• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The 2000s were better, but they're currently the smallest decade in the game at the moment. Meanwhile a third of the 2010s is comprised of FE characters.

For Reference:
80s: :ultgnw::ultpacman::ultmario::ultdk::ultluigi::ultlittlemac::ulticeclimbers::ultrob::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultpiranha::ultlink::ultzelda::ultsamus::ultridley::ultsimon::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultsnake::ultryu::ultken::ultmegaman::ulthero3::ultdaisy:
90s: :ultmarth::ultdoc::ultfalcon::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ult_terry::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultwario::ultfox::ultfalco::ultmetaknight::ultrichter::ultness::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer::ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ultwolf::ultsheik::ultyounglink::ultganondorf::ultbanjokazooie::ultpichu:
00s: :ultvillager::ultolimar::ultroy::ultbowserjr::ulttoonlink::ultzss::ultike::ultdarksamus::ultlucas::ultlucario::ultrosalina::ultwiifittrainer::ultbayonetta:
10s: :ultshulk::ultsteve::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultisabelle::ultgreninja::ultinkling::ultcorrin::ultjoker::ultincineroar::ultminmin:ultpyra::ultbyleth:

Small Note: Hero's date is placed when Erdrick's debut was (DQIII) and Steve's date is placed when Minecraft's 1.0 release was.
As someone who most prominently grew up with 2000's era gaming, especially the GBA and DS and has most of their wanted characters there.
Smash having largely skipped out on that era of gaming hurts my soul...

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I just had a thought about Waluigi. What if he's implemented like Faust from Guilty Gear and he's filled with RNG shenanigans? His neutral special for example has him toss a random item, and this of course includes ATs and Pokeballs on the list. His other specials would have weird properties where if a condition is achieved Waluigi would start a quick random mini-game that the opponent has to play where he either wins or loses (kinda like mario party). Like for example a slot machine that appears on the screen where depending on the result the opponent would get a random effect which either strengthens them or weakens them.

It's wacky enough that I can see this being implemented with Waluigi if he gets in. What do you all think? Do you think a character more RNG crazy than Hero could be implemented like this in Smash?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just had a thought about Waluigi. What if he's implemented like Faust from Guilty Gear and he's filled with RNG shenanigans? His neutral special for example has him toss a random item, and this of course includes ATs and Pokeballs on the list. His other specials would have weird properties where if a condition is achieved Waluigi would start a quick random mini-game that the opponent has to play where he either wins or loses (kinda like mario party). Like for example a slot machine that appears on the screen where depending on the result the opponent would get a random effect which either strengthens them or weakens them.

It's wacky enough that I can see this being implemented with Waluigi if he gets in. What do you all think? Do you think a character more RNG crazy than Hero could be implemented like this in Smash?
Technically yes. But I don't think it'd be a good idea.

Giving a character the ability to produce items on command is a huge jump from any other gimmicks we have and in-battle mini-games would get old super fast. Not to mention Waluigi, for all the fanwank he gets, a pretty standard character in the games appears so these mechanics would feel tacked-on and unnecessary for me.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

When RNGesus smiles on you and you get a trampoline -> eggplant -> anvil -> glock combo with neutral special alone
hqdefault (3).jpg

The bullets are rubber and the recovered opponent is going to forward smash your skull down your spine
Rowlet.png

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Somehow I feel like a lot of people would dislike that kind of moveset, especially the competitive community.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Not sure if all of it would be RNG, but I'm completely in favor of giving him whacky ****. If there's one character for whom it makes sense, it's Waluigi.

Like, I dunno, make one of his specials reverse controls if it hits, or make his up air spike like in SSF2, or make him serve tennis balls with a 1% chance of the ball being a Bob-Omb. Wah is the limit here.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Would Waluigi's Up-Special be him just making water appear and then swimming back to the edge?

Cause yeah, to some extent, the randomness does work with him considering he's done random things like the above. Should randomness be the entirety of his character though? Nah. He does have consistency still, considering he plays the same way as everybody else in the Sports game, Party games, etc and the randomness only really comes from some in-game mechanics that can be controlled to some extent.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

The Wii U version of "POKKÉN TOURNAMENT" is on sale today in 2016 !! The arcade version is in the summer of 2015. Many fighting games that are not humanoid are made exclusively for damage motion, so it is Taihen to make. ... Yes, Smash Bros. # Smash Bros SP

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If we're still talking characters who debuted in the 2000's/GBA/DS era. Other than Isaac, Lyn and Andy. I would like to shill Mega Man.EXE and Phoenix Wright as well. Also Starforce Mega Man is pretty dope too.

For the decade on the whole, there's also Dante and Ratchet and Clank.
GBA/DS characters?

Castlevania keeps winning.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Firox

Smash Master
Somehow I feel like a lot of people would dislike that kind of moveset, especially the competitive community.
Absolutely. The RNG on Hero is rage-inducing enough. We really don't need a character that is walking cancer incarnate...we already have Steve. /JK

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I still wish they made the Belmonts a 4 in 1 character like Hero with Simon, Richter, Trevor, and Julius. We did end up getting Simon and Richter as echos so I shouldn’t complain. Was half right with my hopes.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

The Wii U version of "POKKÉN TOURNAMENT" is on sale today in 2016 !! The arcade version is in the summer of 2015. Many fighting games that are not humanoid are made exclusively for damage motion, so it is Taihen to make. ... Yes, Smash Bros. # Smash Bros SP
I'm surprised they haven't done a proper sequel to this game yet. The gameplay and single player just needs some fine-tuning and the roster is ripe for so many fun and unique characters, yet it only has a deluxe port that dumped the Arcade Pokemon from the Wii U days + Decidueye and pretty much left it at that. Hopefully they'll revisit it sometime in the near future.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Would Waluigi's Up-Special be him just making water appear and then swimming back to the edge?

Cause yeah, to some extent, the randomness does work with him considering he's done random things like the above. Should randomness be the entirety of his character though? Nah. He does have consistency still, considering he plays the same way as everybody else in the Sports game, Party games, etc and the randomness only really comes from some in-game mechanics that can be controlled to some extent.
Yeah, perhaps. Still, in the spinoffs, Waluigi does whatever the hell the devs of that game need/want him to do.

You look at Mario Tennis (and also Hoops) where he's swimming in thin air and conjuring up tornadoes. Then you go to Mario Strikers and he's making thorns grow. Then you go to Mario Kart and he's associated with Bob-Ombs in DD and his main kart in DS is a construction vehicle because why the **** not.

Then you get Mario Party, where he was introduced to the series with his own board - an island with a ton of machine parts scattered around, including a metallic Waluigi head and a literal time bomb, no less. Speaking of, his home stages in these games have also included motocross stadiums and life-sized pinball machines.

Honestly, I think this lack of consistency has become part of the character, in its own way.

Last edited:
Yeah, perhaps. Still, in the spinoffs, Waluigi does whatever the hell the devs of that game need/want him to do.

You look at Mario Tennis (and also Hoops) where he's swimming in thin air and conjuring up tornadoes. Then you go to Mario Strikers and he's making thorns grow. Then you go to Mario Kart and he's associated with Bob-Ombs in DD and his main kart in DS is a construction vehicle because why the **** not.

Then you get Mario Party, where he was introduced to the series with his own board - an island with a ton of machine parts scattered around, including a metallic Waluigi head and a literal time bomb, no less. Speaking of, his home stages in these games have also included motocross stadiums and life-sized pinball machines.

Honestly, I think this lack of consistency has become part of the character, in its own way.
You've now given me the headcanon that Waluigi is a construction worker who desperately needs a creative outlet.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So I heard from a discord that Microsoft may buy Konami? Can anyone corroborate this?
Everyone is buying Konami, everyone. :4pacman:

Seriously though, I’d be A OK with that. It’d mean Konami would get off its arse and make games again. Snake and the Belmonts would probably stay in Smash. And all releases are likely to be multi plat.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone is buying Konami, everyone. :4pacman:

Seriously though, I’d be A OK with that. It’d mean Konami would get off its arse and make games again. Snake and the Belmonts would probably stay in Smash. And all releases are likely to be multi plat.
AND

it’s not Sony.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

That's a good way of putting it. The lack of consistency with Waluigi and how he pulls random bull**** from his ass in different games has kinda become his character at this point. It's why I think if Smash would want to add a wacky as hell character that has weird RNG on their moveset, Waluigi would be a perfect pick for that.

I still do think a random item toss is something fun and would make sense if added with Waluigi. Maybe adding ATs and Pokeballs to the RNG list might be too much, but I don't see much problem with other items like the black hole and Mr. Saturn, I mean hell the latter already appears as RNG in Peach's moveset.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So I heard from a discord that Microsoft may buy Konami? Can anyone corroborate this?
There has been a rumor that Microsoft is looking at purchasing a Japanese studio to help get their footing into the Japanese market. The two that always seem to be brought up are SEGA and now Konami. I don't think there is any proof or anything like that. Just known that Microsoft wants a better footing in Japan.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why does black mage count as having a fighter but toad counts as other representation?
That is a...valid question...

I guess because Black Mage represents Final Fantasy in that image. But SMB is already represented by several characters there. So Toad just represents Toad.

Speaking of Smash dreams I dreamt Reimu was our next fighter last night
There there. You were just having a nightmare.

But, Eleven has used that shield
I mean, he CAN. But anyone that doesn't dual wield with Eleven is ****ing up.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
It's mostly due to those rumors that Microsoft is trying to buy a Japanese. Mostly Sega due to their close relationship, but I don't know where the Konami thing started. I also remember someone saying that Microsoft is looking for another big acquisition, like with Zenimax, but didn't know who. I'll share the Twitter thread if I can find it, but I don't even know if the guy is a leaker or not...

But if it IS true, at least it's not Sony.

Ivander

Smash Legend
There has been a rumor that Microsoft is looking at purchasing a Japanese studio to help get their footing into the Japanese market. The two that always seem to be brought up are SEGA and now Konami. I don't think there is any proof or anything like that. Just known that Microsoft wants a better footing in Japan.
Would Konami really be the right choice for helping get their footing in the Japanese market? Like.....I can understand Sega with having a good presence in Japan and having a good relationship with Microsoft, but what exactly does Konami have aside from pachinko machines(and would focusing on Pachinko machines while we're still in a pandemic really be ideal) and Yugioh for Japan? The only franchises I can really think of that have some sort of presence in Japan are Bomberman and Momotaro Densetsu. But some of Konami's other franchises appear to have alot more presence in the West and China compared to Japan.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
While Waluigi should definitely mirror the fact that he just does whatever Nintendo puts him in, I'd like it if he also mirrored his consistent personality traits throughout the spin-off games somewhat. Obviously that means the conceitedness, dishonesty and self-pity, but it also means his apparent affinity for the arts and romantics. I would be very happy if his side-B or dash attack was the moonwalk he does, or if one or two of his attacks involved striking a pose á la Super Mario Party and Mario Golf: Toadstool and World Tour. In any case, I think the Whirluigi pirouette is a must for up-B.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
The worst part about this post is how it won't happen, Soma would get to be like DBFZ's 21, Julius may be a standard Belmont but he'd have a cooler final smash and Shanoa is so ****ing underrated I love her and her game so much
Soma would be our 21?! But we already have a pink character that can absorb enemy abilities! :p

Nah, but Soma really would be cool. I was first introduced to Castlevania with an LP of Aria of Sorrow, so it'd be cool seeing him.

You could definitely do something with enemy souls. Soma doesn't change with souls, unlike Kirby, and most souls use the same animation, so it won't necessarily be quite as difficult as doing Kirby again. For simplicity (and ease of development), it should probably just have the one type of soul, but I can't deny that having red, blue, and yellow souls per fighter would be fun.

Also, you could give him some souls from the game as well. I think you have to have the Flame Demon soul, the Giant Bat soul, and the Succubus soul all in there somewhere. And I feel like I'd want Student Witch in there as well. It always sticks in my head that you can just throw cats at people.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'd like to add my idea to this Waluigi discussion: Should Waluigi get Luigi's old Final Smash (Negative Zone) as HIS Final Smash? I think it would now fit Waluigi better than it would fit the Luigi with no Wa in his name.
That I could see working especially if the animation is based on his Special Shot from Mario Tennis Aces

And maybe the visual effect could be changed instead of just a circle of negative colors it's like a circle of rose petals that applies effects instead.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Soma would be our 21?! But we already have a pink character that can absorb enemy abilities! :p

Nah, but Soma really would be cool. I was first introduced to Castlevania with an LP of Aria of Sorrow, so it'd be cool seeing him.

You could definitely do something with enemy souls. Soma doesn't change with souls, unlike Kirby, and most souls use the same animation, so it won't necessarily be quite as difficult as doing Kirby again. For simplicity (and ease of development), it should probably just have the one type of soul, but I can't deny that having red, blue, and yellow souls per fighter would be fun.

Also, you could give him some souls from the game as well. I think you have to have the Flame Demon soul, the Giant Bat soul, and the Succubus soul all in there somewhere. And I feel like I'd want Student Witch in there as well. It always sticks in my head that you can just throw cats at people.
21 does it differently than Kirby, the attack she gets depends on the character type she absorbs, translating this in Smash would mean Soma would get say, Hellfire/Flame Demon soul by hitting Mario, Bowser, Charziard and other firey fighters with Soul Steal. Hitting a swordy with it would instead give him idk, the Sword familiar who'll fly to your enemies or the Valkyrie soul which does a massive upwards slash? Soma works very well with this idea.

Bro you ever play Dawn of Sorrow? One of the early bosses copies the soul you used, my flawless strategy after getting my ass handed to me was to toss cats at him and he'd toss them back, the catfight was optimal because he didn't jump a lot lmao

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Would Konami really be the right choice for helping get their footing in the Japanese market? Like.....I can understand Sega with having a good presence in Japan and having a good relationship with Microsoft, but what exactly does Konami have aside from pachinko machines(and would focusing on Pachinko machines while we're still in a pandemic really be ideal) and Yugioh for Japan? The only franchises I can really think of that have some sort of presence in Japan are Bomberman and Momotaro Densetsu. But some of Konami's other franchises appear to have alot more presence in the West and China compared to Japan.
I have no idea, honestly. Konami has a lot of IPs that Microsoft may want to do something with. Like I said, that's where I've heard the rumor. SEGA, like you said, has always seemed to make more sense. They have a relationship going back to the Dreamcast, correct? And even now, with Microsoft helping get Phantasy Star Online 2 over to the West, it is obvious that they like to work together on some things. Konami was just a name I heard mentioned, but like I said, not sure why/where that name came from. I would assume just because of their dormant IPs that fans really love.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Man, Square is pushing Tomb Raider’s 25th anniversary pretty hard. This is a lot harder than most companies seem to push anniversaries, even Nintendo. I wonder.... 🤔

Technomage

Smash Champion

Man, Square is pushing Tomb Raider’s 25th anniversary pretty hard. This is a lot harder than most companies seem to push anniversaries, even Nintendo. I wonder.... 🤔
That does sound interesting. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom