• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
In your opinion, which Indie character(s) may have the best shot as a fighter? If not, who will become the next Mii Costume?
Depends on how daring we are.

I'd pin the biggest indie candidates as Reimu and Shovel Knight, for the sheer reach of the former's fanworks and the latter's prevalence in the Western indie scene. However, their high highs are countered by low lows; Touhou's rather niche in the West, and SK's an Assist Trophy, which may or may not end up deconfirming him. I'm personally open to taking risks after we got people like Joker and Min Min, but I can also see why people would be hesitant.

For safer options, I'd go for Shantae or the Knight from Hollow Knight. While they aren't quite as big as the above two, they're still decently big by indie standards, and don't have such polarizing downsides to hinder them.

Another one to note is Quote. Cave Story's a majorly influential indie, and I seriously doubt Nicalis would be dumb enough to ghost Nintendo (And even if they do, there's the ninjas to strongarm them into cooperation). However, Cave Story as a franchise is mostly limited to remakes and ports, so he'd be more of a legacy pick.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
In your opinion, which Indie character(s) may have the best shot as a fighter? If not, who will become the next Mii Costume?
Yooka Laylee so we can have a Rare trilogy.

King K Rool: Scares the Kongs
Banjo & Kazooie: Reunites with the Kongs
Yooka & Laylee: Confuses the Kongs

7NATOR

Smash Master
To be fair, we caught on in time to predict Rex, and we would've been right if the Switch was strong enough to handle all the polygons. I'm counting Pyra and Mythra as a win, because either way we were still predicting an XC2 rep.

The problem is that we've exhausted all the obvious second-chancers. Monster Hunter matched up with Final Fantasy not having much content, and look where we are now. Decidueye was dropped in favor of Incineroar, Hayabusa was explicitly deconfirmed by the devs, and Porky doesn't have much going for him beyond the lack of Spirit, which is seeming especially weak now that Spirits are confirmed to be promotable. I'm thinking that the last two characters, or at least one of them, won't fit in with the Second Chance Theory.
There's more characters that could fit into Second Chance theory I have in mind. Of course you said obvious so on that front, then yeah the options are kind of exhausted

FP2 has been silent for leakers, even on 4chan or gamefaqs. You still have some text leaks but they all got destroyed by Pyra/Mythra.
Really, Steve was just ""leaked"" by Vergeben two years before his inclusion, and if you want to push you could include Sephiroth who was in his list of Square characters. But I seriously doubt he or anyone else knew he would be in another DLC pack.

The same situation as post Ryu in Smash four. Just waiting. With no hints. Just us. Without any indication or leaks for Smash speculation.
We are

On Smash 4 DLC, we would have been completely in the dark if the Dev Team hadn't messed up and had Data on Ryu and Roy in one of the update files

In regards to a leak, you can separate how they get their flow of Info into 4 main categories

-Nintendo Messed up (Belmonts, Terry)
-The Law/Negotiation part of Nintendo or another Company (Hero, Banjo)
-The Tester division of Smash (ESRB, Ken, Plant)
-The Showcase Knowers (Ultimate E3, Byleth, Steve)

I think because there are probably way less testers than in Base game (Meaning it would be much easier to pin down who's leaking), It's gonna be hard to use that division to Leak

Nintendo messing up is always possible, but I think they will now try to be more cautious and make sure stuff like that doesn't leak again

Showcase Knowing is possible even through DLC, as that's how certain leakers knew about Byleth ahead of time, and how we knew about Steve ahead of time as well. the problem with this is that we only know like Minutes before the actual reveal. at that point there's not really any point to look at the leak

The Main thing to count on for DLC Leaks is the knowledge of Negotiations either from Nintendo's Side or another Company. Steve and Sephiroth were names thrown around because they had been heard, likely around in the negotiation division of either Nintendo or the home company. they were just thrown around very early around Base game/FP1, so when other characters from those Companies got in, they got largely thrown out.

The problem though is that it's hard to know first whether the info someone is spewing out about Negotiations is true, and even if it is, it's unknown about the Intricacies , the timing, etc of the actual talks and such.

It's why I pay attention to the Vergeben List despite it intentionally being only for CP5, since if they getting their info from the Negotiation front, whether the source actually works in that department, or just getting info from that department, there's likely to be more going on than what the leakers are assuming. It's the same case that happened with Steve and Sephiroth

Pillow

Smash Lord
Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight and Quote have decent chances as costumes. I don’t think we’ll get an Indie playable character but I guess I’d rate Shantae or Quote the highest.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Hey guys, sorry for posting on the wrong topic. That was embarrassing on my part.

I know we have been through this before, but who would you like to see as the final two characters in the pass, and who would you like to see if there was more DLC after that somehow?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Hey guys, sorry for posting on the wrong topic. That was embarrassing on my part.

I know we have been through this before, but who would you like to see as the final two characters in the pass, and who would you like to see if there was more DLC after that somehow?
Any two of:
  • Sora
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
As for more DLC? On one hand, more characters is always cool unless it's an Assist character being DLC in the same game as being an Assist, but on the other...speculation has just gotten more and more exhausting.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Any two of:
  • Sora
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dr. Eggman
As for more DLC? On one hand, more characters is always cool unless it's an Assist character being DLC in the same game as being an Assist, but on the other...speculation has just gotten more and more exhausting.
Yeah, speculation is getting old, but I just couldn't help but ask the hypothetical question anyway, if that's okay to begin with.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Pyramid Head
These are definitely my two never evers, but I’ll still pray for them nonetheless.
If we get another pass after that, my ideal choices would be.
  • Porky
  • Zagreus
  • Scorpion
  • Dr Robotnik
  • Doomguy

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

final two of this pass? any combination of Reimu, Octoling, Neku, Ahri, or KOS-MOS.

if they do more DLC, any of the above five that weren't the last two of pass 2, maybe a T-elos echo for KOS-MOS, and Elma. After that, I don't really care who else happens. I guess Fiora would be nice but not counting on her unless Ult DX happens or something

which tbh, i think Ult DX may be better than pass 3 or more DLC for the vanilla version. DX would add more single player/base game exclusive content as well

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
final two of this pass? any combination of Reimu, Octoling, Neku, Ahri, or KOS-MOS.

if they do more DLC, any of the above five that weren't the last two of pass 2, maybe a T-elos echo for KOS-MOS, and Elma. After that, I don't really care who else happens. I guess Fiora would be nice but not counting on her unless Ult DX happens or something

which tbh, i think Ult DX may be better than pass 3 or more DLC for the vanilla version. DX would add more single player/base game exclusive content as well
Oh, I would love an Ultimate DX for sure! I wonder what are the odds for that happening, though?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

The Noid!

What? I'm trying to make your mistake on-topic.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
This isn’t really related to anything aside from people bringing up Dr. Eggman, but the idea of him in Smash has really grown on me. I initially didn’t think too much of him, but after reading a couple discussions here on what he could do and seeing Delzethin’s moveset idea video, I’ve come to realize just how much of a wellspring of creativity he would be. The idea of him riding a custom-built walker that uses his gadgets from across the series would allow for so many neat references. Not to mention he’d come with a Sonic stage that isn’t “____ Hill Zone”. The Death Egg would be cool, but the modern Sonic fan in me would love to see Eggmanland tbh.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ

Hey, it happens!

For the final two, I simply have to go with Crash and Master Chief. It would make Smash feel pretty much complete to me.

Beyond that... well there's 22 other characters that I'd like to see, so I suppose I'll just start with the rest of my top 10 (meaning aside from Crash and MC):

Ryu Hayabusa, Leon Kennedy, Tracer, Kratos, Viewtiful Joe, Dante, Rayman, and Bomberman.

Technomage

Smash Champion
I'm thinking that the last two characters, or at least one of them, won't fit in with the Second Chance Theory.
Yeah, I'm expecting at least one of the two to be a trend-breaker, just like Byleth.

Okay, I'll give my thoughts on that topic again (especially since we don't have much new info to talk about). My two most wanted characters for the end of FP2 are Crash and Eggman.

As for extra characters if we'd be getting more DLC after FP2, going by the CSS Limit theory, I'd say my most wanted 4 are:

Yuri Lowell
Lara Croft
Chun-Li
Freddy Fazbear Goomba (Forgot to take into account the Stage Select Screen Limit theory)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if we get four more according to CSS limit theory, ill assume a 3 character pass with no spirit boards, just stages and music; and one more individual DLC.

my prediction for the last two of pass 2:
Reimu
Octoling

Fighter's Pass Mini (Last pass, comes with stage and music but no spirit board):
Ahri (or Neku)
Elma
KOS-MOS

one more individual DLC (the true last DLC):
T-elos (KOS-MOS echo, though would be cool with semi clone too) if not her then Violet (Joker echo/semi clone)

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Obviously going with the most realistic combo of Master Chief and Dota 2 representative baybee. :4pacman:

Nah, but I'd love to see those two as the final two, with KOS-MOS as a third choice. My only concern is if the final two characters have even jankier comeback mechanics than Arsene / OWA* (or if the final two are truly busted) but I'm feeling decently confident that Sakurai and co won't go there.

As for another pass, I'm pretty unsure of who else I'd include alongside say KOS-MOS. Dante or Amaterasu, Ring Fit or Style Savvy, LoL champion, Kratos / Lara Croft as well as a Blizzard character are pretty high up there, and would probably be included in my own designed Pass.

*I was listening to the most recent Tweek Talks podcast, where they discussed comeback mechanics:

They focused on :ultjoker:'s Arsene and :ultsephiroth:'s One Wing in this episode, but :ultwario: 's Waft and :ult_terry: 's GO were also talked about. Also included is :ultlucario: 's Aura (very small mention).

So to drive some more discussion:

Are you personally okay with how comeback mechanics have been handled in Smash Bros? Any particular favorites / least favorites?

And, could one of your most wanted come with one?

For me, I'm pretty ambivalent on comeback mechanics. Most of them have counterplay to them (the exceptions being Waft and practically OWA getting online) and there are only a few aspects that can be overbearing when playing. Waft and GO moves require the user to hit them - so the counterplay becomes avoiding - which is fair - while Lucario (and to a lesser extent Joker / Sephiroth) might wind up losing stocks not long after and thus not get to do much with the comeback mechanics. On the other hand, the comeback mechanics can hit extremely hard like a gutpunch: the podcast focused on OWA since the massive 1.3X damage boost it brings allows Sephiroth's Smash attacks to hit harder than :ultganondorf: 's and the triple jump is a bonkers tool that overshadows :ultcharizard: 's and :ultbanjokazooie: 's own triple jumps). Sephiroth can also be difficult to edgeguard thanks to his jumps, wall-cling and Octaslash covering the ledge, which makes it pretty frustrating to get rid of OWA (KOing him) sometimes.

So in the future... I honestly want to see them toned down a tad, but it isn't a bad idea in theory to have them.

As for my most wanted... Dante has Devil Trigger, which could be a comeback mechanic by virtue of slightly increased damage output, temporary flight, slight knockback resistance increase and maybe small but somewhat noticeable healing factor. It would be tricky to balance, but it's possible IMHO.

(Edit: Damnit, forgot :ultlittlemac: 's KO Punch. That to me feels like a similar way to Terry's GO, except it's oftentimes once per stock for way more reward on hit.)

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
if we get four more according to CSS limit theory, ill assume a 3 character pass with no spirit boards, just stages and music; and one more individual DLC.

my prediction for the last two of pass 2:
Reimu
Octoling

Fighter's Pass Mini (Last pass, comes with stage and music but no spirit board):
Ahri
Elma
KOS-MOS

one more individual DLC (the true last DLC):
T-elos (KOS-MOS echo, though would be cool with semi clone too) if not her then Violet (Joker echo/semi clone)
Ah, I forgot about the stage limit theory. I'm going to change my final 4 picks, by replacing Freddy Fazbear with another generic enemy (like Piranha Plant). My common mook pick for the 4th slot would be a Goomba, since it'd be even funnier than PP was.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Chosen Undead and Reimu. As for other characters, I'll just wait and see what happens.

And yeah, we're going to be repeating this song and dance number a lot while waiting for the next set of news.

Dukefire

Smash Master
If discussing Comeback mechanics, I can give two.

Dante: yes, he will have the Devil Trigger Transformation. It will buff his speed, attacks, and empower weapons with a healing factor (maybe 0.2 per second) as long it is active. For him to activate it, it must be charged up by either being aggressive or taking damage to build the gauge up.

Eggman (Pinch Mode): When over a certain percent, Eggman will start to get frustrated and his mech's attacks will become faster and more powerful. (Fitting since he has to contend against the Blue Blur) The trade off is that the attacks could miss more often with longer end lag as the mech itself is being pushed to the absolute limit.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Hey, I know this question is gonna be about a pretty minor thing that wouldn't really mean much, but: Similar to the unique death animations/explosions of Mega Man (explodes into many orbs), Inkling (ink explosion followed by fading squid ghost), and Terry (whose cap falls off, vanishing once his body explodes), what characters, whether already in the game or not in the game yet, would you like to see unique death animations/explosions for? My ideas:

Crash: Shoes and eyeballs get sent flying back after Blast Line explosion.
Paper Mario: Instant KO explosion includes scattered fragments of paper.
Bowser Jr./Koopalings: Final Stamina KO where its Clown Car explodes upon stamina going down to zero, before the body explodes.
Dr. Eggman: Same as above happening to Eggwalker.
Pac-Man: Original death sound playing upon explosion or blasting off into the background.
Wario: Explosion involving fart clouds and fart sounds.
Piranha Plant: Upon explosion or blasting off, makes death sound most Piranha Plants make in New Super Mario Bros.
Steve: Blocky-looking explosion/twinkle.
Sonic: Rings scattered upon explosion.
Pit/Dark Pit/Banjo/Winged Form Sephiroth/Falco/Duck Hunt: Explosion includes a few scattered feathers of the respective character's color.

Wearing shoes/gloves and nothing else hasn't stopped several other characters.

Sonic Vs Pac-Man: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Smash Mode Gameplay - YouTube
Not only that, but they even had Krystal going commando. XD

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Final two characters
-Darkrai
- MapleStory rep

More DLC after
-Boyfriend
-Dungeon Fighter Rep
-Under Night in Birth rep

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I think Chosen Undead would have the opposite of a comeback mechanic, so that would be fresh for DLC. I know I say it a lot, but they're both my MW and my prediction. I may be biased, but others here also think they have a decent chance, so we'll see.

As for my prediction of the other remaining character, I agree that it could fall outside of the "second chance theory". An Activision-Blizzard character is probable imo, but I don't really think it's going to be Crash (not sure why, mainly a gut feeling) if we get one at all.

If there's DLC after FP2, I really wish Undertale got more, and Professor Layton would be cool.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
At this point, I feel like none of my most-wanteds have a chance at being the last two Fighters, so I'd be content to see a few of them get the Mii treatment.

It'd be cool if Ayumi Tachibana get a Gunner costume, with her flashlight acting as the gun.

I'd also love to see a Shantae costume with a legitimate, purple ponytail wig. Honestly, she's a versatile enough character that she could fit all three archetypes. And we already have SO MANY bland anime protag wigs of varying browns, blues, and blacks. A bright purple would be a welcome addition.

I doubt Square Enix will provide any more content, but a Neku outfit with his bright orange hair and headphones would also be dope. Honestly, the entire TWEWY cast would've made for awesome Mii costumes...

And look...honestly? All cards on the table here? I REALLY wish we got a Stanley the Bugman Gunner costume. Just the overalls and the old-fashioned bug sprayer as the gun. I have no clue why I want that so badly. But I do. It's my weird burden to bear.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I don’t think any of these will actually happen but as far as what I want most:

Final Two
Rash/Pimple/Zitz (Battletoads)
Magus (Chrono Trigger)

More DLC
Zegram Ghart (Rogue Galaxy)
Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
Xemnas (Kingdom Hearts)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)

I would be really surprised if any of these are on anyone else’s top 10 most wanted. There are tons of characters I really want so it was really hard to narrow down to just 7 characters.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I feel like we should all know me for Touhou and Ys by now. reimu and Adol as the final two would be the dream.

SWSU

Smash Apprentice

10. Crash Bandicoot
11. Master Chief

Extra DLC
  • Jill Valentine
  • Tracer
  • Shantae
  • Spyro
  • Tails
  • Monokuma

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
In regards to comeback mechanics I don't have that many issues with them existing. However, I'll elaborate on the ones we do have.

:ultlucario: My general opinion is this character is a MESS to begin with. From the ground up he's just weird and hasn't transitioned well, IMO, from game to game since Brawl. His comeback mechanic, Aura, just makes little sense from the getgo. I don't get what they were going for in terms of 'flavor' for how it functions. Aura in general is just incredibly vague, even in Pokémon. So HOW Aura gives him some super power buff when he's hurting is just strange. Is it supposed to represent 'fighter spirit' and the more 'down and out he is' the more 'determined' he gets? I could see such a thing working on a better character.

As for the mechanic itself it feels a little outdated. Everyone now gets 'Aura' to some degree due to the existence of Rage. While Rage has been toned down in Ultimate, in 4 it was just made Aura gross since it gave Lucario 'double rage'. I feel Lucario should ditch the 'Aura' gimmick and just get a BETTER move set that doesn't rely so heavily on Aura to be potent. When your 'comeback mechanic' forces you to take so much damage your core abilities are poor from the start to compensate for how 'good' they'll eventually become is a counter intuitive 'comeback mechanic'.

:ultsephiroth: OWA is potent but it's also attached to a character who dies to a stiff breeze (And OWA does make him lighter still, does it not?). It can make him more of a glass cannon than he is. My experience with it has been limited to online and I've, personally, found OWA to not be that much of an issue. My opinion could change over time as offline becomes regular again.

:ultjoker: I had major issues with Arsen and I still do to a degree. I feel it's too easy to get and get multiple times per stock. Considering Joker is pretty darn solid WITHOUT Arsen, amplifying his abilities is nuts when it doesn't even take much to trigger Arsen to begin with. They've tried to weak how much he gains/loses in meter but I still feel it's iffy. I'm honestly not even sure where to begin on tweaking the Arsen concept. Cuz Joker gets real cheesy once he goes Super Saiyan and just stray hits can kill or deal obscene damage for reasons.

:ult_terry: GO! as a comeback mechanic is, at the very least, 'locked' behind a high percentage AND inputs to perform any of his moves. He doesn't really get an inherent global buff to all his stuff unlike the prior examples. Granting him access to two super moves that does require some execution to take advantage of a fair way to give him some form of 'comeback mechanic'. Not to mention his GO! moves on whiff are pretty punishable meaning he doesn't get anything 'for free'.

:ultlittlemac: KO Punch, despite being a one button command for a comeback mechanic is balanced purely by the fact we're talking about Little Mac. With how rarely Mac will actually activate it and even more likely he'll lose it before he even gets to use it (Either being hit or just being dead as soon as it activated) the move is a non-issue on him. It's also a bit flavorful from his own series. It truly is a 'flex move' if you do manage to hit people with it to begin with.

Edit 1:
:ultwario: Waft is an interesting beast. It's a bit obscene how strong it is...though it's balanced out to some degree by the time-per-charge factor (or if he eats to help quicken it, so avoiding giving him items to nom). It's a mechanic you can, as the player and the opponent, plan around because the move is static. You can also gauge when he is at his most deadly and when he isn't (Because it's timed, not based on interactions outside of item eating). However I wouldn't call Wario's Waft a comeback mechanic. His Waft doesn't charge faster if he gets hit. It doesn't charge faster if he's down stocks. It's just how Waft itself works as a move. It's a cheeky and cheesy move but it's not like "Oops you dealt enough damage to me so now I'm Super Wario and everything I've got is better". It's a mechanic. Not a comeback mechanic.

Edit 2:
:ultcloud: Limit having been toned down since Smash 4 has made my dislike of Limit lift. Cloud is still decent with and without Limit. Not near as good as he was but didn't neuter him totally. The ways he can burn his Limit also make up for some of his general weaknesses or give him a little extra burst damage to seal a stock or tack on good %. Has to expend it to save himself (Normally poor recovery) or can enjoy a temporary boost to his stats if he doesn't opt to burn it for a super move or plays well enough to avoid spending it via recovery. A fair balance of versatility and risk/reward. Them toning down how quick it charges manually helps keep it from being oppressive.
I don't think comeback mechanics are inherently bad. But the extent of what they offer is what's important. Lucario, Seph and Joker are examples of bad comeback mechanics in my eyes. Getting huge boons straight across the board and getting them frequently is simply poor design (Especially when attached to characters who are pretty strong from the getgo). Granting you explosive potential but still requiring some skill in their usage is a far better option. Not simply making your character 'better' for a time/until death.

Last edited:

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet

If I could choose, the final two characters would be Dante and Reimu. Honestly I wouldn’t really want many more DLC characters after that, but if there was to be one more pack then my choices would be Chun-Li, Eggman, Scorpion, Sora, Gordon Freeman and Jill Valentine

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If discussing Comeback mechanics, I can give two.

Dante: yes, he will have the Devil Trigger Transformation. It will buff his speed, attacks, and empower weapons with a healing factor (maybe 0.2 per second) as long it is active. For him to activate it, it must be charged up by either being aggressive or taking damage to build the gauge up.

Eggman (Pinch Mode): When over a certain percent, Eggman will start to get frustrated and his mech's attacks will become faster and more powerful. (Fitting since he has to contend against the Blue Blur) The trade off is that the attacks could miss more often with longer end lag as the mech itself is being pushed to the absolute limit.
I'm not sure if he'd actually come with it, but Adol could have a comeback. In The Oath in Felghana, Origin, and Ys IX, the playable characters have a Boost mode that fills up from dealing and taking damage. In Origin and IX, it's mostly just a stat buff that also lets you pull off a Burst/EX Skill, but in OiF it upgrades Adol's attack string from six hits to ten, which basically equates to him spazzing the hell out while you hammer the attack button. If it gets implemented in Smash, it'll probably be the Origin/IX version, which would be pretty similar to Cloud's Limit Breaks.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Quote, Reimu, Shovel Knight, Shantae, the Knight, Cadence
Y'all talkin' about big-name Indies and ignoring mah boi Isaac smh. Even got a global emote on Twitch.

I don't think Nintendo would be keen on a character whose most iconic attack (aside from his basic attack) is a laser made of blood. Or the possibility of having to add a spirit based on Satan.
though i wish they were okay with these i'd love isaac

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom