• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
That's like the "Smash is for good boys and girls" thing, which has been repeated infinitely, and it is used against almost all female characters.

"Your most wanted is a girl and she has her wrists exposed? Well, I don't know, Smash is for good boys and girls."

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Yeah people got way too carried away with that Sakurai quote lmao

Like the dude also said he said No to Takamaru due to not being well known enough world wide back in Smash 4 lol, it's still something they very much consider.
So, it's more like a half-and-half thing?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That won't stop people wanting her to step on them tbh
Oh, no, it will not. If anything, it will encourage them, and Yoko Taro is more than likely aware of that.

god.png

Agreed. My main issue is that people seem to flip flop. After Terry, Byleth, and Min Min everyone thought there were no heavy hitters left. Then after Steve and Sephiroth people thought that they would all be heavy hitters. Like, dude the man said “not just recognizable” not “iconicness doesn’t matter”. Smash speculation is a strange beast.
At the very least, we're easy to understand. Everyone we don't know yet will be just like the most recent fighter :4pacman:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's like the "Smash is for good boys and girls", which has been repeated infinitely" thing, which is used against almost all female characters.

"Your most wanted is a girl and she has her wrists exposed? Well, I don't know, Smash is for good boys and girls."
I genuinely believe that if Sakurai made that joke in the Brawl days then people would have gone absolutely ape**** at Rosalina exposing her scandalously exposed, painted fingernails, which would naturally get every person watching do the Tex Avery wolf whistle because no woman in Smash had exposed hands or some ****

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, like

How much money do I gotta pay Sakurai to make him reveal a Hat Kid PreeMiium Mii this Thursday?

Nintendo pls I want it. :138:
You must beat him in Smash to get your request guaranteed, otherwise you must pray every day and end every prayer with "Tee Why Mashpotato Samurai" instead of "Amen"

Pillow

Smash Lord
That's like the "Smash is for good boys and girls" thing, which has been repeated infinitely, and it is used against almost all female characters.

People also always ignore the fact that Mai was never going to be more than a stage background anyway. If they wanted her as a playable character they could just give her shorts and call it a day, they just didn’t want to deal with the effort of censoring a stage background character.

So, like

How much money do I gotta pay Sakurai to make him reveal a Hat Kid PreeMiium Mii this Thursday?

Nintendo pls I want it. :138:
Ideally she comes with a normal head and a smug face head.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
People also always ignore the fact that Mai was never going to be more than a stage background anyway. If they wanted her as a playable character they could just give her shorts and call it a day, they just didn’t want to deal with the effort of censoring a stage background character.
Well, they would have also had to cover Mai's sideboob and cleavage as well.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Was Cuphead the last indie game to get content (Mii outfits, music, spirits) in Smash Ultimate?

It's a shame because there's quite a few indie games/series that'd make for great outfits/spirit events: Celeste, Yooka-Laylee, Hades, Hat in Time, etc.
Maybe you could count Steve or Travis, depending on how strict or broad your definition of indie is. Steve used to be an indie until Microsoft happened, and I'm actually not sure on Travis' situation.

But yeah, it's interesting that we haven't gotten a true, unambiguous indie series represented in over a year now. Hmm...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Just getting the occasional wave of Mii Fighter costumes, even after the end of the second pass doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world to me. Yeah it won't be as hype as full blown characters, but given the sheer amount of potential there (including as noted, indie characters), it'd something to look forward to every month or every other month.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Thankfully Pyra and Mythra shut that mentality down.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I wish there were more big characterless content updates for this game.

Smash 4's DLC was neat because even when new fighters were taking ages to create/release (literally a half a year gap between Ryu and Cloud!), we still had major updates that included new/returning stages, balance changes and Mii Fighter outfits. Pretty much the only two instances of Ultimate getting stuff like that were the VR mode update back in May 2019 and the Small Battlefield update back in August last year. Otherwise, we're pretty much just waiting months on end for any sort of new content to come out because it's almost always saved for when newcomers come out, outside of the occasional new spirit event we get once every blue moon.

Like damn, the period from February - June last year from freaking brutal because there was like almost half a year of no new content, not even a smaller Small Battlefield styled update just to hold us over until then as did they later.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Smash 4's DLC was neat because even when new fighters were taking ages to create/release (literally a half a year gap between Ryu and Cloud!), we still had major updates that included new/returning stages, balance changes and Mii Fighter outfits. Pretty much the only two instances of Ultimate getting stuff like that were the VR mode update back in May 2019 and the Small Battlefield update back in August last year. Otherwise, we're pretty much just waiting months on end for any sort of new content to come out because it's almost always saved for when newcomers come out, outside of the occasional new spirit event we get once every blue moon.

Like damn, the period from February - June last year from freaking brutal because there was like almost half a year of no new content, not even a smaller Small Battlefield styled update just to hold us over until then as did they later.
Honestly even getting a few of the old remaining stages back would be something. Sector Z and Planet Zebes from SSB 64 returning wouldn't be groundbreaking, but they would be a pleasant surprise to have pop up; same with Melee Mute City or Poke Floats.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Honestly even getting a few of the old remaining stages back would be something. Sector Z and Planet Zebes from SSB 64 returning wouldn't be groundbreaking, but it would be a pleasant surprise to have pop up; same with Melee Mute City or Poke Floats.
or PAC-MAZE, or RAINBOW ROAD, or WOOLY WORLD!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I feel the same way, although with Capcom it's more like "I love ALL of these characters" rather than a lack of attachment. The Capcom "family" kinda blends together where it's difficult for me to even see Chun-Li as an "additional rep" as much as it's just CHUN-LI IN SMASH which is a huge deal in and of itself.
I mean... There are this super popular and cool capcom characters that are based in movie monsters that everyone loves but thye dont have a game for themselves for example...

Speaking seriously, at this point I think I would just be happy with a switch, or steam rerererelease of darkstalkers 3 :(

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honestly even getting a few of the old remaining stages back would be something. Sector Z and Planet Zebes from SSB 64 returning wouldn't be groundbreaking, but they would be a pleasant surprise to have pop up; same with Melee Mute City or Poke Floats.
Always wondered why those were the only two Smash 64 stages that didn't return, although I guess the main reason is that Corneria and Brinstar effectively take their place in terms of purpose.

SKX31

Smash Master
Maybe the whole situation was a mix of CERO being CERO, Sakurai not wanting to make big changes for a background cameo, or SNK not wanting Mai to be redesigned. Who knows.
SNK's completely fine with altering Mai - for example her appearance in Honor of Kings:

may.jpg

An overview of her abilities in that game here (Mandarin with English subtitles).

I'm willing to say it's mostly Sakurai not wanting to make big changes for the background cameo - that and he might've decided that getting confused comments over why Mai is more dressed than usual would not be worth it. And really, I would not blame him if the latter's the case.

(Since Tencent redesigned Honor of Kings into Arena of Valor outside of China and swapped around the characters neither Mai nor the other SNK characters in HoK - like Nakoruru - are present in AoV, instead they're replaced by characters that play mostly if not the same. Which lead to some strange stuff like Superman and Batman being in AoV... but Wonder Woman being a skin in HoK. What.

Still though, the fact that Mario is only one step removed from DC as well - via Nakoruru - is kinda wild.)

Always wondered why those were the only two Smash 64 stages that didn't return, although I guess the main reason is that Corneria and Brinstar effectively take their place in terms of purpose.
That; and it's worth noting that both Corneria and Brinstar are condensed stages in essence. Sector Z's Great Fox is huge and some characters IIRC struggled with getting up on the main wing from the hangar bay (characters like :link64: who had almost no height gain with his Up B), while Zebes was big enough that people could get bounced around in lava for way longer. Brinstar did add that organic section that can be attacked and temporarily split up the battlefield too.

I'm spitballing here, but I really wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai thought like that since 64's and Melee's stages were mainly built with 4-player fun in mind. So it isn't a huge leap to say that he and HAL might've gone back to square 1 with Sector Z and Zebes to rework them into their spiritual successors.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What if we got a Gunvolt Mii Costume for this pack?

I was thinking for him to be an underdog/sleeper pick as well (i see him having some benefits that Reimu and Quote don't have) but i could see him getting the costume treatment this pass.
Dude that’s all I’ve ever wanted

even more so if he comes with a song

I just want Gunvolt representation 🥺

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Alright time to bring up something random I thought about today.

Of all the preexisting characters used in Smash trailers for Ultimate, there aren't any trailers that involve the Star Fox cast. It's crazy to think we've seen characters like Luigi, Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, and Little Mac have a prominent role in a Smash trailer, and yet there isn't 1 that involves Fox. I'm not going to count WoL cause that was just the opening cutscene to the game, so it gives me a somewhat suspicious feeling 1 of the last 2 DLC characters will have a trailer that involves him. The only 3 characters that could include him in my head are Master Chief, Doom Slayer, and Jonesy, and I legit cannot believe how possible that sounds now.

There's also Pikachu and the rest of the Pokemon cast, but I kinda hope this is the only time we see Pikachu in a CGI trailer cause there's no better way for him to be in it other than what we got in Sephiroth's trailer:

pikachuisded.png

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Of all the preexisting characters used in Smash trailers for Ultimate, there aren't any trailers that involve the Star Fox cast. It's crazy to think we've seen characters like Luigi, Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, and Little Mac have a prominent role in a Smash trailer, and yet there isn't 1 that involves Fox. I'm not going to count WoL cause that was just the opening cutscene to the game, so it gives me a somewhat suspicious feeling 1 of the last 2 DLC characters will have a trailer that involves him. The only 3 characters that could include him in my head are Master Chief, Doom Slayer, and Jonesy, and I legit cannot believe how possible that sounds now.

There's also Pikachu and the rest of the Pokemon cast, but I kinda hope this is the only time we see Pikachu in a CGI trailer cause there's no better way for him to be in it other than what we got in Sephiroth's trailer:

View attachment 305536
sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who actually likes Pikachu

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

View attachment 305536
.....but wasn't Mewtwo clearly visible in Hero's trailer?

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For a new Indie mii costume, I would really like Cadence from Crypt of the necrodancer as a swordfighter. I would also like Hat kid, Shovel knight (really this one should have happenned in fighter pass 1). There are others that I would like, but they have pretty much no chance to happen like the penitent one from Blasphemous, Subject zero from Katana zero, Robin from Iconoclasts or Owlboy.

7NATOR

Smash Master
A bit of an impulse decision, but I feel like this wave might be a good place to slot in an Euden Mii. Recent Nintendo IP, action-RPG, gacha mechanics. I'd also mention the fire sword and the blond hair correlating to both Blades, but I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Still, it just seems like a pretty good time for them, especially seeing as both first-party packs so far have mostly been general whatever waves instead of being characters from the same series as the fighter.

Quick edit, I'd also like to add that I feel like it's a somewhat a similar situation to Callie and Marie with Min Min. ARMS and Splatoon are fairly recent new Nintendo games, have similar vibrant, cartoony aesthetics, and put unique quirks and twists on their respective genre. I feel like Dragalia Lost and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have some parallels in that regard, as I mentioned above.
Dragalia Lost never got a Spirit Event despite it in the past having it's 2nd anniversary and such, and considering that we did get Fire Emblem Heroes content, along with Cygames doing that particular music track, it does show no Adverness to Mobile Content

So I did think it was suggesting either Euden Mii or Euden as Playable character. I think Euden will be a Mii with Pyra/Mythra

which woman is stronger than Chun-li?
Even within Street Fighter, despite how Chun-Li calls herself the "Strongest Woman in the World" She has lost to Juri a couple times, and I'm not sure Chun has beat her on her own

So I found this from the Japanese side of Smash scene
View attachment 305522
Pyra and Mythra are the most beloved FP2 characters in Japan according to this guys community. If you can't tell, Min-Min is the one with 5% (Ouch), Steve is 11%, Sephiroth is 36% and then Pyra/Mythra are 48%.
Pyra/Mythra's Presentation is in the Morning, just like Hero's was back in July of 2019. This time is more convenient for the Japan Timezone, so It implies that Pyra/Mythra appeal to the Japanesse audience more than the other characters

What if we got a Gunvolt Mii Costume for this pack?

I was thinking for him to be an underdog/sleeper pick as well (i see him having some benefits that Reimu and Quote don't have) but i could see him getting the costume treatment this pass.
Gunvolt would fit the futurist theme that Pyra/Mythra have, so it's very possible, plus it would add to the balance of types of Mii's this Pack, as I expect a lot of Swordfighter Mii's in this one

I feel like this is an Area that is being neglected

Not just including stages, I think the additions of More modes not only brings more life to the game, but because it brings more life to the game, it does give more value to the DLC Characters as there be much more to do in the game than Play Classic Mode route for minutes, Spirit board, then online

I tell you, Despite the game being called Ultimate, the Single Player in this game is anything but to be honest. Smash 3DS had better Single Player as an example

View attachment 305536
Yoshi Also hasn't been in a CGI Trailer, and I would say Yoshi is more important than Fox

Plus Despite Ken being in CGI, Ryu also never was in CGI either.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I'd love for them to be utilized with a character that makes no sense for their setting.

Like Fox is battling against the Star Wolf team and is being battered until an unexpected ship emerges and attacks the latter with odd attack. Pigma screams about how this is happening.

Fox: Let's just say you're not the only one with a Wolf in his pack!

Wolf: No! I will take you down, Fox!

And then it cuts to Amaterasu inexplicably piloting an Arwing, with no indication on how she's even doing it.

Issun: Heh, can't let you do that, furball.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

View attachment 305536

I think that's a stretch honestly. For one, Fox isn't that popualar, so of course he's not going to be prioritise in the trailer. And even assuming a trailer with Fox is coming, that doesn't mean that the newcomer will be from a shooter. Sometimes they just do random stuff like Captain falcon in Min min trailer. They could have do the Arms trailer with Little mac and Ryu but they decided to go with Falcon eating noodles.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

View attachment 305536
I personally think they just use characters arbitrarily based on whomever they think would be cool for that trailer.

And also Mario because he's Mario.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
About CGI trailers, I'm suprised that Yoshi is the only member of the Original 8 to not appear in one.
Yoshi in general gets to tend the short end of the stick of the original 8.

His series is the only one without an Assist Trophy for example, and in Smash 4 he was the only one of the original 8 that wasn't revealed at E3's Smash reveal, instead having to wait until April's Direct to see him.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Shame, maybe we'll just have to wait for another Star Fox character, in a future game or otherwise......

ShadowSnake's Krystal Smash Mod Progress | Krystal Archive

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Yoshi in general gets to tend the short end of the stick of the original 8.

His series is the only one without an Assist Trophy for example, and in Smash 4 he was the only one of the original 8 that wasn't revealed at E3's Smash reveal, instead having to wait until April's Direct to see him.
He got replaced by Pit in the Smash 4 announcement trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom