• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
If you could choose the last two fighter, being one to appeal to the western audience and one who who could appeal to both western and japanese audiences, which characters would you chose? You can choose ANY character you want, being "deconfirmed" or not.

Mines:

Western audience: Scorpion
Both western and japanese audience: Leon
Western: Waluigi
Western and Japanese: Kazuma Kiryu (or Goro Majima if the creator still doesn't want Kiryu to be able to beat up women)

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Hm. Actual footage came out about the 4chan "leak". Still looks fake imo, but ngl, I dig the aesthetic.

I was looking at this from the Master Chief thread, but it was a still image back then. Here, though, I can give a more solid opinion. It certainly does look good, but I see more than a few red flags. Pyra doesn't have that cape-thing, Samus is using her Fusion design, and I know people are thinking that Bewear's gonna be another challenger, but he's a PokeBall Pokemon already, so I don't believe so. I dunno who the guy underneath Pokemon Trainer is, though I can see some hand moving down there. Snake, maybe? Overall, there's a ridiculous amount of effort put into this, but there are more than a few details that make me a little iffy.

As for what Outlook might be? Maybe an RPG spin-off? At first I thought it was some sort of commemorative outro video for a presentation, but I can just barely see the "Press Start" prompt here. Again, on the fence, but I do have an affinity for being curious.

EDIT: Sorry for being SUPER LATE to this.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
I’m starting to think that it’s likely for a Resident Evil character to be one of the last two characters. CAPCOM has really been pushing the franchise lately with Village coming out and it’s the 25th anniversary this year. It’s an iconic series, one of the biggest and highest selling still not in Smash, “worthiness” is a dead concept but still almost everybody knows the series even if they haven’t played one of the games. No doubt that Sakurai would agree that it’s iconic enough. In my view, it would be Jill who’d be the character as Chris is very popular in Japan and Leon is very popular in the west however Jill is pretty popular in both regions. What do you guys think?

(and yes I know RE had a spirit event already, but that was back in late 2019 so I don’t think it has much baring if a character gets in or not tbh..) k
Stranger things have happened, so yeah, I’d be totally down for a Resident Evil character being one of the last two.

In terms of who I’d go with, without hesitation it would be Leon. Putting aside the fact that he’s my most wanted period and that RE4 is my favorite game of all time, while I wouldn’t at all hate the idea of one of the other two getting in, I’ve seen Chris and Jill done before in Marvel vs Capcom.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
And no, it isn't unprecedented. Ice Climbers cry, and Mewtwo crosses his arms.
I wish more characters had stuff like that - when thinking about Chorus Kids in Smash, I always had the vision of their losing animation being one of the Kids clapping, and the other two giving him their signature glare.

1618797772610.png

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If you could choose the last two fighter, being one to appeal to the western audience and one who who could appeal to both western and japanese audiences, which characters would you chose? You can choose ANY character you want, being "deconfirmed" or not.

Mines:

Western: Crash Bandicoot
Both Western and JP: Sora

cothero

Smash Lord
Stranger things have happened, so yeah, I’d be totally down for a Resident Evil character being one of the last two.

In terms of who I’d go with, without hesitation it would be Leon. Putting aside the fact that he’s my most wanted period and that RE4 is my favorite game of all time, while I wouldn’t at all hate the idea of one of the other two getting in, I’ve seen Chris and Jill done before in Marvel vs Capcom.
Also, it's notorious how Capcom keep pushing Chris as the male RE rep on the Vs. Series all the time, so i believe people are pretty sick of his appearances. It would be the sencond time Leon would make an appearence as a fighter after Project X Zone, so adding that to his popularity, he would be the ideal choice for a character (also, RE4 is considered by many the best RE game ever).

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Fair enough. She strikes me more like Hero though tbh, where she has her presence and her fans in the west, but Japan is gonna be doing basically all the heavy lifting to get her in, should that happen.
Plus, I remember someone making a comparison between Puyo Puyo and Sakura Wars, where both are extremely popular in Japan, but Puyo is also popular in the rest of the world, while Saklura Wars is not. That's one of the reasons I picked Arle as my choice for a both Western-appeal and Japanese-appeal character. Hope that helps.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Personally, I can say that SMT is unpopular in all parts of the world.

Well, except for that one Portuguese twitter account.
Okay, I'm trying to come up with a joke about SMT needing to be more like Persona, but I honestly can't think of one. Like, um... pretending Persona is the main series and SMT is the spinoff or something? I'm open to ideas!

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Okay, I'm trying to come up with a joke about SMT needing to be more like Persona, but I honestly can't think of one. Like, um... pretending Persona is the main series and SMT is the spinoff or something? I'm open to ideas!
make everyone go to high school. demi-fiend, the demons, god, dante, all of them.

boom. instant sucess, thirty million units sold.

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

Fire Emblem: Awakening released in Japan 9 years ago today.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Pic of the Day:

Fire Emblem: Awakening released in Japan 9 years ago today.
Can’t wait for the Mother 3 themed picture tomorrow so I can be sad that we still don’t have that game.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus, I remember someone making a comparison between Puyo Puyo and Sakura Wars, where both are extremely popular in Japan, but Puyo is also popular in the rest of the world, while Saklura Wars is not. That's one of the reasons I picked Arle as my choice for a both Western-appeal and Japanese-appeal character. Hope that helps.
Puyo Puyo is indeed quite popular in Japan. Of that I'm sure, but I don't feel particularly qualified to expound further on its Japanese popularity, given I don't live in Japan nor am I overly familiar with Puyo Puyo. I mean I've played it before, but I'm certainly not within its fandom.

In the west, however, you have to reconcile whoever claimed it was popular with the fact that... the majority of its games don't even get localized. And its biggest success seemed to be when it was paired with Tetris. These aren't the hallmarks of a western hit. I mean it has a greater presence in the west than Sakura Wars, but that's not saying much.

Even Dragon Quest had the majority of its (main) titles localized for the global market. And no one is pretending that series is super popular outside Japan. So... you've got to measure claims you hear against things that could actually validate/invalidate them. And the series mostly being relegated to within Japan is not a good sign for its global popularity.

People round these parts have recently taken to overstating the western popularity of some Japan-skewing series, and I mean... you can do that all you want I suppose, but it doesn't make it true. Having said that, of the series this has happened to, Puyo Puyo is probably one of the likelier ones to see its Japanese popularity manifest itself. Though I don't know if that's saying a lot. I mean, there are still feasible series out there with a more globally balanced audience. That's generally what Smash opts for.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Also, it's notorious how Capcom keep pushing Chris as the male RE rep on the Vs. Series all the time, so i believe people are pretty sick of his appearances. It would be the sencond time Leon would make an appearence as a fighter after Project X Zone, so adding that to his popularity, he would be the ideal choice for a character (also, RE4 is considered by many the best RE game ever).
Not to mention that when the Resident Evil series first came out on a Nintendo system, it was with the N64 getting RE2, which was Leon’s debut in the series, along with RE4 originally being a GC exclusive. So for me, he would feel more natural than Chris & Jill.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Not to mention that when the Resident Evil series first came out on a Nintendo system, it was with the N64 getting RE2, which was Leon’s debut in the series, along with RE4 originally being a GC exclusive. So for me, he would feel more natural than Chris & Jill.
I think this is the exact reason i view recognize Leon as a character more than Chris and Jill.

Puyo Puyo is indeed quite popular in Japan. Of that I'm sure, but I don't feel particularly qualified to expound further on its Japanese popularity, given I don't live in Japan nor am I overly familiar with Puyo Puyo. I mean I've played it before, but I'm certainly not within its fandom.

In the west, however, you have to reconcile whoever claimed it was popular with the fact that... the majority of its games don't even get localized. And its biggest success seemed to be when it was paired with Tetris. These aren't the hallmarks of a western hit. I mean it has a greater presence in the west than Sakura Wars, but that's not saying much.

Even Dragon Quest had the majority of its (main) titles localized for the global market. And no one is pretending that series is super popular outside Japan. So... you've got to measure claims you hear against things that could actually validate/invalidate them. And the series mostly being relegated to within Japan is not a good sign for its global popularity.

People round these parts have recently taken to overstating the western popularity of some Japan-skewing series, and I mean... you can do that all you want I suppose, but it doesn't make it true. Having said that, of the series this has happened to, Puyo Puyo is probably one of the likelier ones to see its Japanese popularity manifest itself. Though I don't know if that's saying a lot. I mean, there are still feasible series out there with a more globally balanced audience. That's generally what Smash opts for.
Hell even within Sega itself it makes more sense to go with something like Yakuza than either PuyoPuyo or Sakura wars.

I like all three but Yakuza clearly has the edge here as it's popular both in the west and in Japan and it's characters are practically Sega's mascots now instead of Sonic lol

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Western: Doom Slayer [Doom]
Both: Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]

7NATOR

Smash Master
So something I was thinking about (that might be "disturbing" to some)

The Sword Fighter tourney and and the 2010's tourney have still been missing, despite many great opportunities for these tourneys to Happen

-Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra are in, and these characters are known for their Swords, yet no Sword Fighter tourney
-2010's Tourney still missing despite Min Min, Steve, and Pyra/Mythra originating from this decade (Steve is counted by Java release in 2011)

We saw that they had that TNT Tourney as the first tourney after the DLC Character tourney for Pyra/Mythra. Now granted we've been getting mainly Spirit events these weeks and that TNT Tourney was the only tourney since Pyra/Mythra's special one, so these tourneys can still show before the next character

Now I really didn't think we'd get another 2010's character, and was unsure on another Swordfighter, but it's seeming to be that way, that these aspects will be present in at least 1 of the last 2 Fighters. I Know it's disturbing to some, because they don't want more Swords, or 2010's characters, but it might be seeming that way

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

The way I’d think about the Western popularity of Puyo Puyo is to pretend that the series began with the Western release of Puyo Puyo Tetris 1 on the Switch / PS4 / ect. since that’s when they started localizing the games consistently.

So, as a series that began in the Switch generation (and currently has a bunch of games on the Switch,) how popular is it in the West? Edit: (I don’t know myself, I haven’t done the research.)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
yakuza's weird. Last year, I went from literally not knowing it existed to seeing it everywhere.
Because they werecelebrating being released from Sony prison

The Sword Fighter tourney and and the 2010's tourney have still been missing, despite many great opportunities for these tourneys to Happen

-Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra are in, and these characters are known for their Swords, yet no Sword Fighter tourney
-2010's Tourney still missing despite Min Min, Steve, and Pyra/Mythra originating from this decade (Steve is counted by Java release in 2011)

We saw that they had that TNT Tourney as the first tourney after the DLC Character tourney for Pyra/Mythra. Now granted we've been getting mainly Spirit events these weeks and that TNT Tourney was the only tourney since Pyra/Mythra's special one, so these tourneys can still show before the next character

Now I really didn't think we'd get another 2010's character, and was unsure on another Swordfighter, but it's seeming to be that way, that these aspects will be present in at least 1 of the last 2 Fighters. I Know it's disturbing to some, because they don't want more Swords, or 2010's characters, but it might be seeming that way
the-yakuza-series-has-cracked-14m-sales-ichiban-kasuga-yakuza-like-a-dragon.jpg

The new Yakuza protagonist uses a sword.

Yakuza confirmed i dont make the rules.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Mines:

Western: Rayman
Both: Ryu Hayabusa

I guess you're talking about my post that I made a week ago:

Even if Nintendo wanted a more Japan-centric character, I don't see them going with Sakura before Puyo puyo. Puyo puyo have a bigger legacy, is more close to Nintendo, is more popular in the West (although that doesn't mean a lot considering that pretty much every Sega franchise is more popular than Sakura wars in the West), and more popular in Japan too. I basically see no reason why they would chose Sakura, unless they really want to promote the 2019 (2020 in the West) reboot, but at this point it will be 1 year since it's release so I don't think that's it.
I did say that Puyo puyo was more popular in the West than Sakura wars, but that's not a huge achievment when Sakura wars is almost non existant in the West. Puyo puyo is still very niche in the West, but I do think it have a bit of following (especially with some more recent releases on Switch) that Sakura wars don't have.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I did say that Puyo puyo was more popular in the West than Sakura wars, but that's not a huge achievment when Sakura wars is almost non existant in the West. Puyo puyo is still very niche in the West, but I do think it have a bit of following (especially with some more recent releases on Switch) that Sakura wars don't have.
Sakura wars has a really weird following in the west, because it's not made up of gamers at all, for some reason someone decided to dub the anime adaptation of the first game, the movie and the OVA's of Sakura wars into english. Despite the fact that the games these anime were made to promote never got localized.

I will never understand how this happened.

And then somehow we got the fifth and sixth games localized. So i guess those english dubs must have done something right. lol

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman

Sorry that my first post back is about Dark Souls, but a DS character definitely fits the bill for these.

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

Mines:

Western Audience: Shantae
Western/Japanese Audience: Phoenix Wright

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
By liking a post on Facebook that says 1 like = 1 prayer against Giygas.
You know what...that'd probably work XD

Mines:

Western Audience: Master Chief (Halo)
Japanese Audience: Saber / Artoria Pendragon (Fate/series)
Both Audiences: Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Mines:

West: Crash
Japan: Bandana Dee

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Sakura wars has a really weird following in the west, because it's not made up of gamers at all, for some reason someone decided to dub the anime adaptation of the first game, the movie and the OVA's of Sakura wars into english. Despite the fact that the games these anime were made to promote never got localized.

I will never understand how this happened.

And then somehow we got the fifth and sixth games localized. So i guess those english dubs must have done something right. lol
I mean, we did get the Fire Emblem anime a good few years before Marth and Roy in Smash and Blazing Blade got localized, and Shadow Dragon itself wouldn't get remade until over ten years after that (And if we're gonna argue semantics, the original game wouldn't go westward until over two decades after the anime's release). I dunno, guess it's just easier to dub over the mouth flaps rather than go back and rewrite every bit of text in the game.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I dunno, guess it's just easier to dub over the mouth flaps rather than go back and rewrite every bit of text in the game.
At least you don't have to deal with questionable dubbing when you're just rewriting text.
BUT MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARS

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Mines:

Western: Master Chief
Both: Dante

I remember 1UP made a list for the 10 most important video characters of all time around 2005 and the only characters remaining to be included in smash for their list is Lara and Master Chief. unfortunatelly, 1UP have been shut down some years ago, but i remember their list:

1. Mario
2. Sonic
3. Pac-Man
4. Link
5. Solid Snake
6. Lara Croft
7. Pikachu
8. Master Chief
9. Cloud
10. Samus
Yeah, those two are so huge in the West. Damn near everyone knows who they are or atleast that they’re from Halo/Tomb Raider. They’re similar to Hero/Dragon Quest. Nintendo would have to try reeeeally hard to avoid adding them in the future.

She’s in.

E58591AF-9AA8-4199-AB34-FDE936385EC1.jpeg

Shroob

Sup?
Western: Master Chief
Both: Dante

Yeah, those two are so huge in the West. Damn near everyone knows who they are or atleast that they’re from Halo/Tomb Raider. They’re similar to Hero/Dragon Quest. Nintendo would have to try reeeeally hard to avoid adding them in the future.

She’s in.

View attachment 311998
Square Enix getting a 4th character who isn't Geno would definitely be a sight to behold, for better or worse.

I for one welcome our 2B overlord.

cothero

Smash Lord
I don't now man, DMC spirits absent seems kinda sus to me. We even got RE and Monster Hunter spirits in the game, but no DMC? The same would work for Ace Attorney following that logic, but that Kamiya poll from 2018... Hmmm...

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't now man, DMC spirits absent seems kinda sus to me. We even got RE and Monster Hunter spirits in the game, but no DMC? The same would work for Ace Attorney following that logic, but that Kamiya poll from 2018... Hmmm...

Eh, could be because RE and MH have more of a history with Nintendo than DMC does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom