• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
So at this point, think we can agree Ryu Hayabusa's out of the running?
At this point, I'm so skeptical about Ryu, I don't know how to feel about him really. Cause if people remember, he was one of those characters that kept getting bought up in the first fighter pass. I forget the name of the leaker kept hearing Ryu, this was pretty early on in first pass of the DLC speculation cycle, but that was the same leaker that kept saying that Ryu would've been in Fighter Pass 1, but that didn't come to fruition.

I'm thinking that Ryu may have ended up getting the Travis treatment. Maybe there was talks about him getting a character slot at one point, but something just didn't work out in the end and Sakurai gave Tecmo a consolation prize for Ryu with him being a Mii costume in the end. Tecmo has been such a great partner to Nintendo these past couple of years, I think them getting a Mii costume would at least be something. If the Lloyd costume come back and maybe our last two fighters ends up being another sword character or an RPG related character with a sword I won't be surprised if we end up seeing both the fates of Lloyd and Ryu at the same time with them being back and coming as Mii costumes.

My condolences to any Ryu fans out there already if he ends getting a Mii costume at the end of all of this.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
At this point, I'm so skeptical about Ryu, I don't know how to feel about him really. Cause if people remember, he was one of those characters that kept getting bought up in the first fighter pass. I forget the name of the leaker kept hearing Ryu, this was pretty early on in first pass of the DLC speculation cycle, but that was the same leaker that kept saying that Ryu would've been in Fighter Pass 1, but that didn't come to fruition.

I'm thinking that Ryu may have ended up getting the Travis treatment. Maybe there was talks about him getting a character slot at one point, but something just didn't work out in the end and Sakurai gave Tecmo a consolation prize for Ryu with him being a Mii costume in the end. Tecmo has been such a great partner to Nintendo these past couple of years, I think them getting a Mii costume would at least be something. If the Lloyd costume come back and maybe our last two fighters ends up being another sword character or an RPG related character with a sword I won't be surprised if we end up seeing both the fates of Lloyd and Ryu at the same time with them being back and coming as Mii costumes.

My condolences to any Ryu fans out there already if he ends getting a Mii costume at the end of all of this.
Yeah I can see this happening

but please I beg you call him Hayabusa cuz I’ll confuse him with Street Fighter Ryu who we already have otherwise 😭

VongolaFair

Smash Apprentice
I feel like if we get another sword character it’ll be either Dante or Sora just a feeling I have
(It’s totally not because they’re my top 2 characters or anything...👀)

Also if Sega gets a rep this pass gimme:
Shadow
Kiryu
Demi-Fiend

Thank you very much

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I’m on the 1000th Page nice. Either way Ayumi Tachibana will arrive soon enough.
Just can't catch a break with the special pages huh? :p

but please I beg you call him Hayabusa cuz I’ll confuse him with Street Fighter Ryu who we already have otherwise
No call him Ryu because calling him by his last name is mildly infuriating.

Still don't know why it bothers me so much.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Is there a fighter out there in video games where it creates a doll for the opponent then damage it such as using needles causing the opponent to get damaged as well?
I haven’t seen any smash discussion about this type of character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Is there a fighter out there in video games where it creates a doll for the opponent then damage it such as using needles causing the opponent to get damaged as well?
Voodoo?
No, I haven't heard of any fighting game character doing that.

Not sure how that'd make for interesting and fun gameplay when the entire concept of voodoo is the lack of interaction.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
In celebration of 1000 pages, here's a roster with 1000 characters, made by aamccormick1999.

Full roster without extras by aamccormick1999
let's go Spike new main!
only 5 animal crossing characters? mark my words animal crossing will become the most overrepresented franchise in smash one day, it makes to much money not too.
well at a certain point you run ot of characters with any semblance of unique abilities

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Voodoo?

Not sure how that'd make for interesting and fun gameplay when the entire concept of voodoo is the lack of interaction.
I think we are all familiar with Voodoo users throughout anime or cartoon or movies but I have never played or heard a video game that does have voodoo user in it outside of anime video games

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm going back and forth about whether or not we'll see one of the lesser talked about patterns/fan rules broken.

Capcom (Mega Man, Ryu, Ken), Konami (Snake, Richter, Simon), Square Enix (Cloud, Hero, Sephiroth), and Sega (Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker) have had three fighters. With two slots left, do we see any of them get a fourth?
My money right now would be on Sega or Square. Like I’ve mentioned before Sega hasn’t gotten any content in FP2 yet despite everyone else getting some (besides SNK who basically went all in with Terry’s wave anyway).

While Square could tie into my theory of FP2 mainly existing because of Steve/Sephiroth. So it would be easier for Nintendo to just work with them (or MS again) for the remainder of FP2 since they were already finishing negotiations on Sephiroth.

The two of them have a good amount of characters that would get people excited too. Dr Eggman, Tails, Kiryu, 2B & Crono would get a lot of people Arle & Neku would be more like Terry; reactions would be mixed at first but I think they’d win most people over eventually.

Fingers crossed we get the next character before page 2000 lol
I imagine we will unless there’s some really interesting leak or rumor before then.

If this is still on page 1000, then Master Chief for Smash!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Voodoo?

Literally the only character that I know of that does Voodoo is Voodoo Vince, and even that's only because of Nitro Rad.

Well...I guess there was that one boss in Pirates! Legend of the Black Cat that magically made you unable to attack, but I don't know if that was supposed to be Voodoo specifically.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Usually on weeks of no events there’s a direct or something similar right? Like for the Mario 35th week

what if it’s some Switch Pro/Switch Plus/Super Switch Direct?

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
In celebration of 1000 pages, here's a roster with 1000 characters, made by aamccormick1999.

Full roster without extras by aamccormick1999
Dang, I was trying to do this! I'm only up to 300.

There are some odd picks on this roster, but the only other one I've seen had non-VG characters on it. And odd picks are basically inevitable with a 1000-character roster, so this is actually really solid. I might have to look at this roster closely and see how it's done...

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Originally I thought if there is a fighting game that could bring in a voodoo user it would have been darkstalkers as it does fit the theme of the franchise.
But it’s dead now...

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Don’t expect a Switch revision announcement until september at least.

Maybe its just that for the next FY, weekly spirit/tourney events will be with a pace of two weeks rather than one.

Last edited:

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
Usually on weeks of no events there’s a direct or something similar right? Like for the Mario 35th week

what if it’s some Switch Pro/Switch Plus/Super Switch Direct?
I remember only two cases: the Mario 35th week and the belated announcement of the spirits from Octopath Traveler.

Maybe we get new third party spirits.
Or with the start of the new fiscal year, an announcement of the new switch or a revamp of the online service

D

Deleted member

I think we are all familiar with Voodoo users throughout anime or cartoon or movies but I have never played or heard a video game that does have voodoo user in it outside of anime video games
If all the fighter has to do is poke a doll its holding, then how would the opponent block the damage? The best you'd be able to do is make it an ultimate attack for whatever fighing game you have the character in otherwise it'd be too OP.

And on that note, Yes, there has been a Voodoo-esque character in a fighter: Hidan of the Akatsuki in the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. His whole schtick revolves around using the blood of a fighter to set up a ritual where he can just attack himself and thus hurt the opponent (making himself a living voodoo doll). So in the games, his Ultimate is turning into the ritual form (or implying that the ritual to Kashin or whoever is complete) and then attacking himself to deal a ton of damage to the opponent.

Can't really be done any other way otherwise the voodoo fighter would just stand there and hit himself or a doll while the opponent doesn't have time to approach without being hit/KO'ed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
Here's a question: if Bowser, Sephiroth and Ridley tried to kill Mario and failed, does this mean Nintendo is more powerful than all of them combined?

Are we headed towards DBZ level of power creep here? :4pacman:
I mean, Nintendo gave Mario the Super Saiyan Cat form in Bowser's Fury...

...but I'm just convinced that it's to mislead him before the inevitable execution. Mario Alea Iacta Ested one too many times. :4pacman:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I remember only two cases: the Mario 35th week and the belated announcement of the spirits from Octopath Traveler.

Maybe we get new third party spirits.
Or with the start of the new fiscal year, an announcement of the new switch or a revamp of the online service
Do you remember how late Octopath spirits were announced? Specifically what day it was announced on?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
We get Balan Wonderworld spirits, disappointing the two people wanting those characters in Smash.
You joke, but I do think a BW event is one of the options that make the most sense aside from MH Rise, if we indeed get new Spirits.

By now, Square has given us three Spirit events, all of them tied to recent Switch releases. Balan fits that pretty nicely.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You joke, but I do thinka BW event is one of the options that make the most sense aside from MH Rise, if we indeed get new Spirits.

By now, Square has given us three Spirit events, all of them tied to recent Switch releases. Balan fits that pretty nicely.
Square seems to be the only one who’s realized spirits are easy/probably cheap marketing tools. I sort of wish other companies would too just to expand Ultimate’s crossover even further.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We get Balan Wonderworld spirits, disappointing the two people wanting those characters in Smash.
The effects of the Balan spirits can either make the screen flash like mad or randomly disable your opponent's controller to be as true to the game as possible

SKX31

Smash Master
Balan looks like one of those games where there is quite a lot of creativity... but hoo boy is that misplaced and misused when it comes to the gameplay.

The effects of the Balan spirits can either make the screen flash like mad or randomly disable your opponent's controller to be as true to the game as possible
Or give you the best move in casual Smash - akin to Kirby's Stone - whenever it feels like it that is:

:4pacman:

(Late edit: They could've taken Box Fox and reworked it a bit to have some interesting quirks, such as creating small AoE tremors or what not. The intent is there, but as said above, it really was misplaced and the results look way too slow / random to be interesting as a platformer.)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Balan looks like one of those games where there is quite a lot of creativity... but hoo boy is that misplaced and misused when it comes to the gameplay.

Or give you the best move in casual Smash - akin to Kirby's Stone - whenever it feels like it that is:

:4pacman:
To be honest, as someone who's been playing the game (I was even gonna make a joke about how I got "the game everyone was talking about", but then Twitter killed my mood), I feel like this is gonna be one of those people remember more for the themes and style rather than the gameplay. Kinda like Majora's Mask in a way: as AVGN pointed out, we talk more about that game's world, characters and themes than we do the gameplay.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think it's particularly sad because I just loved the character designs from day one and now that it's out, we know that the soundtrack is full of bangers.

Problem is... it looks like all the budget went into that instead of the gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom