• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Are you talking about the game or are you trying to say that that abomination is supposed to be Godzilla?

Because if it is I have some questions.
No, it's from a creepypasta based on the NES Godzilla game. That thing is not Godzilla nor has anything to do with the Godzilla series itself. It was a OC villain made for the creepypasta.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That thing is suppose to be from an NES Godzilla creepy pasta.
No, it's from a creepypasta based on the NES Godzilla game. That thing is not Godzilla nor has anything to do with the Godzilla series itself. It was a OC villain made for the creepypasta.
And suddenly I find it 100% less unnerving...How does that even work? My brain is weird.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Case in point:
A public domain character?

There's also Dr. Kawashima who is based on a real-life person.
But isn't actually that person.

The same way Master Takahashi from Adventure Island isn't actually Toshiyuki Takahashi, or Dr. Wright isn't actually Will Wright, and are thus, still video game characters.

It's not the same as opening the game up to all media either. The focus is still very much on gaming.
I don't believe that's the point, and I think it's grasping at straws to think otherwise.

I think people just like Geralt so much they want to try and ignore the literal ONLY non-fanrule Smash has.

OK so would you argue that The Lord of the Rings shouldn't make a best movies list because they're book adaptations? They're still good movies, the source material doesn't change that. It's the same deal here.
No it isn't, because that's not what determines if you're eligible to get into Smash.

It doesn't MATTER if a game is the best game of all time. If it's an adaptation of a nonvideo game, it's not going to get into Smash. Quality and popularity and impact are, again, all irrelevant.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
And suddenly I find it 100% less unnerving...How does that even work? My brain is weird.
Basically, you know those creepypasta stories about video games with "things not in the original game" or give the player in the story a horrible experience, like Ben Drowned, Sonic.EXE, Pokemon Black, etc? It's something like that, but the creator of the creepypasta took it alot further and added "actual" screenshots. Like the player in the creepypasta takes them while playing the game and actually posts them up, as if it were a real thing. The screenshots have alot of effort and have original or made sprites for the shots. And that Red monster is one of the original creations for the story.

If you're a Godzilla fan, it's honestly a good read just for the amount of Godzilla references, the sprites made for Godzilla monsters that weren't in the NES game, like Orga, and the screenshots. The story itself is also decent as well. It's not anything to really write home about and the ending is okay at best, but the amount of effort put into it with the screenshots and sprite-work makes it an interesting experience.
But as mentioned, it's best when you are a fan of Godzilla and know what it's talking about when the references come.

Last edited:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
The more I think about it, the more I wanna see Arthur from Ghosts n Goblins
what's one more projectile-focused character
plus the graveyard as a stage would be pretty great, and maybe that would be a good excuse opportunity to add in some other spooky Capcom music from Resident Evil or Haunting Ground, maybe even Clock Tower

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Elma Keeps The Rhythm Going! (“That put a dent in ‘em...”)
KOS-MOS Reactivates!
(Alt for KOS-MOS) T-elos Dominates?!
Ahri .... uh... frick I actually can’t think of anything. Got any suggestions 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus ?

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Cortez is Free to get Radical!

It's kind of like Banjo & Kazooie's splash text where they reference the company they belong to. In this case, Cortez used to be owned by Free Radical (Now he's owned by Deep Silver UK, a subsidiary of THQ Nordic)

Time to Split!

Yo we splittin over here.gif

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Rex and Pyra are Fired up!
Rex and Mythra Light up the battle!
Crash brings the N. Sanity!
Paper Mario Unfolds the battle!
Dr. Eggman Gets a load of it!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
plus the graveyard as a stage would be pretty great, and maybe that would be a good excuse opportunity to add in some other spooky Capcom music from Resident Evil or Haunting Ground, maybe even Clock Tower
music from Haunting Ground
CULTURE. God I love that game’s musical “warning” system so much

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Grovyle gears up!
Maxwell starts his sentence! (This one isn't very good)
Bandana Dee claims his prize!
X Zeroes in!
Frisk DETERMINES their path!
Kamek spells doom!
Marx wishes to fight!
Phoenix Wright makes his case!
Fawful has fury!
Octoling claims their turf!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've been away from the Smash speculation a while to update the Homestar Wiki. Are there any new rumours since Septhiroth came out?

Mr. Robotto

Smash Ace

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Heavy Revs Up!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
Oh this seems fun, here are some of mine:

Sol Badguy Rides the Fire! or Sol Badguy Gears Up!
Kazuya Mishima Irons his Fists!
Chun Li Shows her Kung-Fu!
Demi-Fiend Presses for his Turn in Battle!
Kazuma Kiryu Roars like a Dragon!
Geralt of Rivia Hunts the Wild!
Heavy Meets Smash!
Phoenix Wright Takes the Stand!

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
New Pokemon Snap releasing April 30th:

Was kinda expecting this as part of whatever anniversary news Pokemon (presumably) has for next month but I'll take it. Looks nice.

Best starter Meganium on the box cover.
"Welcome Back" da da da ba da ba dadada

OML that game looks so good (for a photography game), I miss the N64 Pokemon snap.

I hope they bring some of the old music back.

I can't believe how good the pokemon models are compared to SW/SH though.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Elma Keeps The Rhythm Going! (“That put a dent in ‘em...”)
KOS-MOS Reactivates!
(Alt for KOS-MOS) T-elos Dominates?!
Ahri .... uh... frick I actually can’t think of anything. Got any suggestions 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus ?
Oh wait duh

Ahri Runs The Rift!
I also thought of "Ahri graces the Rift!" or, if you wanna go for those K/DA references, you could do "Ahri goes all out!"

Side note, but am I the only one who thinks Ultimate is doing these splash texts a whole lot better than Smash 4? Most of them are simple and to the point, unlike Smash 4 which had a few... overly punny ones.

I still cringe whenever I look at Bowser Jr.'s...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Was kinda expecting this as part of whatever anniversary news Pokemon (presumably) has for next month but I'll take it. Looks nice.

Poor Sobble! The cover art shows both Scorbunny and Grookey, but no Sobble! lol. He was my least favorite of the three, but he didn't deserve that; he's still cooler than several other starters I wont name (because I dont want to start a mini war lol).

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Poor Sobble! The cover art shows both Scorbunny and Grookey, but no Sobble! lol. He was my least favorite of the three, but he didn't deserve that; he's still cooler than several other starters I wont name (because I dont want to start a mini war lol).
I can understand not wanting to disappoint the 1% that didn't buy the best Pokemon game of all time by getting them excited about Sobble only to find out what it evolves into. No man or woman deserves to have their eyes hurt by that... thing. (i thrive in chaos)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I can understand not wanting to disappoint the 1% that didn't buy the best Pokemon game of all time by getting them excited about Sobble only to find out what it evolves into. No man or woman deserves to have their eyes hurt by that... thing. (i thrive in chaos)
Oh come on, Intelleon isn't that bad!

This is:
1610635425252.png

D

Deleted member

Harsh. Intelligente or whatever its name is isn't that bad. I like his design more than Gen 3's fire chicken, idiotic looking tree lizard, and the doofy looking reject known as Swampert. 'Meta' be damned; I hate their designs.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Intelligente or whatever its name is...
Well that wasn't its name before, but it sure as heck is now!

I like his design more than Gen 3's fire chicken, idiotic looking tree lizard, and the doofy looking reject known as Swampert. 'Meta' be damned; I hate their designs
All I'm gonna say is: expect this to show up at your door in about 5 minutes.

1610635821206.png

Flyboy

Smash Hero
On the subject of taglines the other day a friend suggested Ichiban steps up to bat! which I do enjoy.

There's also the obvious Marina shakes it up!

It's a shame "Brings the Heat" was already used for Ken because that'd be perfect for Kiryu.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dayum seems folks on the RTC thread is rating Arle rather high. Such confidence.

Nothing against her, just surprising, and Arle would be a welcoming addition.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
My first thought reading this was "Oh man the Smash community would loathe Arthur if he got in. They hate projectile-based characters like the Belmonts and..."

Then I stopped. They don't hate the Links, who are every bit as spammy with their projectiles as the Belmonts. They also don't hate the Samuses, Spacies, or even Dedede, Duck Hunt, or K. Rool as much as they hate the Belmonts, even though they can be every bit as spammy/campy.

I play Simon a lot. Used to main him, I know how to use his kit, yet every time I pick him people call foul. I pick Young Link and spam fire arrows and boomerang and people say respect.

Why all the Belmont hate in Smash? Especially since they're seemingly countered by half the roster?

(Again, I only ask because I think any DLC character with a heavy focus on projectiles - Doomguy, Master Chief, Arthur, etc - would be just as hated once the hype wore off and I'd love to know why.)

I'm drooling over this, by the way. That Pinsir vs Heracross scene is everything I want mainline Pokémon games to be.

Also, a million bucks that the new professor is an older Todd Snap.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Dayum seems folks on the RTC thread is rating Arle rather high. Such confidence.

Nothing against her, just surprising, and Arle would be a welcoming addition.
There's nothing really going against her other than maybe one interview that seemed NDA breaky but I don't know how those work and the consensus on those flip flops a lot (usually when it's for the character you like). Lots of characters with low chances on the RTC thread will often relate to the fact that they have post-launch content or post-launch content implied to come ala MonHun and Lloyd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well that wasn't its name before, but it sure as heck is now!

All I'm gonna say is: expect this to show up at your door in about 5 minutes.

View attachment 299263
Unfortunately, that was a One and Done fix; megas were almost immediately scrapped in favor of Z Moves, and then again for Dyna/Gigantamax (which I honestly prefer since it's like a combination of the previous two).

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
My first thought reading this was "Oh man the Smash community would loathe Arthur if he got in. They hate projectile-based characters like the Belmonts and..."

Then I stopped. They don't hate the Links, who are every bit as spammy with their projectiles as the Belmonts. They also don't hate the Samuses, Spacies, or even Dedede, Duck Hunt, or K. Rool as much as they hate the Belmonts, even though they can be every bit as spammy/campy.

I play Simon a lot. Used to main him, I know how to use his kit, yet every time I pick him people call foul. I pick Young Link and spam fire arrows and boomerang and people say respect.

Why all the Belmont hate in Smash? Especially since they're seemingly countered by half the roster?

(Again, I only ask because I think any DLC character with a heavy focus on projectiles - Doomguy, Master Chief, Arthur, etc - would be just as hated once the hype wore off and I'd love to know why.)
It's not just Belmonts, Olimar, Duct Hunt, Ness, Robin etc. also get called brainless spam characters a lot.

I think the reason mostly boils down to most Smash fans not being good at this game as much as they claim to be. It's easier to make other people feel bad for playing a character you're not good at playing against rather than just getting better at the game.

Firox

Smash Master
Don't mind me, just posting my roster from another universe where I'm an evil dictator and Smash Bros was designed to please me.

View attachment 299264
Travis, Doomguy, Decidueye, Geno, Sora, Tails, Eggman and Crash? I could dig that universe. Just throw in Knuckles and Isaac and I'd call it straight-up perfection....that is, if it pleases the Supreme Ruler, Lord Trapezium.

Last edited:

Minimilk

Smash Rookie
I replay think Paper Mario would be a good character. Just to bring some light to the paper Mario games. He would have to be a character who isn’t an echo to Mario though. I think a good identical move would be up-b and that’s it.
Move set:
Side B- Hammer Smash
Neutral B: Paper Ball throw
Down b: counter

I didn’t have a lot of time to think of themove set, so someone give me ideas!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Well they do call her Spamus...

But yeah, the Links do seem to be an exception from what I've seen. If I were to hazard a guess it's because Link and Young Link players tend to play keepaway a lot less and have really cool combos while Toon Link has approximately 0 presence.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I replay think Paper Mario would be a good character. Just to bring some light to the paper Mario games. He would have to be a character who isn’t an echo to Mario though. I think a good identical move would be up-b and that’s it.
Move set:
Side B- Hammer Smash
Neutral B: Paper Ball throw
Down b: counter

I didn’t have a lot of time to think of themove set, so someone give me ideas!
Important question: Does his down special still counters if the opponent picks the scissors or does it only work on the rock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom