• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I think a double reveal is certainly possible, when though I have no clue.
I could see a June double reveal that ends with CP11 releasing in September.
Though I still think it’s unlikely.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Could you imagine.

Upon the end-run of Pass 2 its confirmed that's all the characters were getting.

But...

It's announced any modes from past games that weren't included into base game will be added in updates. Boss Rush, Board the Platforms, Break the Targets, Smash Run, World of Light Expansion (More cutscenes and story to it notably).

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
...Maybe because they might like the playstyles and would thus want to put their own spins on them without drastically altering them?

In a more practical sense, though, it’s a lot easier to draw sprite animations of official animations instead of brand new ones since official animations allow you to use the in-game animations as reference. IIRC, the person who made Sonic‘s and Tails’ current sprites said that it was far easier to make Sonic’s sprites than Tails’ sprites for this reason.
I think a decloned Ganondorf would have resulted in more SSF2 players in both the short and long terms. There are a bunch of games with Falcondorf. One can play as decloned Ganondorf only via mods that aren't even legal in most Project M/Legacy/+ tournaments (except Ganondorf's float).

Regarding Soul Calibur, I would be rooting for Ivy if her sexuality weren't so essential to her character. There's a great costume in the concept art for II or III that I think would work (I dislike the giant dress and the slicked-back hair.), but I just don't really want to play as Ivy in Smash.

I think Yoshimitsu would be a great pick from Soul Calibur (and Tekken).

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
1. Eggman or Tails
2. Dragapult
3. Waluigi
4. Arle
5. Bandanna Dee
6. Crash

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Another little game:
My picks are:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
Sure

1. Eggman
2. Lycanroc Dusk (Dragapult if it has to be Gen 8)
3. Paper Mario
4. Arle
5. Magalor
6. Crash Bandicoot

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Another little game:
  1. Eggman
  2. Cinderace
  3. King Boo
  4. Arle
  5. Bandana Dee
  6. Either Sora or Crash
  1. Eggman
  2. Delphox
  3. Waluigi
  4. Arle/Sig/Rulue/Ringo/Tee (Really any character from Puyo Puyo Tetris)
  5. Gooey
  6. Krystal

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Could you imagine.

Upon the end-run of Pass 2 its confirmed that's all the characters were getting.

But...

It's announced any modes from past games that weren't included into base game will be added in updates. Boss Rush, Board the Platforms, Break the Targets, Smash Run, World of Light Expansion (More cutscenes and story to it notably).
honestly that's best case scenario for me

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Could you imagine.

But...

Pretty sure thats the first step to total ascension. The amount of content it would bring would give Smash literal years of single player replayability.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pretty sure thats the first step to total ascension. The amount of content it would bring would give Smash literal years if replayability.
By virtue of being a fighting game, it's already got years of replayability, I mean, look at Melee. That's still going strong 20 years in.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Could you imagine.

But...

I Hope so. Smash Ultimate honestly was a Huge stepback in Single Player to be honest. I'd say it's on Par with Smash 64 (which was the first game) and Smash Wii U for having the Worst Single Player in the series

There's no mode that priotizes Platforming, so it's less Diverse. Modes like All Star, Multi-Man, and Classic Mode either took step backs or got controversial changes, WOL can't even be played with more than 1 Player, and Spirits are kind of interesting, but not enough to carry the whole game, especially since the Spirits you actually collect aren't as interesting in terms of abilities or Informative quality like Trophies

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I think a decloned Ganondorf would have resulted in more SSF2 players in both the short and long terms. There are a bunch of games with Falcondorf. One can play as decloned Ganondorf only via mods that aren't even legal in most Project M/Legacy/+ tournaments (except Ganondorf's float).
For me personally, playing a character in SSF2 feels distinct from the official games just due to the fact that I like playing Smash on a keyboard and using a keyboard works a lot better in SSF2 than it does in official Smash games on PC IMO.

It’s funny though, SSF2 Dorf is about as similar to Falcon as Luigi is to Mario if you compare their moves, yet you never really see anyone call Luigi a clone anymore despite the fact that Luigi is supposed to be similar to Mario.

Anyway, it would’ve been interesting to see how they would make a fully unique moveset, although they also likely wanted Dorf to fill that specific gameplay niche.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
By virtue of being a fighting game, it's already got years of replayability, I mean, look at Melee. That's still going strong 20 years in.
Plenty of fighting games fail to maintain significant player bases.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Despite the focus they were given, we only got five new Echo Fighters, and if they went through with Alucard as the Castlevania rep we'd only have four.
So many good candidates for them too.

Echo was probably a term created to silence those complaining that "Clones took up too many slots"
Which is weird because then they left off obvious clones like Dr. Mario and Pichu as not Echoes...

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It's weird. Despite the focus they were given, we only got five new Echo Fighters, and if they went through with Alucard as the Castlevania rep we'd only have four. It feels like they were just pasted in at the last minute.
Oh you mean like Luigi and Jigglypuff, all the clones in Melee, Wolf and Toon Link in Brawl, and Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit in 4? Yeah I think you might be on to something.

In all honesty Echoes are all just the extra time they had left after they got everyone else in just like any other Smash game. It’s just this time they had a name for them.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Look, I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but the only one moving the goalposts is you. Waluigi's outcry has been GREATLY overexagerated, given that it was only a thing in the West (Japan couldn't care less even if they tried). DLC Mii Costumes DO deconfirm, returning or not, because it makes zero sense for a DLC character to also get a DLC Mii Costume of themselves sold seperately. As for Paper Mario, like it or not, his only chance was as a shill pick for Origami King. That game got a Spirit Event, and so ends that.

I get it, you want to keep hope alive for those characters, but you gotta know when the war is over. It won't do you any good for your health.
Nothing about Waluigi's outcry has been exaggerated. He's been a character that has been almost entirely ignored and has gained a following over time, getting a rather big boost in the last five or so years, much of it due to meme culture and many people sticking with their love with the character past the memes.

Also, your claim to moving the goalposts isn't even accurate, as anyone who says 'X still deconfirms' after ever fan rule that breaks are the goalpost movers, not me. Don't make me fetch that giant PNG of all the fan rules that have been systematically broken since Ultimate began, cuz I will if I have to.

No, YOU are the one moving the goalpost. The ones saying too big, too irrelevant, rival company, spirits deconfirm, yada yada. Returning costumes deconfirm is just the latest push in a lazy, weak-minded struggle to solidify speculation to try and have something to grab onto. I'm merely out here saying 'Hey, there really aren't any deconfirmations until DLC is done, so you REALLY can't count anyone out with any grouping fan rule like spirits or costumes and should look at characters and the facts around them individually' and your response is 'Give up on the characters and accept the fan rule that is fundamentally flawed just like the rest' and I just can't do that.

For example, instead of saying 'Any character with a returning Mii Costume is deconfirmed' as a broad sweeping fan rule, instead it should be a case-by-case basis, such as 'Well another Megaman character isn't likely due to all of them featuring in Megaman's FS, the fact that the added Protoman and Bass to the FS, and Zero being an AT.'

Do you see how much more informed that is? This is something I've noticed with the Smash community since the beginning: broad sweeping statements that can never hold up. No 3rd Party, no MORE 3rd party, no rival companies, no irrelevant characters, no spirits and now it's no costumes despite that not making sense for each individual character.

The fact that you can't wrap your head around active DLC and development meaning that anything can still be on the table so long as it is negotiated for, be it a character who got a costumes already or a franchise that got it's own spirit event, is absurd. 'This thing happened, and because this thing happened, the future is completely set to be a certain way.' Fun fact: you don't know what the future holds, and you are going about trying to speculate it in way that keeps getting dismembered with each character release.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Maybe I didn't read properly when catching up but I'm surprised that when people argued if Strider didn't count as a video game character that Lucario must not count either as his movie got released over a year earlier than when Diamond and Pearl hit the shelves, the difference between release is even a few months longer than with Strider's manga and game

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Finally a reason to post this again

This is why they created the term. Because of all you dopes who would rather buy a "pre-owned vehicle" than a "used car". :p:p
Holy **** I felt like the only person awake when everyone was hyping up Echoes but ****ting on Clones like this isn't just a nicer way to say it.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
It's weird. Despite the focus they were given, we only got five new Echo Fighters, and if they went through with Alucard as the Castlevania rep we'd only have four. It feels like they were just pasted in at the last minute.
Bit of a shame, too. I would've loved to see Shadow as a :ultsonic: Echo and :ultalph: as an Olimar Echo. And I would've loved to see :ultdarksamus::ultdaisy::ultlucina::ultchrom::ultdarkpit: inherit some of the custom moves from :ultsamus::ultpeach::ultmarth::ultroy::ultpit:.

:ultdarksamus:
:GCB:: Dense Charge Shot
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Turbo Missile
:GCU::GCB:: Screw Rush

:ultdaisy:
:GCB:: Sleepy Toad
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Flower Bomber

:ultlucina:
:GCB:: Dashing Assault
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Heavy Blade
:GCU::GCB:: Dolphin Jump
:GCD::GCB:: Iai Counter

:ultchrom:
:GCL::GCR::GCB:: Unyielding Blade
:GCD::GCB:: Paralyzing Counter

:ultdarkpit:
:GCB:: Piercing Bow
:GCD::GCB:: Amplifying Orbitars

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Finally a reason to post this again

This is why they created the term. Because of all you dopes who would rather buy a "pre-owned vehicle" than a "used car". :p:p
Give it a shiny new name, and you can sell ice to a man in the Arctic.

I think what helped people latch onto the concept so hard was having an official name for clones. Gave 'em something to focus on, and somehow made them realize "wow, these guys are just extra padding on the roster instead of a fully-fledged character that takes up precious development time like I had so foolishly believed prior!"

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Rowlet.png

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW

I feel like a dingus for going this long without realizing it. I suppose that also explains why people are disappointed there aren't more Echoes, too; Now that they've been given an official brand they expect Sakurai to go all-in, but really it's just sneaking by low-effort clones at the last minute like normal. Guess nothing's changed; There's different attitudes regarding them, but we're still wishing Echoes were given the same attention as the "complete" fighters.

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Why we didn't get more clones" is honestly a weird complaint to me when the number of fully unique newcomers in the base game (:ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon:) was actually smaller than the clones (:ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultken::ultdaisy::ultisabelle:).

I feel like DLC made people forget just how little newcomers we got before it and how many of them borrowed moves from other fighters.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nothing about Waluigi's outcry has been exaggerated. He's been a character that has been almost entirely ignored and has gained a following over time, getting a rather big boost in the last five or so years, much of it due to meme culture and many people sticking with their love with the character past the memes.

Also, your claim to moving the goalposts isn't even accurate, as anyone who says 'X still deconfirms' after ever fan rule that breaks are the goalpost movers, not me. Don't make me fetch that giant PNG of all the fan rules that have been systematically broken since Ultimate began, cuz I will if I have to.

No, YOU are the one moving the goalpost. The ones saying too big, too irrelevant, rival company, spirits deconfirm, yada yada. Returning costumes deconfirm is just the latest push in a lazy, weak-minded struggle to solidify speculation to try and have something to grab onto. I'm merely out here saying 'Hey, there really aren't any deconfirmations until DLC is done, so you REALLY can't count anyone out with any grouping fan rule like spirits or costumes and should look at characters and the facts around them individually' and your response is 'Give up on the characters and accept the fan rule that is fundamentally flawed just like the rest' and I just can't do that.

For example, instead of saying 'Any character with a returning Mii Costume is deconfirmed' as a broad sweeping fan rule, instead it should be a case-by-case basis, such as 'Well another Megaman character isn't likely due to all of them featuring in Megaman's FS, the fact that the added Protoman and Bass to the FS, and Zero being an AT.'

Do you see how much more informed that is? This is something I've noticed with the Smash community since the beginning: broad sweeping statements that can never hold up. No 3rd Party, no MORE 3rd party, no rival companies, no irrelevant characters, no spirits and now it's no costumes despite that not making sense for each individual character.

The fact that you can't wrap your head around active DLC and development meaning that anything can still be on the table so long as it is negotiated for, be it a character who got a costumes already or a franchise that got it's own spirit event, is absurd. 'This thing happened, and because this thing happened, the future is completely set to be a certain way.' Fun fact: you don't know what the future holds, and you are going about trying to speculate it in way that keeps getting dismembered with each character release.

Technically, one can't demonstrably say that characters who are DLC costumes or spirits are 100% deconfirmed. That is true. But acting like it means nothing either is ultimately less sensible, when evidence and reason point strongly in the favour of the roles being basically mutually exclusive.

One is taking a substantiated conclusion and treating it empirically. Not technically correct, but logically understandable. The other is ignoring virtually the entirety of the landscape to remind people of a minute possibility within a minute possibility. It's basically the "so you're saying there's a chance" meme.

Give it a shiny new name, and you can sell ice to a man in the Arctic.

I think what helped people latch onto the concept so hard was having an official name for clones. Gave 'em something to focus on, and somehow made them realize "wow, these guys are just extra padding on the roster instead of a fully-fledged character that takes up precious development time like I had so foolishly believed prior!"

I guess it's better than complaining about them but jeez it makes people look dumb, lol.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Personally, All 5 of the New Echo Fighters we got were probably the 5 best choices they could have chosen, and honestly there isn't a Notable echo Absent (Maybe). The only problem with them was Implementation

Daisy, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and Ken were all either Very requested fighters, Very Important to their series, or Iconic characters. I think Daisy should have not be as Carbon Copy as she is, and Dark Samus could have used a few Phazon moves, but otherwise the implementation fits with how Sakurai saw them

Octoling, Mrs. PAC-MAN, Jeanne, with Maybe Ninten and Funky Kong are also potential options. Octoling might honestly go the Isabelle route with Splatoon 2 Weapons, Mrs. PAC-MAN has Rights issues (That may or may not have been sorted out), Ninten is very niche (and kind of Jeanne as well), and Funky Kong is Funky Kong

EDIT: Ninten also might not be done as echo anyway if they were added...

Shadow (or Any other Sonic character) and Dixie Kong probably wouldn't be Echoes. Theoretically they could, but they have enough merit on their own that compare to the Unique Newcomers added in, and in Shadow's Case, Sega would have to be down, and I don't think they would approve of an Echo Fighter in a fighting game.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Discussing the term echo fighter.

We've a actually cycled back to prerelease discussion.

"Why we didn't get more clones" is honestly a weird complaint to me when the number of fully unique newcomers in the base game (:ultincineroar::ultinkling::ultkrool::ultridley::ultsimon:) was actually smaller than the clones (:ultrichter::ultdarksamus::ultchrom::ultken::ultdaisy::ultisabelle:).

I feel like DLC made people forget just how little newcomers we got before it and how many of them borrowed moves from other fighters.
I think the relative ease of their development and sheer number people were speculating we could get or which characters could be echoes raised expectations quite a bit.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The worst thing about echoes and the sudden acceptance of them is that they're blatantly the worst clones in the franchise and the new echo moniker means they'll never be decloned, as shown with Pittoo and Lasoona. Makes you really miss Brawl's clones when two of the echoes are just glorified alt costumes.

The water is further muddied by Isabelle existing as the old type of clone and still somehow going under the radar,

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think the relative ease of their development and sheer number people were speculating we could get or which characters could be echoes raised expectations quite a bit.
Yeah, the key term here is "relative" ease. They still take time and effort. People jumped from "D.r Mario stole Ridley's slot" to "they can add six clones in a lunch break" real quick.

Quick research: does anyone here wants a Overwatch character in smash?
I don't mind one, especially if it's Winston or Tracer.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I recently returned to the Overwatch world and would welcome a character from it in Smash. That reminds me, someday I need to think of movesets for Sombra and Echo (both of whom would be a tad complex).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don't think 1 thread is necessarily a good enough pull for research, especially when I know for a fact that lots of people will say "She's competition for Crash!" Which as a result ends up influencing their opinion as a lot of people pretend they're ok with something as long as they get their favourites first. As for me, I don't want it, but I'm not opposed to it

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'd be fine with it, but there's some characters I'd prefer. I don't do very well in competitive games so I did not do well when I played it, and the story isn't being actively updated so I can't get engaged in that either. Overall it just didn't click with me as well as I hoped, and I mostly hopped on because my friend group was playing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom