• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
A Sim has been one of my "Never Happening, but would be Amazing" Picks for the longest time and that is such a cool way to implement them.

I've been thinking about how they could work in some ways.
Neutral B: Something with the Plumbob
Side B: Carpool Picks them up and Drives them fast to the other side of the stage, acting like Warios Bike.
Up B: Abducted by Alien Tractor Beam before it loses strength and drops them.
Down B: Change Outfits (With Each Outfit having its own Ability.)
  • Everyday being the standard outfit
  • Formal makes them harder to launch
  • Athletic makes your attacks stronger
  • Sleepwear gives The Sim a Snooze Aura that makes anyone they get near fall asleep
  • Swimewear makes it so your Sim can last a bit longer in water before drowning
  • Naked/Pixelated occurs at random as a gag

Final Smash could be Summoning the Grim Reaper that would work 2 Ways.
  • If it Hits an Opponent, the Reaper Reaps them. (Not Instakill unless over 100% Maybe)
  • If it Misses an Opponent the Sim Pleads for their Life and the Reaper heals them.
Final Smash should be the opponents drowning in a swimming pool cause of no ladder.

Ivander

Smash Legend
We literally just got a Meteor associated character smh this is like adding a 'distance demon' and then adding a character who can edgeguard from centerstage right afterwards
:confused:

I don't know what this is referring about as the post I replied to specifically mentioned Final Smash and therefore I thought I was also talking about Final Smashes and therefore it'd be a cinematic meaning the meteor wouldn't be appearing until the cinematic starts and......huh?

Seriously, I was trying to reference the greatest Sim 3 patch notes and I get talk about balance and distance demons and whatnot?

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Y'know, I'm curious... with Sephiroth's inclusion bringing a berth of Final Fantasy content (thus shifting it from one of the least represented franchises to one of the most), how likely do you lot think he, Cloud, and all their stages and tracks are to return in future games?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
:confused:

I don't know what this is referring about as the post I replied to specifically mentioned Final Smash and therefore I thought I was also talking about Final Smashes and therefore it'd be a cinematic meaning the meteor wouldn't be appearing until the cinematic starts and......huh?

Seriously, I was trying to reference the greatest Sim 3 patch notes and I get talk about balance and distance demons and whatnot?
Man I was ****posting about the whole FFVII meteor thing, the distance demon joke was playing off of that, now I feel like a dunce for not making it extra obvious I was ****posting lmao

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know, I'm curious... with Sephiroth's inclusion bringing a berth of Final Fantasy content (thus shifting it from one of the least represented franchises to one of the most), how likely do you lot think he, Cloud, and all their stages and tracks are to return in future games?
Pretty likely. Cloud being base and Sephiroth being veteran DLC ala Lucas/Mewtwo/Roy in Smash 4.
After all they're pretty popular and "bring the hype" so to speak.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The thing is, is that we're not nearly removed enough from the current situation which has allowed all these inclusions to make fair assessments about the next title. At this point, none of the characters included this time seem like they wouldn't be able to make it back.

But maybe the relationship cools between Nintendo and Microsoft? Maybe Konami's ****ery increases. Maybe some company less willing to play ball scoops up one of the third-parties, like SNK or Sega. Maybe Sakurai departs and negotiations without him become more difficult. Maybe starting from scratch means more of the budget has to be allocated to building the game, and less can be allocated to acquiring costly characters like those from SE. And then of course there is just the shifting scale of priority, and some third-parties just might not make the cut, especially if the roster gets rebooted.

On the spectrum of third-party "safety", the Square characters seem like they're towards the unlikelier end to return, just because they seem like they were among the harder to add. But there is currently no big red flag that suggests they won't. Because such a preliminary theory can't be anything but abstract.

But even if the characters return, I don't think all the accompanying content will. Ultimate has been about amalgamating the series up to this point, but I think the future titles will be more standard in cycling out some existing series content for new series content.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
What series did you get into due to Smash? I played Earthbound when it came to the Wii U after hearing good things and from Smash, I knew basically nothing about Terry or SNK and learnt quite a bit from his inclusion, and lastly Hero getting in got me to play Dragon Quest XI which would be in my top 10 RPGs ever.

I don't know whether FE counts, because I got into it after Melee released, but only because a friend knew I liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and said FE was similar (and I ended up getting Sacred Stones which has no Smash content outside of 1 song and some spirits). The GBA was surprisingly good time for RPGS and tactical turn based games.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
What series did you get into due to Smash? I played Earthbound when it came to the Wii U after hearing good things and from Smash, I knew basically nothing about Terry or SNK and learnt quite a bit from his inclusion, and lastly Hero getting in got me to play Dragon Quest XI which would be in my top 10 RPGs ever.

I don't know whether FE counts, because I got into it after Melee released, but only because a friend knew I liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and said FE was similar (and I ended up getting Sacred Stones which has no Smash content outside of 1 song and some spirits). The GBA was surprisingly good time for RPGS and tactical turn based games.
Let's get counting!
  • Earthbound
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Mega Man
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Kid Icarus Uprising
  • Ice Climber
  • Punch-Out
Huh. Not really all that much on my end.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
We literally just got a Meteor associated character
Can't have two meteor-related characters in a row! You'll start Meteor Theory!

Literally none. The handful of Smash series I'm not into(Fire Emblem, G&W, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Persona), I still haven't gotten into.

Edit: No wait, I played through the Xenoblade remake after Shulk was added. Though...I wasn't particularly impressed. So I'm not sure I'd say I got "into" it.

Last edited:

Nartic

Smash Cadet

Byleth isn't my main, but it was a pack worth it for me because it introduced a good game.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
Can't have two meteor-related characters in a row! You'll start Meteor Theory!

Literally none. The handful of Smash series I'm not into(Fire Emblem, G&W, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wii Fit, Persona), I still haven't gotten into.

Edit: No wait, I played through the Xenoblade remake after Shulk was added. Though...I wasn't particularly impressed. So I'm not sure I'd say I got "into" it.
Same here. There is multiple handfuls of franchises I’m not interested in (Zelda, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pikmin), yet the only reason I got into Xenoblade was because I saw cool art of Rex.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
The beauty of Smash and its character is that no matter how niche or underground the series the characters are coming from at least you are aware that they exist and often times blew up in popularity, I mean nobody give a **** about Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, excluding people who may heard or participated in Operation Rainfall as, if that campaign didn't exist, Xenoblade Chronicles and its subsequent sequel will forever be a Japan only because of Reggie's nitpick and because the game came out late in the Wii's lifespan and now look how far the series went. I bet that the majority of the popularity and fans from the series stem from his announcement in Smash.

Smash is basically a one big game advertisement.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The beauty of Smash and its character is that no matter how niche or underground the series the characters are coming from at least you are aware that they exist and often times blew up in popularity, I mean nobody give a **** about Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii, excluding people who may heard or participated in Operation Rainfall as, if that campaign didn't exist, Xenoblade Chronicles and its subsequent sequel will forever be a Japan only because of Reggie's nitpick and because the game came out late in the Wii's lifespan and now look how far the series went. I bet that the majority of the popularity and fans from the series stem from his announcement in Smash.

Smash is basically a one big game advertisement.
It doesn't always work out though. Certain series got a chance to shine in Smash but still remain dead.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
It doesn't always work out though. Certain series got a chance to shine in Smash but still remain dead.
I mean that always happened sometime with Assist Trophy and Trophies/Spirit. Still I said that Smash gave the series a recognition and sometimes a popularity boost. I'm not saying that Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. became a worldwide hit with only 1 song and 1 spirit in Smash.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
As far as advertisements go, I do wish Astral Chain was one of them. Perhaps in the future when it has cemented itself as a franchise ir'll get a fair shot at making it in.
Ring Fit probably has a good shot as well probably even being the first character announced along with the announcement of the new Smash game like Villager and Inkling.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As far as advertisements go, I do wish Astral Chain was one of them. Perhaps in the future when it has cemented itself as a franchise ir'll get a fair shot at making it in.
Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself, but considering Astral Chain 2 seems quite likely and at this point having two successful, recent-ish (by the time of the next Smash) games should be enough for a first-party, I'd say it's probably in the cards. Which is nice. Always happy when new Nintendo IP get included, and if they can bring shiny neony cyberpunk with em, even better.

And really, isn't a character that gets in due to merit better than getting in because advertising? I think it is.

Ring Fit probably has a good shot as well probably even being the first character announced along with the announcement of the new Smash game like Villager and Inkling.
People have contested this, which I get, in part because the term is applied too liberally, but I think RFT is a lock for next game. That game is too successful to just drift away going forward.

Also, to the person who snarked at me when I said RFA would get to five million units, know that it's definitely past six now, surpassing the first Splatoon, and will only keep going. :p:p:p

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That makes it the exact opposite of an Echo fighter, which is different model, same moves.
Still not nearly as ambitious as you made it sound, since stances wouldn't be like "making a whole new character" since most of the setup needed to animate moves is already done.

If anything, that sounds like the level of ambition they might actually do, considering they
  • animated two separate models for a single character slot (Joker and Arsene)
  • gave 30 specials to another which, granted, use similar animations but they still coded 30 different specials (Hero)
  • made a character that required every single stage including the single-player ones being reworked so pressing B worked (Steve)
  • took the time to animate a whole new Final Smash for a base game character to coincide with one of the DLCs (Cloud and Sephiroth), which they absolutely didn't need to do, they just did it because they care that much about the right kind of fanservice
A stance character almost looks tame in comparison, especially when compared to Joker and Steve.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
People have contested this, which I get, in part because the term is applied too liberally, but I think RFT is a lock for next game.
There are no shoo-ins. For all we know, we could only get like two first-party newcomers for the next game.

Last edited:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
This is true I remember the Ghostly Adventures hate, but the argument of 'not a big deal to video games' was probably the worst angle they could have gone for.
"He's not iconic enough" and "He has almost no association with Nintendo" was the lowest point of not just that debate, but anything I've seen related to Smash speculation. Those were dark times.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I’ve seen a much worse Pac-Man related statement that “Pac-Man is not iconic”.
Can't even imagine hearing something worse. I think what makes the ones I mentioned really bad (at least to me) is that it was parroted in many different sites and not just this one. To think that so many people legitimately used that as an argument is almost unreal.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I’ve seen a much worse Pac-Man related statement that “Pac-Man is not iconic”.
I'm genuinely curious if this is the same statement as what Gwen put now.

Pac-Man not being a big enough video game icon is by far the most nutty thing I've seen on Smashboards when arguing against a character, so I'm down for that being dethroned by something more insane.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We literally just got a Meteor associated character smh this is like adding a 'distance demon' and then adding a character who can edgeguard from centerstage right afterwards
...The Belmonts and K. Rool?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah yeah, "The Pacman amiibo's a shelfwarmer because he's iconic but not popular, like Hitler", I remember that too
Oh gee it’s time to bust out this quote again:
The department of Homeland Security has issued a nationwide Bruh Moment Warning. Everyone stay indoors lest you be exposed to near-fatal amounts of bruh.
Seriously tho why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom