• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
legitimately surprised that Nintendo, who owns a 3rd of the most profitable franchise in the world, wants to keep that franchise centered on the consoles that they make...?
I think Pokémon, if they wanted to, would go Third Party. I’m just surprised that the other 2/3rds haven’t said that already. Maybe Nintendo has more power than the other two I honestly don’t know.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Pokémon is only a Third owned by Nintendo and I’m legitimately surprised we have yet to get a Pokémon Game on PlayStation, Xbox, or PC.
I believe it’s because Nintendo helped with The Pokémon Company as it’s a joint thing between them, Game Freak, and Creatures Inc. Nintendo also owns the trademarks to every Pokémon’s name, so it’s closer to Nintendo than the usual third-parties (so it’s basically somewhere between first- and third-party).

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pokémon is only a Third owned by Nintendo and I’m legitimately surprised we have yet to get a Pokémon Game on PlayStation, Xbox, or PC.
Nintendo fully owns the Pokemon name and the names of every character within. I believe Game Freak owns the designs, and, I'd guess the code as well. I don't know what specifically Creatures owns.

You can't very well take a franchise stripped of its foundation to any system. Even if Game Freak tried to make something with just the parts they owned, I suspect Nintendo would tie them up in litigation. Any Pokemon product that wants a chance at existing needs all parties on board.

The ownership of the Pokemon IP is slightly more complicated but still in the same basic vein as every property Nintendo co-owns. It requires all the relevant parties' cooperation to exist.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
well who would they do? Toad is pretty much the only viable option and I just don't see him happening as dlc (as much as I want it to)

waluigi is deconfirmed
geno is deconfirmed
paper mario is pretty much deconfirmed due to a spirit event

I guess King Boo but if they are going to promote lm3 this is a wierd time to do so (then again they promoted arms so I guess it's not out of the question)

and I don't see them doing another generic like goomba or boom boom
Let me stress this...IN YOUR OPINION, these characters are deconfirmed. No one is every truly deconfirmed until Ultimate is done and they aren't in, so this is simply your own mindset.

In reality, Spring Man was heavily considered as the playable character for ARMS by Sakurai before ending on Min Min due to her popularity and the creator's request. Never forget that Spring Man is already a Spirit, Costume and AT from the base game. This means that ATs are not an automatic denial of a characters chances, which means Waluigi could flat out just happen due to fan backlash and demand. The real issue for Waluigi is what other content he could come with. Waluigi already has music tied to him in the base game as well as Mario Sports content in stages and music already in the base game, so what would they be able to bring to the table for him? I'm sure they could think of something, but this is clearly the real hurdle for Waluigi: what content does he bring?

I've been over this way too much in recent days, but returning Mii Costumes don't deconfirm either. Saying a Mii Costume 100% deconfirms a character is simply moving the Spirits Deconfirm goalpost: it's literally the same argument, but for slightly different content. Deluxe Costumes are the only ones to really fret about, and even they aren't fully written off, because as long as the DLC goes on things can change. Thereby Geno isn't deconfirmed and is an extremely viable option for a Mario character.

Paper Mario isn't truly deconfirmed either, and he is a very good choice as well. In addition to you mentioning King Boo, we've got Fawful, Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad, Wart and the possibility of what you mentioned with another generic Mario enemy. Funnily enough, the list of fan requested Mario characters is very small, but the list to pick from is larger than it probably should be.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Let me stress this...IN YOUR OPINION, these characters are deconfirmed. No one is every truly deconfirmed until Ultimate is done and they aren't in, so this is simply your own mindset.

In reality, Spring Man was heavily considered as the playable character for ARMS by Sakurai before ending on Min Min due to her popularity and the creator's request. Never forget that Spring Man is already a Spirit, Costume and AT from the base game. This means that ATs are not an automatic denial of a characters chances, which means Waluigi could flat out just happen due to fan backlash and demand. The real issue for Waluigi is what other content he could come with. Waluigi already has music tied to him in the base game as well as Mario Sports content in stages and music already in the base game, so what would they be able to bring to the table for him? I'm sure they could think of something, but this is clearly the real hurdle for Waluigi: what content does he bring?

I've been over this way too much in recent days, but returning Mii Costumes don't deconfirm either. Saying a Mii Costume 100% deconfirms a character is simply moving the Spirits Deconfirm goalpost: it's literally the same argument, but for slightly different content. Deluxe Costumes are the only ones to really fret about, and even they aren't fully written off, because as long as the DLC goes on things can change. Thereby Geno isn't deconfirmed and is an extremely viable option for a Mario character.

Paper Mario isn't truly deconfirmed either, and he is a very good choice as well. In addition to you mentioning King Boo, we've got Fawful, Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad, Wart and the possibility of what you mentioned with another generic Mario enemy. Funnily enough, the list of fan requested Mario characters is very small, but the list to pick from is larger than it probably should be.
Spring Man wasn't the alternate choice. Ninjara was.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Assists are still yet to be determined whether or not they Confirm/Deconfirm but DLC Mii Costumes and Spirit Events are another story for those 2... Why would they add content directly related to the character, When they are coming later in the pass?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Look, I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but the only one moving the goalposts is you. Waluigi's outcry has been GREATLY overexagerated, given that it was only a thing in the West (Japan couldn't care less even if they tried). DLC Mii Costumes DO deconfirm, returning or not, because it makes zero sense for a DLC character to also get a DLC Mii Costume of themselves sold seperately. As for Paper Mario, like it or not, his only chance was as a shill pick for Origami King. That game got a Spirit Event, and so ends that.

I get it, you want to keep hope alive for those characters, but you gotta know when the war is over. It won't do you any good for your health.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Nintendo fully owns the Pokemon name and the names of every character within. I believe Game Freak owns the designs, and, I'd guess the code as well. I don't know what specifically Creatures owns.

You can't very well take a franchise stripped of its foundation to any system. Even if Game Freak tried to make something with just the parts they owned, I suspect Nintendo would tie them up in litigation. Any Pokemon product that wants a chance at existing needs all parties on board.

The ownership of the Pokemon IP is slightly more complicated but still in the same basic vein as every property Nintendo co-owns. It requires all the relevant parties' cooperation to exist.
If Nintendo was the only party with Pokemon Ownership, then why does Pokemon always do stuff separately from everything else when it comes to Pokemon Announcements in Directs.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think Waluigi could still happen; he's the only Mario character I think has a realistic chance at this point, unless they wanna add King Boo or change their minds on Toad.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I’m not 100% sure Nintendo only owns a third of Pokémon. I think they have the majority at 32% and then the remaining is split between those two and other shareholders.

Out of speculation I would say Creatures owns 20ish and Game Freak owns 20ish.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there are several questions I got to ask

-Is M Theory still in play, towards suggesting a M rated character, or do you think they removed the logos for consistency sake with FP1?

-Is Doujin Leak dead?

-In your opinion, were Steve and Sephiroth the "One or Two Characters" that Sakurai was alluding to when he first contemplated Extra fighters after FP1?

-If FP2 did not happen, would the FP2 characters have been saved for Smash 6?

-Are some of the rumors actually for Smash 6 or FP3, rather than FP2?

-Will Smash ever hit 100 Characters?

-How long do you think Negotiations for 3rd parties usually take?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Not a surprising story at all but I just share it.
Zackray in his stream talked about when he had a chat with Nintendo people at E3.
He said that they are very afraid of any types of leaks or rumors that actually predict real upcoming characters. Even if those are obvious fakes, the fact them gather people's attention towards the characters they are planning makes a huge fuss inside.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So there are several questions I got to ask

-Is M Theory still in play, towards suggesting a M rated character, or do you think they removed the logos for consistency sake with FP1?

-Is Doujin Leak dead?

-In your opinion, were Steve and Sephiroth the "One or Two Characters" that Sakurai was alluding to when he first contemplated Extra fighters after FP1?

-If FP2 did not happen, would the FP2 characters have been saved for Smash 6?

-Are some of the rumors actually for Smash 6 or FP3, rather than FP2?

-Will Smash ever hit 100 Characters?

-How long do you think Negotiations for 3rd parties usually take?
1.) No idea.
2.) Never heard of it.
3.) Possibly.
4.) I would say, yes, it’s likely.
5.) There aren’t any rumors of either AFAIK.
6.) *shrugs
7.) Good question, but it probably depends on the company.

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Nintendo was the only party with Pokemon Ownership, then why does Pokemon always do stuff separately from everything else when it comes to Pokemon Announcements in Directs.
...nowhere in my post does it say Nintendo is the sole owner of Pokemon. In fact I said GF owns the designs and probably the code. Nintendo fully owns the rights to the name "Pokemon", though, among other aspects.

As to your question, clearly Pokemon operates with more autonomy than other series co-owned between Nintendo and another party, but it hardly has complete autonomy. Nintendo probably delegates to The Pokemon Company on a lot of decisions, but Nintendo also co-owns TPC. The ownership of properties is likely a case-by-case basis, but the broad strokes remain the same, being that Nintendo owns part of the IP, thus making it a first-party, and which will only be seen on platforms Nintendo deems acceptable.

Nintendo doesn't view mobile and PC as competitors as direct as Sony and Microsoft, which is why you see some Pokemon content there. But you're never going to see a mainline game there.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here’s a thought. What if we do get a promotional first party pick, but rather than being from a new/recently released/upcoming game, it’s a character from a rerelease/remake. What franchise(s) would you like to see this happen with, and who are some characters that fit this criteria that people would like to see? Could be a new or existing franchise in Smash.
Team Rocket from Pokémon Let’s Go... it’s a remake!

122BFBC5-DE8C-4892-9BEB-4A3AFF77855B.jpeg

Meowth teamed with Jessie’s Ekans and James’s Koffing... oh, that would be fun!

SharkLord

Smash Hero
-Is Doujin Leak dead?
Possibly? The guy who leaked hasn't been active for a while, so who knows. Steve proves that some characters were negotiated for in advance, but that obviously doesn't confirm every major rumor. The rumor apparently started up as far back as 2018, and according to the records of every notable thing that could potentially lead to Reimu, the rumors actually started before the doujin leaker themselves can into play. Said records are here:
Doujin Leak Updated - Google Slides
It should be noted that the list is somewhat outdated; Most notably listing CP8 as "Probably January or February at the earliest" when we got Sephiroth last month.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
"Brand Power"

Pokemon is such a massive and powerhouse franchise that it's wide appeal and reach goes far beyond just "Core" Nintendo gamers and fans, There's a reason it's "The biggest media franchise in the world".

With the amount of content Pokemon regularly gets in terms of not just mainline games, But with remakes, spinoffs, mobile etc, It probably just makes it a lot easier for Nintendo/TPC to have the franchise have it's own dedicated direct to cover all it's bases in the game and media front to help maintain that brand power.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Not a surprising story at all but I just share it.
Zackray in his stream talked about when he had a chat with Nintendo people at E3.
He said that they are very afraid of any types of leaks or rumors that actually predict real upcoming characters. Even if those are obvious fakes, the fact them gather people's attention towards the characters they are planning makes a huge fuss inside.
I find that kind of surprising. I would have thought that they'd be relieved by all the fake leaks thrown around, since it makes it hard to tell what's real and what's not.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
An awful lot has been made of this Reimu leak when the crux is just that ZUN would like to have content in Smash and there is unsubstantiated talk of remixing music for Smash. Which, btw, not only is hearsay, but at this point doesn't exactly match up to the remix -> reveal/release timeframe described by Grant Kirkhope. It's pretty unremarkable "evidence" to have kept it going so long.

And before people falsely invoke Steve's five year path - that was not development. That was discussion beginning. And it's not new. The talks for the first third-party we ever got in Smash began seven or eight years before we actually got to play as them. As it was for the second.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So this was posted in the KOS-MOS thread and reposted in the Reimu thread
In this regard, I’m actually kinda thinking that we’ll get our next fighter release in February for one specific reason: 7-11 ads in Japan. In the past, we’ve had multiple cases where presentations/announcements have happened before an ad with Smash on it was taken down (An ad for Hero said it would be taken down by August 4th, he released July 31st; Same with Banjo: ad taken down September 15th, character released September 4th. And recently Steve, with an ad taken down by October 4th, live reveal announced September 30th, character formally revealed the next day). This newest 7-11 ad that came out is said to have a takedown date of January 24th. While January is much too early to release a fighter what with us just getting Sephiroth, I don’t believe it’s too early for a reveal, which I believe we’ll get before this new ad is taken down.
Thought I'd use this as an excuse to get a quick rundown on the 7-11 theory because it has been a while. I don't know if I'm being forgetful or if it's just been that long, because I don't remember a single thing about it.
EDIT: Also the guy did the math, which is good because my brain is in no condition to do the math itself
Exactly! Ran the numbers, with Terry being revealed on the same day as Banjo released, that makes it 35 days from Hero's release to that day. And if we do get a reveal at this point, that would be 38 days or less going with Sephiroth's technical release of December 17th for the Sephiroth Challenge. 33 days if we go with his official release. So close to around the 35-day timeframe between Hero's release and Terry's reveal.
He has a bit of a point, though I'm still a bit hesitant on another reveal so soon.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's also something else I'm wondering

Considering Cloud did get an updated Final Smash, which required a New Voice clip and also New Animation, and that's no joke since there was some work that went into that, Animating and modling each Sword and such. is it possible that perhaps other characters could get the same thing, perhaps something more substantial

For Example, Terry added the ability to do Super Attacks with input motions, which is something you can do in Street Fighter, but Ryu and Ken weren't added with the option. Perhaps if we get another Fighting game character we could have Ryu and Ken get something where they are able to do Super Attacks or EX Moves.

And perhaps Sonic could also get updates to his Moveset if we got Another Sonic character of some kind

So this was posted in the KOS-MOS thread and reposted in the Reimu thread

Thought I'd use this as an excuse to get a quick rundown on the 7-11 theory because it has been a while. I don't know if I'm being forgetful or if it's just been that long, because I don't remember a single thing about it.
Weren't there times where the 7-11 Ad either had no Smash info on it, or if it did it was just repeat info?

I'll go look into it in the past though, just to see

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There's also something else I'm wondering

Considering Cloud did get an updated Final Smash, which required a New Voice clip and also New Animation, and that's no joke since there was some work that went into that, Animating and modling each Sword and such. is it possible that perhaps other characters could get the same thing, perhaps something more substantial

For Example, Terry added the ability to do Super Attacks with input motions, which is something you can do in Street Fighter, but Ryu and Ken weren't added with the option. Perhaps if we get another Fighting game character we could have Ryu and Ken get something where they are able to do Super Attacks or EX Moves.

And perhaps Sonic could also get updates to his Moveset if we got Another Sonic character of some kind
I don't expect anything that big yet, considering that Cloud's update was 99% cosmetic, with the 1% being only slight changes to bystanders since the hitboxes are different and there are less hits (though the total damage and knockback of the final hit are unchanged for the one trapped in it)

There's also the fact that, well, Ryu and Ken's most iconic supers are already their Final Smashes, so it'd be strange not to see those be Terry-like supers, but also redundant to see them as such.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't expect anything that big yet, considering that Cloud's update was 99% cosmetic, with the 1% being only slight changes to bystanders since the hitboxes are different and there are less hits (though the total damage and knockback of the final hit are unchanged for the one trapped in it)

There's also the fact that, well, Ryu and Ken's most iconic supers are already their Final Smashes, so it'd be strange not to see those be Terry-like supers, but also redundant to see them as such.
Perhaps they could add other Supers Ryu and Ken had, or if they add their Final Smashes as Super Moves, they will replace them with more powerful versions

Though to be honest, you are right that Cloud's New Final Smash is mostly comestic. I think it was a fun idea but I honestly don't expect that big of a change to Ryu and Ken. I don't even expect Sonic to get a new move if we got another Sonic character, but I do hope he at least gets some more expression and new lines and stuff like that

----------------------------------------------

Also Something I was wondering, Sakurai didn't reveal what Date he recorded the Sakurai presentation to my knowledge. I don't remember, but I don't remember anything about him saying what date he recorded, which if true would be a first

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Perhaps they could add other Supers Ryu and Ken had, or if they add their Final Smashes as Super Moves, they will replace them with more powerful versions
I really don't think they need that.

How would it be done anyway?

I myself got some ideas (and none of them are balanced :V), I'm just curious on how you think completely changing how a character works can be done.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I really don't think they need that.

How would it be done anyway?

I myself got some ideas, I'm just curious on how you think completely changing how a character works can be done.
Well it be easy (okay maybe not easy, but somewhat simple)

-Ryu and Ken get a Super Meter that has 4 Bars
-Doing the Input Specials using the Special Button (not the Attack Button) will instead do the EX Version of that move, with the EX Version being a better overall version of even the Input Specials
-If you have all 4 Bars, you can do a Super Move. If you don't want to overlap with the Final Smashes, Ryu would get Denjin Hadoken, and Ken would get Shoryupa

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well it be easy (okay maybe not easy, but somewhat simple)

-Ryu and Ken get a Super Meter that has 4 Bars
-Doing the Input Specials using the Special Button (not the Attack Button) will instead do the EX Version of that move, with the EX Version being a better overall version of even the Input Specials
-If you have all 4 Bars, you can do a Super Move. If you don't want to overlap with the Final Smashes, Ryu would get Denjin Hadoken, and Ken would get Shoryupa
So you're basically just taking the Super Meter. Simple enough in concept, but here's my take on it;

The fact that they play like a traditional fighter is gimmick enough, imo.

Terry getting supers is fine because he needs those to stand out from the Shotos, but the Shotos don't really need a huge gimmick that completely changes their playstyle.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So you're basically just taking the Super Meter. Simple enough in concept, but here's my take on it;

The fact that they play like a traditional fighter is gimmick enough, imo.

Terry getting supers is fine because he needs those to stand out from the Shotos, but the Shotos don't really need a huge gimmick that completely changes their playstyle.
They don't need it but it would be nice as a mechanic since they are from the game that popularized the super meter.

Personally I'd stick to its most simplest implementation, Super Turbo, where it's just one bar and doing a motion twice gets you the super version of that move. Like SF2, I'd just give them the Shinku Hadouken and the Shoryureppa to their respective owners. Basically a one move, Limit Break.
(Replace the final smash of Ryu's with Denjin Hadouken to compensate)

That way their "core" is the same and they have an added reference that is unique to them and doesn't completely change them into a bar management monster.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They don't need it but it would be nice as a mechanic since they are from the game that popularized the super meter.

Personally I'd stick to its most simplest implementation, Super Turbo, where it's just one bar and doing a motion twice gets you the super version of that move. Like SF2, I'd just give them the Shinku Hadouken and the Shoryureppa to their respective owners. Basically a one move, Limit Break.
(Replace the final smash of Ryu's with Denjin Hadouken to compensate)

That way their "core" is the same and they have an added reference that is unique to them and doesn't completely change them into a bar management monster.
Denjin could always be the Super Combo for this specific instance if they want to avoid redoing the Final Smash.

Still has the same idea of being "Hadoken but stronger"

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here’s a thought. What if we do get a promotional first party pick, but rather than being from a new/recently released/upcoming game, it’s a character from a rerelease/remake. What franchise(s) would you like to see this happen with, and who are some characters that fit this criteria that people would like to see? Could be a new or existing franchise in Smash.
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

I would go with Adeleine and Ribbon as a duo fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom