• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
I want a heavy mech character that a featherweight character can eject from.

View attachment 304792

Back before the Blitzchung controversy, I was obsessed with Overwatch and really wanted to see D.Va get the invite to Smash. I thought about how cool it would be if she started the match as a super heavy, her MEKA moving slow and having to commit to her attacks, but packing an enormous punch.

And because I'm definitely not a game developer who knows how to balance a fighter, I wasn't sure how this would happen, but I loved the idea of her either having the option or being forced out of her mech to fight on foot. She'd become a lot faster and gain a more long-ranging projectile than her mech, but the tradeoff would be that she'd become incredibly light and her attacks wouldn't be nearly as strong.

Fortunately, that kind of gimmick isn't limited to D.Va. It could also be applied to Robotnik or Tron Bonne.
A somewhat similar idea that I thought of and enjoyed was in regards to a having the Plasm Wraith from Pikmin 3 as a fighter. Essentially as a non solid lifeform it could separate parts of its body when attacking. However it gets smaller and lighter the more often you do this

I also find the idea of a fighter that focuses on status effect like attacks to wear opponents down to be interesting. Like a negative version of Monado Arts that targets opponents

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Am I the one who notices we got 5 JRPG characters as DLC for Fighter Pass 1 & 2?

First pass had Joker, Hero and Byleth. The second had Sephiroth and Pyra with Mythra.
We have literally been discussing RPG characters and if there's too many for the past week...

so yes, you're the only one that's noticed. Good eye!

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
While we're on the topic of game design, without naming any specific characters, are there any playstyles or mechanical gimmicks that you guys would like to see on future characters?
Like I said, a character that rides around on an animal or mount.

D

Deleted member

I’m happy a majority of us are chill wanters, and there’s hardly any demanders.
I hover between Picky & Neutral. When the game was announced, I wanted King K. Rool specifically. After him, I was either Neutral towards (Ken, Isabelle, Banjo, Terry, Min Min, Byleth, Pythra) or Happy for (Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero, Sephiroth). Only Steve I disliked and I would prefer 1st Party but don't care either way if they don't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I got to ask, do you think Pyra & Mythra would have made a better First reveal than Min Min, or do you think it was better the way we have it now?

ZelDan

Smash Master
I got to ask, do you think Pyra & Mythra would have made a better First reveal than Min Min, or do you think it was better the way we have it now?
Xenoblade 2 was the better received/more beloved between it and ARMs from what I can tell, so leaving them as is probably works from a "save the better for last" standpoint.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think for Min Min's sake it was probably better this way. The novelty of guessing the ARMS character and them starting off the pass avoided a lot of possible backlash I suspect she might have potentially gotten. Plus getting two Nintendo RPG characters back to back likely would have gotten a bit of rancor from a decent portion of the fanbase.

Last edited:

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I suppose I’ll jump on yet another bandwagon and discuss FP2 and where it stands for me

:ultminmin: 11/10 ARMS is a game I enjoy very much, it caught my attention instantly when it was announced at the Nintendo Switch Presentation, and it has always been a game that I have had a particularly soft spot for. Any character from that game would have been enough to leave me extremely excited to play them. However, it wasn't just any ARMS character, it was Min Min, one of the two characters I play most frequently (the other being Ribbon Girl), so naturally, I was ecstatic about this inclusion. I love her implementation and I absolutely adore how faithful she feels in being an ARMS character. It really feels like they took her straight out of the game itself, and so I'm very glad she is the way she is. The music that came with her is also incredible. The only reason that her inclusion alone didn't make me like FP2 more than FP1 immediately is because that pass started with the protagonist of one of my favourite games of all time. It was certainly pretty close though. I was pretty convinced that Min Min would be my favourite character in the pass in any case.

:ultsteve:: 10/10 Minecraft is another game that I've always had an affinity for. I played a whole lot throughout my childhood, and I still play it very frequently to this day with my closest friends. His inclusion is just an extremely solid fantastic addition, and I love the music that came with him. His moveset is also very creative and fun, and I always have a blast playing it.

:ultsephiroth:: 10/10 At the time of Sephiroth's reveal, my only exposure to him was my short amount of time playing Final Fantasy VII and his presence in Kingdom Hearts. Those were enough to get me excited for him at the time but I probably wouldn't have given him a 10/10 like I would now. His reveal inspired me to go back and experience the rest of FF7, and I can't thank his inclusion enough for making me do that. Final Fantasy VII is a masterpiece. I loved it from start to end. It has such brilliantly written characters and such fun gameplay. It is an amazing game. Also Sephiroth came with a Yuffie spirit which is honestly enough to bring it to a 10/10 on its own but yeah loved this addition.

:ultpyra:: 15/10 Throughout the entire DLC cycle, I was truly convinced that :ultjoker: would be my favourite DLC inclusion. The first fighter pass started out strong with the protagonist from one of my favourite games of all time, and I was very satisfied already. Although I didn't really care much for Joker himself, the game that came represented alongside him was enough for me. Xenoblade 2 is my 3rd favourite Nintendo game, only beaten by Xenoblade X and Rhythm Heaven DS. One of the main reasons I love the game and this series is because of how well-written its characters are, and how strong of a connection I have to them. I originally expected the game to get represented by Rex and Pyra, which would have led me to be extremely excited for being XC2 characters of course, but while Rex is an extremely lovable character, I'm just unsure if I like him enough to say that he would beat Joker for me. But we didn't get Rex and Pyra, we got Pyra and Mythra. Pyra is an amazing character in her own right, and being able to play as her specifically would've been enough for me, but alongside her, we got Mythra, who is quite possibly my second favourite character in the entire franchise (behind Haze because who doesn't love Haze), I can't just get into why I feel as though she is such a strong, well-written character without going into spoilers for XC2 and Torna, but I'm very glad she's included, and I'm very excited to be able to play as them when they come out, and I'm also very excited to see the spirits and music that come with them (my only hope is for a Haze spirit and the battle theme of Future Connected). I love Xenoblade, I'm very glad I bought XC2 back when it came out 4 years ago, and I'm glad I went ahead and played all of the rest of the Xenoblade games after that. I cannot recommend this franchise enough.

Needless to say, I like FP2 so far lol, very excited to see who the next characters are.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
:ultminmin 9/10: Arms was one of my favorite games early in the switch's life and Min Min was almost an Insta-main and I had played the game for Dozens of hours and I'm so glad she is in, Only reason she is not a 10/10 because I think Dr. Coyle would have been more interesting

:ultsteve: 9/10: Minecraft was there when I really started to get into gaming and I spent so many hours in the game and I'm happy this can be represented in Smash

:ultsephiroth: 8/10: This reveal was a genuine surprise and Sephiroth is so damn Iconic and I had recently beat the boss in KH2 and I was playing FF7:R at the time so this reveal was well timed. I wish we got a different FF represented instead but I still like this choice

:ultpyra: 8.5/10: I loved Xenoblade 2 (Unfortunate designs aside) and I had supported Rex for a little bit, I didn't really want Rex himself, Instead we got the best possible scenario for a Xenoblade 2 rep and I am very happy with this outcome. Only reason she is an 8 is because I wanted several other characters more than Pyra/Mythra.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Any KI fan here? I think Fulgore would make an awesome character (and a realistic third Microsoft rep).

As the guy cited above, his "nuclear reactor" mechanism would make him an very unique character.
Lotta KI fans here. Last time we had a literal 2 pages almost of just Mick Gordon music lol

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Any KI fan here? I think Fulgore would make an awesome character (and a realistic third Microsoft rep).

As the guy cited above, his "nuclear reactor" mechanism would make him an very unique character.
Not a fan of KI, but I want Riptor!

(Just for the memories of watching Yoshi vs Riptor in Death Battle.)

SKX31

Smash Master
My preference would be for Yuri and Repede. I know that Yuri has plenty of stuff going for him without using Repede, but it would definitely make him stand out among the other "anime swordfighters."
Yeah Icies and Rosa are both very slow feeling. A faster more rushdown oriented partner/puppet character would be nice and I like both your possible candidates for it.
Another part of the problem is that the learning curve for ICies / Rosa (Olimar also) is close to a learning mountain. Sure, those who play those three casually can play to other characters on their level, but desynchs alone create a massive skill and effectiveness gap between say a casual ICies and even non-pro dedicated players like Danish Buttercookie, because desynchs allow for nasty combos and setups:

It's for that reason I'd welcome a rushdown / simpler duo really.

Lotta KI fans here. Last time we had a literal 2 pages almost of just Mick Gordon music lol
Well, I'm not surprised that happened since Mick Gordon's KI music is amazing. Of course, I'm not picky and enjoyed the Season 3 music a lot too (when he had joined Bethesda's efforts to re-launch Doom IIRC).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fair point; it’s just that even if JRPGs didn’t make up the lion’s share of the DLC representation, I’d still feel the same way. While I was excited to see Banjo & Kazooie back on a Nintendo system, if platformers made up that many picks, it would also be just as tiring for me.

I realize I should have been clearer; my apologies.
The first Smash Bros. had mostly platformer characters, nobody complained. It had Mario, Luigi, DK, Yoshi and Kirby, RPG came second with Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Ness, and Link, Samus and Fox where basically stars of their own genres.

Right now there's a lot of RPG games, but I gotta say, only RPGs haven't evolved as much as the other type of popular genres of modern gaming. It's easy to see they remain so very popular.

kylexv

Smash Master
:ultminmin 7/10: When I saw that we were getting an ARMS character as the first fighter of Fighter's Pass 2, needless to say I was quite confused. I, like many others, thought that ARMS had its chance for the base game and Spring Man being an assist trophy killed any chance for an ARMS character as DLC. After all, it was nearly three years after the game came out. It was dead, right? Turns out the answer was no and Min Min was added to the game in June of 2020. Despite my surprise and the fact that I had never touched ARMS, I felt that ARMS deserved a rep in Smash, and, looking though the fifteen possible options for a character, Min Min was my most wanted out of them. Overall, this was a solid character choice but nothing to get overly ecstatic about.

:ultsteve: 8/10: As one of the many millions of human beings whose has played Minecraft, this character was probably the most deserving third-party rep out there. This reveal was a mix of shock, absurdity, and hype that was unique to this reveal specifically for me. I love how faithful Steve is to his home game, and I absolutely love that he is sitting there on this amazing roster of characters.

:ultsephiroth:9.5/10: This was a character I didn't know I wanted. Not only was this another villain, a character archetype that I've supported for a very long time (Look at Bowser Jr, Ridley, and K. Rool), but this was a character I thought would be cool but dismissed because I thought it wouldn't happen. Then, at the 2020 Game Awards, he appeared in probably the single most cool character reveal trailer in all of Smash 4 and Ultimate. He also proved fun to play as well. Sephiroth probably ties Banjo for my favorite DLC character at this point and is an excellent inclusion.

:ultpyra: 7.5/10: Pyra and Mythra are characters I didn't particularly want in the game, but they look very cool. I've mentioned outside of these forums that a stance change character would be a very cool addition to the game, and this is exactly what I was looking for. I felt that Xenoblade 2 deserved a rep as well, so reveal went better for me than I expected. I'm very excited to try these characters out and I might even check out their game out of curiosity at some point.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Considering the fact that they need to censored Mythra thighs, I'm going to assume that the swimsuit is not going to be an alt.
Sakurai and company throw everyone for a loop via having both Mythra and Pyra in color appropriate swimsuits... that are the old timey ones from Victorian era:

1614127225229.jpeg

(And yes Rex himself will show up in the turn of the century striped variety for the Final Smash)

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Considering the 11 base roster newcomers we got, only 1 was a JRPG character which in itself was an echo with Chrom. I'm not too bothered the DLC is giving us a bit more.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
:ultminmin 7/10: I couldn't justify purchasing ARMS without a story mode, but I fell in love with the designs from the first reveal and wanted them in Smash straight away. Mechanica's my fave, but they definitely went with a great choice. I'm not the best with her, but she's probably the one that I most want to improve with. Also, it's lunch time and noodles can't be beat.

:ultsteve: 6/10: I still think a stage-only representation in the base game would've been a better timeline, but this is fine too. I can't pretend that I enjoy Steve from either an aesthetic or gameplay standpoint, so he's really "just there". I'm really proud of all the effort that the Smash team put into representing this character, and it's really paid off with how happy it makes the rest of the audience.

:ultsephiroth: 8/10: They went HARD with that trailer! Great example of a choice that almost everyone wanted deep down, but didn't speculate about because we never thought Nintendo/Square would actually go there. Only the latest announcement that got me to finally buy their original game with no regrets. Looks good, plays good, sounds good. It is a shame that the Challenge Mode was limited time only, but that was a hella fun week. Now we're only waiting on Crono to complete the Noble Nine...

:ultpyra: 9/10: Will never not be happy with Xenoblade representation, even if it's not Zeke or Nia. It's pretty hard to play through the whole game without forming some kind of attachment to the Aegis, honestly. They're going straight into the upper circles of my play rotation. I'm eagerly anticipating their Showcase video. Not that I wasn't satisfied with the Pass already, but this is where my faith in prepurchasing it was finally rewarded.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
:ultminmin 8/10: Never played ARMS besides a few minutes a long time ago before Min Min was announced. Then, her reveal and the free trial made me curious about the game, I played it a lot and I enjoyed my time with it. Min Min is my favorite character from ARMS, at least in terms of design. That plus she bringing a very unique moveset, which to me is a fun one, made me happy with her inclusion. I think adding modern Nintendo characters is a cool thing.

:ultsteve: 6/10: I've never played Minecraft and I was never interested in it before Steve. After him... that hasn't changed to be honest, which is kinda weird in my case because usually, when Smash adds a character I'm not very familiar with, I end looking for info and all. But Steve didn't managed to do that for me, which is okay. I wasn't hyped about his inclusion, but he definitely has an unique moveset and I like his stage. I was pretty much neutral towards him. I'm okay with him and I understand why he's a big deal for others.

:ultsephiroth:9/10: I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan and this took me by surprise. Never expected a second FF character, at least not for Ultimate. In a way, Sephiroth's inclusion somewhat disappointed me, because I'd also have liked to see other a character from other FF entry to get in. Or a different Square series. But at the same time, I've always liked the character and Final Fantasy VII is one of my favorite games in the series. FFVII is in my top 5, maybe top 3, of FF games. And he's so much fun to me in terms of playstyle. I loved Northern Cave as a stage and all the references... and of course, getting more music from the series was one of the best things.

:ultpyra: 7.5/10: As of now, this would be my rating. Mostly because we still don't know the details and how Pyra and Mythra would play, but I'm convinced they will be super fun. But for now I'll stick to 7.5 until we learn more about their moveset. Besides that, I was surprised by the lack of Rex, which I think is a good protagonist, but I can see why they skipped him if what they wanted was a stance character or a fighter able to transform between different forms. In that scenario, Rex was hard to include, I guess.
I enjoyed Xenoblade 2 a lot despite a few issues I had with the game, and Pyra & Mythra were characters I really liked in the game. Plus getting more Xenoblade 2 music, and potentially, music from X, Torna or Future Connected, is incredibly compelling to me.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean, apparently they're each missing an alt on the website...
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Maybe there a few special references that Sakurai wants to present for himself. Like, if we get a T-ELOS and KOS-MOS alt, I could see Sakurai explaining who they're based on, their origins and all.

I still think the chance of getting swimsuit alts is very, very low.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
BD2 Spirit Event.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I mean, apparently they're each missing an alt on the website...
What do you mean? The alts weren't there, last I checked.

In fact, now that I think about it... the alts aren't even shown in the screenshots on their page - which most characters have, even BK and Terry, whose full palettes were only shown after their presentations. The only other character that didn't show any alts in their site screenshots was Min Min, but even then some of her alts were shown in her trailer regardless.

This is really weird. It's like they're actively avoiding showing P/M's alt costumes.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
BD2 Spirit Event.
Welp, RIP that dream...

But hey! We've been needing new blood around here.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
BD2 Spirit Event.
And thus, some blood has finally been spilled.

...Man, it's gonna feel weird if these 4 are the only BD content in the game - nothing from the original or Second. Sure, other series also do this, but at least Persona and DQ brought a few bits of different entries from that series and FFVII is insanely iconic.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Big Killer Instinct fan myself, Fulgore would be awesome as him and to a lesser extent Spinal are usually viewed as the faces of the franchise.

Killer Instinct Instinct honestly probably has the coolest roster of fighter designs around, Fulgore, Spinal, Sabrewulf and Glacius to name a few, But Riptor has always been my favorite because I love dinosaurs.

image-1-1024x576.jpeg.jpg

Spinal also has the best ending in the original KI Arcade.

"Ok, Spinal baby let's go for another take !!!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom