• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Man, Square is pushing Tomb Raider’s 25th anniversary pretty hard. This is a lot harder than most companies seem to push anniversaries, even Nintendo. I wonder.... 🤔
could you tell me what that is because I don't want to make a Facebook account

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Man, Square is pushing Tomb Raider’s 25th anniversary pretty hard. This is a lot harder than most companies seem to push anniversaries, even Nintendo. I wonder.... 🤔
That turned out great for Monster Hunter am I right?

SKX31

Smash Master
Would Konami really be the right choice for helping get their footing in the Japanese market? Like.....I can understand Sega with having a good presence in Japan and having a good relationship with Microsoft, but what exactly does Konami have aside from pachinko machines(and would focusing on Pachinko machines while we're still in a pandemic really be ideal) and Yugioh for Japan? The only franchises I can really think of that have some sort of presence in Japan are Bomberman and Momotaro Densetsu. But some of Konami's other franchises appear to have alot more presence in the West and China compared to Japan.
The latter would still be a major get within the Japanese context, TBF. We also have to take into account Microsoft's recent shift to Game Pass, since Microsoft really wants to have people on that service regardless of device.

Of course, it wouldn't solve the Xbox's issues there, but we're talking about Microsoft's prospects. If they see an increased interest in Game Pass on the computer from Japanese consumers as a result of them hypotheoretically buying Konami or Sega, they'll still count that as a W partly because it might help the Xbox ever so slightly down the road.

Regardless of it being Smash-related or not (my money's on not) it's still great to see such an anniversary get pushed.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Waluigi joins Smash Bros but the challenger pack is sponsored by Reese's Puffs.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
There has been a rumor that Microsoft is looking at purchasing a Japanese studio to help get their footing into the Japanese market. The two that always seem to be brought up are SEGA and now Konami. I don't think there is any proof or anything like that. Just known that Microsoft wants a better footing in Japan.
Microsoft won't ever get a foot in japan, the only company thy can buy that will give them a foothold is Nintendo.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
There has been a rumor that Microsoft is looking at purchasing a Japanese studio to help get their footing into the Japanese market. The two that always seem to be brought up are SEGA and now Konami. I don't think there is any proof or anything like that. Just known that Microsoft wants a better footing in Japan.
They can’t afford Konami I don’t think, at least not them as a whole, they could likely buy their gaming division but buying their IP would probably be their main focus and they’d likely have to change the name from Konami to something else and even then that’s not how Microsoft is trying to enter the Japanese Market. They want a way to market their games with a brand that Japan is synonymous with which is a big reason Sega is always brought up. Sega does well over there and the name SEGA has a lot of clout surrounding that name. Even then I doubt Microsoft would ever purchase Sega. That doesn’t seem like a focus that would appeal to either side.

But yeah, Microsoft wouldn’t buy Konami because I doubt they have any intention of entering the Hotel, Golfing, and Pachinko businesses alongside others. If they are? Then hell yeah please buy Konami, Microsoft.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Microsoft won't ever get a foot in japan, the only company thy can buy that will give them a foothold is Nintendo.
Microsoft tried to buy Nintendo at one time. Nintendo laughed them out of the meeting. Pretty funny, looking back, but it is obvious that they see potential there.

Nintendo is king of Japan. Mobile games are much more successful there, I believe. Microsoft just wants a foot in the door, and I think owning a Japanese company would help them out tremendously.

EDIT

They can’t afford Konami I don’t think, at least not them as a whole, they could likely buy their gaming division but buying their IP would probably be their main focus and they’d likely have to change the name from Konami to something else and even then that’s not how Microsoft is trying to enter the Japanese Market. They want a way to market their games with a brand that Japan is synonymous with which is a big reason Sega is always brought up. Sega does well over there and the name SEGA has a lot of clout surrounding that name. Even then I doubt Microsoft would ever purchase Sega. That doesn’t seem like a focus that would appeal to either side.

But yeah, Microsoft wouldn’t buy Konami because I doubt they have any intention of entering the Hotel, Golfing, and Pachinko businesses alongside others. If they are? Then hell yeah please buy Konami, Microsoft.
I think they could. Konami is estimated around $5 billion in net worth. Bethesda, as of last September, was around $3 billion. They bought them for around $7.5 billion. On the flip side, Xbox is worth $600 billion. Microsoft probably has the money to buy them.(EDIT 2: That's just Xbox's net worth. Microsoft is around a $1 Trillion company).

As for the appeal of the other stuff? No idea. I would assume they would want their IPs, and nothing more. But if it makes money, why not just let them do their thing with the hotel, golfing, and pachinko? They'll continue to run themselves and make money, while the games will have funding to continue being made and put on platforms where Game Pass exists. Which will be mobile, which is hugely successful in Japan.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I have no idea, honestly. Konami has a lot of IPs that Microsoft may want to do something with. Like I said, that's where I've heard the rumor. SEGA, like you said, has always seemed to make more sense. They have a relationship going back to the Dreamcast, correct? And even now, with Microsoft helping get Phantasy Star Online 2 over to the West, it is obvious that they like to work together on some things. Konami was just a name I heard mentioned, but like I said, not sure why/where that name came from. I would assume just because of their dormant IPs that fans really love.
Believe me, as much as I would love a company to buy Konami to bring back some of their IPs back, that would require them actually giving a deal about them. And I can't see Microsoft giving a deal about series like Goemon, Gradius & Parodius, Suikoden, Sunset Riders, etc compared to Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Silent Hill and maybe Bomberman.

That aside, I just see Sega being more likely than Konami.
Soma would be our 21?! But we already have a pink character that can absorb enemy abilities! :p

Nah, but Soma really would be cool. I was first introduced to Castlevania with an LP of Aria of Sorrow, so it'd be cool seeing him.

You could definitely do something with enemy souls. Soma doesn't change with souls, unlike Kirby, and most souls use the same animation, so it won't necessarily be quite as difficult as doing Kirby again. For simplicity (and ease of development), it should probably just have the one type of soul, but I can't deny that having red, blue, and yellow souls per fighter would be fun.

Also, you could give him some souls from the game as well. I think you have to have the Flame Demon soul, the Giant Bat soul, and the Succubus soul all in there somewhere. And I feel like I'd want Student Witch in there as well. It always sticks in my head that you can just throw cats at people.
I mean, a benefit that Soma would have over Kirby that can make his modelling easier is that he doesn't need to change appearances when he gets a soul and copies a move. He also doesn't necessarily need to do special animations for each character. Like for Bowser's Fire Breath, Soma could just raise his hand out and he'll summon a Fire breath rather than actually breath fire like Kirby. And Soma could do this hand animation with a bunch of specials to make it easier on his modelling and whatnot.
But hopefully not all of them as it would be cool to see him use some specials with the same animation, like Donkey Kong's Giant Punch.

And yeah, Soma with his Flame Demon soul and Giant Bat soul would work for Side and Up-Specials. Heck, one of the benefits of that is that when he's in Bat form in that moment, he has use Flame Demon in that form, giving him some sort of way of defending himself while trying to recover.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Believe me, as much as I would love a company to buy Konami to bring back some of their IPs back, that would require them actually giving a deal about them. And I can't see Microsoft giving a deal about series like Goemon, Gradius & Parodius, Suikoden, Sunset Riders, etc compared to Metal Gear, Castlevania, Contra, Silent Hill and maybe Bomberman.

Maybe. But with the financial security of Microsoft, those smaller games may can still be developed by those studios. It seems like Dishonered, The Evil Within, and other Bethesda titles are being given that opportunity. Look at Psychonauts 2. It wasn't ready, so they held off forcing that company to go ahead and put it out. Microsoft can handle the marketing, while the game companies do what they do best: make games.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Maybe. But with the financial security of Microsoft, those smaller games may can still be developed by those studios. It seems like Dishonered, The Evil Within, and other Bethesda titles are being given that opportunity. Look at Psychonauts 2. It wasn't ready, so they held off forcing that company to go ahead and put it out. Microsoft can handle the marketing, while the game companies do what they do best: make games.
i wish it was possible for Microsoft to solely buy Nintendo's marketing division. that would fix so much of their issues and so many franchises would benefit.

Konami and sega are not like each other at all. Konami has a property in Yugioh which already has a massive mobile game and a tcg which is arguably bigger than even magic and easily dwarfs pokemon.

so is the music leak dead now? or are people just expecting crash now with the final character having no clear front runner/

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since Waluigi is a dancer, I would want him to have some Micheal Jackson moves, like the Moonwalk, the Lean, and the Sparkle Kick perhaps

But Yeah, I do think Waluigi could be a character that's a composite of alot of the wacky ideas the Smash team might have. I guess the only problem is that Waluigi doesn't have too much of a base template to use. You can go all sorts of different directions with him, which could make it hard to choose the right moves to use, and there be especially pressure since Waluigi has alot of fans

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
That's a good way of putting it. The lack of consistency with Waluigi and how he pulls random bull**** from his ass in different games has kinda become his character at this point. It's why I think if Smash would want to add a wacky as hell character that has weird RNG on their moveset, Waluigi would be a perfect pick for that.

I still do think a random item toss is something fun and would make sense if added with Waluigi. Maybe adding ATs and Pokeballs to the RNG list might be too much, but I don't see much problem with other items like the black hole and Mr. Saturn, I mean hell the latter already appears as RNG in Peach's moveset.
Yeah, so long as it's not too easy to get stocks, I don't think RNG is inherently bad in a moveset - especially in a character known for being random himself.

?
I don't think anyone expected this.
...Uh.

Say what!?

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Call it a hunch, I don’t think Smash is gonna be at EVO this year...

Nah don't worry, we may still have Smash.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Welp, there goes the Smash tournaments...
they'd be dumb to kick off smash. the real loser are fringe games with smaller audiences. skullgirls and such. if evO goes full corporate control Grassroot games (Killer instinct, skullgirls, and others) smash will be fine.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Someone did a remix of Baka Mitai to fit in Smash.
I was always kind of against the idea of adding the karaoke songs with Kiryu, at least not without a remix, and because even if the karaoke songs are more popular, I think the regular soundtrack of the Yakuza games deserve more spotlight. But a remix of Baka Mitai like this would be really cool.

I still wish they made the Belmonts a 4 in 1 character like Hero with Simon, Richter, Trevor, and Julius. We did end up getting Simon and Richter as echos so I shouldn’t complain. Was half right with my hopes.
I thought about that once. The thing is, each one has different personalities. Well, you can argue that some of the Belmonts from the first games, such as Simon or Trevor, are basically avatars or whatever because those games barely have story and they just kill Dracula and call it a day. But still...

But while we're at it, we could go even further:
  • Simon
  • Richter
  • Trevor
  • Julius
  • Juste
  • Leon
  • Christopher
  • Soleil

I was thinking of putting John and Jonathan Morris instead of Christopher and Soleil, but the first two aren't Belmonts and it would be weird to have 6 Belmonts and 2 Morris lol

The worst part about this post is how it won't happen, Soma would get to be like DBFZ's 21, Julius may be a standard Belmont but he'd have a cooler final smash and Shanoa is so ****ing underrated I love her and her game so much
I think Julius could be an echo fighter with some different moves, he kinda fights differently in comparison to Simon and Richter. But yeah.

Shanoa is so cool.

Konami keeps being bought by Microsoft/Sony since the last year, according to rumours lol

In any case, it was kinda debunked by Imran on Twitter recently. I don't have the tweet now he said something similar to "I think SEGA would be more likely, but in any case I'd expect a studio acquisition, not a publisher". So if it happens, probably a japanese studio and not the likes of Konami, SEGA, etc.

At best I could see Microsoft buying Koei Tecmo or something like that.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

They're "open" to other platforms and stuff

But "open" is doing a ton of work there

Well yeah, the online is still ****

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Konami keeps being buying by Microsoft/Sony since the last year, according to rumours lol

In any case, it was kinda debunked by Imran on Twitter recently. I don't have the tweet now he said something similar to "I think SEGA would be more likely, but in any case I'd expect a studio acquisition, not a publisher". So if it happens, probably a japanese studio and not the likes of Konami, SEGA, etc.

The SEGA and Konami rumors have been around for quite awhile. Especially the SEGA ones. I was more just pointing out why there are these rumors and how the money is there for the purchase. I am just not sure if it would ever happen.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
On one hand... it would be a corporate thing to do.

On the other, Smash's numbers are so high, EVO would be losing a lot of support if the series was dropped as a whole. If I'm not mistaken, Smash holds the record for highest attendance and highest amount of viewers in an EVO.

If anything, it's just gonna be harder to get a spot as a side event if you're not already huge, because you'll need to prove to Sony that you're worth a spot.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean I think we didn't even know if there was going to be EVO this year. And if that was the case it would probably be just online. So Smash would be 99% out.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

had me going for a minute.
Well yeah, the online is still ****
I completely forgot EVO is going Online this year.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I know Tecmo has a history with Microsoft with Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, but like....it's not easy to imagine when Koei Tecmo has been really helping Nintendo and it's been really paying off for them. Koei Tecmo getting bought by Microsoft feels alot like a situation Koei Tecmo does not want currently.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It doesn't seem to be listed.....
Edit: for now, they may announce more later.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That's why I wish it could be Nintendo. At the very least, they could all live in Smash.

Sega isn't really the kind of big company that buys other companies these days.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Because it's an online tournament this year and Smash's netcode is still ****.

They cut it from the event entirely last year when they moved to online before everything that came out about Wiz.

Ivander

Smash Legend
That's why I wish it could be Nintendo. At the very least, they could all live in Smash.
Nintendo buys Konami
Smash Bros. Ultimate Deluxe 2 comes out and has 8-10 new Konami characters
I frickin' wish...but that's a pipe dream alongside a new F-Zero game and even then, I think the latter is slightly likelier.

And yeah, we were discussing Microsoft buying a Japanese company, with Sega and Konami as couple of the names rumoured, and I was saying Sega is more likely compared to Konami.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

On this topic, I know Square Enix leaving a bit of money on the table in not porting their library of older titles for Switch is basically a given at this point (see FF I-VI and various KH games) but Tomb Raider especially is a series that could really benefit getting various legacy games on the system.

As far as Konami, both them and Sega would benefit in getting other studios to make some modern remakes/sequels to old titles. No reason we can' get a decent modern version of Goemon or Gunstar Heroes.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Edit: for now, they may announce more later.

To be fair, Smash was far from the only game pulled. This is like, half of the usual lineup size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom