• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So..... in keeping with the theme of today, what Dragon Ball games did y'all grow up with?
I didn't grow up with Dragon Ball at all, so Fighterz is my only Dragon Ball game. I like it a lot.

That being said, I tried to watch the anime and dropped it around Garlic Jr. Maybe I'll give it another go someday, but the writing frustrated me quite a bit. I find myself interested in the concept of Dragon Ball, but so much is storytelling left on the table for the sake of POWER that it bugs me, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I didn't grow up with Dragon Ball at all, so Fighterz is my only Dragon Ball game. I like it a lot.

That being said, I tried to watch the anime and dropped it around Garlic Jr. Maybe I'll give it another go someday, but the writing frustrated me quite a bit. I find myself interested in the concept of Dragon Ball, but so much is storytelling left on the table for the sake of POWER that it bugs me, if that makes sense.
Oh no, that's a major issue with Dragon Ball in general starting as early as the Red Ribbon Army arc of the original DB - "So Last Season" as TV Tropes puts it. You consistently have the villain of the arc replaced by an even more powerful villain by the next arc, and the main good guy has to learn a new Kamehameha or form or whatever. One thing Super improved slightly on is that the new forms come up slower, but OTOH Super also is hyper-focused around Goku and Vegeta at points.

And then you have Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which is basically an excuse to have more fights between fan-favorite characters at the expense of the story.

what about the honorary Captain Underpants rep? :4pacman:
I mean, I like Ultimate's newcomers:

newcomers.png

Truly brings a lot of variety to the game. :4pacman:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So..... in keeping with the theme of today, what Dragon Ball games did y'all grow up with?

My favorite classic games were DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Bukokai 3.

And my favorite modern game was DB Xenoverse 2.

The Raging Blast series, Budokai Tenkaichi 3, Ultimate Tenkaichi, Xenoverse Series, Budokai 1 and 3, FighterZ

I remember that I wanted Budokai Tenkachi 3, but I got Ultimate Tenkaichi instead. I still managed to find enjoyment out of the game despite the Rock Paper Scissors aspect of it. My cousin ended up giving me his copy and I got to experience at the time the best DBZ game.

I also had Battle of Gods, but I dropped that game after like Hours

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Raging Blast 2, but nothing else really. I had Extreme Butoden for the 3DS, which was ArcSys' first dabble into DBZ before they made FighterZ.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

My favorite classic games were DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and Bukokai 3.

And my favorite modern game was DB Xenoverse 2.

Played more than my fair share. I played a crap ton of the Budokai and Tenkaichi games (Budokai 3 especially), as well as Burst Limit and Raging Blast. Even played some of the GBA games like Legend of Goku.

Out of the modern stuff DBFZ is 100% my favorite, and I'd say it's my favorite DBZ game period. Couldn't really get into stuff like Xenoverse.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Oh no, that's a major issue with Dragon Ball in general starting as early as the Red Ribbon Army arc of the original DB - "So Last Season" as TV Tropes puts it. You consistently have the villain of the arc replaced by an even more powerful villain by the next arc, and the main good guy has to learn a new Kamehameha or form or whatever. One thing Super improved slightly on is that the new forms come up slower, but OTOH Super also is hyper-focused around Goku and Vegeta at points.

And then you have Super Dragon Ball Heroes, which is basically an excuse to have more fights between fan-favorite characters at the expense of the story.

I mean, I like Ultimate's newcomers:

View attachment 309593

Truly brings a lot of variety to the game. :4pacman:
They really removed Sephiroth for Anakin, huh? Couldn't find a "Shall I bring you this pear" or something? Miles is actually biased against Sephiroth? What's going on here? :nifty:

EDIT: it has come to my attention that i am blind why the **** is it out of order

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
They really removed Sephiroth for Anakin, huh? Couldn't find a "Shall I bring you this pear" or something? Miles is actually biased against Sephiroth? What's going on here? :nifty:

EDIT: it has come to my attention that i am blind why the **** is it out of order
The order Smash Wiki uses goes like this (in regards to Ultimate Newcomers)

First Party (from Returning franchises)
First Party (from New Franchises)
3rd Party (from Returning Franchises)
3rd Party (From New Franchises)

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The order Smash Wiki uses goes like this (in regards to Ultimate Newcomers)

First Party (from Returning franchises)
First Party (from New Franchises)
3rd Party (from Returning Franchises)
3rd Party (From New Franchises)
That's weird but ok I guess

I like the Ridley joke.
1617320079417.png
Weird how they chose to only make icon jokes for like, 5 characters.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
HUZZAH. MY EFFORTS FINALLY PAID OFF.

The first modded spirit to be added to SSBU without replacing anything!
If you want another potential Spirit that could be classified as Legend:

I mean, especially after WB decided that it was a good idea to make one of his attacks Chungus Amongus:

:4pacman:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I mean, especially after WB decided that it was a good idea to make one of his attacks Chungus Amongus:

The Spy must be fuming right now...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
HUZZAH. MY EFFORTS FINALLY PAID OFF.

The first modded spirit to be added to SSBU without replacing anything!
No no no Martin, you did it wrong! You're supposed to make a cool fake leak that has hordes of people believing it because it's something that hasn't been done before and clearly wasn't possible! And then you woulda came out and did an ArtsyOmni! You were the only one with the knowledge!

Now the 2021 Phoenix Wright hoax will never be a thing! :076:

D

Deleted member

There are many times I unironically think Goku is going to be in Smash because Sakurai is known to be a pathological liar. He said Goku and Iron Man won't be in Smash, but he also said Ridley was too big once and I can't let that 1 slide.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Having the Words "Looney Tunes" and "Gacha Game" in the same sentence is the most cursed thing i have ever heard in this entire day.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
There are many times I unironically think Goku is going to be in Smash because Sakurai is known to be a pathological liar. He said Goku and Iron Man won't be in Smash, but he also said Ridley was too big once and I can't let that 1 slide.
Actually Sakurai did not exactly say that, what he said is that he did not know how to transfer the essence of Ridley as a fighter, his cruelty, how terrifying he was and his brutality, naming as reasons the reduction in size that would have to be done and having to balance him like a fighter instead of a boss.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Imagine calling someone a pathological liar because they changed their mind about something.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

The true reason why Goku can't get in. It's amusing that people keep saying how stingy Square-Enix and Disney can be when we have case like this.

Reason why characters like Spiderman and Batman have better chance of joining Smash than Goku is simple. DC and Marvel hold each character's right to themselves. So, there is less legal hurdle to overcome on Nintendo's side. This is why we had games like Marvel vs Capcom. There are different right holders on each region for non-video game franchise like Dragonball. The first article I linked should be enough to demonstrate how much of legal nightmare it is for non-video game series, especially manga/anime stuff. Even if Goku somehow gets in, he would be region locked, and that's not something Nintendo would want. Viz Media doesn't have Dragonball license in UK for example.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don’t think it’s a hurdle preventing Yuri from getting in, it’s just something that would make me a little less hyped if he did. Maybe I’m underselling Yuri’s moveset potential. It has been a while since I played Vesperia, and while I did love Yuri as a character, I tended to use Rita Mordio to more often because I like her even more. That being said, I would still be happy if Yuri got in, just less so than Velvet.

Another example of a character I loved in his game but I don’t think would be overly interesting in Smash is Dunban from Xenoblade. Dunban was my favorite character but he is just another one handed sword user that doesn’t really have many flashy attacks when compared to other characters. I think Fiora would probably be a more interesting Smash character despite me liking Dunban more.

I’m not really against more sword fighters getting in, I just tend to prioritize characters with different fighting styles.
I respect your point.
At the same time, I'd say Yuri would definitely bring an unique concept moveset wise. Well, him and any Tales protagonist.

I mean, if he was to be in Smash and he just uses his sword, with very few Artes as part of his entire moveset and not being able to do combos in a similar fashion to what he can do in his game, then I'd also would rather have another character. But I assume that he would bring some Tales gameplay inspirations with him (which would also happen with Lloyd or Velvet), so I wouldn't be worried about that.

As far as I know we don't have any sword character that fights almost like a brawler and able to chain his different specials (which is something you can do in Tales). Then there are other mechanics such as mortal attacks or burst/altered Artes that I could see being a part of his Smash moveset, even if it could be hard to balance.

What I'm pretty sure is that he has moveset potential. Any Tales character would be toned down from what they're capable to do in their games, but even with that they could still offer a very cool concept as a fighter.

Worse case scenario, maybe Yuri could come with Repede? Not the most faithful representation of both characters, but it's not impossible, and after Pyra and Mythra fighting without Rex, which isn't the most frequent representation of both girls, I could see that happening if Sakurai has a hard time balancing a more combo focused moveset for Yuri.

PD: I also liked Rita a lot, though I still played as Yuri most of times.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Reason why characters like Spiderman and Batman have better chance of joining Smash than Goku is simple. DC and Marvel hold each character's right to themselves. So, there is less legal hurdle to overcome on Nintendo's side. This is why we had games like Marvel vs Capcom.
Even then, you still have to worry about a character being delisted eventually. It's happened with both MvC2 and MvC Origins on PSN/Xbox Live, and plenty of others.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Now we got our MH Rise Spirit Event.
And no, this isn’t an April Fools’ joke. Weird that this announcement happens on April Fools’ Day of all days, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And no, this isn’t an April Fools’ joke. Weird that this announcement happens on April Fools’ Day of all days, though.
Monster Hunter is double dead. That's the joke.

I dunno, guess Nintendo has a dark sense of humor :drshrug:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Nice! This is the second event with new spirits in a row, isn't it?

True, MH was already out at that point, but hey, that's three more Spirits to keep Rathalos company. Though I kinda wish that stage was selectable in normal play, at least...

D

Deleted member

Cool to see confirmation of the spirit event. Also why is the default palamute literally just Repede

cashregister9

Smash Hero
They might've delayed the event because of April fools (Due to timezones right now it's the second in japan)

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
They might've delayed the event because of April fools (Due to timezones right now it's the second in japan)
Well, April Fools is over in the EU timezones as well.

Anyhow, yeah, it's nice to see MH get a Spirit Event at least. Was practically neutral on the possibilities of a fighter - although MvCI did have Monster Hunter and how she plays as one of its few strong points.

With MH practically dead, I kinda think that the most interesting thing to come out of this will be if one day in the future Sakurai explains why a playable Hunter didn't make it in. I doubt the MH dev team was an issue since they greenlit the Infinite appearance.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace
RIP Monster Hunter rep yet again ;-;

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I respect your point.
At the same time, I'd say Yuri would definitely bring an unique concept moveset wise. Well, him and any Tales protagonist.

I mean, if he was to be in Smash and he just uses his sword, with very few Artes as part of his entire moveset and not being able to do combos in a similar fashion to what he can do in his game, then I'd also would rather have another character. But I assume that he would bring some Tales gameplay inspirations with him (which would also happen with Lloyd or Velvet), so I wouldn't be worried about that.

As far as I know we don't have any sword character that fights almost like a brawler and able to chain his different specials (which is something you can do in Tales). Then there are other mechanics such as mortal attacks or burst/altered Artes that I could see being a part of his Smash moveset, even if it could be hard to balance.

What I'm pretty sure is that he has moveset potential. Any Tales character would be toned down from what they're capable to do in their games, but even with that they could still offer a very cool concept as a fighter.

Worse case scenario, maybe Yuri could come with Repede? Not the most faithful representation of both characters, but it's not impossible, and after Pyra and Mythra fighting without Rex, which isn't the most frequent representation of both girls, I could see that happening if Sakurai has a hard time balancing a more combo focused moveset for Yuri.

PD: I also liked Rita a lot, though I still played as Yuri most of times.
I thought I remembered Ike having some punches in his moveset but I could be mistaken. You do make some good points. Yuri’s moveset would probably be more interesting than I’m giving it credit for although I do love the Yuri and Repede duo idea. While I still prefer Velvet, I think I’ve become convinced that Yuri could still be fun and unique in his own way.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Alright guys. I've done it. I've made the objectively best character & DLC concept that I can. Everything else is all down hill from here.
Blade is the first character created in Super Smash Flash, and as DLC, he’ll become Super Smash Bros.’s fighter # 81. It all comes full circle!

Blade brings Super Smash Flash’s cutting edge mechanics to the table, so he controls like no other fighter. What are these mechanics? Well for starters, Blade can’t run. Instead, he builds up momentum as he walks. At full speed, he’s the second fastest character in the game on the ground, and he’s the fastest character in the air by a mile. There is a slight tradeoff in that he takes a while to turn around when walking, jumping, after getting launched, and just in general, but that’s honestly no big deal.

Blade also only has 7 attacks, because why make grossly overcomplicated movesets like Lucina’s (how is anyone supposed to wrap their head around that one?) when you can strive from simplicity. One of these attacks is his Jump Attack, which sees him curl up into a ball like Sonic, but with his blade extended so it can hit opponents. This may just seem like your typical multi-hit Neutral Aerial, but it’s so much better, as the only input required to use this move is to press the jump button, and it combos into itself. Isn’t Blade just the coolest?

Oh, and Blade can’t grab ledges either. Instead, he his jump rivals Falco’s in height. Ledge interactions were boring anyway.
Blade’s Neutral Attack is a horizontal slash with his sword. That’s it. That’s the attack.

Blade’s Forward Tilt is an overhead slash that does a ton of knockback. It makes a great anti-air, and even can hit behind him for some reason.

Blade’s Down Tilt is a quick roll forward with his blade extended. It’s like his Jump Attack, but on the ground. It can combo into his aerials at low-mid percents as well.

Blade’s Up Tilt is a quick slash above him. This has a really narrow hitbox similar to Hero’s Up Smash, but I’m sure you’re skilled enough to land it consistently, especially since the reward is the opponent’s trajectory altered to go slightly more upwards, and twice their current horizontal speed. If you can’t land it then…well it sucks to suck.
Blade’s aerial attacks are the same as his grounded moves except he doesn’t have a Forward Aerial, and he has a unique Down Aerial. Said Down Aerial is a quick slash below him. It’s like his Up Aerial, but down. This attack sends opponents forward instead of spiking them because spikes are for the weak.
Blade cannot Grab.
What’s a Final Smash?
Overall, Blade is an incredibly balanced character with no flaws. Anyone who says otherwise is just mad because they lost to him, the chumps.

A vertical scrolling stage that takes place on very carefully and completely intentionally placed platforms. The platforms are generally quite sparse, meaning aerial combat is the name of the game here. There are also some Wario Land 4 enemies that deal what is definitely the appropriate amount of knockback if you touch them.

• Blade: A cartooney hedgehog that looks like Knuckles if he wore blue clothes.
  • Blade Tinted Blue
  • Blade Tinted Green
  • Blade Tinted Yellow
  • Blade Tinted Orange
  • Blade Tinted Pink
  • Blade Tinted Purple
  • Blade Tinted Darker
  • Sonic
  • Mario & Luigi (Teammate: Samus)
  • Bonus
  • Link, Zelda, Sheik, or Young Link
  • 15 Kirbys
  • 10 tiny R.O.B.s
  • 12 Mii Fighters (Fighting Mii Team version)
  • Master Hand
This is Super Smash Flash’s Classic Mode with minor alterations.
  • All Star Rest Area
    • The music for the Floating Islands stage, and is definitely not from Super Smash Bros. Melee.
  • Menu 1
    • The menu theme from Super Smash Flash 2.
  • Battlefield (Super Smash Flash 2)(Remix)
    • The main theme for Super Smash Flash 2’s Battlefield.
  • Multi-Man Smash
    • The Multi-Man Smash theme for Super Smash Flash 2, and Super Smash Flash 2’s alternate Battlefield theme. It’s one of my favorite tracks from the game.
  • Final Destination (Super Smash Flash 2)
    • Super Smash Flash 2’s main Final Destination theme.
  • Cruel Smash
    • Super Smash Flash 2’s Cruel Smash theme, and Final Destination’s alternate theme.
  • Polygon Zone
    • A jazzy rendition of Super Smash Flash 2’s theme.
  • Bowser’s Rampage
    • An original(ish) composition for the Bowser’s Castle stage.
  • Continue(Remix)
    • The continue theme for Super Smash Flash 2.
  • Break the Targets!(Remix)
    • The normal Break the Targets theme.
  • Rest Area(Remix)
    • Super Smash Flash 2’s rest area theme.
Blade is a strong and independent DLC fighter that don’t need no Spirits. That’s right! He don’t even have a fighter Spirit!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom