• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah. Second most popular character Smash has had, I'd say.

But it wasn't until he stopped getting regular games that people began to treat him as anything less than part of the cream of Capcom's crop. I mean there are, what, over 100 Mega Man releases at least. Many different sub-series that found success. He was at the forefront of Capcom's stable, in part because they put him there. For a long, long time, he was the de facto mascot.

Then it changed around a decade ago, and the other big series continued getting bigger. So I can't really say it's incorrect to cast Mega Man in a different light. He faltered, the others prospered. I just wish the series' trajectory had never spiralled so horribly off-course.
Mega Man’s a weird series where it’s super well known, important & iconic, but the sales don’t often match up with that recognition. That’s mainly where I was coming from. I feel Rayman is that way but even more so. Both are awesome franchises though.

I feel Mega Man’s real problem is that Capcom just sort of stopped doing 3D games after Legends didn’t light the world on fire. A 3D platformer/shooter hybrid classic or X game would be sick.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Mega Man’s a weird series where it’s super well known, important & iconic, but the sales don’t often match up with that recognition. That’s mainly where I was coming from. I feel Rayman is that way but even more so. Both are awesome franchises though.

I feel Mega Man’s real problem is that Capcom just sort of stopped doing 3D games after Legends didn’t light the world on fire. A 3D platformer/shooter hybrid classic or X game would be sick.
I mean they DID fo a 3D game after Legends. It's just.... y'know... https://youtu.be/8FJTK_iNA5s

ahemtoday

Smash Ace

I mean, we got that with X7, didn't we? And, uh... yyyeah...

I get what you mean, though. It's interesting that, unlike basically every other major platformer series in existence, Mega Man never actually got a foothold in 3D. I think the only other series like that that really come to mind are Kirby and Castlevania. It does kinda feel like there's something missing because of that.

However, I'd kinda be wary of a classic Mega Man in 3D. I feel like enemies would become a lot less threatening (as they tend to do when you can just go around them), and aiming at them would be difficult without a lock-on feature (which I think Legends did, but that kinda makes aiming trivial) or turning it into some kinda first-person shooter (which doesn't feel very Mega Man), Also, primarily because people have been saying this about classic Sonic games but I played Sonic Robo Blast 2, which is a particularly highly regarded fangame that is exactly that, but I actually really disliked it, and I allow grudges against only vaguely related games to color my perception.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, we got that with X7, didn't we? And, uh... yyyeah...

I get what you mean, though. It's interesting that, unlike basically every other major platformer series in existence, Mega Man never actually got a foothold in 3D. I think the only other series like that that really come to mind are Kirby and Castlevania. It does kinda feel like there's something missing because of that.

However, I'd kinda be wary of a classic Mega Man in 3D. I feel like enemies would become a lot less threatening (as they tend to do when you can just go around them), and aiming at them would be difficult without a lock-on feature (which I think Legends did, but that kinda makes aiming trivial) or turning it into some kinda first-person shooter (which doesn't feel very Mega Man), Also, primarily because people have been saying this about classic Sonic games but I played Sonic Robo Blast 2, which is a particularly highly regarded fangame that is exactly that, but I actually really disliked it, and I allow grudges against only vaguely related games to color my perception.
A 3D classic Mega Man could probably take design cues from Ratchet and Clank. They're both platformers with heavy shooting elements featuring a variety of weapons.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, when I played X7 on the MMX collection 2, I switched to Japanese language when I played it...and I've never done that before in any other game...and I've played a good amount of JRPGS/Japanese games in my time...

After playing it myself, I will say that...I didn't actually hate it. the game was flawed and unpolished as **** and it's one of the weaker X games for sure, but to give it some credit I did like the chip system it had, I didn't dislike all stages in the game (the warship one was actually kinda cool), I liked that it went with a simpler X armor upgrade system, and the character switching Mechanic was nice. I'd still say X6 is the worst X game and perhaps worst Megaman of all time. Say what you will of X7, but atleast X7 didn't have the Gate's levels, Gate battle, and that BS Nightmare system.

And that's my (maybe?) hot take of the day.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So in the hypothetical scenario that Krystal is added, what'd the pack be like? What games would be represented, what tracks would be added, what would her moveset be, etc.?
I don't care at all about Krystal but a stage based on Dinosaur Planet would be dope, and at least very thematically different from all the other StarFox stages.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I like how Capcom basically split the MMX Legacy Collection into the good ones and the bad ones. Truly, a revolution in game compilations.
To this day, I'll always feel bad for X8 (and X5 to a lesser extent) for always being called bad despite its only crime being that it released after X6 and X7.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Is that the one that

Knock knock

Ah, excuse me for a sec, I gotta see whose's at the do---

[Cursed video]
We already had this video linked, why you gotta go ahead and embed?

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Well if past precedent still means anything at all, we should be finding out who is next very soon.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Just an honest-to-whatever-divine-being-you-may-or-may-not-worship question...

Is the Blocked Content channel ever taken seriously around these parts? Seems like a drama queen to me.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Here's something interesting: What's a series you'd love to see in Smash, but know that their most likely choice for the series' rep will have issues getting in? And not in regards to other characters from other series being more likely or being more popular in one country compared to another country and whatnot, but with that character's design, gameplay, etc?
Darkstalkers. Morrigan is in an even worse spot than Riesz, imo:
Used to think they could just cover her chest a lot more. Then the whole Mai thing happened.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Here's something interesting: What's a series you'd love to see in Smash, but know that their most likely choice for the series' rep will have issues getting in? And not in regards to other characters from other series being more likely or being more popular in one country compared to another country and whatnot, but with that character's design, gameplay, etc?

Like I'd love to see the Mana series in Smash, but as for their most likely pick for the series........yeah, you can see the problem.

There is no doubt in my mind that Riesz would probably be the top contender for a Mana rep because back then, she was incredibly popular in Japan and she still is, but nowhere near as much as she was at first. Her popularity back then was quite comparable to frickin' Tifa of all characters. And her popularity in Japan has gotten a re-raise since Trials of Mana's remake. But her default design does have suffer from easy exposure and her other class designs that aren't Vanadis don't help her case either.
The Monster from Carrion as a fighter, only problem is that they would have trouble trying to do the whole blob thing as well said game being pretty gory, violent and so bloody.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Used to think they could just cover her chest a lot more. Then the whole Mai thing happened.
I mean this is the closest thing that we get of Morrigan being censored and it is from the american animated tv show (yes, that's exist), the same tv show where they put a bra on Felicia when her original design only has lines covering her badonkers. Still she has cleavage, don't know that applies to Shantae tho.
IMG_20210115_181559.jpg

Also, the Mai thing is even more worse than Morrigan If I'm being honest, I remember I show the image sometimes ago in this thread but basically she's a scantily clad who doesn't even wear an undergarments not even a bra and she even show side boobs and exposed buttocks. At least Morrigan design could be slightly altered but Mai is just the case where she has to wear a different outfit.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
I'd get it if Sonic already had two or three characters right now, but it's just Sonic, so I don't see the harm in adding a new one.
Just nitpicking this point specifically: frankly I'd understand if someone would still be unsatisfied with the SEGA content at this point and, in some cases, would still be disappointed at a 2nd Sonic character. It all really depends on where your preferences in SEGA's vast IP library lie. Of course, if you're mainly a Sonic fan, I don't blame you for thinking it could use better representation, and thus, a second character. But on the "disappointed at more sanic" side of the coin I mentioned, if you're a bigger fan of Atlus' side of things, yeah I'd understand if you'd rather have, say, an SMT rep be next up. Or if you prefer SEGA's other in-house/"classic" IPs like myself, I'd get it too, considering how wide that stable is and how the only things we've really gotten from it are the Virtua Fighter content and technically the Bayo remix of After Burner.

What I'm trying to say is SEGA's IPs and their fanbases are so vast and varied that it'd still make sense if you're a SEGA fan and still aren't satisfied with the current content we got that isn't from Sonic, and thus would be disappointed at our next SEGA person being more of it. 's a matter of perspective and preferences

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
If there is going to be another Nintendo character in this pass, it won’t be a Pokemon from Gen 8, that I am certain of.

They need to make StarFox 64-2. And in addition to the original squadron, add a 2nd squadron of Krystal, Miyu, Fay and one other character.
Bringing back Miyu and Fay alongside Krystal is a pretty good idea.

Probably because being unable to separate the game and the character is something you mostly only saw from her detractors.
Why should she be held responsible for shortcomings that were unrelated to her presence?

Look at the Star Wars movies. People **** on the majority of them (not without reason), but many of the characters from the "bad" movies are still liked, because it's usually not the characters that was the problem.

And if you want to be real, a lot of female characters experience thread activity which betrays how likely most of the fanbase finds them, such as Lip, Shantae, Ashley, KOS-MOS, Daisy, etc. (I know Daisy got in but they thought she'd be original), at a frequency that to me seems more common than similarly-standing male characters. I think it's mostly due to select hyperactive members, and I'm not about to cast generalizations as to their motives, but I do notice the disparity. I mean the Lip thread has a history dating back to at least Smash 4 of being unnervingly large, despite being for... Lip.

I'd say this time around you could probably throw Krystal in their midst as well, especially considering she was deconfirmed right off the bat and is a decade and a half from her last appearance, but still managed to have a thread more active than many other candidates. When her popularity formed, however, it was pretty well-founded, considering pre-Brawl Star Fox had received three new titles, at least two of which crossed the million mark, all of which featured Krystal in a major role, and the current cast at that point was just Fox and an assumed but unrevealed Falco.

So if her popularity one day resurges, the suspicious part of why it exists in the first place will only constitute a fraction of the total picture, the rest being pretty understandable.
The relative lack of female characters may help, but the biggest selling point of Krystal is that she’d add diversity to the Star Fox roster. Certainly far more so than being popular among a niche subculture. You’re not going to be among the top 10 most requested (which she’d likely be should she return to Star Fox) by appealing to furries, but by appealing to people outside the furry fandom.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Disappointed.

Scorpion makes little sense when Mortal Kombat might as well not exist in Japan and is past its heyday in the West,
This is so hilariously wrong and out of touch that I can only say you really need to revise your definition of "past its heyday" because the past decade of Mortal Kombat has been fantastic for the series and its completely outdone every single one of its peers outside of Smash.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
This is so hilariously wrong and out of touch that I can only say you really need to revise your definition of "past its heyday" because the past decade of Mortal Kombat has been fantastic for the series and its completely outdone every single one of its peers outside of Smash.
I kinda don't get why everyone think MK already pass their glory days when the now MK11, X and the 2011 reboot is praised for it's incorporation of stories in Fighting Game (even if it's sucks), and also Sakurai could very well easily based Scorpion on the old MK games, doesn't stop Ryu being based heavily on Street Fighter 2 when 4 is still relevant at that time.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Today I learned Sakurai's dev tools let you place bosses on other stages.

Also...what sort of friends is Pichu making?!

IT WAS NOT BY MY HAND THAT I AM ONCE AGAIN GIVEN FLESH. I WAS BROUGHT HERE BY A PICHU WHO WISHED TO BEFRIEND ME WITH CUTENESS.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Like I'd love to see the Mana series in Smash, but as for their most likely pick for the series........yeah, you can see the problem.

There is no doubt in my mind that Riesz would probably be the top contender for a Mana rep because back then, she was incredibly popular in Japan and she still is, but nowhere near as much as she was at first. Her popularity back then was quite comparable to frickin' Tifa of all characters. And her popularity in Japan has gotten a re-raise since Trials of Mana's remake. But her default design does have suffer from easy exposure and her other class designs that aren't Vanadis don't help her case either.
I suppose 2B is the closest I can think. She apparently suffers the panties issue which CERO takes the greatest offense to when it comes to "Good boys and girls".
For the most part CERO has issues with panties. Morrigan's cleavage would be easy to cover and reduce her breast size.

Now Felicia on the other hand...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If they released the live action Cats movie without issue, they can release Felicia (though I'd prefer Morrigan)

this is sarcasm for those who have a hard time telling
Though I know the post is sarcastic I still just want to point out that Felicia is basically naked. Her fur is what covers her "You know" parts...

The only possible way for her to get in would be to wear her nun outfit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom