• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
OK, so chill on me for bringing this up if you've already talked endlessly about this (cos I haven't been on here for a bit), but what's the consensus here about that concert leak?
Most people believe it's fake because the songs on the list are too long for just a three hours time limit, and it's also missing Ken on the list.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
OK, so chill on me for bringing this up if you've already talked endlessly about this (cos I haven't been on here for a bit), but what's the consensus here about that concert leak?
Probably not real, but who knows. I would give it like a 1-2% chance of being real. The logistics, the weird parts of the leak, it just does not sit with me.

Which is ironic because I think Crash and Monster Hunter is a very safe prediction for the end of the pass.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Thoughts on the Pokemon Direct: It was awesome! New Snap is still the game I'm the most excited for (I don't think I've posted much on here about how Pokemon Snap is one of my favorite video games, but well, it is. To get a sequel after wanting one for so long, to the point of having dozens of dreams about a new Snap game/amusement park ride where you take pics... I've been over the moon for almost a year. The DP remakes look nice, I think I spotted the Underground! The chibi thing is certainly kinda weird, but not really worth getting upset over. I'm already kinda used to it. Legends Arceus looks amazing! I wonder if this'll be the start of a new series delving into the backstories of legendary Pokemon. I plan on rocking Fire for both games with 🐵 and :155: as my starters.

As for a new Pokemon character in Smash? I feel like it's unlikely at this point. I felt like Pokemon could have been an exception to Spirits probably deconfirming, but now it just feels like they've waited a long time with nothing new yet. The other characters in this pass have all had timely events to go with them (ARMS free trial, Minecon, FFVII GotY nom) but Pyra & Mythra don't, so I kinda feel like they could have been put on the backburner and instead reveal a Pokemon character for Pokemon day, but that's not what we got. And now we're down to only two slots left.

Cuz yeah, I think characters beyond FP2 are unlikely. Sakurai's been vague enough that I don't think it'll bite him in the butt or anything if he decides to continue, but I'm expecting this to be it.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm kinda hesitant on a Sinnoh pack. Smash doesn't usually go for remakes, especially not ones that are already represented. Aside from that, most "promotional" characters have about six months to a year between their base game's release and their DLC; BDSP is slated for the end of 2021, so they'd be releasing alongside their DLC at best, if not after the DLC. Sure, Generation 4's been around for years, but it would be weird to promote a game that's not even out yet, and it would be equally weird to promote the original versions when the remakes are just about to release.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't know if it's real honestly. I think people are too quick to throw things away personally. 4chan has left a bad taste in people's mouths. Still, there's always going to be that time when something is legit.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd only be sold on another Pokémon if it was another Pokémon trainer, and Cynthia absolutely fits that bill. I think she's pretty widely considered the best champion.
I wonder why...:smirk:

Nah, she is for the most part. As far as I know, the only other popular Champion characters are Blue, Lance and Steven, but aside from possibly Blue, Cynthia is definitely the more popular one.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm kinda hesitant on a Sinnoh pack. Smash doesn't usually go for remakes, especially not ones that are already represented. Aside from that, most "promotional" characters have about six months to a year between their base game's release and their DLC; BDSP is slated for the end of 2021, so they'd be releasing alongside their DLC at best, if not after the DLC. Sure, Generation 4's been around for years, but it would be weird to promote a game that's not even out yet, and it would be equally weird to promote the original versions when the remakes are just about to release.
Yeah I totally feel you about the part that Smash usually doesn't go for remakes although I suppose they did use FRLG designs for PKMN Trainer. I think it's not impossible to release a character when a game is not released when they're already established though. Isabelle was released before New Horizons but she was already an established character. Additionally if I might add, Hero really seemed to go hard on promoting the port (lesser than a remake) but again the Luminary's (the DQ11 Hero) game was already out and he was already an established character, he was just cross-promoting a new port.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'll say again that three hours is likely a rough estimate and could be something like 3:20. Also, the leak said songs that are being considered, so it's possible they may not play them all. Or may only play a portion of a song. Ken's song getting left out could be the leaker's way of going :ultken:👍. I don't believe the leak to be real, but I do think it might have more plausibility than most here are giving it.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
What about:ulthero:?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Fake as ****

If it was real it'd have the Dunkaccino rap and MvC2 desert theme as the final 2

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
[QUOTE="Faso115, post: 24303884, member: 457168

I do think that at least a really big popular character will get in, last pass we managed to at least guess Banjo.
[/QUOTE]
Does Pyra & Mythra count as that? A Xenoblade 2 rep was very highly requested during the base game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yeah I totally feel you about the part that Smash usually doesn't go for remakes although I suppose they did use FRLG designs for PKMN Trainer. I think it's not impossible to release a character when a game is not released when they're already established though. Isabelle was released before New Horizons but she was already an established character. Additionally if I might add, Hero really seemed to go hard on promoting the port (lesser than a remake) but again the Luminary's (the DQ11 Hero) game was already out and he was already an established character, he was just cross-promoting a new port.
To be fair, FRLG had been out for decades at that point. It wasn't a promotional decision like BDSP would be. As for Hero, while Nintendo did go really hard on DQ11S, it still represented the entire series. Though admittedly, they're kind of an outlier; No other DLC has pushed a title so blatantly. Still, no other DLC has done that and it still isn't entirely about DQ11, so I'm counting the Dragon Quest pack as an exception.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
To be fair, FRLG had been out for decades at that point. It wasn't a promotional decision like BDSP would be. As for Hero, while Nintendo did go really hard on DQ11S, it still represented the entire series. Though admittedly, they're kind of an outlier; No other DLC has pushed a title so blatantly. Still, no other DLC has done that and it still isn't entirely about DQ11, so I'm counting the Dragon Quest pack as an exception.
Decades?? FRLG released in 2004 and Brawl in 2008. The original Red and Green had only been out for a couple years over a decade upon Brawl's release.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
DQ11 was already out on PS4 and 3DS (In Japan) and I think that Hero's inclusion coinciding with the launch while calculated was not the deciding factor to put the Luminary alt in.
I'd also like to point out that while DQ11-centric, Hero's pack represented the entire series and primarily used content from throughout the entire series, even if DQ11 got the most. Heck, Erdrick even got to land the Final Smash in the trailer. Even then, that was the one time a DLC pack had such a short gap. I'm willing to count that as an outlier in this situation, rather than an indicator for the norm.
Decades?? FRLG released in 2004 and Brawl in 2008. The original Red and Green had only been out for a couple years over a decade upon Brawl's release.
I was referring to Ultimate's incarnation of the characters. I haven't looked too much into Brawl lately, so the Gen III designs being used there too didn't cross my mind. Still, in the context of Brawl, the point still stands. It had been many years after FRGL and Smash wouldn't be explicitly promoting a remake like a BDSP rep would be as a DLC character.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Most people believe it's fake because the songs on the list are too long for just a three hours time limit, and it's also missing Ken on the list.
For the record, it definitely could be fake. It probably is in fact, but most of the objections I see for it being real CAN be countered.

For example, they could be doing more of a medley with the songs where they're not playing the full length of each track.

As for Ken, it's possible he simply got overlooked when the information was being transferred over, or maybe perhaps it was even a nod to the fact that Ken is always involved with leaks.

I think currently we just need more information to know if it's 100% fake.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's hard to prove that a leak is 100% fake, but based off of past precedent, it's best to assume the chance of correctness won't even reach the double digits. Just because it guessed a fairly common prediction doesn't mean it's gonna be correct. Crei-Mos managed to guess Sephiroth, and look where that ended up.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I was referring to Ultimate's incarnation of the characters. I haven't looked too much into Brawl lately, so the Gen III designs being used there too didn't cross my mind. Still, in the context of Brawl, the point still stands. It had been many years after FRGL and Smash wouldn't be explicitly promoting a remake like a BDSP rep would be as a DLC character.
And also, I feel like Pokemon Trainer is kind of a weird outlier of a character. Sakurai wanted to rep the switching mechanic, as well as evolution. As to why he did that with Gen 1 Pokemon as opposed to gen 4? Well, the gen 1 starters are very beloved, and maybe he was worried about making the gen 4 Pokemon that complicated. Whereas with gen 1, if you felt overwhelmed at playing a 3-in-1 character, you had other options to choose from. Additionally, Red is one of the most popular characters, so maybe trying to find a way to get him in the game was a factor (Leaf wasn't added till Ultimate).

So basically, I'm agreeing with you. Just adding more points to the topic at hand.

Also also, none of the other remakes have gotten anything. HGSS had pretty poor timing, but ORAS had perfect timing, as well as no gen 3 mon in Smash beforehand, and yet here we are.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
And also, I feel like Pokemon Trainer is kind of a weird outlier of a character. Sakurai wanted to rep the switching mechanic, as well as evolution. As to why he did that with Gen 1 Pokemon as opposed to gen 4? Well, the gen 1 starters are very beloved, and maybe he was worried about making the gen 4 Pokemon that complicated. Whereas with gen 1, if you felt overwhelmed at playing a 3-in-1 character, you had other options to choose from. Additionally, Red is one of the most popular characters, so maybe trying to find a way to get him in the game was a factor (Leaf wasn't added till Ultimate).

So basically, I'm agreeing with you. Just adding more points to the topic at hand.

Also also, none of the other remakes have gotten anything. HGSS had pretty poor timing, but ORAS had perfect timing, as well as no gen 3 mon in Smash beforehand, and yet here we are.
Yeah, I think it's just that Gen 1 was the most iconic, and so the starters and trainer inherited that popularity as well, even if they weren't the most recent games. The remakes were Red's most recent appearance, and so he used that design for Brawl. Seeing as the other two remakes got jacksquat, it seems that FRLG just got through with the luck of being the remakes of the most iconic generations.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
This makes me realize another legend would be cool. Sure I think Pokemon is already premium when it comes to how many characters it has but I got thinking about how cool Regigigas and Arceus could be as fighters with a slow start gimmick that makes him grow stronger as the match progresses or a type switching mechanic. Would much prefer over firebun if it comes to a Pokemon.

I kinda think I have an idea for next fan moveset.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I mean, we did get a playable character from specifically ORAS in Ultimate: Pikachu Libre.

There’s more than one way to have playable representation for a recent game.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
It's hard to prove that a leak is 100% fake, but based off of past precedent, it's best to assume the chance of correctness won't even reach the double digits. Just because it guessed a fairly common prediction doesn't mean it's gonna be correct. Crei-Mos managed to guess Sephiroth, and look where that ended up.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they gave the exact spot on the pass that Sephiroth would arrive. That's another interesting thing about the concert leak: yes it was a common prediction, but they managed to show us exactly on the pass when Pyra/Mythra would show up.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe they gave the exact spot on the pass that Sephiroth would arrive. That's another interesting thing about the concert leak: yes it was a common prediction, but they managed to show us exactly on the pass when Pyra/Mythra would show up.
You throw enough **** at the wall and some of it will stick.

What the concert leak has achieved is well within the realm of maintaining disbelief. There were people who guessed 4/5 characters in the first pass, and Hero down to the alts.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I’ve been thinking about it since this morning, and you know what? I’m throwing my hat into the ring with who I think would be a good candidate for Pokémon.

My proposition is the Rival from Gen. 1. That's what I'm going to call him here, since Red and Leaf are simply called "Pokémon Trainer" in Smash already. Feel free to name him whatever crass name you gave him back when you first discovered naughty words.

Anyways, speaking of the Trainers, I see the Rival having largely the same mechanic of swapping out Pokémon in battle while staying on the sidelines. However, he'd have an entirely different lineup. So far, I've thought about including Tyranitar in his lineup, but I've been debating which others would work. The Rhydon line is already ground-type, so one of them would be redundant, but at the same time, I want all 3 of his Pokémon to hail from different generations (Not sure if I want Pidgeot or Machamp to represent Gen 1).

So that's my idea for a newcomer from Pokémon. A controversial choice, sure, but I'd imagine it's a big heap safer than a Gen 8 rep.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The leak is fake. Ken's song is missing.

edumolon11

Smash Cadet
I think it's time to remember this, the last point:

It can be a spirit event or a mii costume.

I don't believe in a fighter because Steve on the same pass would be redundant. (but it could be a hint about Nintendo negotiations for a hypothetical FP3)

Anyway, let's pretend it's a mii costume. What character could it come with? Pyra & Mythra seems impossible for them to come with him

A gun character? Western? Random mii costume like Sans or Cuphead?

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
This makes me realize another legend would be cool. Sure I think Pokemon is already premium when it comes to how many characters it has but I got thinking about how cool Regigigas and Arceus could be as fighters with a slow start gimmick that makes him grow stronger as the match progresses or a type switching mechanic. Would much prefer over firebun if it comes to a Pokemon.

I kinda think I have an idea for next fan moveset.
i've made a Regigigas moveset, though it has a few things that need fixed (one of the attacks is... odd).

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
You throw enough **** at the wall and some of it will stick.

What the concert leak has achieved is well within the realm of maintaining disbelief. There were people who guessed 4/5 characters in the first pass, and Hero down to the alts.
Oh ****, don't hurt me! :p

I'm simply saying that getting the order right makes it more credible. I totally understand disbelief.

The leak is fake. Ken's song is missing.
I wish I had your confidence. Like I said, Ken could've simply been overlooked when the information was transferred.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh ****, don't hurt me! :p

I'm simply saying that getting the order right makes it more credible. I totally understand disbelief.

I wish I had your confidence. Like I said, Ken could've simply been overlooked when the information was transferred.
Crash is my most wanted character, and even I don't put much stock in the leak tbh.

Would I be happy with it being real? Hell yeah I would.

But we've also seen crazier **** happen that wound up being fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom