• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Shroob Shroob is dancing on the ceiling.

Back to reality though, fire is one of the most common elements across movesets. Almost every character has at least one flame effect.
Oh, I know, I don't actually believe it..but it is really funny that everyone has a fire attack thus far, aside from Mythra, lol
Its also very try about how common it is, the only character without a Fire Attack in all of the DLC is Banjo & Kazooie, unless you count the explosion of their Egg Grenade since all of the rest of the DLC characters do have fire attacks.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Oh, I know, I don't actually believe it..but it is really funny that everyone has a fire attack thus far, aside from Mythra, lol
Its also very try about how common it is, the only character without a Fire Attack in all of the DLC is Banjo & Kazooie, unless you count the explosion of their Egg Grenade since all of the rest of the DLC characters do have fire attacks.
Terry doesn't actually have any flame attacks mechanically. BK's rear egg is a flame attack so it'd count.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Well, in base game it got a then newer character with Incineroar. And you gotta keep in mind, base game got like only 4 new stages anyways(one being Simon's stage), not counting the updated takes on old stages. The fact that base game got a few new characters and a chunk of echoes is also reflected in the stage selection I guess. Which, in my eyes, is understandable. You don't pull a crazier Marvel 2 without having to cut corners in some areas. MK Armageddon had to simplify most of its roster to get 60 mother****ers in it.

It could be one of the DLC characters is a Pokemon, it's something most people kind of expected, with some dreading and others hyping up. But its not as if Pokemon got completely looked over as a title like some viewed ARMS and XBC2, though even that might be a tad disingenuous, since XBC2 got music and ARMS got 2 Mii costumes and an AT. But hey, Pokemon was able to give us the proper wrestler that Smash needed.

I could also say its strange something like Snipperclips didn't get a stage considering its an early switch game and we do get stages from less known titles like the green screen eye burner that is electroplankton.
I think that's mostly because they took a lot of times remastering the old Melee, Brawl and 3ds stages. If we had less returning stages, I think we would have got more new stages like Pokémon gen 7 stages. Personally, I really wish we could have a Tropical freeze stage, a Dr. Mario stages, a Rhythm heaven stage and a Brain age stage.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Regarding Nintendo itself, it IS a bit of a shame the GBA and DS kind of got looked over. Two of the most successful handheld consoles of all time. And one of the most successful consoles ever, and I think Lucario might be the only character that originates from those systems. Hell, even the Gamecube got another new character this time around with Dark Samus. On top of Olimar, Ike and Bowser Jr.

So in this post I would like to bring to attention to how Mega Man.EXE, the greatest Gameboy Advance character is a Pretty Cool Guy ™ and should be in the game. You see, in the year 2001, a young man has to fight cyber crime starting with someone hacking his family's oven, causing a fire, which was the style at the time...

Shroob

Sup?
Regarding Nintendo itself, it IS a bit of a shame the GBA and DS kind of got looked over. Two of the most successful handheld consoles of all time. And one of the most successful consoles ever, and I think Lucario might be the only character that originates from those systems. Hell, even the Gamecube got another new character this time around with Dark Samus. On top of Olimar, Ike and Bowser Jr.

So in this post I would like to bring to attention to how Mega Man.EXE, the greatest Gameboy Advance character is a Pretty Cool Guy ™ and should be in the game. You see, in the year 2001, a young man has to fight cyber crime starting with someone hacking his family's oven, causing a fire, which was the style at the time...
Roy?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I think that's mostly because they took a lot of times remastering the old Melee, Brawl and 3ds stages. If we had less returning stages, I think we would have got more new stages like Pokémon gen 7 stages. Personally, I really wish we could have a Tropical freeze stage, a Dr. Mario stages, a Rhythm heaven stage and a Brain age stage.
Yep. I mentioned that a lot of stages got remade this time around.

If you want to get a bit pedantic with me here, he also originated on the Gamecube like Olimar and Ike.

ZelDan

Smash Master

:lucas:debuted on the GBA

While I think :roymelee: technically showed on gamecube first with his melee appearance, his actual game was on GBA

:zerosuitsamus:, if you feel like counting her separately, also debuted on GBA with Metroid Zero Mission...kinda. Metroid Zero Mission was the first time we could actually control Samus this way...outside a cheat code...now that I type this I feel like I'm stretching things...

yeah that's all I got.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna crosspost something I posted in the Bandana Dee and Quote threads. Take it with a grain of salt but this was a very interesting thought I had.

Coming to to you guys with a little theory!

It's based on Voice Threoy. Now contrary to popular belief, it's not about forming a perfect box. it's about filling up placeholder slots in the game's files! We had five left when Steve was added. Sephiroth took up two, and Pyra/Mythra might do the same. That leaves us with one voice slot for two characters. Voiceless characters have no voice slots, so this means that, providing the next patch doesn't add any, that one of the remaining characters will be silent. This helps Bandana Dee immensely! Alongside that, he could be our final first party as a way of thanking HAL, in the Ultimate Smash game, for getting Smash off of the ground. So come March if the Pyra/Mythra patch adds no more placeholder voice slots, then we have a good amount of hope!

Plus Bandana Dee has little to no competition in this regard!
Other voiceless contenders:
Prince of all Cosmos
Louie (they refused to give Olimar his voice, same could happen for Louie)
Master Chief (?)
Adeleine

Keep your eyes peeled!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
How about a slight deviation: What are your favorite character designs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
Ridley in Ultimate looks like someone took his design in Other M and fixed everything wrong with it, making it my personal favorite design for the character period.
Lookit this glowup.
->

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

While I think :roymelee: technically showed on gamecube first with his melee appearance, his actual game was on GBA

:zerosuitsamus:, if you feel like counting her separately, also debuted on GBA with Metroid Zero Mission...kinda. Metroid Zero Mission was the first time we could actually control Samus this way...outside a cheat code...now that I type this I feel like I'm stretching things...

yeah that's all I got.
I think what he's trying to say is we should've got Isaac.

So let the man speak.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Seeing V-Shift in SFV, I gotta wonder, do any of you guys have a crazy new mechanic you want in a Smash game eventually? Whether through an update or a later game?

yeah that's all I got.
That is true, I did forget Lucas at least. So it's not so bad after all.

I probably wouldn't count ZSS if only because she did exist on the NES in some fashion.

I think what he's trying to say is we should've got Isaac.

So let the man speak.
Yeah I'd want to throw rocks at Peach and Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Rhythm heaven is still alive, trust me it's doing good for itself, it's around pikmin and xenoblade tier.
Rhythm Heaven has an active and lively fanbase for sure but the series itself is not bigger than Pikmin. A new installment might sell better than Xenoblade but that entirely depends on whether or not it's an Eshop exclusive in NA again.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mythra is her own character. She's just sharing a slot, but is effectively just as much like one as Sheik is now.

So we're getting slightly more characters than expected... by 1. And it's not a bonus character. Funny that~

Anyway, it's cool they did this. Not for Rex fans, but showing they aren't afraid to have team up characters again. The issue was mainly how badly Zelda/Sheik meshed together, and Samus/ZSS never actually was balanced around it(or attempted to). Pokemon Trainer is poorly done to some degree, even with buffs, but it tried to give a reason to change that isn't "one can ko, one racks up damage", and as of Ultimate, somewhat works well. I imagine Pyra/Mythra will work a lot better too.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Mythra is her own character. She's just sharing a slot, but is effectively just as much like one as Sheik is now.

So we're getting slightly more characters than expected... by 1. And it's not a bonus character. Funny that~
I wasn't looking at the gameplay too hard, but I would be surprised if Pyra and Mythra weren't clones of each other, to be honest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wasn't looking at the gameplay too hard, but I would be surprised if Pyra and Mythra weren't clones of each other, to be honest.
Oh, that's not what I mean. I mean they aren't alts and are effectively no different from other transformation characters. A full character with all the bells and whistles. So their own amiibo(might as well be confirmed by design), their own spirits(again, heh), and already their own ID.

Polan

Smash Lord

Anyway, it's cool they did this. Not for Rex fans, but showing they aren't afraid to have team up characters again. The issue was mainly how badly Zelda/Sheik meshed together, and Samus/ZSS never actually was balanced around it(or attempted to). Pokemon Trainer is poorly done to some degree, even with buffs, but it tried to give a reason to change that isn't "one can ko, one racks up damage", and as of Ultimate, somewhat works well. I imagine Pyra/Mythra will work a lot better too.
i like to think they developed mythra not for any gameplay or lore reasons but just to hit that even 82 at the end of the pass.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
They aren't clones.

Mythra has different specials, some kind of counter/dodge with Foresight, and she seems to be focused on speed while Pyra's the offense.
I mean, none of that means they aren't clones. It means they aren't Echo Fighters, but neither I nor the game is calling them that.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
i like to think they developed mythra not for any gameplay or lore reasons but just to hit that even 82 at the end of the pass.
That kinda bugs me more than it should just because 81 is a perfectly good square number in its own right.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't know. I'm not good at analyzing Smash trailers in terms of gameplay and moves, but I feel it's likely that each one has her own moves. The specials will be different, that is pretty much obvious in the trailer, I'd say. Besides that, I'm pretty sure each one will have some properties and some kind of gimmick. Like, Pyra hits harder but is a bit slower, and the other way around for Mythra.

Maybe they share a few moves, but to me it feels like they're pretty much unique characters. If Mythra was an echo fighter, I believe the website would be like
Pyra 81
Mythra 81 ε

And that's not the case. I know Sakurai said that we wouldn't get echo fighters for DLC, but in this scenario the echo fighter would be an extra character and not the main one, so I don't think that would be a problem.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Full stop, I know **** about Xenoblade 2 aside from a few scattered memes

But I can already tell who my favorite characters are

View attachment 303981

Sometimes, you can just tell characters are "Token dumbasses" at a glance.
You're not too far off lol.

But while Zeke's definitely a goofball and has some extremely bad luck at times, he's got his fair share of wisdom too.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
ok so apparently why ResetEra, Twitter, etc. were mad about Pyra/Mythra jokes was because apparently people really were being rather perverted and reducing them to objectified characters like their physical stuffs was all their characters were, and I guess in combination with how women are outnumbered in the community at least at tournaments and maybe online (idk I just read this stuff I don’t know the statistics) it made them feel uncomfortable, plus the stuff with minors I think idk.

So in that sense I understand why people were mad, I think it was dumb of ResetEra to ban people simply saying they’re hot though (of course it would be weird and stupid to outright say it in real life instead of normally giving a compliment, but these are fictional characters and not real people so just saying they look [insert word that can mean attractive] randomly isn’t really a big deal imo but I guess it is weird since they’re fictional not that I haven’t also had stupid crushes on fictional girls, and so I’m not gonna judge anyone for having the same).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, that's just a bonus by design, heh. Any transformation character would've done that. Or they could've not done one. XD

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Terry doesn't actually have any flame attacks mechanically. BK's rear egg is a flame attack so it'd count.
I'd say some of Terry's attacks are still fire, even if they don't do Fire Damage, same with Joker's Side Special's, which have a fire-like effect.

Actually, we have characters from both GBA & DS.
:ultroy::ultlucas::ultzss: - GameBoy Advance
:ultlucario: - Nintendo DS
Lucario's first appearance was a cameo in the dual release of Mystery Dungeon Red & Blue Rescue Team, a release on both GBA & DS, though it was designed for Pokémon Diamond & Pearl, DS games. As for ZS Samus, Brawl listed her first game as Metroid: Zero Mission, even with the suitless Samus only present in the NES version of Metroid, it wasn't in the Famicom Disc System original.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, none of that means they aren't clones. It means they aren't Echo Fighters, but neither I nor the game is calling them that.
Funny thing is that clones are still very much a thing. Isabelle is a clone too(albeit, much more on the semi side, unlike Dr. Mario, a regular clone with not many differences, or Ken, an Echo fighter with a decent amount of changes. And definitely not Daisy, who has only hurtbox changes due to taunts/animations differing from Peach. Which, honestly, is horrible and she should have better differences. Don't need to be Ken level, but she's not really a case where playing one over the other can have an advantage. I think Dark Samus or Samus had better hurtboxes to allow for easier dodge, as the floaty effects were... identical? That, and they have a few elemental differences, as Dark Samus has no fire attacks. Simon/Richter are also elementally differences. And Chrom/Lucina has more changes overall, which imo, are the perfect example of enough differences to be worth using on their own).

I'm guessing if they aren't unique, Pyra and Mythra are at best semi-clones, like maybe Wolf level.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Really, this is just totally wrong. Pikmin 3 on Switch has sold almost 2 million copies and Pikmin 4 is probably coming eventually (well it was coming soon 5 years ago so who knows at this point). Xenoblade is a very young franchise but that has grown super fast with Chronicles 2 selling 2 millions copies and Xenoblade definitie edition selling 1.42 million sales. The only Rhythm games to top 1 million is the DS one more than 10 years ago.

I love Ryhthm heaven, but there's no way anyone would think the franchise is doing as well as Xenoblade. I think the next Xenoblade (which is probably already in development) will sell even better.
so do i, but it's worth noting Rhythm heaven and pikmin were always "good games at the wrong time"

and yeah i do believe Xenoblade 3 will sell better than 2 but Rhythm heaven's best selling game is at 3.43 million, Xenoblade has a while to go.

not too mention it's extreme popularity in japan, a new rhythm heaven will do 1 million in japan alone (which the pikmin 3 will do which is huge for the franchise) as a whole rhythm heaven is the same size as both. (and once the switch game comes out it will be bigger than both).

it won't get a character this pass since the next game is likely 2022-2024 territory, so maybe a fp3 or fp4 ca do it but neither will happen.

i'm just telling you, for first party pick's you all are sleeping on Rhythm heaven and style savvy, for the next game at least.

Megamix has sold over a million as well btw.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How about a slight deviation: What are your favorite character designs in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?
I'm honestly in awe whenever I take the time to appreciate K. Rool in Ultimate. He looks absolutely perfect.

I'd also say Dedede but I'm a bit biased. Smash has done its big boys justice, I think everyone can agree to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom