• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Mad props to Sakurai if this is referencing Wai Wai World, cause I was wondering why would this image have any connection to Konami Man and I completely forgot for a second that Wai Wai World had King Kong as a character.

To think you could have eligible spirits for each character though:
Konami Man - Captain Falcon
Konami Lady - ZS Samus
Goemon - Goemon Mii Costume
Simon Belmont III - Simon Belmont
Getsu Fuma - Richter joined by Takamaru AT
Moai Alexandria - Pac-Man joined by Andross AT
Mikey - Villager
King Kong - Donkey Kong
King Kong? Is it a bootleg or did they actually get the rights?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Or they can add Arle and call her a Sonic character.
to be fair, weren't the Puyo's in Eggman's Mean bean machine, as the beans, so at least they could get away with calling the Puyo's Sonic characters

Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow are all out of the running. The former two being Miis and the latter an assist.
Do you want to make a bet, Because I'm willing to bet on this, against this notion

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
King Kong is public domain.
Technically kind of true but not really.

The rights to King Kong is complicated.

1. Warner Bros. owns the rights to the original film. Ted Turner acquired KING KONG when he bought the RKO film library in 1986. His company merged with Time Warner in 1995 and his films became part of Warner Bros.

2. Merian Cooper's estate sold Universal rights to the character and the plot of KING KONG, plus the theme park and certain merchandising rights. This allowed Universal to do their own KING KONG remake in 2005.

3. The Cooper estate retained publishing and some other limited merchandising rights.

4. The 1933 novelization has fallen into the public domain because the copyright was not renewed. This is the only aspect of KING KONG that is in the public domain. Anyone can publish the original novel but that's all they can do. In 2005, Cooper's estate published a new novelization of the King Kong story to establish a new official version.

So, in 1993 Turner would have controlled the 1933 film and some licensing rights connected to it (home video, toys based on that particular film, etc). But if Toho wanted to use the King Kong character in a new film they would have needed to make a deal with the estate of Merian Cooper. If they wanted to make a film now (which they don't), they'd have to license the rights from Universal.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Technically kind of true but not really.

The rights to King Kong is complicated.

1. Warner Bros. owns the rights to the original film. Ted Turner acquired KING KONG when he bought the RKO film library in 1986. His company merged with Time Warner in 1995 and his films became part of Warner Bros.

2. Merian Cooper's estate sold Universal rights to the character and the plot of KING KONG, plus the theme park and certain merchandising rights. This allowed Universal to do their own KING KONG remake in 2005.

3. The Cooper estate retained publishing and some other limited merchandising rights.

4. The 1933 novelization has fallen into the public domain because the copyright was not renewed. This is the only aspect of KING KONG that is in the public domain. Anyone can publish the original novel but that's all they can do. In 2005, Cooper's estate published a new novelization of the King Kong story to establish a new official version.

So, in 1993 Turner would have controlled the 1933 film and some licensing rights connected to it (home video, toys based on that particular film, etc). But if Toho wanted to use the King Kong character in a new film they would have needed to make a deal with the estate of Merian Cooper. If they wanted to make a film now (which they don't), they'd have to license the rights from Universal.
Then again, the version of King Kong used in the game is from King Kong Lives, that one film that had both games only in Japan.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Keeping with my current mood of "let's actually speculate ****", how about this guy?

Expected Nightmare, huh? TOO BAD, BIGBY WOLF TIME!
Only games from TellTale I’ve played are Wallace and Gromit, Walking Dead, and Poker Night 2 so cant say I support Bigby.

Clementine in the other hand...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just got some random Danganrompa clips out of context. The series now has my curiosity.

Alright. How about this guy then?
If we're going to be binary about it, then he's a book character and therefore disqualified.

Honestly though, I think The Witcher III is a big enough title that it would be fine getting a character, especially if it gets even more popular installments in the future.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Did we ever establish if Geralt qualified? I remember that being debated...
I personally think he qualifies because the games have grown much bigger than the books.

Also, I was just trying to spark a fun discussion.

A speculation thread should be about having fun talking about what could get in, regardless of "evidence" or "likeliness"

Would be nice if we could get rid of this mentality of "it can't get in so shut the **** up" at some point.

Just because something seems impossible doesn't mean we can't have fun talking about it.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I personally think he qualifies because the games have grown much bigger than the books.

Also, I was just trying to spark a fun discussion.

A speculation thread should be about having fun talking about what could get in, regardless of "evidence" or "likeliness"

Would be nice if we could get rid of this mentality of "it can't get in so shut the **** up" at some point.

Just because something seems impossible doesn't mean we can't have fun talking about it.
In that case, let's talk Billy Hatcher.

Or Balan Wonderworld, like Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura wanted.

Ivander

Smash Legend
King Kong? Is it a bootleg or did they actually get the rights?
I believe Konami got the rights to produce a couple games in advertising King Kong Lives, same with The Goonies where Konami made 2 games based on The Goonies. Around that time, they made Konami Wai Wai World(which was only released in Japan), which was a crossover between different Konami games, and since they most likely had the rights at the time, they added Mikey and King Kong as characters, alongside the other characters I mentioned.
In the remake of Wai Wai World for mobile, they replaced Mikey and Kong with Upa and Penta, from Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa and Antarctic Adventure respectively.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Honestly I think Wild Hunt is big enough in the gaming sphere to break through the gaming-only rule. Unless you live in Eastern Europe, chances are you're gonna associate this guy with the games first.
Basically this.

Sakurai said he wants "gaming content", which could be interpreted in so many ways, including simply characters who are bigger in video games than any other media, which is how Bigby and Geralt stand a chance while Goku and Batman can't.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Keeping with my current mood of "let's actually speculate ****", how about this guy?
Me grading my initial hype if we got Bigby Wolf:
big b.png

But memes aside I don't know much about The Wolf Among Us, aside from Bigby being a werewolf. I haven't even played any Telltale games, so I'm not too familiar with the gameplay style. So I don't have any connection to the character, but a wolf/werewolf transformation mechanic could be cool. What would his stage be? Also, what's the music situation like in The Wolf Among Us? Any standout music tracks that would be cool to get a Smash remix?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
There is a saying as old as time.
It probably doesn’t mean anything, but if we can speculate on 2 coloured chairs, we can let 7NATOR speculate on a new Sonic character.
As long as it doesn't reach the insanity that was his theory on Shadow being in Bayonetta 3 and thus, in Smash Ultimate, then yeah, let him do as much reaching as he wants.

It'd be hypocritical of us chair lovers to deny him that right.

7NATOR

Smash Master
As long as it doesn't reach the insanity that was his theory on Shadow being in Bayonetta 3 and thus, in Smash Ultimate, then yeah, let him do as much reaching as he wants.

It'd be hypocritical of us chair lovers to deny him that right.
I still think Platinum games is doing something Sonic related, but it doesn't have to be Shadow in Bayonetta 3

It might be more realistic that it's some type of New Sonic game made by Platinum, maybe Sonic Adventure 3, maybe a new Shadow game, or something like that. I won't rule out the Bayonetta crossover, but I'm not as adamant about it as I was months ago

even without this though, I'm like 99% Shadow will be in this Fighter Pass, but that's just a personal take. you guys do you, I do me, I just like to give my thoughts and my speculation

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I still think Platinum games is doing something Sonic related, but it doesn't have to be Shadow in Bayonetta 3

It might be more realistic that it's some type of New Sonic game made by Platinum, maybe Sonic Adventure 3, maybe a new Shadow game, or something like that. I won't rule out the Bayonetta crossover, but I'm not as adamant about it as I was months ago

even without this though, I'm like 99% Shadow will be in this Fighter Pass, but that's just a personal take. you guys do you, I do me, I just like to give my thoughts and my speculation
Actually, wasn't there something about the Yakuza director expressing interest in doing a Sonic game? I'll have to dig around a little, but I think something was said that implied a more action-y Sonic game.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

You got that from three tweets among the hundreds that PlatinumGames has made.

Almost as if a company wasn't allowed to enjoy a character they're not working on or something.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Alright, so a friend of mine came up with a dumb theory (not mocking him, he says it's dumb too :p)

Victory Theme Theory, where every DLC has a unique victory theme.

:4pacman:
Now let's have a fun experiment with this.

Everyone tell this theory to PapaGenos. Let's see if we can mess up with his content through the sheer power of memes :4pacman:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually, wasn't there something about the Yakuza director expressing interest in doing a Sonic game? I'll have to dig around a little, but I think something was said that implied a more action-y Sonic game.
Yakuza Producer, Daisuke Sato, wants to take on developing a Sonic the Hedgehog Game : SonicTheHedgehog (reddit.com)

The actual article linked seems to not be working, but the Producer said he wants to take to developing a Sonic game

The actual creator of the Series also said this as well

Yakuza Creator Toshihiro Nagoshi Say’s We Will Get Sonic Games With A New Gameplay Style - The Tojo Dojo

and he's now creative chief officer of Sega

You got that from three tweets among the hundreds that PlatinumGames has made.

Almost as if a company wasn't allowed to enjoy a character they're not working on or something.
It was actually only 1 Tweet, but I'm not the only one that noticed this, as other people speuclated this could be what's happening as well

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Did we ever establish if Geralt qualified? I remember that being debated...
Sure he`s originally from a book, but as far as I recall there was never a stringent rule about characters absolutely needing to originate from a video game. I think Sakurai was specifically talking about characters fans didn`t really want but requested mostly as a joke (Goku, Shrek, Iron Man etc.) and would fit poorly with Smash as they are more known from other mediums than video games. Geralt on the other hand is probably mostly regarded as a character from video games and that`s where his popularity comes from. Besides, I don`t think people asking for his inclusion are joking or trolling either, that kind of culture just doesn`t exist around Witcher the same way it does for Shrek or whatever.

Personally, I just don`t care much about Geralt/Witcher and I`d rather keep Smash exclusive to video game original characters. The second Geralt steps into Smash, all the crazies are going to start stanning Goku...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Talking about Bigby and Geralt make me think about Hatsune Miku. I would say she's in the same situation as Geralt where she's not a video game character, but I would argue that her games are what makes her very popular (especially outside of Japan because there's not a lot of Vocaloid fans, so most people would know her for her games). Her games have sold 6 million units (as of 2018). This is a bit less than other Sega ip like Puyo puyo or Yakuza, but I would argue that she's actually more known than those two franchise because of how huge some of her music are (like Levan polka who have right now more than 23 million views on Youtube). I think she's in a really weird spot because of that, I'm not sure if Sakurai would make an exception for the non video game rules for her or not. Also she appeared in other video games like Persona dancing series, and Idolmaster and there's a Miku costume in Yakuza and Tales of so I think Sega and her creator would be open to see her in Smash.

Paraster

Smash Lord
What sort of splash text do you think your most wanted characters would get? I came up with a bunch for some characters I'd like:

Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!

Status