• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I am frankly convinced we could get a pure spear or axe fighter and this fanbase would say "it's just a longer/wider sword!"
And that is despite the flock of people who supported Edelgard just because she used an axe.

Obviously, she had her legit fans, especially after 3H released, but let's not kid ourselves; part of her support base was the same kind of people who backed Decidueye because grass type or Twintelle because of her skin color

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This discussion is making me want to see characters with weapons like axes and lances, you know, different weapons we haven't seen in Smash.

Characters like this:

MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This discussion is making me want to see characters with weapons like axes and lances, you know, different weapons we haven't seen in Smash.

Characters like this:

MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD
:ultbyleth:: I mean, sure they have bigger ones but I have like three of those.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For what it's worth, the reason XC2 has an anime artstyle is because nobody liked the realistic artstyle of XC1 and XCX, so they decided to go with an artstyle that played into their strengths. Which just so happened to be anime. Maybe something similar can happen.
Honestly the art direction isn't a problem...Well, aside from the character portraits not being in the same art style, but it's kind of minor. The big issue is the quality of some of the character designs. Most of them are great, but Rex and Pyra tend to rub people the wrong way as far as I've seen, which are about the 2 worst characters to have a poor visual design.

There's also that a lot of the characters are pretty heavily sexualized, and some take it to really stupid levels. For example, Pyra's design points to her large boobs from the front and to her butt in the back, Brighid is basically naked in the front, Dhalia is literally naked and has baffling proportions, and Praxis has water balloon boobs (this one isn't so bad in execution but the concept is just...why?). Granted, these are the worst of the bunch, and a lot of blades are fine in this regard, or at least on par with what you'd normally see, it's just that some of the worst ones get a ton of screen time and Dhalia exists.

I'd show you Blades I do like the design of, but I probably wouldn't be able to find an image that would load here.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
We should face the reality and admit that the new Tourney Event means Adol is out of the running, because if he was going to be added they would have clearly waited until his release to drop this tourney. :(

For what it's worth, the reason XC2 has an anime artstyle is because nobody liked the realistic artstyle of XC1 and XCX, so they decided to go with an artstyle that played into their strengths. Which just so happened to be anime. Maybe something similar can happen.
True but I don't think having an anime artstyle is the problem at all. I mean... Pretty much any JRPG is anime-esque in some way, so anyone who jumps into Xenoblade should know what to expect.

But XC2 certainly could have better art direction for it's characters. Not saying it is bad, just that sometimes it feels like each character comes from a different universe or something. That feeling is specially there with the Blades, though I guess that's what happens when each Blade is designed by a different illustrator.

So in my opinion, the thing about XC2 isn't that the characters have poor designs but rather than sometimes the main characters, including antagonists, feel like a bit out of place when you see all of them together.

As I said in other occasions I think Pyra's design is cool besides the shorts, which are extremely short. Nia's design is cool. Rex, despite finding a lot of people disliking his design, I think would improve a lot with a few changes, because the idea and concept of his design is interesting, at least to me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I do seem to remember people on Twitter brushing off Byleth's other weapons on the basis that "They're used the same way swords are."

Then again, it's %$#@ing Twitter
Oh brother, I swear, the more reasons people try to find to dislike something, the dumber those reasons become.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I am frankly convinced we could get a pure spear or axe fighter and this fanbase would say "it's just a longer/wider sword!"
The funny thing about that is they could conceivably be swordsfighters despite not wielding swords.

Let's hope that the first Fire Emblem character to wield the axe or lance predominantly isn't like this. lol

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I do seem to remember people on Twitter brushing off Byleth's other weapons on the basis that "They're used the same way swords are."

Then again, it's %$#@ing Twitter
Twitter has less brain cells than Byleth.

And Byleth's only brain cell is called Sothis :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom