• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I think Hero is fun to mess around with but I'm terrible at actually using his down special effectively. I usually just fight the AI and even that is tough for me to make use out of it. Still, I think it is a fun idea. I did really enjoy Dragon Quest 8 and 11 but I never cared for silent protagonists in general so Hero never really interested me much. Jade would have been awesome though. That's one reason I would much rather have Magus or Frog than Crono even if they are much less likely. I do like Joker as far as silent protagonists go but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have been happier with Makoto.
It's the down B for me as well. I just think a drop down menu that's also RNG gives his gameplay a very clunky feel, and the Crit smash attacks just seem unnecessary. Fire Emblem also has critical hits in its games, and you don't see that reflected in the gameplay.

And lol, yeah, as cool as Makoto's motorcycle Persona is, in general I wouldn't expect side characters to get in over protagonists - especially for JRPG's. Pyra over Rex was a very special case I doubt we'll see a repeat of. The only exception I could see to this atm is Kain or Vivi from Final Fantasy for being emblematic of Dragoons and Black Mages specifically within that franchise.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How popular was Mega Man at the time? I know there was this burnout phase, but I don't know the specifics...
Pretty popular but 2011 was also the year of the Mega Man Purge because Inafune left. Mega Man Legands 3, Maverick Hunter, and Mega Man Online were all canned, Mega Man didn’t show up in any form besides costumes for Zero and Frank in UMvC3, and the Street Fighter X Tekken Mega Man was a very blunt joke that landed at a very bad time.

Obviously Capcom didn’t plan for all this to happen right at the same time but it did and 2011 was an ass of a year to be a Mega Man fan.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Hell I'm not gonna lie and say I'm happy with puts and mythra because I'm not and yeah, imma be sad my character isn't in the game, is a natural feeling. I'm sure the XC2 characters e going to be fun... But hell yeah imma be sad none of my wanted are in
No one would expect anyone to do so. People will be sad or upset. But that is also ignoring the new possibilities that can come with each addition. I am in the same boat, no DLC character I wanted has made it. and the one I really wanted was Mii'ed. I am still going to look at each new addition and see if I will have fun.

Pretty popular but 2011 was also the year of the Mega Man Purge because Inafune left. Mega Man Legands 3, Maverick Hunter, Mega Man Online, were all canned, Mega Man didn’t show up in any form besides costumes for Zero and Frank, and the Street Fighter X Tekken Mega Man was a very blunt joke that landed at a very bad time.

Obviously Capcom didn’t plan for all this to happen right at the same time but it did and 2011 was an ass of a year to be a Mega Man fan.
The joke did not land well, but I think it was because of all the canned projects. BBA Megaman was a great idea and I thought it was super funny. but because there was no traditional megaman material at the time, people were over sensitive. It happens with every series. I loved BBA MM.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It's the down B for me as well. I just think a drop down menu that's also RNG gives his gameplay a very clunky feel, and the Crit smash attacks just seem unnecessary. Fire Emblem also has critical hits in its games, and you don't see that reflected in the gameplay.

And lol, yeah, as cool as Makoto's motorcycle Persona is, in general I wouldn't expect side characters to get in over protagonists - especially for JRPG's. Pyra over Rex was a very special case I doubt we'll see a repeat of. The only exception I could see to this atm is Kain or Vivi from Final Fantasy for being emblematic of Dragoons and Black Mages specifically within that franchise.
Yeah, I totally understand that that's how it is. Unfortunately my favorite characters in a game are almost never the main protagonists. I'm still happy that a game I like is being represented but it's hard for me to get as hyped for the main character.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Pretty popular but 2011 was also the year of the Mega Man Purge because Inafune left. Mega Man Legands 3, Maverick Hunter, and Mega Man Online were all canned, Mega Man didn’t show up in any form besides costumes for Zero and Frank in UMvC3, and the Street Fighter X Tekken Mega Man was a very blunt joke that landed at a very bad time.

Those were dark times...

Yeah, I totally understand that that's how it is. Unfortunately my favorite characters in a game are almost never the main protagonists. I'm still happy that a game I like is being represented but it's hard for me to get as hyped for the main character.
Fair enough. As a side character stan, I'm curious who you want for Smash dlc that you think also has a realistic chance of showing up.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Its one of the reasons his inclusion in Smash 4 felt like such a triumph, with him finally getting an appreciative showcase and in a huge fighting franchise to boot.

Given that Mega Man's had continued appearances and popularity in Smash since while Tekken x Street Fighter never got released kind of shows who had the last laugh there.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Oof. I guess they took that pretty hard. I think they made a jab at Yoshinori Ono at the end of the SFV Winter Update, too.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Those were dark times...

Fair enough. As a side character stan, I'm curious who you want for Smash dlc that you think also has a realistic chance of showing up.
Realistic is quite a bit of a stretch for some of these but my most wanted characters that are at least somewhat possible are

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (The Battletoads)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Gengar (Pokemon)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Impa (Legend of Zelda - original HW design)

Most of my other most wanted are side characters or villains of games that don't have the main protagonist yet so they are extremely unlikely.

Last edited:

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Sans was always meant to be popular, the weird thing is that it's based on the Genocide route in particular. It'd be like if Sephiroth was beloved for his role in a sidequest in Crisis Core.
Now this is something I can agree on being a little weird, or at least disappointing; Sans is genuinely cool and funny imo in the Pacifist route, and in Genocide he's not really edgy beyond the fact he's trying to end you and the times where his eyes turn empty (which is also in the Pacifist route where he says you'd be dead where you stand if he didn't promise to keep you safe, which may or may not be a dark joke), so it is kinda weird how a lot of the fandom makes him edgy instead of focusing on his actual character. Likely having depression and trying to shrug it off with his comical personality doesn't make him edgy, not even close.

Although tbh I still like the Megalovania and Sans memes so I guess I don't care too much even if it is disappointing when people misinterpret Sans's character especially in an obvious way.

Aside from that, the idea that a character's popularity can exceed their role so that it's "weird" and somehow bad for their chances in Smash is something I don't understand personally, but whatever I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, just sounds like something that's a bit weird to claim unless it's from someone who doesn't know much about the character or personally doesn't like them and doesn't understand why others do (still don't get the conclusion as anything but someone's opinion but oh well).

Congrats, you got the joke and message!
I guess so...?

Geez, I didn't expect my joke to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fire Emblem also has critical hits in its games, and you don't see that reflected in the gameplay.
Technically they are, but only for Marth, Roy, and Byleth (spear attacks only), and they're skill based rather than luck based. Then again, Marth and his clones all have crits as their Final Smashes so maybe that wasn't intentional.

Anywho, Hero's Critical Hits are kind of a nothing mechanic, but they're pretty inoffensive in casual play. For competitive play though, I think it would have been better if the crits were determined by a sweet spot rather than by random chance. Either that or just have the crit effect instead of the normal zoom in. That would have been neat too, and it could go for all the RPG characters. Like, imagine getting the killing blow with Ness's Smash Attacks and being greeted with a special Earthbound zoom-in. Onomatopoeia and all.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Its one of the reasons his inclusion in Smash 4 felt like such a triumph, with him finally getting an appreciative showcase and in a huge fighting franchise to boot.

Given that Mega Man's had continued appearances and popularity in Smash since while Tekken x Street Fighter never got released kind of shows who had the last laugh there.
Smash Megaman just looks so clean. I was so ecstatic during his reveal trailer when he showed up with his iconic look, as I much prefer this to X.

Realistic is quite a bit of a stretch for some of these but my most wanted characters that are at least somewhat possible are

Rash/Pimple/Zitz (The Battletoads)
Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
Illidan Stormrage (Warcraft)
Sarah Kerrigan (Starcraft)
Fulgore (Killer Instinct)
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Bill Rizer/Lance Bean (Contra)
Gengar (Pokemon)
Nightmare (Soul Calibur)
Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
Medusa (Kid Icarus)
Impa (Legend of Zelda - original HW design)

Most of my other most wanted are side characters or villains of games that don't have the main protagonist yet so they are extremely unlikely.
Haha, our tastes don't align at all! I suppose I'd be pretty down for Nightmare or Gengar though, and gun to my head, I'd choose Kerrigan if we must have a Blizzard character. Best of luck all the same, though.

Technically they are, but only for Marth, Roy, and Byleth (spear attacks only), and they're skill based rather than luck based. Then again, Marth and his clones all have crits as their Final Smashes so maybe that wasn't intentional.

Anywho, Hero's Critical Hits are kind of a nothing mechanic, but they're pretty inoffensive in casual play. For competitive play though, I think it would have been better if the crits were determined by a sweet spot rather than by random chance. Either that or just have the crit effect instead of the normal zoom in. That would have been neat too, and it could go for all the RPG characters. Like, imagine getting the killing blow with Ness's Smash Attacks and being greeted with a special Earthbound zoom-in. Onomatopoeia and all.
Yeah the Crits aren't a deal breaker for me, it's mostly the down B Menu system that turns me off playing him. I didn't really think about the tipper mechanic being crits, since their Final smash are crits, but that kinda makes sense I suppose.

Speaking of Gengar and other random pokemon no one expects for Smash, I have a question for everyone - If the next Smash fighter DLC had to be a Pokemon, but you got to choose which one it was, what Pokemon would you choose?

My all time favorite Pokemon are Reuniclus and Quagsire, but I'd probably pick my 3rd favorite Krookadile since Gen V always needs more love and he probably looks the best of my favorite in an actual fighting game.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
BTW, turns out that out of character corporate cringe was to promote that Tony Hawk is coming to Switch.

Guess we can make Smash jokes now...

RealLuigisWearPink

Smash Ace
Speaking of Gengar and other random pokemon no one expects for Smash, I have a question for everyone - If the next Smash fighter DLC had to be a Pokemon, but you got to choose which one it was, what Pokemon would you choose?
''Meowth has a smash invitation! That's right!''

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Smash Megaman just looks so clean. I was so ecstatic during his reveal trailer when he showed up with his iconic look, as I much prefer this to X.
I'm personally not a fan of how robotic he is, and his strict adherence to his NES appearance seems to prevent him from being characterized as he should. The accuracy is commendable though.

I'd have to take a while to figure out which one I'd pick since there are so many good ideas like Mimikyu with a malicious copycat of Pikachu's moveset, but if I were to just pick my favorite, then it would be Growlithe.

BTW, turns out that out of character corporate cringe was to promote that Tony Hawk is coming to Switch.

Guess we can make Smash jokes now...
Even you were way ahead of yourself in that regard. lol

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'd have to take a while to figure out which one I'd pick since there are so many good ideas like Mimikyu with a malicious copycat of Pikachu's moveset, but if I were to just pick my favorite, then it would be Growlithe.
Mimikyu is a good one! Though I have to admit I have a hard time picturing that thing jumping around through the air as Smash fighters do. I'm also a fan of the other bad hangry hamster pikachu from Gen 8.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Ooh, tough call. I think it'd be between Gardevoir, Hydreigon, and Wooloo. Out of the three, I think I might have to go with Gardevoir. I think it's the most popular out of those three.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Now this is something I can agree on being a little weird, or at least disappointing; Sans is genuinely cool and funny imo in the Pacifist route, and in Genocide he's not really edgy beyond the fact he's trying to end you and the times where his eyes turn empty (which is also in the Pacifist route where he says you'd be dead where you stand if he didn't promise to keep you safe, which may or may not be a dark joke), so it is kinda weird how a lot of the fandom makes him edgy instead of focusing on his actual character. Likely having depression and trying to shrug it off with his comical personality doesn't make him edgy, not even close.
My favorite example of this is how Undertale the Musical made MEGALOVANIA a huge, bombastic orchestral piece with Sans's voice actor switching between yelling and growling. Taking it completely seriously, not reflecting Sans's blasé attitude during the fight at all.
All of my top four Pokemon would be neat.
  1. Dhelmise could have some creative stuff done with it's "floating anchor" design.
  2. Noivern might also be fun, probably a rather fast, air-focused Pokemon.
  3. Incineroar is already in the game (and I can confirm it's very fun).
  4. Roserade has really stuck out to me as a Smash possibility for a while for some reason; even started work on a moveset a while back.
I also pushed Marshadow before Incineroar was revealed; it just seemed cool.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would choose Scizor, but they're a Pokeball Pokemon.....so it's a choice between either Gengar, Tyranitar, Galvantula or Chandelure.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I remember the reason a lot of people were so excited for Mega Man in Smash at the time was because of that belief that he was "dead", and Smash was viewed as that return to normalcy for him and it was the first huge project that he was in after those cancellations.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Sans was always meant to be popular, the weird thing is that it's based on the Genocide route in particular. It'd be like if Sephiroth was beloved for his role in a sidequest in Crisis Core.
Is that weird? Sans is just like every other major character in terms of screentime in the Neutral and Pacifist.
Hes mostly kept for Snowdin and has small scenes and cameos after that. Not that different from someone like Undyne.
Contrast this with the Genocide Route. Where he is literally the final boss and hardest fight in the game.
Not to mention him breaking the fourth wall even harder than normal and having tons of unique dialogue implying he has as much information about timelines and saving as Flowey does.

Sans completely pulls the rug out from under you in the Genocide Route. Its no wonder thats what he’s primarily known for.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Ooh, tough call. I think it'd be between Gardevoir, Hydreigon, and Wooloo. Out of the three, I think I might have to go with Gardevoir. I think it's the most popular out of those three.
As much as I like Hydreigon, I have a hard time imaging it (or any Pokemon that's constantly floating) fighting in Smash. Gardevoir is a good popular choice, though I will admit I have never liked this mon, or humanoid pokemon in general.

My favorite example of this is how Undertale the Musical made MEGALOVANIA a huge, bombastic orchestral piece with Sans's voice actor switching between yelling and growling. Taking it completely seriously, not reflecting Sans's blasé attitude during the fight at all.

All of my top four Pokemon would be neat.
  1. Dhelmise could have some creative stuff done with it's "floating anchor" design.
  2. Noivern might also be fun, probably a rather fast, air-focused Pokemon.
  3. Incineroar is already in the game (and I can confirm it's very fun).
  4. Roserade has really stuck out to me as a Smash possibility for a while for some reason; even started work on a moveset a while back.
I also pushed Marshadow before Incineroar was revealed; it just seemed cool.
Oh god Dhelmise. This thing was such a disappointment to me (in competitive). I really liked its design at first, but it's just so bad. Also why did GF make this thing so hard to attain in SuMo?

Down for Roserade though. Toxic spikes as trap versions of white pikmin sounds painful to play against.

Inteleon. I like Gen 8 and I like water starters.
I really wanted to like Intelion...I think it's just like a bit too skinny and it looks off to me. Respectable choice though.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Cynthia coming with Spiritomb, Milotac, and Garchomp.

D

Deleted member

My all time favorite Pokemon are Reuniclus and Quagsire, but I'd probably pick my 3rd favorite Krookadile since Gen V always needs more love and he probably looks the best of my favorite in an actual fighting game.
I'll give my choices for each Generation.

Gen 1: No one; I'd rather not have a pokemon at all if it were limited to Gen 1. They get enough representation and attention.
Gen 2: Typhlosion, my favorite Gen 2 Pokemon
Gen 3: Not a super big fan of this gen either, but if forced to choose one from here, then I'd go with Gardevoir
Gen 4: Empoleon, Infernape, Garchomp, or Gallade
Gen 5: Emboar, Excadrill, Seismatoad, Krookadile, Darmanitan, Zoroark, Mienshao, Gothitelle, or Bisharp I'd be down with
Gen 6: Honestly can't think of any that I think would be cool to add....Delphox I guess?
Gen 7: Lycanroc (Midnight), Lurantis, or Kommo-o
Gen 8: Any Starter, Zarude, Toxicitry, Calyrex & Glastrier/Spectrier (involved in combos or something), Urshifu, Grimmsnarl, Obstagoon, or Dragapault

Honestly though, I'd settle for just having a wave of like 10-15 new Pokeball pokemon put in to represent Gen 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth, Ekans, and Koffing as a team.

Team Rocket would be a cross between transforming characters (Zelda/Sheik, Pokemon Trainer, Pyra/Mythra) and team characters (Ice Climbers, Rosalina & Luma, Duck Hunt, Banjo & Kazooie).

Jessie and James would be in the background like Pokémon Trainer. They send out their Pokémon to team up with Meowth.

Meowth is the main fighter. His tag team partners are Ekans and Koffing. They take turns as Meowth’s tag team partner via Down B.

D

Deleted member

I'd say Cinderace only because I like its soccer theme and think it would be a neat fit.

it totally has nothing to do with anything else, no sirie :4pacman:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Haha, our tastes don't align at all! I suppose I'd be pretty down for Nightmare or Gengar though, and gun to my head, I'd choose Kerrigan if we must have a Blizzard character. Best of luck all the same, though.

Yeah the Crits aren't a deal breaker for me, it's mostly the down B Menu system that turns me off playing him. I didn't really think about the tipper mechanic being crits, since their Final smash are crits, but that kinda makes sense I suppose.

It's funny, my most wanted is a Pokemon, but he wasn't even my first choice because he barely registers as a Pokemon in my mind (PMD Grovyle).

If not him, I'd probably go with Decidueye, Mr. Rime, or Regigigas (in that order). Decidueye is one of my favorites, and I just think the other two would be very mechanically unique.

My other favorites wouldn't work that well. Typhlosion would be a bit boring, and Cursola is barely mobile.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This was hinted at yesterday when the Social Media Guy gained some consciousness.
Ngl, I kinda love how this phrase implies the person managing a social media account lacks consciousness most of the time and just has temporary lapses every once in a while.

Like, companies don't hire people for PR, they strap them to a machine and keep them comatose while some bot hijacks their body or something. :roll:

D

Deleted member

Ngl, I kinda love how this phrase implies the person managing a social media account lacks consciousness most of the time and just has temporary lapses every once in a while.

Like, companies don't hire people for PR, they strap them to a machine and keep them comatose while some bot hijacks their body or something. :roll:
That sounds like the perfect premise for a sci-fi horror film ngl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom