• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like playing as Hero and Steve a lot, and I'd be sad if they were to be cut, but I'd be OK. There will be new coil characters to play, and they'll always be in Ultimate. It'll also make it even more hype when they eventually return in a few games.
I mean

I don’t disagree but

I wouldn’t want anyone I like in particular to miss out fighting against the next Smash’s newcomers if you get my drift

and who knows when the next grand reunion will happen? That’s why I’d prefer to live in the now

it sounds a bit sappy but that’s what I feel

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
Made a list with 51 veterans. The exact amount of characters there were in base game 4 total

:ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultwario::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultridley::ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede::ultfox::ultfalco::ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultcharizard::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin::ultbyleth::ultpit::ultpalutena::ultolimar::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultlittlemac::ultshulk::ultpyra::ultinkling::ultminmin:ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ulthero::ultsteve:

I made sure at least one rep from every first party to ever get a smash character is here. The extra ones got in by a case by case basis.

As for the third parties, I went for what I'd consider the essentials. Some of the first characters/franchises people think of when they think video games
I actually feel this is a roster most people could get behind. It has a great balance of old and new characters that are recognizable to all types of Smash fans.

That being said, there is one choice that you made that I disagree with.

I'm saying this as somebody who isn't even close to being a Square fan, but....

Why Hero over Cloud?

I understand DQ is pretty much the reason RPGs are the way they are, but if your goal was to get third parties that people first think of when talking about video games, I think that would mainly apply in DQ's home turf and not so much overseas.

Final Fantasy may not be bigger than DQ in Japan, but its influence is fairly balanced across all regions. FFVII isn't the first JRPG to exist, but to the general Western market, it might as well have been since it singlehandedly made an entire generation of gamers fans of the genre, and Cloud was the face of this growth.

I realize the West doesn't represent the entire world, but while DQ might be the more influential series, Cloud might be the closest thing we have to "Mr. JRPG."

I think this is less about you making a poor choice and more so the fact that with Ultimate giving us everything, it makes cuts even more difficult to swallow.

In an ideal world, we'd have both lol.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I actually feel this is a roster most people could get behind. It has a great balance of old and new characters that are recognizable to all types of Smash fans.

Why Hero over Cloud?

I understand DQ is pretty much the reason RPGs are the way they are, but if your goal was to get third parties that people first think of when talking about video games, I think that would mainly apply in DQ's home turf and not so much overseas.

Final Fantasy may not be bigger than DQ in Japan, but its influence is fairly balanced across all regions. FFVII isn't the first JRPG to exist, but to the general Western market, it might as well have been since it singlehandedly made an entire generation of gamers fans of the genre, and Cloud was the face of this growth.

I realize the West doesn't represent the entire world, but while DQ might be the more influential series, Cloud might be the closest thing we have to "Mr. JRPG."

I think this is less about you making a poor choice and more so the fact that with Ultimate giving us everything, it makes cuts even more difficult to swallow.
Worth pointing out that DQ was easier to get material of than FFVII, to Sakurai's surprise.

So that might be the case moving forward.

I agree FFVII is overall the more important choice, though they both are very important as is. Mr. RPG being added does make a lot of sense. Hero is an absolutely amazing choice on their own, too, but it's not as notable in comparison. Albeit, Hero is also the epitome of the importance of the class affecting rpg's, so they have different importance. One is what made characters like Cloud plausible, while Cloud is significantly more recognizable.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I specified veteran :4pacman:
anyway here's my roster including newcomers

:ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultpeach: :ultbowser: :ultyoshi: :ultwario: :ultlink: :ultzelda: :ultganondorf: :ultpikachu:
:ultmewtwo: :ultcharizard: :ultgreninja: :ultlucario: :ultjigglypuff: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultkrool: :ultsamus: :ultridley:
:ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: :ultmetaknight: :ultfox: :ultfalcon: :ultness: :ultmarth: :ultrobin: :ultbylethf: :ultgnw:
:ultpit: :ultrob: :ultolimar: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: :ultshulk: :ultpyra: :ultduckhunt: :ultinkling: :ultminmin

:ultbayonetta: :ultsonic: :ultpacman: :ultsteve: :ulthero: :ultryu: :ultmegaman: :ultcloud:

which is a total of 48 for veterans

and im adding in 16 newcomers for a total of 64

those being

pokemon flavour of the week
Fire emblem flavour of the week
xenoblade flavour of the week
karate joe
akira
stylist
ring fit adventurer
ayumi tachibana
tom nook
octoling
bandana dee

Resident evil rep
Monster hunter
tales of rep
crash bandicoot
Ryu hayabusa
(assuming none of these are dlc)
with dlc we'll probably see more return :ultrosalina: :ultsnake: :ult_terry: :ulticeclimbers: and :ultsephiroth: come to mind, on top of newcomers of course.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
so who do you guys want for the rest of fighters pass?
If I had final say in the final 2 picks, I would go Shantae and Heavy.

The former has been my most wanted since 2015.
The later I personally want as I really enjoy Team Fortress 2.

Of course reality will be different but exciting as I could get a character I never knew I wanted.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Why Hero over Cloud?

I debated this myself, and if I had room for one more character, it would've been Cloud (and in retrospect, I wish I swapped him with someone like Meta Knight), but I opted Hero for due to A. potentialy being a bit easier to acquire. And B. this is a Japanese developed game, and as such I selected the characters with slightly Japanese skewed mindset. Appears it wasn't the ideal mindset, but hey

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Brian(Quest 64)
Impa(Legend of Zelda, Oracle design)

It's hard for the second one. I'd love Scorpion, Isaac, Master Chief, Doomguy, Agumon, ToyAgumon... but I feel like another 1st party is coming and I don't think Isaac's in a good spot. Impa still has a chance, but I already pretty much figured out her non-canon spin-off design wouldn't be more than a Spirit if at all. It was a given that they'd use a canon design if choosing her. You can also add ALTTP/Classic Ganon to the list. I wish he had at least had the Oracle spirit in...(and Ganondorf has an unused Oracle design they could use for the Final Smash >.>).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'll say it again, I want a hard reboot for the next Smash. It's too hard to think of who to keep, who to ditch, etc. Just start from the ground-up, take a different route. EVERYONE IS HERE was Ultimate's thing. It's nice, but we'll have to move on eventually. Just wipe the slate clean; Fix representation issues with some series, have better stage variety, redo movesets, add some fresh new mechanics-Not any massive gameplay shifts, mind you, just some little things to set it apart from the predecessors.
As cool as it is to have such a massive roster, it makes a lot of characters get lost in there. It's easy to forget some characters exist beyond the more recent ones. I guess you just take everything for granted, and some characters just become less special. A full reboot would even the field, I think; Bring everyone up to the new standards, make sure they each get some time to shine. Sure, we might lose some veterans in there, but DLC's always a thing. Assuming the next console's backwards compatible, we'd still have Ultimate itself anyways, so everyone would still be there.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I debated this myself, and if I had room for one more character, it would've been Cloud (and in retrospect, I wish I swapped him with someone like Meta Knight), but I opted Hero for due to A. potentialy being a bit easier to acquire. And B. this is a Japanese developed game, and as such I selected the characters with slightly Japanese skewed mindset. Appears it wasn't the ideal mindset, but hey
I guess I didn't consider how easy it was to get the character.

In that regard, that is rather fair. As much as it would be nice to get Cloud in the base game, it would probably be better if we got the character as DLC so that we'd get all of the accompanying FFVII content with him.

It's all opinions at the end of the day. If I came off as if I was putting you down, I would like to apologize. I'm not exactly the greatest at wording my opinions and that can come off the wrong way.

Appreciate the response!

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I dunno, Excitebiker could probably be added?
Ayumi Tachibana tho
Just please give me any of these: Reimu, a LoL character, Gunvolt, Octoling, KOS-MOS or Arle. Elma and Neku are basically deconfirmed, Fiora (who I voted for) was actually deconfirmed from day 1 (why did you give me hope Chrom), and Black Shadow... HAHAHAHAHA sobs

Just give me at least ONE person I really want and I’ll feel better

yeq

Smash Cadet
Double post, remember to edit your posts.
I'll say it again, I want a hard reboot for the next Smash. It's too hard to think of who to keep, who to ditch, etc. Just start from the ground-up, take a different route. EVERYONE IS HERE was Ultimate's thing. It's nice, but we'll have to move on eventually. Just wipe the slate clean; Fix representation issues with some series, have better stage variety, redo movesets, add some fresh new mechanics-Not any massive gameplay shifts, mind you, just some little things to set it apart from the predecessors.
As cool as it is to have such a massive roster, it makes a lot of characters get lost in there. It's easy to forget some characters exist beyond the more recent ones. I guess you just take everything for granted, and some characters just become less special. A full reboot would even the field, I think; Bring everyone up to the new standards, make sure they each get some time to shine. Sure, we might lose some veterans in there, but DLC's always a thing. Assuming the next console's backwards compatible, we'd still have Ultimate itself anyways, so everyone would still be there.
YOOOOOOOOOOOO THAT WOULD BE SICK!!!!!!!!!!!

also any important leaks i should know about or none so far

Otoad64

Smash Lord
honestly, that's pretty much exactly what I want for the next Smash

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman
I agree. Everyone returning is Ultimate's gimmick, leave the new Smash to bring something else to the table.

I'm really hoping for some revamped movesets and personalities tho (Ganondorf, DK, Wario, Bowser, Chrom are my personal picks for reworks, both moveset and personality wise).

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Man, now I want to put together a theoretical reboot roster of my own. What's that roster maker y'all are using? I think I've found it, but it's version 11, which seems to be from right after the E3 presentation for Ultimate.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Speaking of cut-down rosters I did this thing a while back, I don't think this is how they'd realistically approach it but I basically challenged myself to keep 40 first-parties (without counting the Mii Fighters who I'd keep but I really didn't know what to make of them) and 10 third-parties and then add a regular amount of newcomers (I'll be in the minority here and say that while I think they'll shrink it down a fair bit, I don't think it'll be that small).

I also made this after Min Min but before Steve, so if you're asking yourself why the 3 most recent additions to Smash are not anywhere here, it's not that I wouldn't keep them - it's that they simply weren't a part of Smash yet when I first made this and I can't be arsed to reorder this whole thing to accomodate for them. So for the sake of my own sanity, just imagine they're in the roster too, I guess

40 first-party veterans (again, not counting the Mii Fighters): :ultbowser::ultbyleth::ultfalcon::ultdiddy::ultdk::ultfalco::ultfox::ultganondorf::ultgreninja: :ultike::ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultkirby::ultlink::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultluigi::ultmario::ultmarth::ultmetaknight::ultmewtwo::ultminmin:ultgnw::ultness::ultolimar::ultpeach::ultpikachu::ultpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultridley::ultrob::ultsamus::ultshulk::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultyoshi::ultzelda:
10 third-party veterans: :ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ulthero3::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsimon::ultsnake::ultsonic:

Again, you can imagine Steve, Seph and Pyra are in here as well if you want to. Veteran DLC would prolly be somethin like :ultjigglypuff: as a free bonus at some point since they are kind of a Smash legacy character, and then at least :ultrobin::ultpalutena::ultjoker::ult_terry:

As for the newcomers I had cooked up...

-Waluigi, Dee and Dixie: the trifecta of obvious super duper popular first-party "fleshing out the cast" characters that everyone and their mother talks about
-Officer Howard, Ring Fit Trainee and Isaac: the 3 new major Nintendo IP additions to the roster. Astral Chain and Ring Fit for being the new hotness, and Golden Sun for being the "niche fan-favorite" sorta pick
-Lyn, Skull Kid and Tom Nook: another round of just really popular first-party characters from popular series, though these are a bit less talked about and rely moreso on themselves than "filling out the cast"
-Takamaru and Stylist: the "retro rep" and general Wii Fit Trainer-style left-fielder respectively. Taka in particular is worth noting since he'd be a return to the more straightforward, Pit-in-Brawl style "hey it's just this 8-bit era Nintendo character coming back, ain't that epic" retro rep, instead of the likes of Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt who could simultaneously be counted as retros and left-fielders
-Chun-Li for the "additional third-party rep" quota
-The two main brand new third-parties: Bomberman and Arle. I imagine they'd save the more crazy, out-there, super hype third-parties for DLC so I decided to play it relatively safe with the base game and have two characters that, while popular, recognizable and "hype", aren't super earth-shattering, are more closely tied to Nintendo, and come from companies that already have a presence in the roster since way back. Basically, they'd be more Simon than Joker, if that makes any sense.

-I also think we could keep Echoes, in which case I would absolutely make Octolings a thing

As for potential newcomer DLC:
-general Pokemon, FE and Xenoblade slots, I'd imagine, I think we could also throw a second ARMS character in there, could be anyone really
-Aside from that I think for first-parties I'd just continue to add more popular characters, whether they'd be additional series reps or bringing more IPs into the roster
-As for third-parties: aside from the general "now is when we go crazier" promise, I'd also maybe put in a few other picks that would also work in the base game like a second Sonic character, a second Bamco character, a new Capcom series being added to the roster (whether it be, MH, RE, DMC (this one in particular though I'd peg for DLC specifically unlike the others), AA, etc), Hayabusa or an indie
-Aside from that, just go nuts lol. Pick out big huge names like Crash, Chief or Lara Croft, or more niche names like Sol or Kiryu or Travis, at this stage the boundaries are limitless for third-parties again

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Man, now I want to put together a theoretical reboot roster of my own. What's that roster maker y'all are using? I think I've found it, but it's version 11, which seems to be from right after the E3 presentation for Ultimate.
that's the version I have, but you can just download or make icons for the other characters

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I know it was asked a few pages back but when do Famitsu columns usually drop, what day of the week?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah **** here we go again
Lucas AND Dark Pit glitches? Hoo boy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom