• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want? Honestly, this was surprisingly tough for me to decide on, but I think I’d go with:
  • Arthur - fun NES throwback
  • Chun-Li - “the first lady of fighting games”
  • Phoenix Wright - popular character with heavy Nintendo association
  • Amaterasu - insane moveset potential
  • Leon Kennedy - important series that would represent a new genre in Smash
  • Dante - crazy popularity and moveset potential
I thought about Monster Hunter, but I’m personally pretty happy with its representation in Smash.
Phoenix
Apollo
Athena
Edgeworth
Maya
Trucy

Edit: Shoot someone already made this joke lol
For real my list would probably look more like

Apollo (or Phoenix is good too)
Amaterasu
Dante
Tron Bonne
Monster Hunter (specifically from Rise, I want bug grapple...)
Chun-Li probably

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want? Honestly, this was surprisingly tough for me to decide on, but I think I’d go with:
I thought about Monster Hunter, but I’m personally pretty happy with its representation in Smash.
  1. Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney
  2. Dante from Devil May Cry
  3. Amaterasu from Okami
  4. Jill Valentine from Resident Evil
  5. Chun-Li form Street Fighter
  6. Morrigan Aesland from Darstalkers

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think it’s weird how we’ve gotten a Capcom costume nearly every character in FP2? It may be a sign we won’t get a Capcom character.

Also think it’s weird how we’ve gotten no Sega costumes in the same vain? It may be a sign we’ll get a Sega character.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Splatoon is pretty much the one exception. Nintendo knew they had a hit on their hands, as seen when they announced amiibo before the game even came out. I'm fairly sure Sakurai would have had the time and resources to add playable Inklings in Smash 4, but held off on it because they needed a new franchise to debut with the new game that was already being planned.
I don't think they knew right out the gate..remember that Chibi Robo had an a amiibo figure for its 3DS game too. During the DLC planning, I don't think they were certain Splatoon would be a massive hit and thus opted for Mii Fighters, and of course a new series to possibly add to the next Smash was just icing on the cake.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want?
  1. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
  2. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
  3. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]
  4. Amaterasu [Okami]
  5. Dante [Devil May Cry]
  6. Viewtiful Joe [Viewtiful Joe]

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Date Masamune
Nathan "Rad" Spencer
Asura
Regina
Hayato Kanzaki
Jin Satome

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyone think it’s weird how we’ve gotten a Capcom costume nearly every character in FP2? It may be a sign we won’t get a Capcom character.

Also think it’s weird how we’ve gotten no Sega costumes in the same vain? It may be a sign we’ll get a Sega character.
We... haven't got a Capcom costume with nearly every character in FP2. This most recent wave was the first time we got Capcom costumes since FP1.

Also, it'd be weirder if we got no Sega costumes at all but we got like eight during the first pass. By my count that's only surpassed by Square's nine.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Essential?
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultdk::ultdiddy:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultyoshi:
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:
:ultfox:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:
:ultfalcon:
:ultness:
:ultmarth::ultike::ultchrom::ultbyleth:(too blue)
:ultpit:
:ultwario:
:ultolimar:
:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultshulk:
:ultinkling:
You could make the argument for Mii... but I don't want to, lol.

:ultsonic:
:ultmegaman:
:ultpacman:

There you go. 38 characters. I await the dissent, especially over the third-parties.

And just keep in mind I cut both my mains so I'm not being biased here.
Just about how I'd see mine aside from maybe swapping Ridley for someone like Greninja, Little Mac, or the Miis. Also Chrom for Robin. Isabelle I'd love to be a stickler on but it's hard to argue with those New Horizons numbers.

Would be curious to hear your reasoning on Bayonetta given her unique position.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
  • Takenaka Hanbei (please give me an alt without a stupid mask)
  • Asura
I can't think of any others who I really want, but there are probably some who I would, were I aware of them. There are plenty who would be cool, though.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just about how I'd see mine aside from maybe swapping Ridley for someone like Greninja, Little Mac, or the Miis. Also Chrom for Robin. Isabelle I'd love to be a stickler on but it's hard to argue with those New Horizons numbers.

Would be curious to hear your reasoning on Bayonetta given her unique position.
It's funny because Animal Crossing has been a very successful series for a long time now, but it seems like people sort of slept on that until New Horizons took it into the stratosphere. But prior to that it had two titles which sold over ten million copies. That's pretty impressive.

Anyway, I can't argue that Bayo has a relationship with Nintendo so close its intertwined, but at the end of the day she's not a Nintendo character. She's a third-party with two games of middling success and a third on the way that hopefully does a little better. It would be hard to reconcile her place along with Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man when there's so much disparity between them in everything but a close association to Nintendo.

And there are other third-parties I omitted who also have a strongly conjoined history, such as Banjo. And he even had a level of popularity that Bayo lacked.

So, I don't anticipate her being cut, but I don't see her as an essential aspect of Smash either.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If 2B was in Smash, I picture her reveal trailer having her slaughter a giant army of R.O.Bs before impaling Mega Man with her sword just like what Ridley did to him.
(She destroys robots and kills them mistaking Mega Man as one.)
I would think due to his humanoid look, he'd be mistaken as an android.

SKX31

Smash Master
I would quite unironically and gladly accept getting some of Civ6's soundtrack into Smash somehow. Or Baba Yetu to represent the series as a whole.
Oh, I fully agree with you there. It's a case where I have real problems imagining a character, but the soundtrack would be a refreshing fit for Smash. Mostly because the songs are really well remixed (it's one reason I've been infrequently posting the Civ 6 Atomic themes) and cover musical styles that are not often seen in Smash. Sure, most songs are rather calm or uplifting, but they'd still work well overall.

Okay so mine is going to look like most, but:

• Dante
  • Amaterasu
  • Phoenix
  • Strider Hiryu
  • Chun-Li
  • Mega Man X

Also:

While this 2 hour talk mostly focused on Patch 11.0's competitive implications, they started speculating about the last two DLC characters at the 1 hour 51 minute mark and went on for a solid 13 minutes about it, as well as the very slight possibility of a FP3 after that. The video's timestamped to that moment for convinience.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
my capcom reps
  • Arisen & Pawn (Dragon's Dogma)
  • Gene (God Hand)
  • Dante (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniax)
  • Lilith (Darkstalkers) cause she's cuter than Morrigan
  • Vaati (The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (made by Capcom!!!))
  • uhh, they made the Jojo arcade game? Heritage for the Future? one of those guys... young Joseph, I guess

:drshrug: I'm not a Capcom fan and of the games I am a fan of, they aren't exactly longrunning franchises. Sorry not sorry to the fans of Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Okami, Dead Rising, Marvel vs Capcom, Powerstone, Rival Schools and whatever else they've made.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
We've already got a decent amount of Street Fighter music, even though it's all from SF2. If Chun-Li could come with some MvC2 music, she'd instantly become one of my most-wanted characters. :>

Edit: inb4 the Amingo comments start
What if Chun-Li comes with 10 tracks from SF 3/4/5, 10 tracks from MvC, 10 tracks from SvC, and 10 tracks from TvC?

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
The only Capcom series I ever got that invested in is Megaman. So I'd add Zero since he's easily one of the most popular characters in the series (maybe most popular?) and I think he is quite cool myself. I'd also add Sigma I guess just because I like him as a villain and I'm always down for more villain reps in Smash.

Past that, I'd add Chun Li. Never really got that into Street Fighter, but even I think she'd be a cool addition just because of how iconic and important she is.

And...that's really all I'd care to personally add really. Just those 3 characters.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
We've already got a decent amount of Street Fighter music, even though it's all from SF2. If Chun-Li could come with some MvC2 music, she'd instantly become one of my most-wanted characters. :>

Edit: inb4 the Amingo comments start
Amingo?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mega Man X
Chun-Li
Dante
Jill
Phoenix Wright
Strider

Mostly each from a different genre, with Strider just being a cool future Ninja, and giving MM and SF more stuff cause they're pretty cool.

If I was allowed one obscure Capcom dude, I'd go with Gene from God Hand since he's incredibly over the top and whacky while still having a lot of badass moves.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Capcom Pass?
1. Dr. Wily
2. Proto Man
3. Bass
4. Mega Man X
5. Zero
6. Sigma
7. Dante
8. Monster Hunter
9. Chun-Li
10. Akuma

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
my capcom reps
  • Arisen & Pawn (Dragon's Dogma)
  • Gene (God Hand)
  • Dante (Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Maniax)
  • Lilith (Darkstalkers) cause she's cuter than Morrigan
  • Vaati (The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (made by Capcom!!!))
  • uhh, they made the Jojo arcade game? Heritage for the Future? one of those guys... young Joseph, I guess

:drshrug: I'm not a Capcom fan and of the games I am a fan of, they aren't exactly longrunning franchises. Sorry not sorry to the fans of Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, Okami, Dead Rising, Marvel vs Capcom, Powerstone, Rival Schools and whatever else they've made.
As a Capcom fan, you're forgiven as you somehow knew Gene at the very least

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a fun game. Given that most people aren’t expecting Capcom to get any fighters in this pass, I have a question: If Fighters Pass 3 was exclusively Capcom characters, who would you want?
  • Arthur
  • Zero
  • Dante
  • Morrigan
  • Amaterasu
  • Chun-Li
"What about a certain Horror game series?" some of you may ask.

Doesn't have Smash appeal to me, sorry mate.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As a Capcom fan, you're forgiven as you somehow knew Gene at the very least
I'm a Capcom fan too. Lol.
I just have extreme preference for Mascot Platformers.

"What about a certain Horror game series?" some of you may ask.

Doesn't have Smash appeal to me, sorry mate.
Same-ish. I wouldn't mind Leon, but realistic human characters are the least hype to me.
I find COD insufferable whereas I find Overwatch, Team Fortress 2, DOOM, and even Halo to be quite enjoyable.
Same distaste for GTA.
Generic humans = 😴

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Interesting video by max. He has connections in the fighting game industry so he probably does know stuff we don't. I will say though that the stuff he says about Fighters Pass 2 are already things we know about. He basically says that Fighters Pass 2 was planned very much in advance before the announcement.
To be fair, I think that's kind of publicly known already, because of the "Steve took 5 years" thing.

Considering who we got in Volume 2 so far and how Sakurai said himself that we would have gotten a couple more characters after Volume 1, I'd wager at least Steve and Sephiroth were already in the backburner, just waiting for approval and finishing negotiations.

As for ARMS and Xenoblade, they were very clearly in some sort of "in case we can make more DLC" plan, especially seeing as Sakurai straight up namedropped both franchises as almost making the cut for base game. Being in-house certainly helps with the approval process - so much so that Monolith did a lot of stuff on their own.

Question is: where does this leave the last two candidates? Are they like Steve and Sephiroth, just taking this long because of negotiations? Are they like Min Min and Pyra, characters who were "set aside" in case of a Volume 2? Or are they someone completely new, chosen 2 years ago during Volume 1?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace
Seeing as the thread is a bit slow right now, I'll share something that has been on my mind for the last week.

You know, I've picked up Hades recently and I am simply addicted right now. I can completely see why this game should have won GOTY 2020, and now I'm frankly a bit pissed lol. Anyways, seeing that it is exclusive to Switch and PC, SGG planning on releasing it in Japan soon and Nintendo advertising the game quite a lot on social media when it released. I do think that some form of Hades representation is possible.

Well, not as a full-fledged fighter of course, it's a bit too soon for that. But moreso either as a Mii Costume or a Spirit Event whenever the game comes out in Japan. Though if Zagreus did come as a fighter, I think he'd have his best shot in a hypothetical third pass. I can already imagine a Shulk-like gimmick where certain stats/moves get buffed depending on which boon he currently has equipped. Seeing as Hades is quite a deep game on the technical front with tons of fat mechanics, there's a lot of potential for a fighter gameplay-wise.

Well yeah, that's really it. Hades is a very popular game so I'd imagine that there are a ton of people here that have already played it. But if you haven't, go try it out. It's splendid. And become addicted like me and many others oooooooooooo

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seeing as the thread is a bit slow right now, I'll share something that has been on my mind for the last week.

You know, I've picked up Hades recently and I am simply addicted right now. I can completely see why this game should have won GOTY 2020, and now I'm frankly a bit pissed lol. Anyways, seeing that it is exclusive to Switch and PC, SGG planning a on releasing it in Japan and Nintendo advertising the game quite a lot on social media when it released. I do think that some form of Hades representation is possible.

Well, not as a full-fledged fighter of course, it's a bit too soon for that. But moreso either as a Mii Costume or a Spirit Event whenever the game comes out in Japan. Though if Zagreus did come as a fighter, I think he'd have his best shot in a hypothetical third pass. I can already imagine a Shulk-like gimmick where certain stats/moves get buffed depending on which boon he currently has equipped. Seeing as Hades is quite a deep game on the technical front with tons of fat mechanics, there's a lot of potential for a fighter gameplay-wise.

Well yeah, that's really it. Hades is a very popular game so I'd imagine that there are a ton of people here that have already played it. But if you haven't, go try it out. It's splendid. And become addicted like me and many others oooooooooooo
Hades is ****ing phenomenal and once someone got me the idea of Zag using Boons like how Nick used evidence in MvC, I was entirely sold on the concept.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think that an entire chunk of the DLC have been realistic humans expect for three: Banjo-Kazooie, Steve and Piranha Plant.

(Wish we got more variety like having a quadrupled animal fighter who could be someone like Amaterasu.)
And this was also the case for Smash 4's DLC, except for Mewtwo and Lucas.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
  • Amaterasu
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Dante
  • Jill Valentine
  • Zero
  • Morrigan

I would quite unironically and gladly accept getting some of Civ6's soundtrack into Smash somehow. Or Baba Yetu to represent the series as a whole.
I never though I'd see Civ 6 discussed in this thread but the themes being in Smash would be a dream come true. The Atomic themes for America, Canada, the Inca, Vietnam and more would fit so freaking well here.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This unrelated and not calling anyone out. But if I hear one more time on Twitter that Ridley is one of the easiest cuts because “Hes not important” I’m gonna lose it. The dude had been wanted since Melee and probably would’ve made it in Brawl had Sakurai known how to design him.

Seriously, Twitter gives me a headache sometimes.
Not important? Lol.

Ignoring the fact Ridley is to Samus as what Bowser is to the Mario Bros, what King K. Rool is to Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf to Link. Pretty good reason folks wanted him since Melee, myself included.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
  • Dante
  • Vergil
  • Leon Kennedy
  • Chun-Li
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Monster Hunter

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think that an entire chunk of the DLC have been realistic humans expect for three: Banjo-Kazooie, Steve and Piranha Plant.

(Wish we got more variety like having a quadrupled animal fighter who could be someone like Amaterasu.)
Crash at this point is pretty much our best bet although I'm not expecting him to happen.

I would love for Amaterasu. Can't imagine how creative and beautifully done her moveset would be given how beautiful and creative Okami is.
I can completely see why this game should have won GOTY 2020
Anything but TLoU: Part II. Every game that was nominated that year was robbed of its title.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  • Chris Redfield - I know Jill and Leon are more popular with the Smash fanbase but honestly I always viewed Chris as the main protagonist, what with the central conflict being between him and Wesker and Capcom having had Chris appear in some form(usually playable) for the past four numbered games that aren't remakes. The fact VIllage heavily implies he might become a werewolf only sweetens the deal for me...and if nothing else watching him punch a boulder on to his hapless opponent before bringing out the rocket launcher or his mini gun is the most appealing to me.
  • Frank West - Dead Rising is a fantastic series that is often overlooked. With his quirky fighting style and the later additions of wacky weapon crafting, Frank is a must for me.
  • Chun-Li - No brainer, Chun-Li is one of the most iconic video game gals after Lara Croft and Princess Peach. Where Ryu goes in spinoffs she usually follows.
  • Phoenix Wright - a smaller series, but one that's very popular with Smash fans. Bound to be an unconventional fighter.
  • Palico and Palimute - Yep. With Monster Hunter Mii outfitting their lead, I'd be okay with Palico picking up the mantle Pyra/Mythra style with Palamute.
  • Dante - The only game on the list I don't personally care that much about, but Dante is a big enough deal that I can't justify not including him.
I'd be happy with Jill, Wesker or Leon over Dante but nah man, I want Chris first.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Amaterasu
Asura
Dante
Morrigan Aensland
Nemesis
Phoenix Wright

Dante is for the fans.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Capcom pass

Chun-Li - One of the most iconic video game characters not in. Honestly feels incomplete without her alongside Ryu. Boost SF rep beyond just SF2.
Monster Hunter - Huge IP, big with Nintendo. Has some of the coolest stage potential with monsters in the background.
Jill Valentine - This slot could go to her or Leon honestly, I just chose Jill to get another female character in the game.
Phoenix Wright - Solely because my friend really wants him in. He's be an off the wall pick and the strong Nintendo connection is a nice bonus.
Dante - He's cool. That's it. That's all you need.
Mike Haggar - I feel like people sleep on Final Fight, and Haggar is an icon of Capcom who should be in Smash in some capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom