• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be honest, I have a hard time seeing why they'd be able to get Rathalos in, but had to wait until the end of Fighter's Pass 2 to get a Hunter in. That alone makes me think that a Hunter just isn't coming. Still plenty of time for another Capcom rep, but I think Monster Hunter is about as repped as it's going to be.
Well, to be fair, how did they get Cloud in, but had to wait until the middle Fighter's Pass 2 to get in Sephiroth? Or how did they get Spring Man in, but had to wait until the beginning of Fighter's Pass 2 to get Min Min?

I don't think this really holds much water when 3/4 characters so far have been from games that already have content.

I'd prefer them to make games like before, but if someone has to buy their IPs, Silent Hill and Metal Gear are perfect fits for Sony, no questions here.
But then they couldn't be in Super Smash Bros. anymore...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given that Castlevania Adventure got a wonderful (and sadly now hard to play) remake with ReBirth, and Konami put out Twin Snakes back in the day, they could do a lot worse than remaking Metal Gear Ghost Babel. Its more of an obscure title so it would be new to a lot of people, didn't have a lot of Kojima involvement so there wouldn't be that much controversy about messing up his ideas, and its a non-canon/alternative universe title so there's no spoiling of the canon timeline anyway.

Give it Switch exclusivity for a bit before putting it out to other consoles (or multiplatform from the start) and there's a decent profit to be made there.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
that implies that "casual" players don't care at all, which is partially true to a degree, but still a fallacy.
Mm IDK, I'm not much of a fan of Metal Gear or SH but I know giving those ips to Microsoft is a set up for massive failure. They would all become shooters lol
I never meant to imply that "casual" fans think it's a good idea or don't care at all, just that "hardcore" fans would care and don't think it's a good idea

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Honestly, licensing out the IPs is better than selling for them a single reason. Iga can get to that 1999 game that way
Also this.

And besides that, Konami isn't dumb. Maybe they are not interested in developing new games for those series by themselves, but they know they have popular IPs with faithful fans. Licensing out their franchises to other developers is what I'd do if I was in their position.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Also this.

And besides that, Konami isn't dumb. Maybe they are not interested in developing new games for those series by themselves, but they know they have popular IPs with faithful fans. Licensing out their franchises to other developers is what I'd do if I was in their position.
Moreover, while certain gaming departments of theirs are struggling now (mobile and/or pachinko related) Konami still sees value in keeping IP's for use in coordination with them long term and for stuff like the Castlevania TV series.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I had a dream one night where the next Smash fighter was revealed to be a football player called "Madden" They're moveset was a mix between multiple sports like football, baseball, basketball, wrestling, ect. The stage was a Basketball court based on NBA Jam on the SNES with audience members holding EA and Nintendo signs with "sponsors" based on other EA games. Primarily Fifa, Anthem and Dead Space
That is almost my idea for a Backyard Sports character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ok so now I guess I’m on semi hiatus, only popping in to give relevant news

cuz uh have I got something... concerning

Please let Nintendo buy them please... or hell, Square Enix idk
I know this goes against their philosophy, but MAN I wish Nintendo would buy them out. You know it's bad when they're more likely to treat the IPs with respect than the guys who actually own them...

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Moreover, while certain gaming departments of theirs are struggling now (mobile and/or pachinko related) Konami still sees value in keeping IP's for use in coordination with them long term and for stuff like the Castlevania TV series.
They clearly know their IPs have value, is just that developing new entries for their big series would require a lot of resources. And they have been gaining a lot of money from pachinkos and other things. Also smaller IPs such as Momotaro Denmetsu have been incredibly beneficial in Japan. So I guess it's understandable in a way.

If I was Konami and I was doing good with low investment in my IPs, why would I change that?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I never meant to imply that "casual" fans think it's a good idea or don't care at all, just that "hardcore" fans would care and don't think it's a good idea
No doubt, if SH went to Microsoft, you would probably be able to hear many many fan anger and confusion radiate through the air.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Honestly, licensing out the IPs is better than selling for them a single reason. Iga can get to that 1999 game that way
I wouldnt be surprised if Iga's new studio ends doing a castlevania game Dx still.. konami is doing the law of minium effort imo teh best way they could.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I know this goes against their philosophy, but MAN I wish Nintendo would buy them out. You know it's bad when they're more likely to treat the IPs with respect than the guys who actually own them...
I mean at least Nintendo would let the IPs die in peace if anything. I'd be surprised if they do anything with them because all they seem to focus on anymore is Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Splatoon.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Mm IDK, I'm not much of a fan of Metal Gear or SH but I know giving those ips to Microsoft is a set up for massive failure. They would all become shooters lol
My favourite shooters, Killer Instinct, Hellblade, Forza, Battletoads and Minecraft Dungeons 🤡

Sitting on the IPs and doing **** all is worse than licensing them out to interested developers

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Can we at least agree it's better than being stuck in pachinko? That's a fate WORSE than death...
Well yeah, flaying a dead corpse is worse than leaving it alone.
But if people are interested in revitalising it, it's much better to just give them the license for a game, let them put it on as many systems as possible and reap the benefits each time instead of taking a one time payment.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Konami letting some scrappy indie developer do a new entry in Rocket Knight Adventures would be pretty damn cool, I won't lie.

(Hopefully with more consistent results than 2008's Rocket Knight)

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

Welp, can't do anything but hope that they let Platinum Games take care of Metal Gear once again for that one, because MGR2 would be amazing to have.

I.D.

Smash Lord
People don't seem to understand that it's not just enough to own an IP. Even if Nintendo were to buy them (and why would they), which teams do they have that would develop a Metal Gear theN? Which people? Would they be more interested in suddenly working on Metal Gear than whatever it is that they feel comfortable with? Should they also buy studios to go along with their IP acquisition and force them to work on it?
Conversely Nintendo doesn't necessarily sit on certain games just because they ****ing hate you. It's easy to say "make a new F-Zero you assholes" but if nobody is willing or passionate enough to come up with a solid pitch it's not gonna happen. If Itoi doesn't want to make Mother 4 it's not gonna happen. Etcetera.
Why won't Square make a new Chrono Trigger? Because pretty much everyone who worked on those games left the company and the current management doesn't think it's worth it or profitable to look into someone who could revitalize the IP.

Last edited:

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Says first party DLC is disappointing
Has a Pyra avatar

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
With Pyra, Min Min, and Byleth already in, all they really have left to choose for first party dlc are irrelevant nintendo characters that haven't gotten games in years or side characters. Unless there's some kinda new ip that they want to advertise.

I can see captain toad, Astral chain rep, new ip character, pokemon all happening tho despite people saying they are deconfirmed. Also toadette could happen, i think she is a front runner

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I ****ing hate Konami more than most people on here but the last thing I want is for them to SELL their IP. Licensing is fine but if I have to deal with no Snake in Smash because Sony decided to buy Metal Gear I’d be royally pissed. Licensing is good. Really good. A small fee and some royalties while the new developer/publisher makes something incredible out of Silent Hill or Castlevania is ABSOLUTELY best case scenario. And it’s happening it seems.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
A bit random, but those Xenoblade 2 models be looking mad crusty.
I hope they do improve when Pyra/Mythra drop, but they may end up like Byleth's homies.
No chance. The models of Xenoblade 2 are objectively of higher quality and have much better rigging than Smash models (especially noticeable in how Pyra and Mythra's hair and capes move), it's no surprise they had to tone them down considering Smash runs at higher resolution and 60 fps. And these ones in particular being just background cameos they unsurprisingly get the lowest priority.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
With Pyra, Min Min, and Byleth already in, all they really have left to choose for first party dlc are irrelevant nintendo characters that haven't gotten games in years or side characters. Unless there's some kinda new ip that they want to advertise.

I can see captain toad, Astral chain rep, new ip character, pokemon all happening tho despite people saying they are deconfirmed. Also toadette could happen, i think she is a front runner
cough cough Euden cough cough

jadetheseer

Smash Cadet
So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think? (and what two characters would make YOU the most happy, no matter how far-fetched or unrealistic?)

Otoad64

Smash Lord
The fact that his game barely exists on the European market makes him unlikely.
I never got this arguement because we have characters like Lucas who's game has never left Japan, though I guess at least his franchise has...
So I have a question for you guys: What two characters do you think would please the greatest amount of people if they were revealed as the last two characters? As in, most of the Smash fanbase would be rejoicing and people would be happy or at least okay with them even if they weren't the characters they wanted. I would say Crash and Dante but I really don't know to be honest. What do you all think? (and what two characters would make YOU the most happy, no matter how far-fetched or unrealistic?)
it's kinda hard to say who would make the most people happy but i'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say Crash & Sora. But Bandana Dee and Toad would make me the most happy

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As I've said before, I'd be more inclined to believe in Euden's chances if he and his franchise had ever appeared on an Nintendo console in any sort of way. Going from mobile only IP to being a major DLC character in Smash just strikes me as too big a jump.

Realistically?

Probably Master Chief and Sora. Would get huge press and would make a lot people extremely happy.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I never got this arguement because we have characters like Lucas who's game has never left Japan, though I guess at least his franchise has...
I think Sakurai mentioned that, had he known Mother 3 would be Japan-exclusive, he wouldn't have added Lucas.

That being said, Dragalia Lost ISN'T Japan-exclusive, so I think it has a chance.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Honestly? either a combination of crash and either Monster Hunter, or Heavy Weapons guy.
Crash is the one to please smash fans that wants console gaming icons, psx fans, multiplataform gamers and japanese western enthusiasts, fans of mascot characters, fans of platformers.. oh, and and crash fans too.
On the othe hand, monster hunter and heavy have their added bonus that neither really overlaps with the ones that are pleased with crash. and to boot have inmense fanbases on their own that not necesarily overlap with smash.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Sora and Sora

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Sakurai was unaware that Mother 3 wasn't being localized when he added Lucas in Brawl.
I think Sakurai mentioned that, had he known Mother 3 would be Japan-exclusive, he wouldn't have added Lucas.

That being said, Dragalia Lost ISN'T Japan-exclusive, so I think it has a chance.
yeah, I know that, but it's not like he couldn't just scrap him or something

basically I think being reigion exclusive isn't too big of a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom