• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Seeing the words "Sol Badguy", "Leak" and "Real" on the same page in the same thread gave me the biggest heart attack imaginable, my god so many different emotions raced through my head...

Don't ever do this to me again, I might die the next time
Next time the leak will be a Sol Badguy horrendous Mii Costume.

I’m not too sure on Dante, but I can’t see another Platformer (Crash/Rayman) alongside Eggman, or another Fighting Rep (Chun Li) with Min Min already in. It seems a Rep like Dante would see some more variety.
Huh, I don't really know. I wouldn't consider Min Min a fighting rep. I mean... ARMS is a fighting game, but at the same time, it's not the kind of fighting game people will think first when you're talking about the genre.

But more importantly, I wouldn't consider her a fighting rep, at least to the general public. Technically she is, of course, but I don't think Chun-Li or any other FGC character is out or would feel redundant just because Min Min is in the pass. ARMS hardly appeals to the FGC fans. Not saying this because I think ARMS sucks or Min Min isn't cool enough, in fact I think she was a neat addition and I believe ARMS is a cool game with potential to improve in a future sequel.

An ARMS character is like the most random choice they could pick if they wanted to appeal FGC fans. So, if we assume Pass 2 will have a FGC character, I think we can agree Min Min isn't the one at all, and I don't think Nintendo would be that dumb to really believe Min Min/ARMS caters to those players.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Huh, I don't really know. I wouldn't consider Min Min a fighting rep. I mean... ARMS is a fighting game, but at the same time, it's not the kind of fighting game people will think first when you're talking about the genre.

But more importantly, I wouldn't consider her a fighting rep, at least to the general public. Technically she is, of course, but I don't think Chun-Li or any other FGC character is out or would feel redundant just because Min Min is in the pass. ARMS hardly appeals to the FGC fans. Not saying this because I think ARMS sucks or Min Min isn't cool enough, in fact I think she was a neat addition and I believe ARMS is a cool game with potential to improve in a future sequel.

An ARMS character is like the most random choice they could pick if they wanted to appeal FGC fans. So, if we assume Pass 2 will have a FGC character, I think we can agree Min Min isn't the one at all, and I don't think Nintendo would be that dumb to really believe Min Min/ARMS caters to those players.
I guess to sum this up, Min Min is indeed a fighting game character, but since ARMS is an arena fighter, it has nothing to do with, is very different from, and appeals to a different audience than a traditional or 3D fighting game character. The same would apply to a Rivals of Aether or Brawlhalla character because platform fighters are also separate from the FGC, and the subgenre changes the game drastically.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I’m not too sure on Dante, but I can’t see another Platformer (Crash/Rayman) alongside Eggman, or another Fighting Rep (Chun Li) with Min Min already in. It seems a Rep like Dante would see some more variety.
I mean we do have two JRPG characters in the first pass.:ulthero::ultbyleth:Why couldn't there be two fighting game characters in the same one?

There exactly isn't any pattern.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I mean we do have two JRPG characters in the first pass.:ulthero::ultbyleth:Why couldn't there be two fighting game characters in the same one?

First, we have 3 JRPG characters in the first pass (:ultjoker:)

And yes there is no pattern, it's all about "hey wouldn't this character have a fun moveset/improve corporate relations?" instead of "ok we must rep each and every genre of games"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

All the more reason why genre is not really all that significant when it comes to overlap. Some people might be lamenting that half the DLC is RPG characters, but the characters themselves are very different.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

All the more reason why genre is not really all that significant when it comes to overlap. Some people might be lamenting that half the DLC is RPG characters, but the characters themselves are very different.
Yeah, especially considering that Persona, Dragon Quest, and Fire Emblem have completely different gameplay mechanics. Besides, Smash 4 had 5/7 DLC characters hail from JRPGs.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Funny how whenever I look at Nightmare movesets for Smash, stances are rarely a part of those movesets despite stances being a huge thing in Soulcalibur. Only pizzadudemanguy got it from what I've seen.

Even in his simplest and smallest movesets, Nightmare had at least one stance.
Probably because the amount of work required to animate an additional stance(which is, for all intents and purposes, a completely new moveset) is pretty much another whole character that could have been added to the game instead.

Personally, the first character that came to my mind was... Cinderace, but for reasons we've already spent days debating over I doubt we're getting them. There are, of course, many characters this codename could allude to, including the other one that I immediately thought of, Sol Badguy.
Oh he's in!

1611002411236.png

Clearly Charizard as a solo character is coming back.
I've been saying solo Charizard should be a Trainer Echo.

Okay but real talk; while I don’t mind Squirtle or Ivysaur, I kinda wish Charizard was solo in Brawl onwards.
If they really wanted to keep "Everyone Is Here!" they shoulda just split them into 3 separate characters. They already gave them separate numbers.

Well in straw clutching news, look who shows up along with Nintendo's greats in this new sizzle reel.
Toadette?

cothero

Smash Lord
Yo so no clue how much people are still paying attention to the supposed voice theory and/or placeholder slots, but they don't seem to mean much of anything. I started poking around in the WoL param files to see if it was possible to add fights for the DLC characters, and in the process, I've discovered a few things about placeholder data.
  • Voice Theory has absolutely no legs to stand on outside of a perfect square which is ultimately meaningless. The parameter file for the sound test (ui_voice_db.prc) has no placeholder entries in it. The entries for DLC characters are simply added to the end of the album list. The final two entries in the list are Sephiroth and Advent Cloud.

• Within the World of Light movement params (used for map movement), there exist 10 unoccupied entries. These entries start from dummy_07 and go to dummy_16. There are a few irregularities with the dummy slots. The first dummy string is dummy_02, and counting backwards from dummy_07 puts dummy_02 at Terry, leaving four slots (Plant, Joker, Hero, and Banjo) unaccounted for. The Cutting Room Floor has a bit more information that helps explain this discrepancy. I unfortunately only have the current patch to work from:

A whopping 30 placeholder character slots existed in the files of the character selection screen at launch before being removed in the v2.0.0 update. There are also a slightly smaller 16 placeholder character slots in the files for the World of Light and in the attack_log_parameter.prc file, Piranha Plant and Joker from Persona 5 replaced the two placeholder slots from the World of Light and the attack_log_parameter.prc file, the Hero from Dragon Quest XI and Banjo and Kazooie did not replace of any of the placeholder slots in the World of Light, two more placeholder slots were removed in v6.0.0, Byleth from Fire Emblem: Three Houses did not take any of the placeholder slots in v7.0.0, and one slot was replaced by Min Min in v8.0.0 and Steve replaced another slot in v9.0.0, it is unknown if this applies to the rest of the DLC fighters or not.

The important bits here are Plant, Joker, Min Min, and Steve replaced slots, while Hero, Banjo, and Byleth did not. If this article is accurate, then there is one dummy string (dummy_01) unaccounted for, and slots can be arbitrarily removed or added at any time.

tl;dr version, any theory that involves unused entries in game data is faulty, especially if the data never existed in the first place (voice theory)

also real leak
Has this been verified by data miners yet? Is this official?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't know why people are questioning the lack of Super Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 in the ad. It very clearly means that:
  1. They're trying to take eyes off of Super Mario Odyssey so they can surprise us with Super Mario Odyssey 2.
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 got Wahoominati'd
That would be the worst timeline. That game was too soulful to be swept under the rug.

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
I don't really believe the leak that much anymore. I just wanted to brainstorm a possible reason it could have been real or something
Are you still confidant about the leak with Shadow, Scorpion, and Elma?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't know why people are questioning the lack of Super Mario Odyssey and Luigi's Mansion 3 in the ad. It very clearly means that:
  1. They're trying to take eyes off of Super Mario Odyssey so they can surprise us with Super Mario Odyssey 2.
  2. Luigi's Mansion 3 got Wahoominati'd
Did LM3 do anything to warrant getting Wahoo’d?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Probably because the amount of work required to animate an additional stance(which is, for all intents and purposes, a completely new moveset) is pretty much another whole character that could have been added to the game instead.
Some fighting game stances are like that.
Others are just temporary ways they stand before having the option into going into some other moves, like Joker Gun.
Accourding to PDMG, Nightmare in particular has had less of an emphasis on said stances going forward into the series compared to Siegfried so if they wanted to they wouldn't even have to make him that focused on the stance gimmick.
PDMG's moveset video in question places a large emphasis on the stance, but even then they only affect his normals (jab, ftilt, dtilt, utilt, dash attack).

So yeah they could do it if they wanted. His stances aren't like say, Gen from SF4.

I will say though it's funny you mention the workload in animating stances when Joker's Arsene is a completely new model that animates for every single non-throw move in Joker's moveset.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Why is Rex usually associated with Pyra in smash wishlists? I don't know **** about XC2, so i presume they work as one character in the game?
XC2 combat relies on the Driver (Rex) and the Blade (Pyra) supporting each other in combat. The Driver takes the Blade's weapon and fights with it while the Blade stays behind and supports the Driver, occasionally popping in to do special attacks together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom