• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Erdrick/Arusu is the DQ Character in the Trailer, and Japan loves that Hero the most. Also Richter is in the Trailer instead of Simon, and Richter was said to be for the Japanesse audience

So yep, that's the evidence that Suggests Sephiroth was the Japanese Fan favorite character of this pass, Whether we get more is up to your interpretation
There's so many mental gymnastics and leaps of logic here you might get an Olympic medal for it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
There's so many mental gymnastics and leaps of logic here you might get an Olympic medal for it.
It's really not, it's just some simple observations

Erdrick/Arusu was used as the DQ Hero. Not Eight, not Solo, not Eleven. Erdrick most loved hero in Japan
Richter was used instead of Simon. No Simon anywhere. Richter was picked for the Japanese audience as confirmed by Sakurai

If you combine this with the fact that Sephiroth did really good on Japanese fanpolls, It's a good reasoning for saying that Sephiroth was perhaps the Japanese Popular pick of the Pass, in the same vain Hero was

And not saying there can't be more Japanese Oriented picks, just that we likely got that one pick already. Of course Sephiroth is Popular in the West as well, but Steve is considered be people to be more Western Favored pick, even though he has popularity everywhere

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Also something I realized, is that Sephiroth's Trailer has evidence that adds to the thinking that Sephiroth is the character for the Japanese audience (which has been a line of thinking I've seen, but here's some evidence for it)

Erdrick/Arusu is the DQ Character in the Trailer, and Japan loves that Hero the most. Also Richter is in the Trailer instead of Simon, and Richter was said to be for the Japanesse audience

So yep, that's the evidence that Suggests Sephiroth was the Japanese Fan favorite character of this pass, Whether we get more is up to your interpretation
I very much doubt that.

Sephiroth is one of those characters who is hugely popular everywhere.

It's just a coincidence. After all, Banjo was also in that trailer.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I mean, it definitely feels more difficult now than ever to try and predict who could be next, which naturally makes speculating difficult. First we figured we'd get a 5th third party for the last character of pass 1, or if they were first party they'd probably be from a franchise that had yet to be added. Then Byleth happened. Then, after expecting ARMS to be very unlikely since it had a good amount of base game content and wasn't the most popular or anything, we got Min Min. Then we got Steve when we were very uncertain on his likelihood. Then we got Sephiroth, who no one was thinking about. We're at a point now where it really feels like all the characters we've gotten over the past year have been curveballs, which really hinders our ability to guess at who might be next.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Sorry for the little off-topic comment, but i have to say: just watched Tenet, blew my mind. Sakurai can be compared to Christopher Nolan when it comes to attention to details and hard work. Both are geniuses.

Let's get back to the smash spectulation now.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I very much doubt that.

Sephiroth is one of those characters who is hugely popular everywhere.

It's just a coincidence. After all, Banjo was also in that trailer.
I Know Sephiroth popular everywhere, just like Steve

I always saw Steve/Sephiroth has a less extreme version of Hero/Banjo, in that Steve/Sephiroth perhaps more for Western/Japanese audience respectfully, but I think unlike Hero/Banjo, everyone would be familiar with Steve/Sephiroth

Well at least Steve, but I know there were some people that did not know who Sephiroth was

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I Know Sephiroth popular everywhere, just like Steve

I always saw Steve/Sephiroth has a less extreme version of Hero/Banjo, in that Steve/Sephiroth perhaps more for Western/Japanese audience respectfully, but I think unlike Hero/Banjo, everyone would be familiar with Steve/Sephiroth

Well at least Steve, but I know there were some people that did not know who Sephiroth was
Or maybe he didn't need to be a Japanese pick because the real reason he got in is being Sephiroth.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, it definitely feels more difficult now than ever to try and predict who could be next, which naturally makes speculating difficult. First we figured we'd get a 5th third party for the last character of pass 1, or if they were first party they'd probably be from a franchise that had yet to be added. Then Byleth happened. Then, after expecting ARMS to be very unlikely since it had a good amount of base game content and wasn't the most popular or anything, we got Min Min. Then we got Steve when we were very uncertain on his likelihood. Then we got Sephiroth, who no one was thinking about. We're at a point now where it really feels like all the characters we've gotten over the past year have been curveballs, which really hinders our ability to guess at who might be next.
It's funny. Despite the sheer unpredictability of Smash, my predictions have solidified for the first time since before Steve.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Or maybe he didn't need to be a Japanese pick because the real reason he got in is being Sephiroth.
He got in because he is Sephiroth, but I do think that he was also fanservice for the Japanesse audience in particular, since the Smash Japanesse fans were wanting him all the time along with other Square characters like Sora and 2B

But I do say he has appeal to Everyone, just that I think he leans on the Japanese side more than the West because Japan loves Final Fantasy and RPGs or something like that.

I guess I only mention this because I know people be saying we need a Japanese focused character, and we don't have one yet or anything like that, but Sephiroth in my Opinion is that character, and also Steve as well in that aspect, because Japan loves Minecraft as well. they are characters for everyone.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Just like the rest of the world.

How is he the Japanese pick again if everyone likes him?
Because Sephiroth has more appeal to Japan, or at least that's what Nintendo/Sakurai may think, than it does in other regions, though it has appeal everywhere

Just like how Steve might have more appeal to the West, but has appeal everywhere.

a "Japanese Pick" doesn't have to be a character that's only liked in Japan. Same thing with Western pick to be honest. The Extremes of the appeals may vary.

I see Hero, Sephiroth, Banjo, and Steve has picks more geared towards other reigons, but Hero and Banjo were more extreme, while Sephiroth and Steve were not extreme at all. Every region loves them, but perhaps Japan loves Sephiroth the most

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Because Sephiroth has more appeal to Japan, or at least that's what Nintendo/Sakurai may think, than it does in other regions, though it has appeal everywhere

Just like how Steve might have more appeal to the West, but has appeal everywhere.

a "Japanese Pick" doesn't have to be a character that's only liked in Japan. Same thing with Western pick to be honest. The Extremes of the appeals may vary.

I see Hero, Sephiroth, Banjo, and Steve has picks more geared towards other reigons, but Hero and Banjo were more extreme, while Sephiroth and Steve were not extreme at all. Every region loves them, but perhaps Japan loves Sephiroth the most
I also don't believe in the pattern that we need a "Japanese pick" and a "Western pick"

It happened at E3 2019 because things landed that way perfectly for that event. Doesn't mean it's a requirement for the second Pass

7NATOR

Smash Master
FFVII is more popular in the Western regions compared to its home country so can someone explain where this "Sephiroth Japan pick" thing comes from?
I got that impression because of some Japanesse Fanpolls where Sephiroth placed high, which you didn't see in Western made polls.

I also don't believe in the pattern that we need a "Japanese pick" and a "Western pick"

It happened at E3 2019 because things landed that way perfectly for that event. Doesn't mean it's a requirement for the second Pass
Okay, I'll be honest with you, This was probably my honest point, but I did not know how to word it

I also honestly don't think there's a need for a Eastern/Western Specific Characters, when Characters like Steve/Sephiroth appeal to everyone. I guess that was what I was trying to say

Like I think if a Character is especially popular in one region, maybe that might be an added boost to their merits or something like that, but I don't think there's an requirement for characters that explicitly appeal to one main region and maybe not the others.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Heres my personal head canon for the Ultimate Timeline.
1st: Everyone but Sephiroth and Heros reveal trailer is around here.
2nd: The entirety of WoL
3rd: Sephiroth reveal trailer. He goes back in time and attempts to usurp the whole event before being defeated by cloud.
4th: Dharkon comes in and destroys everyone but Link and the Heroes.
Thats basically it. I feel like this is simpler than most of you think.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I also honestly don't think there's a need for a Eastern/Western Specific Characters, when Characters like Steve/Sephiroth appeal to everyone. I guess that was what I was trying to say
Sure didn't sound like you were trying to say that since you literally weren't.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Heres my personal head canon for the Ultimate Timeline.
1st: Everyone but Sephiroth and Heros reveal trailer is around here.
2nd: The entirety of WoL
3rd: Sephiroth reveal trailer. He goes back in time and attempts to usurp the whole event before being defeated by cloud.
4th: Dharkon comes in and destroys everyone but Link and the Heroes.
Thats basically it. I feel like this is simpler than most of you think.
I mean, if you want to go that simple, that's fine, but there is stuff I wonder

-Are you taking into account the True ending?

-I would personally switch Hero and Sephiroth's Trailer order. Hero's Trailer makes more sense if it came before Sephiroth, not after

Sure didn't sound like you were trying to say that since you literally weren't.
Well I'll just say now that I probably should have said what I said in that post then intially, instead of trying to tie it into Japan/West thing and stuff like that

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Why not Tifa?
Idk, I just like Barrets gun hand. I haven’t played FF7 yet, I gotta power through Mother 3 first.
I mean, if you want to go that simple, that's fine, but there is stuff I wonder

-Are you taking into account the True ending?

-I would personally switch Hero and Sephiroth's Trailer order. Hero's Trailer makes more sense if it came before Sephiroth, not after
Yes, I see the true ending as canon.
Why does Heroes make more sense?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Seeing as Sophitia Alexandra is getting support here, yeah I want to say it would be great if the next Namco rep is Sophitia Alexandra from Soul Calibur, or her sister Cassandra Alexandra.

With Travis Touchdown seemingly de-confirmed, I always like his brother Henry Cooldown better. Maybe we could get a MinMin situation with him,

As for bad guys: Wizpig from Diddy Kong Racing would be great as he is so underated and Senator Armstrong from Metal Gear Solid R. In this and as a western rep, I feel Goro represents Mortal Kombat better but seems hard we will get someone from there. And as Bioshock was mentioned, I want to go wild card and say Elizabeth would be my choice for a rep.

Chun-Li deserves it as she is among the first ladies of gaming but it would be crazy if Juri Han got in instead lol.

Also, as a Mexican and Latin American myself: I do not believe Terry Bogard was added to pander us. The character is known world wide and was present in Nintendo since the SNES era. But for some reason, he is somewhat forgotten in the US as of like the past decade.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yes, I see the true ending as canon.
Why does Heroes make more sense?
Well i just think the Events of Hero's Trailer links up nicely to Sephiroth's Trailer, but not the other way around.

Hero helps Link defeat Dharkon, which powers up Galeem (who might have been chained, Since Dharkon chains Galeem if you defeat only Galeem) and then Galeem bodies the Heroes, until Sephiroth steps in

I don't think it flows as nicely the other way around

Plus

Sephiroth I believe didn't have the ability to Time Travel until FF7R, and Sephiroth's Trailer was not written with FF7R in Mind

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Hm, I think I might know what FF game Smash will add after VII...
Yeah, FF7 again.
Because that's the only FF the general gaming sphere even remotely cares about.
Not that Tifa wouldn't be sick, I actually do kinda want a female Brawler here, and I can't think of any other person that'd fit that description.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Well i just think the Events of Hero's Trailer links up nicely to Sephiroth's Trailer, but not the other way around.

Hero helps Link defeat Dharkon, which powers up Galeem (who might have been chained, Since Dharkon chains Galeem if you defeat only Galeem) and then Galeem bodies the Heroes, until Sephiroth steps in

I don't think it flows as nicely the other way around

Plus

Sephiroth I believe didn't have the ability to Time Travel until FF7R, and Sephiroth's Trailer was not written with FF7R in Mind
I see it literally the exact opposite lol.
I see it fitting as way better with Sephiroth trying to take over the whole event, killing Galeem, getting killed, and then Dharkon shows up and takes over.
The whole thing taking place on the brawl cliff convinces me more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
After Steve and Sephiroth. Do you guys think we'll get at least one more "big" character or do you think the rest will be in the "small" or "middle"?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I see it literally the exact opposite lol.
I see it fitting as way better with Sephiroth trying to take over the whole event, killing Galeem, getting killed, and then Dharkon shows up and takes over.
The whole thing taking place on the brawl cliff convinces me more.
See this is what I love about Speculation

You got your ideas, I got mine. You do you, I do me

But I don't know, Personally it would just feel kind of wrong if Sephiroth's Trailer came in the timeline before Hero's Trailer. It's like this

Hero's Trailer made it seem like Hero came out of nowhere. He's here to save the day from Dharkon's Army. he was getting bodied, but thanks to the other Heroes, they were able to free the other Dharkon clones

But you go to Sephiroth's Trailer, the same Hero (Erdrick/Arusu) that was the legendary reveal in the 2nd act of Hero's Trailer, is out there getting mopped by Galeem, and is about to get erased, before Sephiroth Slashes Galeem like Butter. He's also destroying everyone until Cloud does damage to him, and even then he turns into Safer Sephiroth in the end

This way you got the stakes going higher. It's pretty much the Shonen Anime Power creep build that those show uses

But if you reverse it the other way, It's like the opposite of the Power creep, it's like a Downgrade in power. Sephiroth just killed Galeem, destroyed everyone but Cloud, and even when Cloud did a number on him, he goes to his Final Form, meanwhile Dharkon is nowehere to be seen

Sephiroth gets warn off somehow, Dharkon then now decides to show his Hand, and among all the fighters, All the Heroes and Link seem to be the only ones left? Not Cloud or anything like that. That's why I think that order is weird, and it raises alot of questions to be honest, like how were only Hero and Link able to be the survivors, why was Hero so far back when saving link, and other stuff like that

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
After Steve and Sephiroth. Do you guys think we'll get at least one more "big" character or do you think the rest will be in the "small" or "middle"?
Probaby. With that character for my prediction, being the most famous fighting game female in video game history.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Our of curiosity, who were your guys favorite Smash cutscene? Like a reveal trailer or Brawl cutscene. Could even be that old 64 commercial with suits.
My Personal Favorite is this Smash Ultimate Commercial
Has everything I want out of a Smash Battle Royal, Unlikely alliances, 1v1s and free for alls. And characters who really just don’t wanna fight. (Also Ridley fighting Pit is the most fitting thing ever)

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I don't think being "too big" will be stopping a character like Crash, Master Chief, or god-forbid Fortnite Jonesy from being out of the running. Besides, sometimes it feels like there isn't a line between "big" characters and less popular characters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom