this point.

They have way fewer games but as individual game sales go, they both seem to do better worldwide than Tales of at a glance. They also seem to bring in more variety to Smash. Nightmare is this meaty monstrosity while Chosen Undead seems to be a more classic knight-looking character. They feel like the character Sakurai and Nintendo would gravitate more too. They could get more attention in general than Lloyd or Yuri would. Plus I can imagine other people I know or the average joe hearing about Soul Calibur or Dark Souls. I'd be fine with any of them since I've never played their games but that's the impression I get.

Nightmare's design is such a cursed-looking thing, for lack of a better word, that I would have to disagree hard on him not standing out. I would prefer and feel Scorpion should be more likely but MK's got a big problem in the "worldwide" department.
Plus, we'd also be getting a rep that's both a villain and a hero (unless you count Nightmare and Siegfried as separate characters).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
For context, Kosuke Fujishima is a renowned Japanese manga artist who create the beloved manga series You're Under Arrest (1986-1992) and Oh My Goddess! (1988-2014). Because of these two series, his name became a brand, and therefore anything he create is now under his copyright ownership.

Starting from Tales of Phantasia (1994, which is the very first Tales game), he has been one of the first Tales character designer and is the one who gets the final say on whatever his character look based on their appearance, the color of their outfit, their body size, and maybe the character's personality as well. Basically, if he creates the character, then he has the right to make the final overall decision, and it isn't up to whoever hired him.

For example, if I wanted Yuri Lowell to have a pink hair color and white color version of his outfit, then I have to pass my idea to Fuijshima, not Bandai Namco, in order to get his approval of this idea.

This whole situation is similar to Koichi Sugiyama who owns the Dragon Quest music, and not Square Enix. At least, this is my educated guess on this problem.

• Main character designed by Fuijshima - Cress, Lloyd, Luke, Yuri, Jude, Sorey
  • Main character designed by Inomata (another copyright brand name) - Stahn, Reid, Veigue, Caius, Ruca, Kor, Asbel, Milla, Velvet, Mikleo
  • Main character designed by Okumura (not a brand name) - Emil, Marta, Ludger
Yeah, I was going to say this.

His name also appears in the credits and the menu of the games.

I don't think he would be a problem for a potential Tales character in Smash (if the representative is a character he designed, of course), at least there's not evidence that he could be problematic in some way, like Sugiyama and his musical compositions for Dragon Quest.

Only that according to what you said, Nintendo and Sakurai would have to contact him. Maybe even for the moveset or at least, about how the character's personality should be displayed.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do you think maybe Kousuke's involvement could have something to do with Lloyd's absence from Pac-Man's up taunt? I always thought that was weird.
Nah, it’s just because all of those sprites are assets from other games. Heihachi’s is from Tag Tournament 2 for example. As far as I’m aware Lloyd doesn’t have a little arcade-styled sprite like him or Prince. And the others are just retro arcade characters except one.

Don-Chan is the only one who doesn’t use a sprite at all, but instead used the little da-don icon. He’s an outlier in that regard but its such a simple symbol that it fits in there fine regardless.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For context, Kosuke Fujishima is a renowned Japanese manga artist who create the beloved manga series You're Under Arrest (1986-1992) and Oh My Goddess! (1988-2014). Because of these two series, his name became a brand, and therefore anything he create is now under his copyright ownership.

Starting from Tales of Phantasia (1994, which is the very first Tales game), he has been one of the first Tales character designer and is the one who gets the final say on whatever his character look based on their appearance, the color of their outfit, their body size, and maybe the character's personality as well. Basically, if he creates the character, then he has the right to make the final overall decision, and it isn't up to whoever hired him.

For example, if I wanted Yuri Lowell to have a pink hair color and white color version of his outfit, then I have to pass my idea to Fuijshima, not Bandai Namco, in order to get his approval of this idea.

This whole situation is similar to Koichi Sugiyama who owns the Dragon Quest music, and not Square Enix. At least, this is my educated guess on this problem.

• Main character designed by Fuijshima - Cress, Lloyd, Luke, Yuri, Jude, Sorey
  • Main character designed by Inomata (another copyright brand name) - Stahn, Reid, Veigue, Caius, Ruca, Kor, Asbel, Milla, Velvet, Mikleo
  • Main character designed by Okumura (not a brand name) - Emil, Marta, Ludger
Yeah, I was going to say this.

His name also appears in the credits and the menu of the games.

I don't think he would be a problem for a potential Tales character in Smash (if the representative is a character he designed, of course), at least there's not evidence that he could be problematic in some way, like Sugiyama and his musical compositions for Dragon Quest.

Only that according to what you said, Nintendo and Sakurai would have to contact him. Maybe even for the moveset or at least, about how the character's personality should be displayed.
Hmm, good to know. Regardless of if Lloyd comes back as a Mii or is finally added as a fighter, I think Fujishima and his music would be a logical reason as to why it took so long. All the other Miis didn't need a license, so they came out first and Lloyd was at the end.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Regardless, Heihachi is still out since he's back as a Mii once more. He'll only get his chance again if we miraclely get the announcement of an FP3 which isn't looking too likely.
Even if FP3 did happen I still doubt Heihachi’s chances since Sakurai said he had trouble translating Tekken’s 3D movements to Smash. It’s a lot more complicated than Min Min’s ARMS.

cothero

Smash Lord
I think Heihachi rests in Rex's case - if he's a Mii costume, then another character will get in. Remember Sakurai said that he had a hard time trying to figure out a moveset for Heihachi. As the protagonist, Jin Kazama seems the obvious choice here and i can easily see a moveset for him including wings as recovery.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I dunno... what bugs me about Nightmare is the fact that Tekken, a clearly bigger 3D fighter from the same company, was set aside for gameplay reasons. So I dunno why Sakurai would go for SC if he felt like Tekken was a no-go. In a sense, it would be like going for Dead Rising before Resident Evil when both are action horror games from the same company.

To be fair, though: we don't know which specific Tekken mechanic barred Sakurai's ideas - for all we know it was just the limb-based system and SC's horizontal and vertical attacks can be done just fine in his mind. And it's not like we don't have some good movesets for both.

I dunno, just spitballing over here.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think Heihachi rests in Rex's case - if he's a Mii costume, then another character will get in. Remember Sakurai said that he had a hard time trying to figure out a moveset for Heihachi. As the protagonist, Jin Kazama seems the obvious choice here and i can easily see a moveset for him including wings as recovery.
I dunno, I feel like Heihachi's issues would apply to the rest of the cast. Presumably, it comes from the four-limb system; Supposedly, even the most simple characters of Tekken 7 have about 60 moves alone, and I think that's only counting the combo strings and not the individual moves. I think Sakurai could try again and make it work now, but any issues would be shared between everyone.

It should also be noted that Rex actually was going to be added in FP2, even with the Mii Costume. The only reason he was ditched was the Switch not being strong enough to actually process him and Pyra together.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The issues Sakurai had are universal across the entire Tekken cast. Kuma and Jack aren't any easier to make "dance".

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai did revisit old ideas before tho, I do think therefore that he'd want to try to make Heiachi work. If only to stroke his own ego.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Supposedly, even the most simple characters of Tekken 7 have about 60 moves alone, and I think that's only counting the combo strings and not the individual moves
I've mentioned they could trim the fat by not adding the ten-hit combos before, but I'd also like to add more details:

1. Even with their large movesets, Tekken fans believe you really need to only focus on 15 or so, Lei being a notable exception because of all his stances. The Smash devs should make whatever Tekken character they go with's 15 best moves top priority over anything else, except aerials because they'd still need em.
2. These large movesets include throws that are executed by grabbing your opponent from the side. Obviously you can't do that in Smash so they're out.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
New topic: If Smash Run were to return to Ultimate, what common enemies would you like to see? I'd like to see all of the enemies from Smash Run, Subspace Emissary, and even Melee's Adventure Mode return. As for new enemies, here's my list:

That giant R.O.B. that Captain Falcon Falcon Punched in that one cutscene (though it might be better off as a boss)
Mr. Game & Watch clones
Risen (from Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Adrestian and Church soldiers (both from Fire Emblem Three Houses)
Scorpions, Tarantulas, Jellyfish, and Wasp Nests (from Animal Crossing)
Pigmask Troops
Crazy Cars from WarioWare
Cactuars
Tonberries
Shinra Troops (as well as soldiers and human henchmen from other Final Fantasy games, such as Alexandrian Soldiers, Yevon Warrior Monks, and Secutors (from Lightning Returns))
Medusa Heads
Slimes (including Metal Slimes and Slime Knights)
Various Angels of Paradiso
Mechawfuls and Shroobs (from Mario & Luigi)
Paper versions of Mario Mooks
Badniks (including Egg Pawns), G.U.N. robots and soldiers, Black Arms soldiers, and Iblis's Minions (from Sonic)
Gerudo Thieves
Yiga Clansmen
Sheikahtech Guardians
Jacks (from Tekken)
Lizardmen (from Soulcalibur)
Space Pirates (from Metroid)
Various Banjo-Kazooie enemies (including Bigbutts, Billy Bobs, Jippo Jims, and Guvnors; also include Tintops and Spy-I-Cams)
Those clown cars enemies from Pac-Man World (I'd also want them to laugh everytime they damage a player)
Wolfens and Arwings
SharpClaws from Star Fox Adventures
Robo-Pirates from Rayman 2
Martians and Rebel soldiers (both from Metal Slug)
Various animatronics from Five Nights at Freddy's

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
New topic: If Smash Run were to return to Ultimate, what common enemies would you like to see? I'd like to see all of the enemies from Smash Run, Subspace Emissary, and even Melee's Adventure Mode return. As for new enemies, here's my list:

That giant R.O.B. that Captain Falcon Falcon Punched in that one cutscene (though it might be better off as a boss)
Mr. Game & Watch clones
Pigmask Troops
Cactuars
Tonberries
Shinra Troops (as well as soldiers and human henchmen from other Final Fantasy games, such as Alexandrian Soldiers, Yevon Warrior Monks, and Secutors (from Lightning Returns))
Medusa Heads
Badniks (including Egg Pawns), G.U.N. robots and soldiers, Black Arms soldiers, and Iblis's Minions (from Sonic)
Gerudo Thieves
Yiga Clansmen
Sheikahtech Guardians
Jacks (from Tekken)
Various Banjo-Kazooie enemies (including Bigbutts, Billy Bobs, Jippo Jims, and Guvnors; also include Tintops and Spy-I-Cams)
Those clown cars enemies from Pac-Man World (I'd also want them to laugh everytime they damage a player)
Wolfens and Arwings
Oh, that would be really neat! The Creeper from Minecraft would be fun to try and fight.

If we're gonna include series that don't have fighters, seeing a Fallout enemy like a Super Mutant or a Cuphead enemy like the Ghosts would be so awesome. The Cowplant or a Vampire from The Sims would be pretty cool too.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Mr. Game & Watch clones
Pigmask Troops
Cactuars
Tonberries
Medusa Heads
Gerudo Thieves
Yiga Clansmen
Sheikahtech Guardians
Jacks (from Tekken)
Wolfens and Arwings
Smash Run Enemies:
Goob (Luigi’s Mansion)
Burt (Yoshi)
Chuchu (Zelda)
Bokoblin (Zelda)
Lynel (Zelda)
Sphere Doomer (Kirby)
NESP (Kirby)
Fiery Blowhog (Pikmin)
Yellow Wollywog (Pikmin)
Medusal Slurker (Pikmin)
Octotrooper/Octocopper (Splatoon)
Chum (Splatoon)
Maws (Splatoon)
The Cell (ARMS)
Creeper (Minecraft)
Slime (Minecraft)
Robot Scout (Team Fortress)
Robot Medic (Team Fortress)

Smash Run Bosses:
Bashmaster, the Unbreakable (DK)
Hinox (Zelda)
Hedlok (ARMS)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What I'm thinking too. So if we do get a Tekken character its most certainly Jin at this point.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

Sorry, I just had to post this.

And by both, I mean a mixture of MInecraft Slime and Dragon Quest Slime. :troll:
Both would be good. Smash Run just doesn't have an enemy that splits into smaller ones when defeated, so I felt like MC slime would be a natural choice.
Then again, Magma Cubes could function the same way... Yeah Magma Cubes are probably a better choice for this one.

Ivander

Smash Legend
New topic: If Smash Run were to return to Ultimate, what common enemies would you like to see? I'd like to see all of the enemies from Smash Run, Subspace Emissary, and even Melee's Adventure Mode return.
All Smash Run enemies and:
:ultdk:: Zinger and Klaptrap.
:ultlink:: Bokoblin, Moblin and Lynel.
:ultsamus:: Space Pirates and Alpha, Gamma, Zeta and Omega Metroids
:ultkirby:: Sir Kibble, Wheelie and Chef Kawazaki
:ultpikachu:: Dittos and Hydreigon
:ultness:: Li'l UFOs and Atomic Power Robots
:ultmarth:: Risen and Faceless
:ultwario:: Pirate Gooms and Hammer Bots.
:ultolimar:: Burrowing Snagret
:ultshulk::Mechons(both M64X and M53X) and Gogals(with Territorial Rotbart as an Event Enemy)
:ultsonic:: Moto Bug, Buzz Bombers and to SCMJohnny's dismay, Slicers.
:ultcloud:: Cactuars, Magic Pots, Sweepers, Goblins, Hell House, Behemoth.
:ultinkling:: Octotroopers, Shielded Octotroopers, Octocopters, Octolings(the enemy versions from Splatoon 1)
:ultsimon:: Axe Armors, Medusa Heads, Bats, Armor Knights, Mummies, Slogra, Gaibon, Sword Lords, Werewolves.
:ulthero3:: Slimes, Slime Knights, Metal Slimes, King Slimes, Drackies, Hacksaurus.
:ultbanjokazooie:: Buzzbombs, Gruntlings, Grublings, Beehives.
:ultsteve:: Creepers, Skeletons, Spiders, Zombies, Endermen.
Monster Hunter: Jaggis, Great Jaggis, Velociprey and Velocidromes.

And aside from the listed above, Assist Trophies also appear as Event Enemies you need to find and defeat.

Dukefire

Smash Master
:ultshulk::Mechons(both M64X and M53X) and Gogals(with Territorial Rotbart as an Event Enemy)
:ultinkling:: Octotroopers, Shielded Octotroopers, Octocopters, Octolings(the enemy versions from Splatoon 1)
:ultsimon:: Axe Armors, Medusa Heads, Bats, Armor Knights, Mummies, Slogra, Gaibon, Sword Lords, Werewolves.
:ulthero3:: Slimes, Slime Knights, Metal Slimes, King Slimes, Drackies, Hacksaurus.

And aside from the listed above, Assist Trophies also appear as Event Enemies you need to find and defeat.
:ultpit:: what about the orne?

SKX31

Smash Master
Enemies that haven't been mentioned so far:

• Zerglings and related Zerg units like the Hydralisks. Bonus points if a KEKEKE (ㅋㅋㅋ, yes, Korean, usually associated with the tacic) can be heard whenever a Zerg swarm appears.
  • More MH enemies, maybe those from Rise?
  • Star Fox enemies, specifically those from Starwing the SNES game and Star Fox 64 Lylat Wars.*
  • Dota 2's Roshan or his "sibling" LoL's Baron Nashor as a boss. If LoL you can also add the various buff-granting Dragons.
  • And of course, the Nintendo consoles themselves as secret bosses. :4pacman:

*(Yeah, the names of the first two Star Fox games in EU and ANZ were Starwing and Lylat Wars - with the former head of StarFox dev Argonaut confirming the name changes was due to Nintendo noticing a German company named StarVox).

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So the Sonic Card game had it's Boxart revealed and there's something interesting about it

0xed6rm9dct61.png

For one Eggman isn't on the Boxart, though that could be because he's the source of the enemies in the game and not playable. Still I would Imagine he'd be on the Boxart

However the more interesting addition is Blaze. Blaze is a well liked character, and probably the character I've seen the least hate for, but she does not make any frequent appearances like that. The fact she got a Playable spot over someone like Silver, Rouge, Metal Sonic, etc is very surprising. Why could this be important

Zippo

Zippo is a Leaker that you guys probably familiar with (for better or worse), and recently he's been leaking Sonic game news. one of the things he mentioned was a 2D Sonic game in the style of Sonic Rush/Advance, but with the more modern Cast (so not a Classic Sonic game), and multiple playable characters like the mentioned Rush/Advance series

The Addition of Blaze on this Card game boxart might be a sign that there is truth to this, since Sonic Rush is Blaze's Debut game, and she's associated with that type of gameplay.

What does this have to do with Smash

Well we know Sonic 30th anniversary coming up. Considering the Legacy, Popularity, and Iconic status of the Sonic Series, the fact that Another Sonic character (Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, and more recently Eggman) have been very popular requests for Smash, and that Sega loves licensing out, that's good reasons for Nintendo to look at another Sonic character, especially during the anniversary cycles when Sega usually drops new content for the franchise

The Smash website since FP2 started has been advertising games for the DLC Characters, by having a link to the Eshop. Since we probably are gonna get Game announcements in the Anniversary month of Sonic, which is June, this would be good time to announce the 2D Game, since if true, it's much more likely to be completed than whatever the 3D Game is. If we getting another Sonic character, they could advertise this game on the Smash website. Sonic sells well on Nintendo, the best on Nintendo

Attachments

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:ultpit:: what about the orne?
They reused plenty of enemies from KIU already. I'm sure more would still get added, but it should be obvious why someone would skip KIU. Anyway to add to these lists:

:ultpikachu:: Zubat, Voltorb
:ultrob:: Smicks
:ult_terry: (counting as all of SNK): Rebel soldiers, Mars People, Kyo clones

Technomage

Smash Champion
They reused plenty of enemies from KIU already. I'm sure more would still get added, but it should be obvious why someone would skip KIU. Anyway to add to these lists:

:ultpikachu:: Zubat, Voltorb
:ultrob:: Smicks
:ult_terry: (counting as all of SNK): Rebel soldiers, Mars People, Kyo clones
Ah, I forgot about Metal Slug's human and martian soldiers; those are definitely enemies I would have added to my list if I remembered them. Well, I'll be going back to my list to add them, now.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Mr. Game & Watch clones
Pigmask Troops
Cactuars
Tonberries
Medusa Heads
Gerudo Thieves
Yiga Clansmen
Sheikahtech Guardians
Jacks (from Tekken)
Wolfens and Arwings
Martians and Rebel soldiers (both from Metal Slug)
I have a lot of ideas
I would keep all the old ones.

Bommerang Bro
Sledge Bro
Thwomp
Dr.Mario Viruses
Shroob's

Klaptrap

Zebesian

Mik

Jack Frost
Black Frost
Pixie
Pyro Jack
Sandman
Black Ooze

Gibdo
Lizalfos
Stalchild
ChuChu
Guardian
Bokoblin
Moblin

Slime
She-Slime
Cruelcumber
Golem
Dracky
King Slime
Metal Slime
Liquid Metal Slime
Great Saber Cat
Mimic
Sacksquatch

Primid
Rob Launcher
Feyesh

Chuchu
Chef Kawasaki

Bro Team
Pig Mask

Risen
Demonic Beasts

Egg Pawn
Motobug
Crabmeat
Spinner
Gun Beetle

Sniper Joe

The Cell

Mars People

Creeper
Skeleton
Spider
Cave Spider
Zombie Piglin
Blaze
Ghast
Slime
Magma Cube

Smokey Progg

Kritter
Klaptrap
Tiki Buzz

Medusa Head
Tsuchinoko
Yorrick
Creature
Flea man
Hyena W Gun
Alraune
Mandrake

Hitmontop
Croagunk
Persian
Meowth
Koffing
Carnivine
Cacnea
Amoonguss
Salandit
Parasect
Electivire
Crabominable
Golisopod
Perrserker
Sinistea

Tinkerbat
Hoplin
Null-sector Bastion
Cacodemon
Bouncepot
Twerky

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
New topic: If Smash Run were to return to Ultimate, what common enemies would you like to see?
An unorthodox answer: there’s way too many mooks to jot down, so here’s a different idea. Whenever the “WANTED!“ event occurs, the target wouldn’t a powerful enemy or miniboss, but instead a KO-able Assist Trophy. A lot of them are hard to fight as is, so it’d be even more rewarding to take one of them down rather than some souped up elite minion.

Ivander

Smash Legend

I couldn't finish this list earlier as I had to help with a long job. But I did remember some more enemies.
:ultfox:: Aparoids and Winged Aparoids.
:ultmegaman:: Sniper Joes, Picket Men and Big Eyes.
Mysterious Murasame Castle: Ninjas and Jealous Spirits.
Balloon Fight: Balloon Birds.
Golden Sun: Ghosts, Gnomes and Drone Bees.
Bomberman: Onils, Bakudas.
Shovel Knight: Goldarmors and Wizzems.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I couldn't finish this list earlier as I had to help with a long job. But I did remember some more enemies.
:ultfox:: Aparoids and Winged Aparoids.
:ultmegaman:: Sniper Joes, Picket Men and Big Eyes.
Mysterious Murasame Castle: Ninjas and Jealous Spirits.
Balloon Fight: Balloon Birds.
Golden Sun: Ghosts, Gnomes and Drone Bees.
Bomberman: Onils, Bakudas.
Shovel Knight: Goldarmors and Wizzems.
How could you forget to add the best Golden Sun enemy?

BoxingAnt.jpg

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's been a long time since I lat played Golden Sun. Sure it was on Wii U, but that was like, 7-8 years ago.

If I have to feel old, I'll make everybody feel old too.
Well, I played the Golden Sun games dozens of times ever since owning both games on the GBA 20 or so years ago (nice try on making me feel old btw :mybodyisreggie:), so I'd be able to remember better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom