• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Heh. Perhaps the most foulmouthed Capcom character is your choice after seeing that. Funny.

Honestly? Yeah, none of my irls play Wario who just so happened to be the only one with mobility
Huh.
thinking faust.png
Fair enough then.

I was gonna show off Warioman side-b in Brawl being able to keep up Big Blue road, but none of the videos I found show it well, so uuuuuhhh, have a funny Samus dancing instead.

samus_jackson_by_eramthgin_1027501-d5n8avh.gif

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I just noticed they added Ganondorf to Super Smash Flash 2.

They should really add Geno to that game. Between Goku, Sora, Waluigi, Bandana Waddle Dee and Isaac, it really feels like that game prides itself on doing what Nintendon't.

Mega Legends is pretty much the hypest thing to see for a Mega Man fan since it brings all of the main versions of them together for one big blast. I dunno, it just feels right, and I think it is better than any of the alternatives, even if they aren't all that bad either. Though, I do think the inclusion of Proto Man and Bass does actually make it worse for some reason.
Agreed. The original works as just...all these generations of Mega Man together. Adding Proto Man and Bass just feels like cramming more characters in that don't fit the theme.

Especially since at least one of those characters should have been an Echo.

I get Gigaslash in concept, and the idea of all the past heroes granting Hero their power for one big attack is great. I just don't like the execution.
I wish it didn't exclude the 4 playable ones. Just...have all 11 together.

Honestly, I know we just got Sephiroth, but when it comes to iconic villains, I really hope we get Dr. Eggman.

Sonic is the longest running third party franchise that has been represented in Smash without getting a single new character. (Snake was cut from Smash 4 so Sonic has been in Smash the longest out of any of the other third party characters.) and yet, franchises that have joined Smash after him, like Street Fighter and Final Fantasy 7, and Castlevania, have all been given two playable representatives. With that in mind, who's the only other iconic villain left?
I still think Eggman would make a better Boss than playable character.

Eggman is the MOST iconic villain left, but he's not the only iconic villain left.
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Andross [Star Fox]
Liquid Snake [Metal Gear]
M. Bison [Street Fighter]
Dr. Wily [Mega Man]

All iconic video game villains. Though, like Eggman, most of them make more sense as Bosses. Liquid Snake would work as an Echo and Bison would actually work as a playable character.

How to say no to someone with a gun as a hand
By making them a Mii.

They're both gatekeeping that's entirely hinged on nitpicky OCD.
The correct kind of gatekeeping.

for some reason people really try to pretend Reimu has no precense outside Japan despite multiple worldwide releases and a dedicated fanbase to the point ZUN considers hiring a localization team a waste of time and money
I like how you can say that with a straight face and not recognize the contradiction.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
  • Isaac - We've all heard this one before. Very popular request, potential new game coming up, ATs aren't a hard deconfirm and are judged on a case-by-case basis, etc. You should know this one already.
......sigh.........Isaac, my dear Golden Boy. I still remember when i was optimistic for him in Smash 4 speculation for DLC. I played Golden Sun 1 and 2 back to back during the Ballot era, and became a GS fan in the process, only to see Isaac being slowly forgotten in Smash Ultimate slowly. I can't be mad about Isaac's state in Smash seeing how Camelot wasted their chance with the franchise.

Golden Sun only became popular thanks to its GREAT timing, it released as basically a GBA RPG launch title, a rarity for any RPG, and it came before any big hitter like Mario & Luigi and Pokémon and Final Fantasy ports. I can stress enough how much it helped them. It managed to sell 1 million copies, something that each Fire Emblem game struggled and failed to do until Awakening, despite having Smash presence since Melee.

If im being honest, the worst part about Golden Sun Dark Dawn was its release date, by the time 2010 rolled around, the DS was FILLED with RPGS, TWO Mario & Luigi games, Final Fantasy 3 and 4 remakes, Pokémon was by its 5th generation already, and the DS was being phased out slowly to make way for the 3DS. Even if the game ended up being regarded as the best game, it would have still sold moderately at best, based on said timing and branding alone. They really should have tried to capitalize in GS success as soon as they got DS devkits or something.

It's for reasons like this why i just simply don't see Golden Sun coming back. Golden Sun missed some nice exposure due to him being merely an AT in Brawl (which gave him exposure, but unless you are Waluigi, ATs are always background fodder, they never get the attention of playable characters get in any shape or form) and after a lackluster sequel, (which wasn't a flop, but its not good when the best thing you can say about something it's "its not a flop") it couldn't not even muster have Isaac come back in Smash 4, with only 2 songs that reference GS (one being a Brawl leftover, and the second one being ripped straight from Dark Dawn) At the end, with GS basically dead at that point, and Isaac having an AT and Mii Costume in Smash Ultimate already, people think NOW, after the release of mainline games like Xenoblade 1 and 2, Pokémon Sword and Shield, and many, many, many, many, many, other JRPGS ported (Vesperia) or made for Switch, that now is a good idea to release a game, apparently. The only evidence that supports GS's comeback is Trademarks, which are suspicious, but suspicious is the only thing they are.

Look, i do think the idea of a Nintendo-owned (especially of the.......ahem........"Shill" variety) character is possible, Smash 4 had Corrin as the penultimate choice, Byleht was the last FP1, char, and unless hell freezes over and Sakurai decides, to...........i don't know, make a deal with Intelligent System to remake FE7 to promote Lyn (which honestly is actually possible at this point) i don't see any other FE character coming to Smash, and Pokemon is not likely in my eyes, so that only leaves this hypothetical GS game to fill the gap for (at least one of) the last DLC character, but is Nintendo really gonna suddenly push for Isaac after Golden Sun being put in the back burner for so many years?

I guess Isaac is like a man who has nothing to lose, so there's no other way but UP. If Isaac makes it into Smash, it would be the equivlanet of a Shonen Protagonist getting flashbacks and beating the main bad guy because he can, and as hilarious as that mental image is, i can't say im optimistic regarding him in any way shape or form. I know you and i tend to disagree on a lot of things anyway (i think the only characters we both see as likely are Lloyd and Bandanna Dee)

I gotta say though, if IF, Isaac only happens because they just released a new Golden Sun, it would probably the only time i would be happy for a "Shill" rep.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I like how you can say that with a straight face and not recognize the contradiction.
I'm assuming you're referring to ZUN not localizing the games due to the fans. The games still get worldwide releases and I can and have spent money on English Touhou games without needing to get a patch so don't worry, no contradictions there

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The second Fighter's Pass has had a feel of initially surprising to the speculation scene, but then immediately making sense when thought about. You wouldn't expect an ARMS character, yet it was a new IP that simply had bad timing in regards to Smash. Steve was a bit of a big shocker, however a relationship with Microsoft had been established and taking a long time on him was understandable. Though Sephiroth was bandied about less than other Square Enix characters, his popularity and incentive for inclusion by all major parties (SE, Nintendo Sakurai) made him a natural choice.

I think that's what's made discussion for this latter have interesting and tricky because the rest of the pass could very well follow this same trend. Its why I can't discount someone like the Dovahkiin because they feel precisely like the sort of "surprising but not really" fighter to show up this year; one that was talked about more during the first pass and subject to far less predictions about after we got the Vault Boy costume.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Wait, does Sora have an orange Keyblade?

googles some searches

Well, he does, but none of them are iconic to him or anyone other than perhaps Axel/Lea.
**** I meant to say “over-sized key’”!

Almost replied with a dumb comment but I re-read what you said I can reply with something even dumber.

S'alright, gonna miss Ken though.
I meant purely original fighters (meaning Ken would stay).

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Kinda sucks that Eevee misses her bus, especially in Melee and probably Brawl where their approach on a Pokemon newcomer is still slow and steady and haven't been keeping up with new releases, sucks that it's Pichu.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we get a Pokemon DLC character but it turns out to be Eevee?
I'd only accept Eevee as DLC if it can evolve into all the Eeveelutions. Give them all the same animations but give their attacks different effects like Fire for Flareon, Ice for Glaceon, etc. Make Jolteon the fastest and Umbreon slow but can take more damage. They'd essentially be Melee clones in one character if that makes sense. Make Eevee build a meter and it can evolve into one of 8 eeveelutions for the duration of the stock. If any eeveelution is KO'd they go back to being an Eevee.

I meant purel’y original fighters (meaning Ken would stay).
So Isabelle, Incineraor and Piranha Plant would be replaced? In that case I'd gladly take Ashley, Takamaru and Mimikyu in that universe.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My whole thing is like...the whole point of Eevee is that it's incredibly basic and uninteresting until it evolves. And modern TPCi is never going to allow an Adventures-esque evolution-shifting gimmick, so the end result is a character that permanently becomes one of eight other characters, which is super labor intensive.

I think there's a reason that Poké Ball Eevee just sticks to Tackle. And even among Kanto Pokémon, there are so many that would just be better, like Gengar, Snorlax, or Alakazam.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What would your reaction be in the hypothetical scenario where we get a Pokemon DLC character but it turns out to be Eevee?
I'll apparently be the only one excited. Then again I've seen people think Sephiroth would be uninteresting until Galeem was sliced in half.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Anything as long as it's not the soccer bunny I beg of you. That said Eevee would probably be mid mid. You probably couldn't excite me with a popular marketing Pokemon but Garchomp's been a popular talk with the recent DP remake rumors. Don't think that's likely but if you're gonna do something exciting, that's how you do it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Soccer bunny is cool, anything but that drum gorilla is fine. Drum gorilla bad :mad:
Anything but soccer bunny, drum gorilla, or anorexic Gex is fine. And I'm afraid the only way to save us from that soccer bunny, assuming that spirit even didn't deconfirm Pokemon entirely, involves the original long-eared fire type.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Anything but soccer bunny, drum gorilla, or anorexic Gex is fine. And I'm afraid the only way to save us from that soccer bunny, assuming that spirit even didn't deconfirm Pokemon entirely, involves the original long-eared fire type.
Idk I mean drum gorilla doesn't like personally offend me and threaten my liveleyhood (/s) as much as the other two. It's just a grassy gorilla and looks sorta alright. I think the spirit event probably speaks numbers IMO :) so I think if we're getting a Pokemon at all, it might be something to do with gen 4 (Which I also think is unlikely)

There is some precedent, it's not the biggest since by then FRLG weren't the most recent games but Trainer did use the most recent design of Red and Leaf's existence in Ultimate kinda solidifies their designs were based on the remakes even though Red debuted in the very first games.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Ocarina of Time transformation is a far cry from the traditional Ganon, in both design and even character. It'd be pretty hard to confuse the two.

You're overlooking the real reason behind the comparison.

They're both gatekeeping that's entirely hinged on nitpicky OCD.
That is the traditional Ganon. I feel like I'm going in circles. :191: Tell me, do you believe Dracula has a chance too? If you do, then there's not much point in arguing if we're never going to agree with each other to begin with.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I mean, he’s not exactly wrong. With a Gen 8 Pokemon already being disconfirmed, it doesn’t seem likely we are getting a Pokemon as DLC. Could it happen? Sure, but I’d doubt it.
Oh yeah, you know…disconfirmed by the 7 out of literally 89 Galar-original Pokémon we got as Spirits, apparently.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ah, I wonder what SmashBoards is talking abou-
>Pokemon for the 1863718109137th time
Honestly, if we're gonna talk about Pokémon again, then I think it would be nice to at least bring something new into the conversation.

Like those Unite skins that apparently got leaked yesterday. And so again I question why we can't have something like this for characters other than Miis.

Seriously, I would pay for that Lucario costume in Smash.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Oddly enough my instinct is that a Gen 8 Pokemon is either fighter 11. or they're not coming at all. Call it a guess based on the fact that most people would have bought the fighter's pass by then and/or Byleth established that Nintendo is willing to end a DLC run on a somewhat safe first party choice if the timing works out. Especially if the next two fighters are fairly popular third party reps, ending with a Gen 8 character in the fall and tying in with the 25 anniversary of the franchise feels entirely possible.

Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if we're gonna talk about Pokémon again, then I think it would be nice to at least bring something new into the conversation.

Like those Unite skins that apparently got leaked yesterday. And so again I question why we can't have something like this for characters other than Miis.

Mr. Mime looks like he's about to commit bank fraud

SKX31

Smash Master
Ah, I wonder what SmashBoards is talking abou-
>Pokemon for the 1863718109137th time
View attachment 299533
I'm not looking forward to this thread when Unite releases.

Tencent's the kind of company where they are going to go big on advertising (they started out as a social media company, it comes with the territory), so people will no doubt know when it releases.

Speaking of, TIL:

[Garchomp with a ****ing snorkle]

Okay, the employee that came up with that deserves a pay raise. S tier costume. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom