• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Don't really remember the last time i used this website or visited this thread, but after watching TerminalMontages newest video, it would've been kinda cool to talk about it in a hypothetical Geno thread
ohwait...
Oh, I bet they'd be going CRAZY right now...

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't have much experience with LoL, but the characters look cool and I think they'd be pretty fun in Smash. I just dread the backlash we'd have to sit through...

For the characters, I'm going with Ahri by default for being one of the few characters I'm familiar with (Not a very high bar to clear, mind you). Aside from that, I also know about Ryze getting a revamp every other Tuesday, Lux(?) referencing Marisa a lot, Teemo being ironically hated, an Yasuo being unironically hated. I'm just gonna hope it's not the latter, in that case. The negative reactions would be strong enough already.
Ironically, Yasuo probably would slot into Smash better than any of the others. It's kind of astonishing we don't have a Samurai character despite it being such a common archetype for video games. In general I think melee heroes would look less clunky jumping around in Smash than ranged ones, though if we absolutely had to have a LoL Rep then I would shill out for my boi Twisted Fate.

Let me put it like this: for those unaware, you don't go into a League match just by picking your character. You choose (or get assigned) a role in the field, then declare which champion you want, then there's the banning phase (aka you take out who you'd rather not play against) and THEN you pick your character. It's simpler than this in Blind Pick matches, but you get the idea.

So, that banning phase part? Yasuo is consistently in the top 5 most banned among both casual and competitive matches since July 2016. And no, it surprisingly isn't all related to just being good in higher elo. It fluctuates a lot (in part because of the meta), but that's how bad it is for him. There's at best two or three other champions out of the 150+ that can boast that same claim.

Tldr: if a LoL character got in, I can see a part of the Smash fandom being salty.

But if Yasuo gets in? I can see both a part of the Smash AND LoL fandoms being salty.

This Reddit post compiled some pretty decent info, as well as a link to a YT video with the graphs since 2016, in case anyone's interested.
The LoL community's negative reception towards Yasuo as a character is overblown. Some people hate playing against him, but it's not like he gets hate when he appears in other promotional League videos, and he appears in a lot of those (here here here and here)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The LoL community's negative reception towards Yasuo as a character is overblown. Some people hate playing against him, but it's not like he gets hate when he appears in other promotional League videos, and he appears in a lot of those (here here here and here)
I mean, if we're being completely fair here, Yasuo is also a highly picked champion, just as much as he is highly banned.

He's certainly not hated on a unanimous, universal level by the LoL community, sure, but it can't be denied that he is quite a divisive champ.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, if we're being completely fair here, Yasuo is also a highly picked champion, just as much as he is highly banned.

He's certainly not hated on a unanimous, universal level by the LoL community, sure, but it can't be denied that he is quite a divisive champ.
Yasuo gets more than most, but most popular picks get some amount of hate. It comes with the territory of being an online game for toxic children. I doubt the League community backlash is anything to be concerned by next to the backlash from the Smash community.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yasuo gets more than most, but most popular picks get some amount of hate. It comes with the territory of being an online game for toxic children. I doubt the League community backlash is anything to be concerned by next to the backlash from the Smash community.
I mean, LoL can get pretty toxic dude. I have heard people have been doxxed and swatted. As bad as the Smash community can be, LoL is almost infamous for having arguably the worst community.

Devs are nice though, even if their choice in bus drivers is poor.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I mean, LoL can get pretty toxic dude. I have heard people have been doxxed and swatted. As bad as the Smash community can be, LoL is almost infamous for having arguably the worst community.

I never said the LoL community isn't toxic. I know full well how toxic it is, as I'm a part of it. I'm saying that the LoL community wouldn't even have a negative reception to Yasuo in Smash while Smash players would.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Please don't tell me you guys are having a **** measuring contest on who's more toxic like being slightly less toxic than another toxic thing is good.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Please don't tell me you guys are having a **** measuring contest on who's more toxic like being slightly less toxic than another toxic thing is good.
...That wasn't what was happening though? If you're going to make pointless condescending comments you could at least make sure to read the conversation properly.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I'm doubting it due to the Daemon X Machina Spirit Event that came before a character from them. Marvelous owns DXM
Mhm, however mama got a spirit event before sephiroth came out so it's only really the franchise that matters, it just deconfirms DxM.

SKX31

Smash Master

...That wasn't what was happening though? If you're going to make pointless condescending comments you could at least make sure to read the conversation properly.
I kinda feel Will jumped the gun, although it kinda inched towards the territory with "arguably the worst community". Not entirely, no, but I'm not keen on seeing hair-splitting over what's the worst. Especially since it's going to be difficult as **** and pointless pretty much to compare stuff like "ur mom" / "cyka blyat" (insert similiar curse phrases in other languages)" with lets say teabagging. Or doxxing / swatting to other kinds of threats. It's also extremely difficult to tell how often those happen within each community due to the data being strictly gathered by the corps maintaining the games.

That said, yeah LoL has some really bad aspects in its community.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
That's cool and all, but I'd rather they just FIX Ganondorf, than waste a slot on a 2nd Ganon.
I agree, but if Sakurai is really committed to having Ganondorf stay as his OC interpretation. I wouldn’t mind a LTTP Pig Ganon wielding a trident and magic spells.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm all down for Ganon honestly. Not only another villain but also a magic-wielding super heavyweight and among the last Nintendo All-Stars alongside Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Impa, and Toad.

I would also go on to say alongside Impa. He's the most "deserving" Zelda rep for Smash not in.

Of course this is using the classic blue design with the trident.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is cool, but I want a Zelda newcomer. Not a newcomer, NEWcomer. Like goddamn, it's been two decades since we've had a fresh face, just give me Tingle or something that isn't the equivalent of Dr. Link since they don't want to give each of the green bois standout features.
I agree. It's been way too long since we've had a %100 new Zelda fighter. The Last character we got was Toon Link in Brawl but it's obvious he's based on regular Link. The last unique fighter we got was Zelda and Sheik from Melee. It's been 20 years since then though.

The easiest answer would be Demon Pig Ganon or Impa but I guess that also depends on how they want to represent the franchise. The characters we got are the ones who get new incarnations with each game and maybe that's what they're trying to stick with? And like I said Ganon and Impa are the only ones left who are like that (well there is Tingle as well as he's brought back as much as Sheik is) This may also explain why most of the popular choices were reduced to Assist Trophies like Midna, Ghirahim and Skull Kid as they don't get that many (or any) additional incarnations.

Maybe we could add a reoccurring species and have different members of said species act as costumes? Maybe a Goron fighter with costumes based on Daruk, Darbus, Medigoron, ect.

I did at one point also think of a retro character based on the old man who gives you your first sword in the original Legend of Zelda as his moveset could exclusively be based on weapons that could be sold or given to Link from older titles.
It's_dangerous_to_go_alone!_Take_this..png

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
This week might be somewhat telling on if/how Nintendo does reveals. SM3DW has been getting the focus of a lot of advertising/attention and with it out the question is if they shift to gradual news on upcoming releases or just hold off until we get to the marketing blitz for MH Rise.

Not mention its entirely possible for Zelda to get an anniversary push given its 35th is a week away (possibly with Pokemon's 25th the week after).

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I still think the next Zelda character should be Skull Kid or Midna. Even if they're one shots, I think the fact that they're still Nintendo icons in their own right over 15 years after their single prominent appearance should speak volumes about the worth of their character.

I like them both just about equally so I wouldn't mind one way or another. Ganon (or Tetra) is super cool but I think the main problem in Zelda's lineup lies in its unwillingness to expand beyond the Triforce Trio and that would just exacerbate the issue... even though I admittedly would REALLY like Tetra to scratch that dedicated pirate character itch.

As for Impa, she just doesn't interest me very much at all. I think Zelda has way more interesting, colorful options that are significant in their own right and we shouldn't have to settle for the "next in line" just because. In regards to recurring characters, I actually would enjoy Tingle though. Or give me Beedle, that would be a lot of fun lmao. Just don't feel like being limited by whoever is the most logical or makes the most sense for series representation or whatever. We have Link, Zelda and Ganondorf so from that point forward we can add pretty much whoever we want, in my eyes.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Though then again keep in mind the earthquake might possibly delay the next presentation and reveal which is understandable. So we might even have to wait until late March.

This did happen with the Nintendo Direct that would reveal Isabelle.

Last edited:

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
Also 3 Links would be better, imo, if they were the Wolf Link & Midna and MM Link that changes masks Pokemon Trainer style.
Guess I'd say that I don't mind having the same character more than once if they can distinguish themselves enough

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I was only mildly for Impa for a while, but after going through a decent portion of Age of Calamity and seeing how wonderfully broken she is in that game, I really want to see that variation in Smash.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I have a genuine question for those who think Lloyd has a chance to be playable.
Most people write off Spyro, because he's contingent upon Crash being playable first, as he's Activision's bigger property.
Assuming that you agree with that framing, how are Lloyd's chances not nerfed by Heihachi's disconfirmation? Tekken is a much bigger Bandai-Namco IP. This is the same concept.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I have a genuine question for those who think Lloyd has a chance to be playable.
Most people write off Spyro, because he's contingent upon Crash being playable first, as he's Activision's bigger property.
Assuming that you agree with that framing, how are Lloyd's chances not nerfed by Heihachi's disconfirmation? Tekken is a much bigger Bandai-Namco IP. This is the same concept.
One thing with Tales, its one of JPRG's biggest franchises and very well massive over there in Japan. A reason to not write it off.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I was only mildly for Impa for a while, but after going through a decent portion of Age of Calamity and seeing how wonderfully broken she is in that game, I really want to see that variation in Smash.
Wouldn't that have to go by with Koei Tecmo tho? I mean they wouldn't say no since they already work on Smash, but I still want to ask.

Instead we get a Tales rep or Cinderace.

why you gotta kill my vibe mike?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Tekken and Tales don't really have anything to do with one another. They're entirely different genres and appeal to different audiences.

Crash and Spyro are sister series. It's more akin to Donkey Kong or Wario getting in over Mario, whereas Lloyd over Heihachi would be like, at worst the equivalent of Link joining Soul Calibur over Mario. I don't think the disparity is that vast to be jarring or anything since PAC-MAN is already in and leaves every other series in the dust relative to his impact and popularity anyway.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's likely due to the size of both series and/or how associated with each other they are. Crash and Spyro are usually brought up at the same time while Heihachi and Lloyd aren't necessarily, and Tales and Tekken both have a lot going for them based on their merits, while Spyro can't quite say the same in comparison to Crash.

Though, whenever one is to list the reasons why Spyro is unlikely, it never really has anything to do with Crash, so perhaps that first assumption is just bogus.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While it's not quite as big, I don't think, Tales is still pretty popular on it's own. From what I can gather, it gets anniversary streams and conventions, something that only major series get. Plus, Lloyd has been a fairly popular request for a decent amount of time.
Plus, as others have mentioned, Spyro is Crash's sister series and has a wider gap than Lloyd and Heihachi, not to mention getting a butchered Japanese release. As such, he's often left in the dust, while Lloyd has points in his favor that allow him to keep up.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing that might be worth considering is that Spyro has been seen as unlikely due to the crapshow that was his Japanese port, but that might not actually be looking at the full picture for the character. Ever since Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, Spyro has become a representative for not just his own series, but the Skylanders series as well right? He hasn't quite gotten the same spotlight in advertising as he did in the first game (EDIT: because gimmicks), but he's still front and center for everything else as far as I've seen.

I don't really know what that means for him, but uh...food for thought I guess.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the more suitable comparison would be "why would they choose Soul Calibur if they passed on Tekken when Tekken is more successful", and even then the answer could be as simple as "Nightmare is cool as hell". As always, the moral is the Smash is not just a checklist of series and names.

As long as Pac-Man is here, IMO, they can go with whoever they want lmao.
Namco already has their true essential just as Sega has Sonic and SE has Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Capcom is a little different though.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Also 3 Links would be better, imo, if they were the Wolf Link & Midna and MM Link that changes masks Pokemon Trainer style.
Guess I'd say that I don't mind having the same character more than once if they can distinguish themselves enough
I do feel that there's a major disconnect between how different people view "same character" - it's inconsistent, but a very rough category might be "casual" and "competitive" just for lack of a better comparision. Some competitive-leaning people view Chrom and Roy (or even Marth / Lucina) as entirely different characters because the small changes have knock-on effects (for example, one can argue MockRock falls under this category) - the same with the 3 Links. But most people interpret "distinguish" as in more obvious differences.

FTR, when it comes to the 3 Links... please give Toon Link Pegasus Boots or whatever. Partly because I'm personally tired of seeing Spin be their shared Up B (and, in Ultimate, a primary out of shield move for all 3 Links). I'm with MockRock when it comes to the Links: Yeah, they play differently, but Toon Link's been in three straight games at this point with the relatively same formula. It'd be refreshing to see some changes there. The sword swings are kinda fine, but Toon Link could use some unique Special moves at this point. Young Link could certainly see some new moves, yes, I'm just not as sure what to do with him when Sakurai and co. directly made him into the Combo Link. The Mask transformations might clash with that playstyle unless it's carefully handled or Young Link sees a rework entirely.

My understanding was that Spyro is typically written off due to the franchise being all but non-existent in Japan and Smash has typically gone for characters that had some presence both there and in the West for DLC (even if one is often significantly bigger than the other)
When it comes to DLC specifically I don't think that will ever change, not even in the possible future where more regions are major for Nintendo by the time Smash 6 / 7 rolls around (5-10 million+ Nintendo systems bought under a generation in the area - preferably consistently. That's how I personally interpret "major region"). If only because those DLC gotta sell, and picking a character that's unknown to Japanese audiences might cause unneccessary headaches for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Bigger IPs don't automatically mean Smash priority

Resident Evil is a much bigger series for Capcom than both Mega Man and Street Fighter, yet unlike the other two, RE got nothing more than a couple of Spirits
I feel like this might apply a little more to Western 3rd parties. If we are to get another Western fighter it would probably be someone from a bigger series.

ARandomZoomer

Smash Apprentice
That would be 6 Links though, which is the main problem with the mask mechanic idea.
Like I said I wouldn't mind having the same character if they're different enough. They might all be Link but instead of 3 elves of various sizes, you have 1 elf, a wolf with an imp, a deku shrub, a goron, and a zora. I'd say the latter options are much more appealing and that them being Link would feel more like a technically than anything in the context of smash

Edit: also to clarify when I refer to MM Link, I'm taking his Hylain form out of the equation completely

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Has anybody talked about this thing yet? It was posted on the Ryu Hayabusa thread.
1613353500311.png

It looks pretty convincing, but it could be just Grinch leak Mk.II here. Looking like the latter the more I look at it.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Has anybody talked about this thing yet? It was posted on the Ryu Hayabusa thread.
View attachment 303114
It looks pretty convincing, but it could be just Grinch leak Mk.II here. Looking like the latter the more I look at it.
Theres no shot in hell the next 6 fighters poster art is done already. I don’t buy it for a second.
Especially considering only 3 more fighters are confirmed to be coming.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom