• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I feel like Isaac would be popular with the absolute die hard speculators, and people who really do like Golden Sun.

....but this late into the Pass and Ultimate's life? I have my doubts he'd be as warmly welcomed as hoped.
Eh, later reveals are less hype anyway.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't doubt Isaac will get a bunch of "GeNeRiC aNiMe SwOrDsMaN!" or "LiTeRaL wHo!?" complaints lobbed at him, but I'd imagine the positive reactions and indifferent/neutral reactions would outweigh the negatives overall. he'll get some heat but I don't think he'd be some loathed character or get flack anywhere close to extent Corrin did or even Byleth.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't doubt Isaac will get a bunch of "GeNeRiC aNiMe SwOrDsMaN!" or "LiTeRaL wHo!?" complaints lobbed at him, but I'd imagine the positive reactions and indifferent/neutral reactions would outweigh the negatives overall. he'll get some heat but I don't think he'd be some loathed character or get flack anywhere close to extent Corrin did or even Byleth.
Nah

What'd he get is an image of himself holding a white card saying "Let Golden Sun fans be happy that their character got in. There's still X character(s) left!" :4pacman:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I feel like Isaac is going to get a lot more backlash from Smash Elitist than Pythra for a non Fire Emblem character as his series so basically forgotten by time and it's unknown if it had a bright future unlike Xenoblade, and Smash fans know that the thing that trigger them is: the character origin is from an old obscure forgotten game, anime looking, first party that isn't from a big game like Zelda and Mario Bros and swords lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Arle would be really cool to see. Idk much about Puyo Puyo but it’d be insane to see a pro just trying to clear lines in the middle of a fight lol. A rhythm character is also interesting but timed button presses aren’t as exciting to me. Tbf though it’s hard to top the image of basically playing an entirely different game in Smash. Don’t know too much about the genre but I guess the most likely candidates would be Chorus Kids, Don Chan, or Hatsune Miku. For an FPS it’d have to be Master Chief. Don’t really know how you’d translate the “first person” part of the genre though.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I think a pass 3 is more likely, but it could go this way too. I’d imagine there will be a decently long break between pass 2 and further dlc fighters either way.

I don’t think the 91 CSS limit means anything at all. If they need more slots they can patch it without too much trouble.
I'm pretty sure it has been increased before anyway.
But I'm taking the fact that this pass has taken 2 years as evidence that development is in fact winding down.
I feel like Isaac is going to get a lot more backlash from Smash Elitist than Pythra for a non Fire Emblem character as his series so basically forgotten by time and it's unknown if it had a bright future unlike Xenoblade, and Smash fans know that the thing that trigger them is: the character origin is from an old obscure forgotten game, anime looking, first party that isn't from a big game like Zelda and Mario Bros and swords lol.
Yeah but Pythra is a woman, which is a big part of why Smashfaqs is so mad, so I'd say it'd probably balance out.
You'd also get a load of people really excited that Waluigiis now "100% guaranteed", in the same way Eggman and Chun Li were "100% guaranteed" to be the next fighter after Sephiroth.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The thing with Isaac is that fans are mostly a good deal more optimistic about moveset potential than the end result. K. Rool didn’t have spiked cannonball traps, poisonous gases or a playing dead counter, the Aegis swords don’t interact with Rex to result in a Affinity-based moveset, Banjo-Kazooie is famously a pretty Brawl era set and Ridley didn’t have too many extreme gimmicks either.

Saying that Isaac doesn’t need a sword technically speaking is most likely true, but for the eventual set he has its unlikely he ditches the sword for normals. It’s a pretty pessimistic outlook and of course there’s a debate about how the world doesn’t end with an arcing slash forward air, but Isaac probably won’t have his Dijinn, Plant-powers or Psynetic powers fill a broad range of his moves.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Im going to say it but...yknow, once again, Pokemon does what Pokemon Want.
The Sakurai Present doesnt steal the thunder of any of its announcements or vice versa.
Neither the MH direct will.

They could run all the same week, it wouldn't do anything, and it already happened before.
MH is gonna sell like hotcakes anyway. What's a measly pokemon direct gonna do to it

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I keep finding Pyra/Mythra artwork of them chatting with Banjo-Kazooie.
Not complaining, just funny how a bunch of different artists have decided that these two (three/four?) fighters would have good chemistry/banter off one another.

Faso115

Smash Lord
Not complaining, just funny how a bunch of different artists have decided that these two (three/four?) fighters would have good chemistry/banter off one another.
Mellow person coupled with someone who tends to be rude to other people.

Are we sure Banjo/Kazooie and Pyra/Mythra aren't the same character?

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Not necessarily because they're women, but I've seen some complaints that they're too sexualized for smash, which is honestly a pretty dumb argument considering we already have Bayonetta in the game.
"B-but Bayonetta is supposed to be the ideal fantasy of a man with her slim body seductive look just like in that "video"." It's basically boiled down to "if she's age 30 why didn't she has wrinkle" realism always comes to play if that character is not 1-to-1 with the real world it's a problem (kinda weird that western cartoon didn't get this much problem)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Mythra and Kazooie bickering gives me life.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don't mind whatever genre we get as characters. I don't see a characters as an JRPG REP or PLATFORMING REP.
I just see that character as the character that comes from x Game.

If we get 5 platformers characters from great game. Great. If we get 5 characters from great JRPG sure!

I think people should just stop looking at "representation" as a check list just consider the character by itself. Sakurai didn't look at the previous fighter's genre and be like ,"eh. One more, one less."
He went like "Oh shieet Sephiroth? Persona 5? Xenoblade 2? Dragon Quest? Fatal Fury? Threehouses? Arms? **** YEAH! THEY'RE GREAT GAMES!"
I agree with that to an extent. It would be nice to have a little bit more variety but I don't really mind. I'm more concerned with the character itself than the game they come from. While it would be ideal to have a character I love from a game I also really enjoyed, I tend to pick characters over game representation. For example, Kingdom Hearts and Tales are two of my favorite series but I never really cared for Lloyd or Sora. On the other hand, I've played Warcraft 3 for a bit in high school and never played WoW but I would be much more excited for Illidan than either of them. The same goes for other games I've only played a bit of like Darksiders and Soul Reaver. I just love the character designs so much even if I prefer other games.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Fr if we're going by rounding out base game content this pass then I hope we get a retro character as one of the final 2 just so we can finally get the return of Brawl's take on Famicom Medley after it was unjustly taken from us
That game's medley had a section from the Girl Who Stands Behind's title screen theme.

This is where Ayumi finally wins.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
If Crash ends up happening I really hope we end up getting Coco as an echo fighter alongside him. Purely because I have much stronger nostalgia for her tbh lol and I think she is a really cool character.
I’d love that, but sadly…if we haven’t gotten an Echo Fighter now, I doubt we’re gonna get one any later.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
As with every fighter announcement, I am happy for the fans of Xenoblade 2 who got a character that they wanted, but for me it's just another disappointment in a long line of disappointments. Don't get me wrong, Pyra/Mythra look fun, but after getting 10 DLC characters in total so far that have made so many other people happy, I feel like it's entirely reasonable for me to want to feel that same sense of euphoria that they did. I just want to be able to say that I was hype and crying tears of joy over at least ONE of the characters that appeared in Smash Ultimate DLC that were from a list of characters I want to be in the game. I feel like it isn't unreasonable to want to be able to be hype about a character announcement.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I’d love that, but sadly…if we haven’t gotten an Echo Fighter now, I doubt we’re gonna get one any later.
Well we got Pyra and Mythra as two character on a single slot so I don't think it's too far out of the question. The real problem is what ACTIVISION wants. If they want Crash and Coco in the same pack, all's well. If they want to charge extra for Coco, that's where it falls apart.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
As with every fighter announcement, I am happy for the fans of Xenoblade 2 who got a character that they wanted, but for me it's just another disappointment in a long line of disappointments. Don't get me wrong, Pyra/Mythra look fun, but after getting 10 DLC characters in total so far that have made so many other people happy, I feel like it's entirely reasonable for me to want to feel that same sense of euphoria that they did. I just want to be able to say that I was hype and crying tears of joy over at least ONE of the characters that appeared in Smash Ultimate DLC that were from a list of characters I want to be in the game. I feel like it isn't unreasonable to want to be able to be hype about a character announcement.
Me, as an Elma and Neku supporter

at least I still got my other girls Reimu, Octoling (also the boy version) and Ahri to hope for...

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
To be honest, I think MVC, at least, the newer games that weren't just sprite dumps, also mostly adhere to the "main character / mascot first" rule. At least for the Capcom side, which Capcom obviously has full control over.

Like really, outside of Mega Man being a complete no show in U/MVC3, there isn't anything egregious feeling about the Capcom side. Basically all of the other series represented have their main character or poster boy/girl there, like Ryu, Frank West, Arthur, Chris, Viewtiful Joe, Morrigan, Ammy, Dante and so on.

It's only the Marvel side that's a little weird, like Rocket Raccoon but no Starlord or Doom/Super Skrull but no Fantastic Four, but that was mostly selected by Marvel anyways.
Okay but Zero isn’t the main character of Megaman X

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'll be the first to admit a lot of the DLC announcements (especially first party ones) haven't really excited me all that much, but something I will give credit to Nintendo and Sakurai for is making the mechanics of the new characters fairly worthwhile. This is a gross oversimplification, but I can divide a lot of Smash fighters into four categories with the acknowledgement that some are the borders in terms of placement:

1. Invested in the fighter, love how they play
2. Invested in the fighter, don't like how they play
3. Not Invested in the fighter, love how they play
4. Not invested in the fighter, don't like how they play

Even if I personally haven't gotten a lot of the first category, at worst most of the post launch inclusions have at least fallen into the third category, making them enjoyable to partake in even if I have no personal stake in their games of origin or would have preferred another from their series.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
That twitter annoys me, I technically have not received a single character I wanted so far. I want KOSMOS, or Goemon, or Bandanna Dee, or Ryu from Breath of Fire. I did not ask for Joker, or Hero, or Banjo, or Terry, etc.

But I looked at what we were getting and said "Its not what I wanted, but that looks fun." and ran with it. I have been super happy with the DLC so far. I like the way Hero plays. The spell menu is super fun and I love the self destruct. Banjo plays like a base roster character. It is great. Terry is my fav. I love traditional fighters and being able to do command inputs with him and his super moves is great. Steve is so unique. I love the building mechanics. I enjoyed the way Sephiroth has good trolling moves.

I found fun. Am I sad Goemon, or KOSMOS are not characters. Yes. But I am not going to whine about it online like that twitter image.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
That twitter annoys me, I technically have not received a single character I wanted so far. I want KOSMOS, or Goemon, or Bandanna Dee, or Ryu from Breath of Fire. I did not ask for Joker, or Hero, or Banjo, or Terry, etc.

But I looked at what we were getting and said "Its not what I wanted, but that looks fun." and ran with it. I have been super happy with the DLC so far. I like the way Hero plays. The spell menu is super fun and I love the self destruct. Banjo plays like a base roster character. It is great. Terry is my fav. I love traditional fighters and being able to do command inputs with him and his super moves is great. Steve is so unique. I love the building mechanics. I enjoyed the way Sephiroth has good trolling moves.

I found fun. Am I sad Goemon, or KOSMOS are not characters. Yes. But I am not going to whine about it online like that twitter image.
To be fair, is it entirely unreasonable to want to be able to feel happy about a character reveal? I don't feel like the guy is asking for much. I can totally understand wanting just one character from your wishlist after getting 10 characters in a row that have pleased everybody but you.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
To be fair, is it entirely unreasonable to want to be able to feel happy about a character reveal? I don't feel like the guy is asking for much. I can totally understand wanting just one character from your wishlist after getting 10 characters in a row that have pleased everybody but you.
But this is a fallacy. Each new addition will please different people and not everyone. That is mashing the masses into a single entity in a way. Again, I have not received one DLC character I want. Hell, it took 20 years just to get 1 off of my overall list (being Ridley). People can be disappointed, but that image is taking it to a different level because they are not even remotely trying to find the positive in what was put down.

mariofan48

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mariorocks4life
But this is a fallacy. Each new addition will please different people and not everyone. That is mashing the masses into a single entity in a way. Again, I have not received one DLC character I want. Hell, it took 20 years just to get 1 off of my overall list (being Ridley). People can be disappointed, but that image is taking it to a different level because they are not even remotely trying to find the positive in what was put down.
I guess that's true too? They could add 100 more DLC characters and there would probably still be someone unhappy that they didn't get their character.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Because the point of the post was that they didn't get what they wanted so they are personally not happy and that is really understandable. I didn't get any of my most wants and I'm not so happy about that myself but nowhere am I saying XC2 fans can't be happy

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I guess that's true too? They could add 100 more DLC characters and there would probably still be someone unhappy that they didn't get their character.
I guarantee that will happen. That is why I look at each new addition and see if I like their kit, if I like the personality they bring and other things I can learn. I did not know Hero, but his spell menu looked fun (and is), so I played DQ11 and I loved it. I have done this with each character. And overall, I have been happy with FP1 and FP2. I found fun.

Now, this still does not change the fact that I have most wanted characters, but that twitter image is not portraying the overall experience accurately to me.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Arle would be really cool to see. Idk much about Puyo Puyo but it’d be insane to see a pro just trying to clear lines in the middle of a fight lol. A rhythm character is also interesting but timed button presses aren’t as exciting to me. Tbf though it’s hard to top the image of basically playing an entirely different game in Smash. Don’t know too much about the genre but I guess the most likely candidates would be Chorus Kids, Don Chan, or Hatsune Miku. For an FPS it’d have to be Master Chief. Don’t really know how you’d translate the “first person” part of the genre though.
You just ignore the "first person" thing completely. Same with a rhythm input mechanic - it's not needed, though a small gimmick around 1 move or something could be fine. There's plenty of examples in other fighting games of characters that use music or sound as a weapon. Character movesets can still be respectful of their base game without having to try so hard.

From what I've seen of Isaac supporters, I doubt they'd give 2 ****s about the haters anyway if their boy ever arrives

I'll be the first to admit a lot of the DLC announcements (especially first party ones) haven't really excited me all that much, but something I will give credit to Nintendo and Sakurai for is making the mechanics of the new characters fairly worthwhile. This is a gross oversimplification, but I can divide a lot of Smash fighters into four categories with the acknowledgement that some are the borders in terms of placement:

1. Invested in the fighter, love how they play
2. Invested in the fighter, don't like how they play
3. Not Invested in the fighter, love how they play
4. Not invested in the fighter, don't like how they play

Even if I personally haven't gotten a lot of the first category, at worst most of the post launch inclusions have at least fallen into the third category, making them enjoyable to partake in even if I have no personal stake in their games of origin or would have preferred another from their series.
Hero is #4 for me, though that's still a pretty decent track record for Smash.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
You just ignore the "first person" thing completely. Same with a rhythm input mechanic - it's not needed, though a small gimmick around 1 move or something could be fine. There's plenty of examples in other fighting games of characters that use music or sound as a weapon. Character movesets can still be respectful of their base game without having to try so hard.

From what I've seen of Isaac supporters, I doubt they'd give 2 ****s about the haters anyway if their boy ever arrives

Hero is #4 for me, though that's still a pretty decent track record for Smash.
I think Hero is fun to mess around with but I'm terrible at actually using his down special effectively. I usually just fight the AI and even that is tough for me to make use out of it. Still, I think it is a fun idea. I did really enjoy Dragon Quest 8 and 11 but I never cared for silent protagonists in general so Hero never really interested me much. Jade would have been awesome though. That's one reason I would much rather have Magus or Frog than Crono even if they are much less likely. I do like Joker as far as silent protagonists go but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have been happier with Makoto.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Because the point of the post was that they didn't get what they wanted so they are personally not happy and that is really understandable. I didn't get any of my most wants and I'm not so happy about that myself but nowhere am I saying XC2 fans can't be happy
And I would argue that is not a healthy way to handle all this. Because chances are people will lose the gamble all 10 times and just be miserable. But instead of being unhappy, and looking for the positive, it would not come off as so bitter. And yes, no one is saying "XC2 fans can't be happy" but do you really think that is the sentiment being felt when a good portion of every board I have been on has been "Man. I am not happy with Pyra."

I think that image is specifically looking for a name or check box and not taking in the entire character or experience. Take Terry. Many people did not know him or want him. But he plays like a boss. He is super fun to use and his stage is great. But that image does not incorporate any of that realization. it is "my character is not here. I am sad." I do not like that image.

---

Wanted to also add, I saw a comment of crying tears of joy for a character. I did that for the Goemon Mii costumes. I was sad that he was not a character, but atleast someone, somewhere cared enough to remember he existed. And that made me super happy.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Mellow person coupled with someone who tends to be rude to other people.

Are we sure Banjo/Kazooie and Pyra/Mythra aren't the same character?
I'll be 100% honest, it took me longer than I'll ever admit to realize that Pyra/Mythra weren't these two:

pythra.jpg

We need a name for this...The Bayonetta Fallacy?

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
And I would argue that is not a healthy way to handle all this. Because chances are people will lose the gamble all 10 times and just be miserable. But instead of being unhappy, and looking for the positive, it would not come off as so bitter. And yes, no one is saying "XC2 fans can't be happy" but do you really think that is the sentiment being felt when a good portion of every board I have been on has been "Man. I am not happy with Pyra."

I think that image is specifically looking for a name or check box and not taking in the entire character or experience. Take Terry. Many people did not know him or want him. But he plays like a boss. He is super fun to use and his stage is great. But that image does not incorporate any of that realization. it is "my character is not here. I am sad." I do not like that image.
Hell I'm not gonna lie and say I'm happy with pyra and mythra because I'm not and yeah, imma be sad my character isn't in the game, is a natural feeling. I'm sure the XC2 characters are going to be fun... But hell yeah imma be sad none of my wanted are in. Again, that the point of the post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom